AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-07, 12:00   Link #1
_gallo_

Kuuchuu Buranko (Trapeze)

Seems nobody has opened a thread for this yet.

New anime form Mononoke's team which will be aired in the Noitamina block this fall. It's based on a novel by Okuda Hideo which won the Naoki Prize in 2004. In 2005 the novel got also a TV Drama adaptation. Official site: http://www.kuchu-buranko.com/

Staff:
Director: Nakamura Kenji ("Mononoke")
Assistant: Kimitochi Chioka ("Hakaba Kitaro", noitamina version)
Character Designer: Hashimoto Takashi ("Mononoke")
Series Composition : Manabu Ishikawa ("Mononoke")
Script : Isao Murayama, Tomoko Taguchi
Art Director: Shoji Tokiwa
Photography: Kazuhiro Yamada (director of photography of two Manglobe's series)
Music: Hideharu Mori
Production Studio: Toei Animation

Cover:
Spoiler:

Short synopsis:
Irabu Ichiro is an eccentric psychiatrist. Patients, who visit him to have a counseling, are perplexed with his weird behavior.

Actually I don't know anything about this novel, but Mononoke is one of the greatest anime of these last years ever made, so I hope for something really good from Nakamura.

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy

Last edited by _gallo_; 2009-10-05 at 14:54.
Old 2009-07-07, 17:24   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Synopsis:
Irabu Ichiro is an eccentric psychiatrist. Patients, who visit him to have a counseling, are perplexed with his weird behavior.
Old 2009-07-09, 04:52   Link #3
NeoSam

Official site for the TV anime series has opened:
http://www.kuchu-buranko.com/

The anime will be a total of 11 episdoes with each episode being 30 minutes long.
Old 2009-07-09, 05:41   Link #4
wao
OK.

You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to this.

October better hurry the hell up!

Man, it seems like Noitamina is all I watch these days
Old 2009-07-09, 06:22   Link #5
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Quote:
New anime form Mononoke team
I'm sold! Wow, with this and Despera, waiting is such torture!
Old 2009-07-09, 07:43   Link #6
Woland
Latin Rascal

Just a little thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by _gallo_ View Post
Character Designer: Hashimoto Takashi ("Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror")
Hashimoto is only Character designer (and chief animator) for the bakeneko arc of Ayakashi, and, of course, for the whole Mononoke. So as you said in the premise is indeed a new series from Mononoke team
Old 2009-07-09, 08:17   Link #7
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Oh god yes, Mononoke was a masterpiece.
Old 2009-07-09, 09:15   Link #8
_gallo_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
Just a little thing

Hashimoto is only Character designer (and chief animator) for the bakeneko arc of Ayakashi, and, of course, for the whole Mononoke. So as you said in the premise is indeed a new series from Mononoke team
Fixed, now it's clearer.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, this is Hideo Okuda's second book with Doctor Irabu as protagonist. The first one is “In the Pool” which was published in 2002 and had a great success in Japan. You can find a good reading here (thanks to AnimeDays) which explains a little of the author's style and the behavior of the main character.

Just to speculate a bit, I did read that "Kuchu Buranko" consists of 5 stories, each featuring a different patient:
  • Kūchū Buranko (which gave the title to the book)
  • Harinezumi
  • Yôfu no zura
  • Hot Corner
  • Joryû sakka
Now I wonder if Nakamura will structure the series into different arcs of 2 or 3 episodes each for every story. Mononoke had a similar structure in that sense. Also, 5 stories seems a bit too much for an eleven episodes series, so I guess he would probably select just 3 or 4 of them. And like Mononoke, for each story there could be a different scriptwriter and maybe a different storyboarder too. I don't know if it is possible, but the book isn't really long and it could be a good way to adapt it into anime.

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy

Last edited by _gallo_; 2009-07-09 at 09:29.
Old 2009-07-09, 19:01   Link #9
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by _gallo_ View Post

New anime form Mononoke team
And you have my utter attention!!

Quote:
Actually I don't know anything about this novel, but Mononoke is one of the greatest anime of these last years ever made
QFT!

Am I right in seeing this will be a fall release? Im basing this off the date Im seeing on the offical page but someone please let me know if Im wrong since I cant read it
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2009-07-09, 19:04   Link #10
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Reading Mononoke brings me to this thread. I'm sold at just that.
Old 2009-07-28, 02:39   Link #11
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

From Chartfag's list:

Quote:
In modern Japan, people visit "doctors of neurology" rather than therapists. Dr. Ichiro Irabu is an eccentric neurologist with an injection fetish, an Oedipus complex and a green Porsche, known for making patients much worse before they get better.
I was born to see this.
Old 2009-08-01, 18:19   Link #12
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
i have high hopes on this.
Old 2009-08-25, 21:47   Link #13
solomon

Am working on translating the character readouts on wiki for those interested, check back tommorow.
Old 2009-08-25, 22:30   Link #14
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Don't forget to post a link.

I'm interested too in this series. I think the only down part is the fact the production company is the dreaded, cheapskate Toei. On a brighter note, the synopsis doesn't indicate the show will require flamboyant movement to capture its audience. Sounds like the merit of the show is its story told words-heavy dialogues.
Old 2009-08-25, 23:13   Link #15
solomon

i don't know if you saw Mononoke but that was in fact Toei.

Toei is to be rightly condemmed for their mainly bottom of the barrel production quality but it's not a 100% factor. The 6th and 9th One piece movies were well done as was the Digimon films (directed by Mamoru Hosoda who did TokiKake). Also, Ashita no Nadja was very nice and individial eps of One Piece approach a quality of those special Naruto eps, so while rare, they can make good stuff.

I don't know how but the Director Kenji Nakamura seems to attract talented animators and stylists to his work, so he will probably make like Mononoke and get a lotta good freelance people, along with whatever talented people Toei has on staff. (At least I hope)
Old 2009-08-26, 13:32   Link #16
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

The team working on this is basically the same that worked on Mononoke so that should be the least of our worries. I'm extremely excited for this anime.
Old 2009-08-26, 17:44   Link #17
solomon

Here is my translation/clean up of the character read out. I think I got most of the important stuff;

Spoiler for Characters:
Old 2009-09-10, 15:43   Link #18
MidnightReverie
Senior Lurker

Talking

The website updated with seiyuu information and images. Irabu Ichiro's big, middle and small versions will be voiced Mitsuya Yuji and Paku Romi.

Spoiler for First three episodes info:

Last edited by MidnightReverie; 2009-09-30 at 14:47. Reason: fixed up mistakes
Old 2009-09-10, 16:20   Link #19
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I can die happily after seeing the seiyuu for epi 2
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2009-09-10, 16:28   Link #20
monir
cho~ kakkoii

lol..hold on to that thought Manju. I'm excited too.
Closed Thread

Tags
nakamura, noitamina