AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-03-02, 15:58   Link #1
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Smashcraft!

So I realize that although there is a SC2 thread, once upon a time, DotA became separate from the War3 thread, which is lost to the asuki forum's depths.

So, I decided to make a thread for Smashcraft, which is quite possibly the most amazing SC2 custom EV4R.

Anyhow, for all the newbies in the house, Smashcraft is a game similar to bloodline champions, except without the silly cartoon look, and with Daisuke Ishiwatari's rocking music blaring. Suffice to say, the gameplay gets very fast-paced to the point that it gets tough to make hero distinctions in mirror matches.

In other words: take your usual hero arena or DotA-style game.

Now instead of playing a 60 minute game with 10 minutes of fighting, throw out all of the last-hitting/laning/farming/running to heal/reviving/fountain trips/shopping trips/non-PvP stuff and cut straight to the 3v3 team fights.

Furthermore, unlike the usual warcraft 3 games and their spinoffs, there are no guaranteed attacks in Smashcraft, not even your basic one. The entire game functions off of a foundation called "hit scan" which allows terrain to become a part of gameplay like never before.

Hero classes are divided into four categories: Guardians (tanks), Assaults (DPS, or what top players like to call "deeps", Psions (energy-based burst damage), and supports (focus on healing/buffing/debuffing). The general rule is that the more deeps and range a hero has, the squishier it is, so a proper composition will run a good mix of sturdiness, damage, and maybe even healing/buffing.

While I'd like to write more *here*, many of the guides and information to the game can be found on our official forums, www.playsmashcraft.com

Also of note is that there is a cash-money tournament with professional shoutcasters happening on Friday at 9 PM eastern time. While the competition is fierce, so far, there are only maybe three to four well-established teams, with more joining every week.

Overall, I encourage as many players as possible (aka those of you that have Starcraft 2) to come to channel "Smashcraft" on the North American servers (and possibly others) and see how you like the game. Even the game's top players are willing to teach newbies.

To put a case in point, I've only been playing the game several weeks, and I'm doing half-decently already. This isn't to say the skill ceiling isn't high--it's very much so, but there are next to no barriers to entry (such as dexterity tests, ridiculous timing windows, collecting zillions of cards whether physical or not, crazy APM requirements (aside from a small case on one hero, and she's the hardest in the game to play because of it), memorization of tons of different set strategies), and the only thing that keeps you from winning is the skill of your opponents.

I recommend everyone go try it, and if you'd like, register for the upcoming tournament. I can pretty much assure you that even if you exit early, by tuning in to the shoutcast, you will get a chance to enjoy yourself.

For those who are new to the game, check out my primer for new players.

http://www.playsmashcraft.com/viewto...9&p=3852#p3852

Last edited by Demongod86; 2011-03-02 at 16:24.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-02, 16:28   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Dunno why but seeing them rip off the blazblue sounds really pissed me off. Is it still there in the last version they have now?
Old 2011-03-02, 16:46   Link #3
Demongod86

Of course it's still in the last version. That's part of the fun of the game, and really adds to the stage ambiance IMO.

Do you get angry when you watch a clip of Smash Brothers on youtube set to something like, oh, the JENOVA theme from FFVII Advent Children?

Also, the music is part of the game just like the

KILLING SPREE!
DOMINATING!
MEGA KILL!
UNSTOPPABLE!
WICKED SICK!
M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!
GODLIKE!
HOLY SHIT!

sounds were part of DotA, when they came from Unreal Tournament originally.

Of course if you really don't like it, you can just turn the music off with CTRL+M and turn on your own music instead.
Old 2011-03-02, 17:34   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Blazblue sounds don't really make sense in other game. I'm not pissed about using the music, but about things like rebel 1 or the wheel of fate is turning. The DotA sounds were typical jargon long before unreal tournament ever used them. Also DotA have their own version (that just sound very similar). If you're gonna "borrow" you better make a better game to justify it! DotA using the sounds is like a homage, in this one (at least for now) all it's doing is little more then soiling the reputation.
Old 2011-03-02, 18:00   Link #5
Demongod86

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Blazblue sounds don't really make sense in other game. I'm not pissed about using the music, but about things like rebel 1 or the wheel of fate is turning. The DotA sounds were typical jargon long before unreal tournament ever used them. Also DotA have their own version (that just sound very similar). If you're gonna "borrow" you better make a better game to justify it! DotA using the sounds is like a homage, in this one (at least for now) all it's doing is little more then soiling the reputation.
OHHHHHHHH. *Those*.

Considering I don't have the $ yet to buy a PS3, an HDTV and the BB games, I happen to like the added Daisuke atmosphere. After all, what's the number one reason that the GG and BB series are so awesome?

