AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ouran Host Club

Notices

View Poll Results: Ouran Host Club Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 10 15.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 24.24%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 31.82%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 16.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 7.58%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.03%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.52%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-09, 14:18   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Ouran Host Club Episode 6 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Ouran Host Club, Episode 6.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-05-16 at 09:50.
Old 2006-05-09, 14:22   Link #2
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-09, 15:16   Link #3
^Aya^
Makkuro kurosuke

Send a message via ICQ to ^Aya^ Send a message via MSN to ^Aya^
Little summary?
Old 2006-05-09, 16:30   Link #4
Omniscient

Episode 06 Screencaps and Summary

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-09, 17:58   Link #5
dxgarten

Episode 06 screencaps and review

and if you haven't seen it, Sakura Kiss PV

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-09, 18:44   Link #6
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
LOL

Shiro called Tamaki "a genius". I haven't laughed so hard at that scene since this show began. 8)

Otherwise, a regular Ouran episode. Funny and pretty, but not the best one so far.

PS: So, Haruhi's appeal to Hostobu visitor is tennen-kei (being natural?). Cute. 8)

Last edited by MrProphet; 2006-05-09 at 19:05.
Old 2006-05-09, 19:53   Link #7
Paper Lilies

Send a message via AIM to Paper Lilies
Heh. That was a good one.

Spoiler:

Heh. Laughed so hard at that one.
Old 2006-05-10, 05:05   Link #8
hakasan

Tamaki's reactions to Shirou's 'king' and 'genius' cracked me up!
U know what, I'm aware that the series is not abt romance, but u know the little hints of it that is more apparent in the anime than manga between Tamaki and Haruhi in earlier episodes, are no more there in these recent episodes, just made me wonder after watching 6. Do u think are pulling away from putting in their own touches, and following more accordingly to manga???
Old 2006-05-10, 05:09   Link #9
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Shiro called Tamaki "a genius". I haven't laughed so hard at that scene since this show began. 8)
In the manga version of this scene, he has "genius" plastered across his forehead after Shirou calls him that

Quote:
PS: So, Haruhi's appeal to Hostobu visitor is tennen-kei (being natural?). Cute. 8)
Yup. This aspect seems a bit demphasised in the anime, but Haruhi is "tennen" (natural / spontaneous) at being a "host" - ie not in-your-face like Tamaki, and not calculated like the twins, but can get similar reactions from the girls. We should see another example of this at the beginning of ep 8, if the anime keeps following the manga closely...

PS How did you all like Haruhi in the middle-school uniform? (heheh, the guys just can't resist trying to dress Haruhi up as a girl). If the anime does go to 26 eps, we should see a mini-flashback to how Haruhi actually was in middle-school (damn, she's sooo cute in this bit of the manga).
Old 2006-05-10, 05:35   Link #10
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakasan
Tamaki's reactions to Shirou's 'king' and 'genius' cracked me up!
U know what, I'm aware that the series is not abt romance, but u know the little hints of it that is more apparent in the anime than manga between Tamaki and Haruhi in earlier episodes, are no more there in these recent episodes, just made me wonder after watching 6. Do u think are pulling away from putting in their own touches, and following more accordingly to manga???
The thing that most often annoys me about manga-to-anime conversions is the characters coming across a bit (or even significantly) different. Fortunately, the anime version of Host Club seems to have (mostly) avoided this. One thing I didn't like about the first ep is that we see Haruhi dress in the girls uniform at the end - doesn't happen in the manga. As far as I remember, the only time Haruhi has ever worn the Ouran high school girls uniform is in Tamaki's imagination (the medical exam part). But that was pretty much a once-off, and I felt a bit of nostalgia for the Utena anime with eps 2-3, which was nice.

The manga has a lot of little touches that only really work in manga (ie little side-comments from the author or put-downs from other characters), though the anime has kept a number of them. Some little scenes have been cut out - eg, in the manga chapter this ep is based upon, Honey starts playing a recorder on entering his old classroom, but that was cut out. The anime has also added some small touches and in some cases changed the setting. As others have noted, in this ep Renge turns up to do some things Tamaki did in the manga. But this fits in okay since that's pretty much what she does in the manga anyway.

I'd expect the anime to keep going this way - ie changing minor stuff, but keeping the characters and story pretty much the same. In which case, fans hoping for Haruhi to hook up with Tamaki will be dissapointed. Instead, things will broaden a bit - and ep 9 should add another match-up option
Old 2006-05-10, 06:14   Link #11
hakasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata
The thing that most often annoys me about manga-to-anime conversions is the characters coming across a bit (or even significantly) different. Fortunately, the anime version of Host Club seems to have (mostly) avoided this. One thing I didn't like about the first ep is that we see Haruhi dress in the girls uniform at the end - doesn't happen in the manga. As far as I remember, the only time Haruhi has ever worn the Ouran high school girls uniform is in Tamaki's imagination (the medical exam part). But that was pretty much a once-off, and I felt a bit of nostalgia for the Utena anime with eps 2-3, which was nice.

The manga has a lot of little touches that only really work in manga (ie little side-comments from the author or put-downs from other characters), though the anime has kept a number of them. Some little scenes have been cut out - eg, in the manga chapter this ep is based upon, Honey starts playing a recorder on entering his old classroom, but that was cut out. The anime has also added some small touches and in some cases changed the setting. As others have noted, in this ep Renge turns up to do some things Tamaki did in the manga. But this fits in okay since that's pretty much what she does in the manga anyway.

