AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-01-07, 00:17   Link #1
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Linked folder settings?

Several years ago I had a peculiar problem with my computer in that when I changed the settings for one folder, such as how it views images or how its files are arranged, the same settings would get applied to a completely different folder on a completely different part of my computer. So, if I selected one folder containing images and set them to view them as a preview slideshow (I was on XP at the time), I could go off to, say, the directory for a game like Morrowind and find that suddenly, it too is now listed in a preview slideshow mode.

As far as I can tell, it began when I told my main image folder to apply all settings to the other folders contained within. It was fine for a while but then it started linking everything at seemingly random, based on the folder name, curiously enough--I had, at times, renamed folders and regain control of the settings for that particular folder. However, if I created a new folder and named it the same as the other folder when it was previously affected by this weird little glitch, it too would start linking to the folder it was connected to as the other folder had done before its rename.

After doing a complete wipe of the computer, the problem stopped and I made sure to never have any folder apply its settings to all sub-folders it contained. I have since gotten a new computer with Vista.

However, recently, the settings for my image folders have reset, so to speak, after I rearranged another file collection on my external hard-drive, and I am afraid that the folder linking has began anew. Has anyone heard of this? If so, does anyone know the exact causes, and a fix if this is indeed the case?
Old 2011-01-07, 00:43   Link #2
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The "Apply to All Folders" button actually applies the settings of that one folder to all folders on your computer (or rather, it ought to, sometimes it seems to miss a few).
Old 2011-01-07, 00:47   Link #3
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

No-no, it was a check box in the Customize tab of the folder properties. You select the folder property and check the box to apply those settings to all sub-folders as well. Which it, uh, didn't.