AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2018-02-25, 01:32   Link #1
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Pyeongchang Winter Olympics 2018

So how's this year's Winter Games been for those following it?

Personally follow mainly figure skating and am quite satisfied so far despite the usual ISU messes. Other events were entertaining for me too, particularly alpine and cross-country skiing.

(Curling has so many games though....I think their players get the least rest time in between matches)
Old 2018-02-25, 16:47   Link #2
Toukairin
Banned

Being from Canada, I was very happy at the many medals we won although I wished we did better in certain disiplines.

My favorite performance was the one by Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir in ice dancing (of which they first showed in the teams' competition). They truly earned their legendary status with their 4th and 5th career Olympic medals. When you watch their free program inspired by Moulin Rouge, you really want to actually believe they are a real couple with a perfect chemistry.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2018-02-25 at 22:23.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-25, 21:26   Link #3
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Yeah, a grand way to end their career. The gold was set to be rightfully theirs from the get go. Am also quite pleased the Shibutanis managed the bronze despite all the criticism aimed at them.

Speaking of Canadian skating, Kaetlyn Osmond managing to pull through in the Ladies' free program was also a surprise
Old 2018-02-26, 12:46   Link #4
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
Being from Canada, I was very happy at the many medals we won although I wished we did better in certain disiplines.

My favorite performance was the one by Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir in ice dancing (of which they first showed in the teams' competition). They truly earned their legendary status with their 4th and 5th career Olympic medals. When you watch their free program inspired by Moulin Rouge, you really want to actually believe they are a real couple with a perfect chemistry.
You Cans cheated! YOU CHEATING CANS! (I'm trying to make a dumb fake offensive term for Canadians if that is one I'm sorry )

You guys are all snow. Unfair!
Old 2018-02-27, 01:46   Link #5
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Yeah, a grand way to end their career. The gold was set to be rightfully theirs from the get go. Am also quite pleased the Shibutanis managed the bronze despite all the criticism aimed at them.

Speaking of Canadian skating, Kaetlyn Osmond managing to pull through in the Ladies' free program was also a surprise
Yeah, I really enjoyed watching the Shibutanis. I can only imagine how hard it must have been for them with so many trolls hitting at them for being siblings who perform a discipline with that much contact. Nevertheless, chemistry in ice dancing is just like chemistry in acting. Either you have it right or you don't. The Shibutanis have that chemistry, so kudos to them.

As for Kaetlyn, her medal is a great example of perseverance. Many people including herself thought that her Olympic dreams were finished when she suffered that broken leg a little more than 3 years ago. When stories like that come into your ears, you can only sit back and admire the determination from those athletes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
You Cans cheated! YOU CHEATING CANS! (I'm trying to make a dumb fake offensive term for Canadians if that is one I'm sorry )

You guys are all snow. Unfair!
Meh! Don't think I have ever heard of that before.

As for the medals, it's mostly about hard work and then having a little bit of luck. Finland has lots of snow, but they didn't do as well as their other Scadinavian brothers.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2018-02-27 at 20:54.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-27, 10:22   Link #6
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
Yeha, I really enjoyed watching the Shibutanis. I can only imagine how hard it must have been for them with so many trolls hitting at them for being siblings who perform a discipline with that much contact. Nevertheless, chemistry in ice dancing is just like chemistry in acting. Either you have it right or you don't. The Shibutanis have that chemistry, so kudos to them.

As for Kaetlyn, her medal is a great example of perseverance. Many people including herself thought that her Olympic dreams were finished when she suffered that broken leg a little more thhan 3 years ago. When stories like that come into your ears, you can only sit back and admire the determination from those athletes.
More worrying now is Yuzu's future. He basically said in the return press conference his only goal now is to move past the treatment for his injured ankle. Apparently he could barely function without painkillers. Pretty much insane that he can still defend his gold title but let's hope the price isn't having to give up skating

Zhenya also need did quite well IMO. Many criticize her skating but her FS looks much improved compared to before. Of course people will say she still flutzed but then again, few skaters had 100% clean skates this Olympics

Anyway, I'll certainly miss Soohorang now =/