The music, and the charm of the announcer.

I don't think that's just something that fits into those specific fighters.

But yeah, the game *does* borrow from Daisuke Ishiwatari and Arcsys.

But is that so wrong? That company makes phenomenal games, and Smashcraft IMO lives up to the standard.
Old 2011-03-02, 18:16   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
and Smashcraft IMO lives up to the standard.
Unless I missed the 50 page mechanics explanation for this mod, I'm pretty sure you're jocking. You do know enough about blazblue to the level of at least the dev tutorials on the so called "basic" mechanics and combos, I hope. I'm not really seeing the requirement of putting hours on end to master even simple strategies in this one, so I would say no.

BTW, why did you not rip off GG:Overture? it would seem more appropriate for this type of game. But then again, even that one has a higher mastery level; but at least it's not played competitively.
Old 2011-03-02, 18:58   Link #7
Demongod86

There actually is a music track from GG Overture on the new stage.

And there aren't 50 page mechanic explanations for this mod. Hitscan is pretty basic, dude. In your usual RTS, whenever you tell a unit to attack another unit, all the attacks will connect unless there's a random event that say they missed (EG Demon Hunter evasion in warcraft 3). Hitscan takes out the guaranteed hit. It's literally the same exact thing as in FPSs.

A) Did your attack actually hit your target
B) Was there a piece of terrain blocking your attack from hitting

The entire rest of the game is about as simple as your basic hero arena.

Oh, and the basic strategies get learned pretty quickly. Most of the skill ceiling comes from team coordination.
Old 2011-03-02, 19:00   Link #8
Kyuu
=^^=

I have yet to play some Smash. However, I'll be lookin' to play.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-02, 19:07   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@Demongod86, yes that's my point: there isn't. For blazblue there-is, and just to cover the n00b basics. So, going back to the original point, it's not "living up to the standard" (as you put it) just like a 3rd rate RTS isn't up to the SC/SC2 standards. Anyway, no need to debate over this further; I've said what I wanted to say. Good luck with your mod.
Old 2011-03-03, 13:56   Link #10
Demongod86

Ehhh, I'm not so certain that a game must have 50-page manuals. A worth of a game isn't defined by its barriers to entry. At least I wouldn't hope so.

Anyhow, once again, I'd like to remind everyone that there *will* be a tournament tomorrow, and it will be casted from justin.tv/emcltv or justin.tv/pocketsocks

Signups are still open.
Old 2011-03-03, 20:53   Link #11
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Tomorrow huh? Don't people have classes/work? haha.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 21:33   Link #12
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

A tournament? I should watch and see if I'm interested. I just worry that, because of how Starcraft II handles custom games, most games won't be newbie friendly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
After all, what's the number one reason that the GG and BB series are so awesome?

The music, and the charm of the announcer.
At least for BBCS, I hope not....
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 10:46   Link #13
Demongod86

Okay guys, tournament starts at 9 PM EST today. I believe the cast channel is justin.tv/emcltv
Old 2011-03-04, 18:41   Link #14
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Eastern time.... I can't tell what time that would be for Central but a tournament for Smashcraft hmm. That just makes me more curious to check it our due to how its popularity spirals upwards.
Old 2011-03-04, 20:37   Link #15
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Eastern time.... I can't tell what time that would be for Central but a tournament for Smashcraft hmm. That just makes me more curious to check it our due to how its popularity spirals upwards.
It starts in 25 minutes. Is it more popular than SotIS right now?
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 21:42   Link #16
Demongod86

GUYS. Tourney streaming NOW

www.justin.tv/emcltv

GOGOGOGOGOGOGO
Old 2011-03-05, 01:03   Link #17
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Ah, missed it by a long shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
It starts in 25 minutes. Is it more popular than SotIS right now?
Based on the progress I've seen ever since TotalBiscuit made a broadcast on the best custom-made map. People have shown quite alot of interest in this game based on that preview alone, there is also the beta testers, as well as the people who just hear it from friends. Based on its addictive gamestyle (if you are into this gameplay) then I can't question the needed results its getting now.

But more popular then SotIS? Well I'm not that informative about things like that
Old 2011-03-05, 01:06   Link #18
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Hooves you can come on now. We are playing smashcraft.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 11:28   Link #19
Demongod86

Due to the way SC2's system rewards long games with large amounts of people, Sotis is staying in the top spot for obvious raisins. But as Mephs said, only reason it's popular is that the devs just said OH HAI LOOK DOTAZ and people just started playing it and took it out of the abyss.

The popularity system is shit. Right now, if you want to get a game of smashcraft going, then feel free to join the channel "smashcraft" on the NA servers.