AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2015-08-08, 10:38   Link #1
chaosbeowulf

Ze Tian Ji (Way of Choices) by Mao Ni (WN).

Summary (taken from the fans translator's website):

To pick is to choose. This is a story about choices. Three thousand world full of gods and demons, with a scroll in hand you are able to control the entire universe……..

At the beginning of time, a mystical meteor came crashing down from outer space and scattered all over the world. A piece of it landed in the Eastern Continent. There were
mysterious totems carved upon the meteor, and people gathered around it wanting to discover its usage. They discovered the Way, and established The Tradition.

Several thousand years later, the fourteen years old orphan Chen Chang Shang left his master to cure his illness and change his fate. He brought a piece of marriage vow with him to the capital, thus began the journey of a rising hero.

Now for something quite a bit different compared to your usual Chinese Wuxia/Xianxia WN... No reincarnation (that we know of) background, no summoned from the other world back story, hell, not even a revenge background story! That's pretty damned rare for a Chinese WN! But one thing for sure: it's really, really good.

The pace of the WN is quite slow. But it's a good kind of slow; a ponderous, suspenseful one, despite having little to no action sequence so far. Definitely not a slice-of-life story like Death March or Slime Tensei, and definitely not an action-packed story like Martial God Asura, Coiling Dragon, and the likes. The story is just like the MC, actually. Calm, composed, and thoughtful, yet you can feel that there's something more than meets the eye, glimpses of back story that was never truly exposed by the author, but it's there, biding its time.

This WN is really, really different from the usual Chinese WN, or even the Japanese WN/LN. The closest thing I can think of to compare the way this WN is written is actually L.E. Modesitt Jr. and his Recluse saga.

It's not a comedy, but there's still some humor there; it definitely doesn't feel shounen-ish, but more of a seinen, I think. This WN is truly different from all the WN and LN I've read, and that's why it's kinda hard to describe this one.

As for the usual questions of MC being OP and if there is any harem:

Spoiler for OP MC?:

Now, as for Harem...

Spoiler for Harem? Not sure...:

Do give it a read, it's really good!
chaosbeowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-08, 10:49   Link #2
Mahesvara

This is definitely piqued my interest. Thanks for infos and can you give us it's raw name(if not the direct link to raws)? Also is it finished, if not what is author's update pace? Lastly how many chapters are there for now?
Thanks for answers
Mahesvara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-08, 11:05   Link #3
chaosbeowulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesvara View Post
This is definitely piqued my interest. Thanks for infos and can you give us it's raw name(if not the direct link to raws)? Also is it finished, if not what is author's update pace? Lastly how many chapters are there for now?
Thanks for answers
Sorry, forgot the link, will edit later.

https://bingnovels.wordpress.com/way-of-choice/

That's the translator's webpage. I think the direct link to the raws is there as well. As I can't read Chinese, I can't read ahead and give you guys spoilers, sorry.
Old 2015-08-08, 11:50   Link #4
BlazingKyogre

How many chapters does this novel have? I mean how far is the untranslated from the translated?
BlazingKyogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-08, 12:27   Link #5
amwlak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingKyogre View Post
How many chapters does this novel have? I mean how far is the untranslated from the translated?
From taking a quick look at the raw table of contents, it looks like:

book 1 = 279 chapters

book 2 = 145 chapters

book 3 = 78 chapters

book 4 = 85 chapters

So a total of 587 chapters. I'm not sure if it's still ongoing or not.
amwlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-08, 13:33   Link #6
sasoras

It's ongoing, the pace is pretty slow though,from the looks of it not even close to ending. I dropped it because i thought the MC was acting hypocritical and whiny once the romance started showing, and he gets way too much lucky breaks which sort of irritates me, as most of his accomplishments were handed to him or because of outside help, or because of "someones" plans

Overall its a pretty good series though,and what i said was just how i felt, others might not see it that way and i really did like Yo.

This series it definitely Xianxia though.

Last edited by sasoras; 2015-08-08 at 13:57.
sasoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-08, 14:57   Link #7
Karolik

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasoras View Post
It's ongoing, the pace is pretty slow though,from the looks of it not even close to ending. I dropped it because i thought the MC was acting hypocritical and whiny once the romance started showing, and he gets way too much lucky breaks which sort of irritates me, as most of his accomplishments were handed to him or because of outside help, or because of "someones" plans

Overall its a pretty good series though,and what i said was just how i felt, others might not see it that way and i really did like Yo.

