Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-25, 11:44   Link #61
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggsPanther
Wasn't Poirot Belgian, not English?
Correct, he was a Belgian police officer / detective who moved to England to work as a PI... one of the books even has him return to Belgian and go over elements of his past life in the country. Can't say I've ever seen him as an English gentleman, although you could argue he does put on a gentlemanly show, not uncommon for people of his time and position. I'm in total agreement with LinChoiSin; When I think of Poirot I think "David Suchet"; he has given the most accurate portrait to date... he has the style, the accent, the appearance ... the arrogant attitude... all down to perfection.
Old 2004-07-25, 12:56   Link #62
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggsPanther
Ummmmmm. Wasn't Poirot Belgian, not English? (I just checked with my mum, how's a bit of an AC fan)

Tiggs
Yes, he's Belgian. But I was refering to him speaking japanese in this anime. Because when I posted that statement, I was watching the raw and it sounds so strange to me. It's like not quite the Poirot I always envision in the book, which speak english with gentleman manner. It's like James Bond without his British accent or Tony Danza without his New York accent. ^^

It's just me being picky. ^^ Because I read Agatha Christie novels a long time ago and have a solid vision already about Hercule Poirot's character. It wasn't really that big of a deal actually, because it was only the first episode, and I just not use to it yet. The more I watch it the more he sounds more natural to me now.
Old 2004-07-25, 23:01   Link #63
LinChoiSin

in fact this Poirot looks more like Peter Ustinov which isn't bad either.AC 's books are not all about murders ,lots of them are about stealing or conning people .
Old 2004-07-26, 10:38   Link #64
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

That's very true, but her murder mysteries seem to be the most popular. At least around here they are.
Old 2004-07-27, 10:14   Link #65
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
Nah, I doubt there's a chance of murder getting involved in this show. To sad tho, seeing Maybelle covered in blood screaming in hysteria *sighs*... would of been sweet.
Old 2004-07-28, 22:48   Link #66
Shiorichan
Mistress of Froth-Bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkihaTohno
Nah, I doubt there's a chance of murder getting involved in this show. To sad tho, seeing Maybelle covered in blood screaming in hysteria *sighs*... would of been sweet.
Actually, it seems that there will be murder mysteries in the show. Around episode 5 or 6, we should get into the murder mysteries.
Old 2004-07-28, 22:58   Link #67
wazzup

havent read the whole thread.. but is it releasing ? if so then know any fansub which will plan to do this / is doing it??
Old 2004-07-28, 23:14   Link #68
wraith985

Send a message via AIM to wraith985
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzup
havent read the whole thread.. but is it releasing ? if so then know any fansub which will plan to do this / is doing it??
The question was answered within the last page...but yes, it's being released, and yes, Froth-Bite is doing it.
Old 2004-07-29, 13:19   Link #69
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Yep, Froth-Bite is doing it and as usual their subs rock.
Old 2004-07-29, 18:17   Link #70
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Is this a surprise to anyone?

I don't know how long this series has aired, I doubt it's been that long at all. 2 or 3 episodes perhaps? Apparently it's been doing so well with the Japanese audience. It's been jostling with Naruto the past couple of weeks in the ratings race. The Japanese have a thing for detective stories I suppose. Here I thought kids would rather watch shows with higher imaginations than simple whodunnit type of stories that would usually cater to teenage bookworms. Well where I live anyways, that is the case.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to check this show out.
Old 2004-07-29, 20:52   Link #71
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Heh, I grew up on the Peter Ustinov version of Poirot so watching an animated detective based on his model kind of brought back memories. The first episode did make quite a leap to the conclusion- but now I have some idea on how to get people to give me their fingerprints

However, Orikasa Fumiko Maybelle ownes the show Something about her portrayal of an inquisitive and intelligent young girl I find attractive. Maybe because it's very different from the calm and serious Ester as well as the spiritually solid Kirara.

Bring on ep2 and soon .
Old 2004-07-30, 16:44   Link #72
wraith985

I'm a bit miffed that the conclusions are reached so quickly and so much is skipped over; I'd rather them flesh out stories more and have story arcs, especially if the series is going to be 39 episodes; that would help build the suspense, the tension, and (most importantly) the mystery - the best part of any detective story.

Still, it's interesting enough. I'm gonna enjoy working on this one
Old 2004-07-31, 00:26   Link #73
Shiorichan
Mistress of Froth-Bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime
Bring on ep2 and soon .
Well, your wish has been granted. We just released episode 2 a few hours ago. I must say, I like how this one turned out.
Old 2004-07-31, 00:56   Link #74
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru
I hope at least you won't come lately saying "I'm sorry but we decided to do Soukyuu no Fafner instead"
o.o I somehow missed this thread. Anyway, it's quite interesting that I've come back saying, "I'm sorry, but I stopped doing Fafner to get this show to you guys."

Oh yeah, the ABC murders are coming up soon. Heh, look forward to that one all you hardcore Christie fans.
Old 2004-07-31, 01:20   Link #75
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiorichan
Well, your wish has been granted. We just released episode 2 a few hours ago. I must say, I like how this one turned out.

Getting now

Could be the speedy conclusion to the cases are because they need to do quick introductions for the characters and what they can do instead of a median streach that'll likely bore and alienate a crew of short attention span watchers

Thing is, are they planning to divide the time speant between Poirot and Marple? Looks to me Maybelle is actually a plot device to unite the 2 characters [1 young and talented apprentice training under 2 masters ] since it's been mentioned before that they never actually collaborate.
Old 2004-07-31, 13:05   Link #76
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
For a simple mystery, I didn't get episode 2 at all O_O
Old 2004-07-31, 23:33   Link #77
LinChoiSin

after seeing the 2 nd episode i came to several conclusions ,first love the opening and the ending but as for the show itself i'm disapointed because they simplified the story and the result wasn't good .Seeing Mabelle and her duck be the victim of the next murder would please me but it's rather unlikely,unfortunately.I'll continue to watch this anime because i really like A C's and because i find it funny but i don't think it will get better.
Old 2004-08-01, 04:25   Link #78
wraith985

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinChoiSin
.Seeing Mabelle and her duck be the victim of the next murder would please me but it's rather unlikely,unfortunately.
LMAO, that would be...interesting.

Hopefully the murder mysteries will be in story arc format so they don't have to cut and compress so much in the future...
Old 2004-08-01, 10:20   Link #79
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Yeah, I do agree that there's a lot they cut out of that story that really could have been streached out into at least 2-3 shows for that second story. But it did do one thing. It showed some of Poirot's and Maybell's attention to detail and creativeness, which are big selling points for any detective. The only bad thing I found in this episode was Maybell's whining. They could have gone without that. But oh well. She's only 16 and even I whined a bit when I was 16, so I guess I can give her a tad bit of slack there.
Old 2004-08-01, 18:02   Link #80
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiorichan
Actually, it seems that there will be murder mysteries in the show. Around episode 5 or 6, we should get into the murder mysteries.
Yeah, it seems they will start the first book story-arc (The ABC Murders) at episode 5. The first four episodes are all short-story adaptations.
Closed Thread