AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2009-10-18, 02:22   Link #321
Alchemist007
*Author

Entertainment is entertainment. That's my conclusion.
Old 2009-10-18, 05:43   Link #322
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
I think each series has a point were it gets saturated if it outlives the initial excitement. Naruto held up for many years so good for it. But it went past its prime years ago.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 07:59   Link #323
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I'm not an avid or even a minor fan of "Naruto". It's not that i don't want to but I just can't. The thought "why don't these guys use guns to instant KO each other?" keeps retaliating my brain cells as I painfully watch.
Hasn't Kishimoto already stated that his world is a modern one, albeit with no modern weaponry a sufficient amount of times?

A lot of the stuff in this thread is complete garbage, at least do your homework so you're not thrown in with the rest of the pile.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 12:47   Link #324
roriconfan
Banned

^ And of course filler movies were each villain had an army of guns, robots, tanks and were still beaten by claping hands don't count...
Old 2009-10-18, 15:11   Link #325
raito20

I think because of the emotional attachement due to great character development, and moments that are so corny you get carried away with them, overall the characters have a backround that as tragic as it is somehow reflects how every teenager feels, and make viewers relate.
raito20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 15:47   Link #326
Ashramaru
☻1st Class☻

Send a message via AIM to Ashramaru Send a message via MSN to Ashramaru
I really have no idea why Naruto is so popular. If you ever watch American Kids in the mall they are even clad with their Narutard Head Bands. I guess its the Power Rangers of this time, however I just can not stand the American Dubs they make me want to kill myself. The Naruto voice actor needs to die, that high pitched whiny voice will forever resonate in my head.
"Lastly, hidden with the bottom confines of the ship lays “The Dreamer”, with his eye closed and quill in hand he rests. His dreams, his ambition, his strife will be transcended to all those on this voyage."

Currently Working On: The Last Bible|IMAGINE
Ashramaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 17:32   Link #327
Spicy~Noodles
It's been a while....

you better buhhhhhlieve it. lol death to the voice actor.
Spicy~Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-30, 14:11   Link #328
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Naruto is popular because it mixes action with an elaborate world full of possibilities...with a focus on the simplest, most easily comprehensible aspects of the latter. Think about it: throughout the series there have been a number of branching points where it could have taken a more thoughtful turn. The political landscape of the world would actually be very interesting to explore, especially in scenarios like Amegakure, which became the rest of the world's battlefield. The economic situation back in the Land of Waves had the opportunity to be a fascinating subject.

Potential threads like this, which never actually get fleshed out, are a hook for the analytical crowd, who will explore them anyway because those types of readers like to extrapolate. As for the readers who are not so inclined, the easier, more universal concepts like friendship, love, trust and betrayal are the focus of the story.

When you get right down to it, Naruto has never at its core really been about its very loose interpretation of 'ninja' or their world. It has always been about the need for companionship, the consequences of losing it and the lengths people will go to satisfy that need. It's a set of concepts everyone can relate to on some level. Then you take that and add punches, kicks and explosions.
Old 2009-11-02, 16:31   Link #329
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

VIOLENCE (that's kinda censored), POLITICAL INTRIGUE, HEROES, ANTI-HEROES, ROMANCE, DECEPTION, LIES and BOOBIES.

lol seriously though something naruto does right is that it leaves a LOT to the imagination and gives room for readers to discuss things in depth and to their hearts content--a series that seems to answer everything isn't all that fun. naruto also has a large palette of characters & they are pretty easy to relate too. plus while i tend to be a hypocritical asshat and complain about how unrealistic naruto is, i think a lot of people enjoy how closer it is to our world despite the setting being so fantastical. seeing characters breakdown after a fight and all the chessy speeches characters give are annoying but at the same time something we can smile at too
mellomarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-02, 16:39   Link #330
JC...
I am a Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashramaru View Post
I really have no idea why Naruto is so popular. If you ever watch American Kids in the mall they are even clad with their Narutard Head Bands. I guess its the Power Rangers of this time, however I just can not stand the American Dubs they make me want to kill myself. The Naruto voice actor needs to die, that high pitched whiny voice will forever resonate in my head.