I'd expect the anime to keep going this way - ie changing minor stuff, but keeping the characters and story pretty much the same. In which case, fans hoping for Haruhi to hook up with Tamaki will be dissapointed. Instead, things will broaden a bit - and ep 9 should add another match-up option
Actually Haruhi was also wearing girl's unform in 1st episode towards the end, when Tamaki found out. That part I thk manga was different. Tamaki found out that Haruhi was a girl by accidentally picking up Haruhi's student pass, as in anime, he walked in on Haruhi when she was changing.
Yes, I understand what u r saying..... Sigh........... True.......
Old 2006-05-10, 09:40   Link #12
wao
OK.

Hm, this ep was indeed not as funny as the previous ones - I think it goes to show that a lot of this show depends on the precise directing and execution of the gags and storyline and intermixing of humour and drama... The nature of the show is that a lot of it is very graphical - so if the drawings aren't good enough and the timing is just a little off, it just isn't as funny.
This ep wasn't animated by BONES anyway, if you look at the credits the animation was produced by someone else (though the composite and background art are the same team).

Still - it's a heck of a lot funnier than most shows I've watched recently. Renge may have dragged a bit, but I simply love the way she appears on that gigantic contraption, it's so perfectly cheesy! And the twins + Tamaki's reaction to Haruhi telling them to zip up was well done. While it was predictable as to why Tamaki wanted Haruhi to do the undercover-middle-school-student act, I still got a kick seeing Kyouya tell it straight to his face .

But I swear, they're not just limiting the appeal of this show to girls... they've really put in a lot of effort on Haruhi, and it shows in the quality of drawing for her this episode. I think it's quite effective (though I'm not a guy!)
Old 2006-05-12, 01:37   Link #13
riznar
Save the Lesbians!

I wasn't a fan of this little bit in the manga, so I wasn't looking forward to this episode. I actually really liked Renge's taking over of what Tamaki did in the manga, I felt it was an improvement. Of course, I just think Renge is hilarious and am super glad she's got a bigger part in the anime.

Also, being a guy this is the first time that Haruhi was drawn with long hair that I didn't go "ick". I'd have to look closer to figure out what was different, but I have a final in the morning so it isn't a priority.
Old 2006-05-12, 08:31   Link #14
mokenju

Thumbs up

I've been very surprised with this episode because I thought it was a kind of filler and people seemed to hate the little rascal (poor boy heheh). In fact imho it was a Tamaki centered episode throwing some light to his complicated personality (so similar to the brat's ). My favorite moments:

Spoiler:

It seems the battle between sun and moon is now in his highest if you know what I mean (eclipse?) . But like Tamaki says is good, good, very good because we can have the subs so fast. Thank you very much to all the fansubs for their great and hard work .
Old 2006-05-12, 09:13   Link #15
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznar
Also, being a guy this is the first time that Haruhi was drawn with long hair that I didn't go "ick". I'd have to look closer to figure out what was different, but I have a final in the morning so it isn't a priority.
Yeah, she looked a lot better with long hair this time around. Maybe it was the middle school uniform's effect? I'm not really sure.
Old 2006-05-12, 10:37   Link #16
mangafanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
This ep wasn't animated by BONES anyway, if you look at the credits the animation was produced by someone else (though the composite and background art are the same team).

I didn't notice the studio details, but I nearly immediately noticed this episode has a much lower production value than the previous episodes. I know that it's to be expected, but I hope this is the exception to the general rule, rather than the future trend. The nature of Host club's humor, to a very large extent, hinges on the quality of its animation to pull off the gags.

Personally, this episode was a little disappointing to me. It just felt a little. . . filler. I know that's absurd since this show is pretty episodic to begin with, but this was simply the first episode that didn't strike me as brilliantly funny. However, I'm sure my overall impression of the animation enforced this opinion in me though.

Oh well, no show is perfect. Let's hope next week returns us to the brilliant heights of previous episodes.

Last edited by mangafanatic; 2006-05-12 at 13:54.
Old 2006-05-12, 11:49   Link #17
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I loved this episode simply because of the more obvious hinting between a TamakixHaruhi pairing, and also because it's still really funny.
Old 2006-05-12, 13:24   Link #18
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Just watched this episode...9 out of 10. The point missing is claimed by Suzumiya Haruhi and will never return...
I freakin' love Hikaru and Kaoru...soooooo cool...and this episode have brought a new level of their coolness out!

Last edited by iamandragon; 2006-05-12 at 14:46.
Old 2006-05-12, 21:34   Link #19
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Just wondering...

Did anyone notice a change in the Opening credits?

At the very start, when we first see Honey-sempai at the staircase, Renge appears for a brief moment, jumping up and down to get our attention.

It seems Renge is a permanent character now.
Old 2006-05-12, 21:49   Link #20
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Renge is AWESOME! XD And I agree with Tamaki and the twins, middle-schooler-Haruhi is very cute. *points at new sig sliver*

About the brat... I wouldn't be as annoyed at him if he didn't end up with dozens of girls in his arms. Wait... I hope that isn't jealousy talking...

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Closed Thread