This series it definitely Xianxia though.
If you dropped it for that reason, then you should drop all xianxia novels.
Karolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-08, 15:00   Link #8
BigNobody
The Former Apprentice

I'm waiting till it hits the 200 translated chapters mark before I read this. I heard a lot of good things about this novel.
BigNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-08, 15:08   Link #9
sasoras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolik View Post
If you dropped it for that reason, then you should drop all xianxia novels.
You mean those reasons right, it's not like a singular thing would put me off.It's a combination of the amount and how it was done.

Besides that statement you made about all Xianxias seems pretty exaggerated, Currently The Alchemist God series seems fine to me, and i don't think all Xianxia will feature the same style and approach.
sasoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-08, 15:41   Link #10
Karolik

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasoras View Post
You mean those reasons right, it's not like a singular thing would put me off.It's a combination of the amount and how it was done.

Besides that statement you made about all Xianxias seems pretty exaggerated, Currently The Alchemist God series seems fine to me, and i don't think all Xianxia will feature the same style and approach.
Of course its exaggerated, by "All" I meant a very large number.
Karolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-08, 17:04   Link #11
rhyein

Part of the reason this novel is slow is because the supporting cast is developed quite a bit more than other Chinese WNs, especially as you get into the later chapters. There's a lot of peeks at the motivations and thoughts of the different characters, and hints concerning the mystery surrounding the MC and his circumstances. All of that slows things down but makes it a more enjoyable read compared to other WNs.
rhyein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-09, 00:51   Link #12
Rainne

read up to chapter 120, and god damn, this is the slowest Xianxia Novel in history, MC has still yet to even start practicing Martial arts, i sure hope he is some kind of God Genius cause he really needs it to catch up at this rate.
it seems like the author is leaving the MC in the shadows
Rainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-09, 05:57   Link #13
ndiezel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
read up to chapter 120, and god damn, this is the slowest Xianxia Novel in history, MC has still yet to even start practicing Martial arts, i sure hope he is some kind of God Genius cause he really needs it to catch up at this rate.
it seems like the author is leaving the MC in the shadows
Saw some spoilers that MC will become youngest to enter some kind of awesome realm, his arranged wife entered it 3 days later. This makes him godlike, coz he was training for only like 1 year, while it took wife 11 years .
ndiezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-09, 07:26   Link #14
itisjustme

This is pretty slow yeah. MC gets stuff a bit too easy/convenient too yeah. This isn't and isn't going to be a MC levels up and bitchslaps villains action type WN though, don't read it and expect one of those. It's more a story/character driven thing, and even if the MC does level up it's not the point or the focus.

Personally it's the best chinese WN I've read. That said I kinda stopped following it day by day after it started yet another tournament arc. Jesus tournaments are the most boring plots ever and all it tells the reader is that the author doesn't have any better idea. Which is pretty dumb since there's a lot of interesting directions the story could go in instead, like the demons, new continents, the empress, CCS's mystery, Zhou Dufu's whereabouts, etcetcetc.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-09, 21:30   Link #15
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Now this is a damn good story. Its style is a refreshing breather as compared to all the levelling stuff 90% novels of this forum does, and one with actual good standards rivalling established authors.

And those who complain that the MC is too OP or too lucky, I'm pretty sure you got the wrong forum, because nearly every single novel listed here does this to the point that you have a god damn list of standard FAQs starting with 'is the MC OP' and followed by 'does he have a harem'. So save your hypocrisy and walk somewhere else.
Old 2015-08-09, 23:06   Link #16
Rainne

read up to chapter 180 and dropped it, the pacing is ridiculously slow, went to sleep while reading, the author doesnt get to the point and bores you to death with each chapter.
Rainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-10, 02:50   Link #17
tropox

Spoiler for Mo Yu:
tropox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-10, 03:22   Link #18
TheCatWalk
The avid 'HAREM HATER!'

this series has one of the most mind-fucking cliffhangers ever
TheCatWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-12, 08:14   Link #19
chaosbeowulf

And the cliffhangers acts to maintain the suspense of the story. I think this is the one WN you just can't binge read, since it will lose its suspense that way.
Old 2015-08-12, 08:37   Link #20
BlazingKyogre

Spoiler questions:
- Who are Chen Chang Sheng's parents?
- Why did his master took care of him?
- How is he related to the former royal family?
- Why does it take long for him to reach Purification Stage?
- Does his master appear in later chapters?
- How much improvement will Luo Luo, Tang 36 and the Beast Guy get?
- Will there be more future students in Tradition Academy?
BlazingKyogre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
can't see mt. tai, overly serious mc, sick mc