I'm not an american, but I am TOBI!!!!!!!!! i gotta save up for a headband
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-02, 18:40   Link #331
yakumo-chan

because of HINATA!!!
Old 2009-11-03, 02:28   Link #332
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
VIOLENCE (that's kinda censored), POLITICAL INTRIGUE, HEROES, ANTI-HEROES, ROMANCE, DECEPTION, LIES and BOOBIES.

lol seriously though something naruto does right is that it leaves a LOT to the imagination and gives room for readers to discuss things in depth and to their hearts content--a series that seems to answer everything isn't all that fun. naruto also has a large palette of characters & they are pretty easy to relate too. plus while i tend to be a hypocritical asshat and complain about how unrealistic naruto is, i think a lot of people enjoy how closer it is to our world despite the setting being so fantastical. seeing characters breakdown after a fight and all the chessy speeches characters give are annoying but at the same time something we can smile at too
What I also believe. It speaks to the immature kid inside us all.
Old 2009-11-22, 21:28   Link #333
woodyfly

Naruto is something that everybody can enjoy. It is not too deep, not too controversial, not too bloody, etc.

It's something that is in the middle and anybody can enjoy it.
woodyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 05:01   Link #334
sakurafice

in my opinion it's a quality, all round anime...it's not incredibly bad, as some people claim it to be, you either like it, or you don't
but don't fall for fan based hype, everyone has their preferences...
sakurafice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 04:39   Link #335
roriconfan
Banned

It would be a far better series without the fillers... and the overdone use of stock footage in flashbacks. And if maybe the power of friendship wasn't able to do miracles THAT much. It has all the good elements of a great story but keeps tripping on trying to slow things down for money or until Kishi himself knows how to go on.
Old 2010-04-16, 08:32   Link #336
SakuraNinjaDream
Future Hokage

I don't know,to be honest I just enjoy it.It's had scenes that have made me laugh and cry and it's just entertaining overall.Theire is a variety of characters who have unique personalitys,and it is all fanatasy i.e the walking on water.I have loved it for nearly a year now and I have been moved by it in so many ways.
SakuraNinjaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 18:54   Link #337
tkdtiger

I like'd naruto for it's many interesting characters. I liked seeing characters like Lee and Shikamaru. Sadly I must admit it's not the same, but it's still fun for me to read.
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 21:34   Link #338
Marka13

(this rant is copied from one of my Deviantart journals)

