2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.60%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-02-23, 22:14   Link #41
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I've been wondering. This was probably the effects of playing MASS EFFECT 2 lol but these newtypes being born, wouldn't they be born with weak immune systems since they would've grown up in a very sterile and clean environment?
Space colonies are not the flotilla... If you watch Gundam ZZ you'll see how some of them are practically garbage dumps.
Old 2010-02-23, 22:25   Link #42
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
If you haven't watched any Gundam before a lot of what transpired is going to come across as confusing and perhaps even lame. However trust me when I say it all works within the context of the franchise. The ability to pilot and the sudden inexplicable love and attachment all have to do with the fact that Banagher is a Newtype. As for the skipping story development...well if you don't know the history of U.C it's likely to look like that, but if you do then all the holes get filled in quite easily. Gundam Unicorn expects the viewer to have seen the original series, Zeta, Double Zeta and Char's Counterattack before you go to watch it.
It's best to watch the series and then this one. Reading summaries and wiki's can only do so much. Besides, if the second episode isn't coming until the fall, you have a lot of time to catch up.

And be weary of the wikis, if you plan to watch the series later on you'll definitely be spoiled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
And thanks, DragoZERO -- I'm beginning to get the Newtype thing and it makes sense so far. Nothing lame about that.

Lol. I feel like a first-grader in a college class.
I don't think it's lame either, but people bash it, so yeah.

But when it comes to voice actors & actresses, you're a college graduate compared to me.
Old 2010-02-23, 22:53   Link #43
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I've been wondering. This was probably the effects of playing MASS EFFECT 2 lol but these newtypes being born, wouldn't they be born with weak immune systems since they would've grown up in a very sterile and clean environment?
Believe it or not the colonies have plenty of issues with overcrowding, industrial, biological and chemical waste and all those things that lead to sickness just the same as Earth does if not moreso.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 23:03   Link #44
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Hey K-sama, does the episode frame itself with the UC context? In other words is there a pertinent intro of sorts? If so great, if not I might also have to do some research before I watch it because UC isn't really fresh in my brain right now...
Old 2010-02-23, 23:42   Link #45
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Hey K-sama, does the episode frame itself with the UC context? In other words is there a pertinent intro of sorts? If so great, if not I might also have to do some research before I watch it because UC isn't really fresh in my brain right now...
Ummmm.....it makes reference to the events, but expects you to know what exactly the references mean and how they impact the current events. If you have seen the U.C Gundam series though you probably should be okay.
Old 2010-02-24, 00:02   Link #46
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Ummmm.....it makes reference to the events, but expects you to know what exactly the references mean and how they impact the current events. If you have seen the U.C Gundam series though you probably should be okay.
Yes it goes without saying I've seen it all, but even I get rusty after not watching a UC series for about 3-4 years now...I'll just jump in then and see if the water's fine....

Yo Deacon Blues, what up buddy??
Old 2010-02-24, 00:18   Link #47
ZombieSheep

Wow, this ep is pretty good. As many had said, props to all the grunts that did a little more than just exploding. Maybe in a few centuries we'll see grunts that can actually ruin the paint job of a special suit. Or dare I dream, a show where the grunts actually mattered.

I'll take what I can get in the mean time.

protagonist guy lose points for his sudden love, newtype or no, pulling that card in the first ep is just lame.
ZombieSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 00:58   Link #48
winter45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSheep View Post
Wow, this ep is pretty good. As many had said, props to all the grunts that did a little more than just exploding. Maybe in a few centuries we'll see grunts that can actually ruin the paint job of a special suit. Or dare I dream, a show where the grunts actually mattered.

I'll take what I can get in the mean time.

protagonist guy lose points for his sudden love, newtype or no, pulling that card in the first ep is just lame.
If SEED and DESTINY has become your norm of grunt expectation then yes you have been deceived... UC timeline has shown multiple times that grunts can do more than just marching/flying towards a fire squad.

Glad UC grunts are back to having some skills instead popcorn rainbow flavors.