(WARNING!!!! This rant contains spoilers!!! You have been WARNED!!!)
You know, I've been looking around lately and seeing all the hatred towards Naruto and have begun to wonder why and what the series has done to earn so much negative feedback. It's pretty creative series with a lot of good ideas (and it's fair share of bad ones XD). But when you compare it to Bleach....Bleach has a lot of creative ideas (the Shinigami, Zanpakuto, Hollows, etc.)but when you get down to it, it's the typical story of a main character fighting for "justice" and saving the world from the evil that wants to destroy it. Naruto has it's cliche moments but instead of focusing on the salvation of the world, it's more about the bond between people, corruption of the heart, always striving for you dreams; there really is no single way to describe the story of Naruto. And while many believe Bleach has better artwork that Naruto, I love Kishi's artwork.
Naruto also has really good characters and good character development, not to mention his battles (while long and sometimes droning) usually break the stereotypical shonen style. Probably my favorite element about Naruto is its connection to Japanese Legend and Mythology. Kishi sets it up brilliantly! Sarutobi (the 3rd Hokage) is named after Sarutobi Sasuke (also the namesake of Uchiha Sasuke) the legend who was supposedly the first ninja and was rumored to have been raised by monkeys (hence why Sarutobi's summon is Enma-The Monkey King). We have Jiraya, Orochimaru and Tsunade, who were also named after legends that summoned, yep, frogs, snakes, and sulgs. Only, in the legend, Tsunade was Jiraya's wife, and both were killed by Orochimaru (only to be brought back to life) who was a former disciple of Jiraya.
The Amaterasu, Tsukuyomi and Susano we named after the Kami Siblings. Amaterasu was the goddess of the sun (hence the flames) Tsukuyomi the god of the moon (hence the moon that's always hanging the the background during the illusions) and Susano god of the sea (don't know if there is all connection there XD). The three were the children of Izanagi; Amaterasu was born when Izanagi washed out his left eye (also the eye that Itachi used to cast the Amaterasu), Tsukuyomi was born from the washing of the right eye (Itachi's eye for the Tsukuyomi), and Susano from the washing of the nose. Susano's ethereal "armor" that results acts as an extension of the users will, wielding a spirit sword, mirror shield and adorned with a pointy-nosed headpiece; this also references two of the three regalia treasures mentioned above using similar names, and the origins of Susano'o by legend of birth from the washing of Izanagi's nose. Also, according to legend, Susano fought the Yamato-no-Orochi (a giant eight-headed snake) whom he defeated and drew the Kusanagi from its tail. Sound familiar? When Itachi used Susano, he fought against Orochimaru who was in the form of a eight-headed serpent, and Orochimaru's sword was the Kusanagi.
There are a lot of things I could go on about, but I might make your eyes bleed XD
But we all know about Naruto's bad moments, my personal favorite being Nagato's quick change of heart after a five minute talk with Naruto...seriously Kishi? XD Also there's the newly discussed Moon's Eye Plan. While it's not stereotypical (ex. I want to destroy the world for no good reason) Madara wants to take over the world by brainwashing it to create peace. Normally I would applaud the unique goal but unfortunately Assassin's Creed beat Kishi to it XD.
None the less, this still doesn't explain the great despise towards the series. I hope I'm not the only one who says I'm a Naruto fan and people give me THE look (aka "Oh, you're one of those people.."). Thus I have come to the conclusion that it is the so-called "Narutards" that ruin the reputation of the series AND it's fans. Which makes much, much sense. Because no matter how good something is, Obsessive Hype completely destroys it! And I admit to once being one of those Tards and trust me when I say I am NEVER going back! That was a dark cruel place XD
Old 2010-04-19, 04:31   Link #339
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka13 View Post
You know, I've been looking around lately and seeing all the hatred towards Naruto and have begun to wonder why and what the series has done to earn so much negative feedback. It's pretty creative series with a lot of good ideas (and it's fair share of bad ones XD). But when you compare it to Bleach....Bleach has a lot of creative ideas (the Shinigami, Zanpakuto, Hollows, etc.)but when you get down to it, it's the typical story of a main character fighting for "justice" and saving the world from the evil that wants to destroy it. Naruto has it's cliche moments but instead of focusing on the salvation of the world, it's more about the bond between people, corruption of the heart, always striving for you dreams; there really is no single way to describe the story of Naruto.
To put it simply... while trying to do something more than what is typical of a shonen and trying to address more serious issues is indeed an admirable quality, it is ultimately meaningless if it is not executed well and is covered in lots of poor writing... Also bleach gets it's fair share of hatred aswell

Last edited by Slayerx; 2010-04-19 at 04:47.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 06:28   Link #340
roriconfan
Banned

Naruto lost a lot of the steam it had at first. Hatred is a thing to follow.

If you ask me "why", I can pinpoint the time it all started to go downhill. It was during the Sasuke rescue mission. Before that, each new area revealed a new aspect of the world, plus someone important was dying. During that arc, not only nothing new was revealed about the world (even Itachi's flashback was long and kinda troll and the valley with the statues had its history revealed a lot later) but also many characters miraculously survived.

Plus, the pace of the story slows down more and more. Which kinda contradicts the whole deal of empowering and training. A character who becomes stronger should speed up things and not drag down further. At least not like that. Also, the objective of the series became too clear and dragged as well. Save Sasuke, stop Akatsuki can keep you interested only for a certain amount of time.