TBH Seed and destiny grunts shouldn't even be considered as grunts.. I find it quite insulting.
winter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 01:18   Link #49
tetsuo69

Wow ..... just Wow, the first episode was really great *____* i havent been this excited since Seed. music and animation and story 10/10 *____* all you can ask in a gundam show. now i can enjoy something ^^ seeing as how i dont like 00.

for some reason few scene in the ep reminded me of the first 2 ep of seed. that could just be be XD
Old 2010-02-24, 01:35   Link #50
winter45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo69 View Post
for some reason few scene in the ep reminded me of the first 2 ep of seed. that could just be be XD
Youll find that Seed and Destiny has taken tribute *ripped off* alot of scenes from the UC timeline.
winter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 02:05   Link #51
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Space colonies are not the flotilla... If you watch Gundam ZZ you'll see how some of them are practically garbage dumps.

But it's not Anime!!!!!!
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 03:22   Link #52
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I thought the 'sudden' romance wasn't all that bad. It won't win any awards in romantic storytelling, but Gundam always were amongst the worst in that aspect. The way I saw it, it was far more like a ditsy, purposeless boy suddenly being smitten by a strange forbidden fruit, mixed with a tinge of attraction to a beautiful lady. For one, he clearly wasn't remotely rational in his desire to stay with Audrey. If teenage hormones weren't bad enough, there's the Newtype factor. ( though I'm not sure we're supposed to assume his attraction to Audrey is anything NT-related )

Still, Cardeas gets points for being an awesome dad. Not only does he snap necks like a pro at 60, nothing like giving away a state-of-the-art MS that potentially leads to a World-Changing-McGuffin to help your son chase after a girl's skirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Yes it goes without saying I've seen it all, but even I get rusty after not watching a UC series for about 3-4 years now...I'll just jump in then and see if the water's fine....

Yo Deacon Blues, what up buddy??
Unless the terminologies of Universal Century had completely flew you over, you'll do fine with what rust you have. It makes minor references and there are clear subtleties that will be better enjoyed by a smoother UC piston, but that's about it. Unicorn's not forcing you to remember that Kamille Bidan was a loud hypocrite or that Char Aznable had Oedipus complex.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 05:48   Link #53
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

They couldn't have chosen a worse spot to end this episode.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 05:51   Link #54
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
What like ending the episode just as the Unicorn begins to move?
Old 2010-02-24, 05:58   Link #55
Albafica
Pisces no saint

I just watch the first episode: wow just awesome ! It’s so cool to watch a new Gundam serie like this one! I don’t like the last serie, Gundam 00, but Gundam Unicorn begin very well.
The atmosphere is incredible, the rhythm is good, I love the chara design, the mecha design is perfect, the soundtrack is just epic, fights are so cool.
This episode was just great for me.

Well it looks a bit unoriginal, but it’s not bad.
This Gundam gives me good vibes!

When the title Gundam unicorn appears, I was like “F*ck Yeahhhh!!!!”
The first battle is so cool!! Characters are really engaging. The hero is not a bishonen but it’s ok with me! His looks seems too much normal ^^.
By the way, Marida looks so cool! I love her mecha, Kshatriya, and her design!

The last moment with the Unicorn Gundam is super epic, the soundtrack is so powerful! I love “WTF face” of everyone ^^.
Ah and finally, the ending isn’t so horrible. But it’s not memorable too.

So this serie looks very promising, I hope that it will be great! I give it a 10/10!

Last edited by Albafica; 2010-02-24 at 07:00.
Albafica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 06:04   Link #56
Un1ver5e

Send a message via MSN to Un1ver5e
I was already sold 5 mins into the Kshatriya fight.
Un1ver5e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 06:16   Link #57
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
It's the turn and dash (tm) man. A staple of Gundam just like the long trailing dramatic note at the end of an episode. The fact that they did both just like I imagined they would was the cherry on top of the cake that was the episode.
Old 2010-02-24, 06:17   Link #58
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM

currently watching ep 1 and i'm loving it and should I watch the original gundam series (the 70's version) all the way to char's counterattack assuming it's all related before watching this so I can have full understanding with is going on?
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 06:47   Link #59
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
What like ending the episode just as the Unicorn begins to move?
Yeah that's the part, hell you blink, you miss the ending.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 07:35   Link #60
Balder8472
I have a License

I thought the first episode of mobile suit unicorn was badass.I liked how the grunts didn't simply get owned in a few seconds a couple of them put up a good fight before dying.if full frontal is the reincarnation of char then Banagher is probably the reincarnation of amuro ray
Balder8472 is offline   Reply With Quote