AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 14 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 35.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 25.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 8.93%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.57%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.79%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-09, 08:21   Link #41
Pen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
this episode showed me that this series works better as a slice of life without mystery, eru and oreki are interesting characters, wich also makes it the show more interesting when it focus on them, and eru sidetracking was quite fun to watch.
I don't understand why people think eru is interesting between all the characters. She is nothing but a 5 year old trapped in a teens body. To me it is the Oreki siblings that are most interesting.
Old 2012-07-09, 08:44   Link #42
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Should Houtarou's behaviour here really be a surprise. It was entirely probably that he'd suffer a regression after what happened with Irisu. Rather than not learning anything, he's learned that his old way was far safer. He got carried away and it let him be manipulated. At least minding an empty booth will in theory prevent him from getting hurt again.
No surprise at all. Perhaps I should have said, "It doesn't seem that he's learned anything, from tangling with Irisu in the last arc, that has inspired him to be a more self-confident, positive individual, instead of doing his usual dreary, miserable, sloth-like Grumpy Old Man impersonation."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
In Episode 11.5, Emo McMopeypants' friends tell him they actually like him for what he is. At least, they like him better than the monosyllabic recluse that tangling with Irisu had reduced him to.
Now that I have had the opportunity to watch a subbed version of episode 11.5, I like Mr. Grumpy even less than I had initially thought after watching the raw. I don't get what Chitanda sees in him, other than, perhaps, the typical polar-opposites attraction syndrome. Same with Satoshi, who is a ball of energy compared to the lump of clay that is Mr. Grumpy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
I don't understand why people think eru is interesting between all the characters. She is nothing but a 5 year old trapped in a teens body.
Perhaps it's because, compared to Mr. Grumpy, she's full of life and positive energy, notwithstanding that she's adorable. If given a choice of watching a full episode of nothing but Mr. Grumpy being dull and boring while waiting for customers, or just following Chitanda around the Culture Festival, I'd certainly pick the latter. To each their own.

Quote:
To me it is the Oreki siblings that are most interesting.
Siblings? More than one? I wouldn't call his sister interesting, yet, as we don't know enough about her. Intriguing would more suit her for now. And annoying, since we probably won't ever get to see her face.
Old 2012-07-09, 09:57   Link #43
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Houtarou's sister seem pretty hot. A shame they apparently intend to make her one of those eternally faceless character for some reason.

I forgot to comment on the ED. It's really nice. As weird as it sounds to say this, Mayaka looks incredibly cute dressed as Poirot. And that zettai ryouiki... yum.
Old 2012-07-09, 11:20   Link #44
rulfo

A very entertaining episode. Enjoyed the Galaxy part and where Houtarou tries to break his stone face and give a smile.

Also.. A nice new ED!
Old 2012-07-09, 12:21   Link #45
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitem View Post
Lupin wears a monocle when he dang well pleases. By he, I mean the artist of each particular picture. The movie versions don't seem to favor it.

Apologies for the quality. My extension conversion didn't go so well hehe....
Oh crap Arsène Lupin. My mind blanked and all I could think of was Lupin III which is why it made no sense to me.
Old 2012-07-09, 12:43   Link #46
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Also Satoshi should have gone for Uranus instead of Saturn. Anyway for an episode where basically nothing happened that was very entertaining to match.
I see what you did there...
Old 2012-07-09, 13:03   Link #47
Qpax
黒猫のタンゴ

I really liked the Nakoruru cosplay that girl was cosplaying in the Manga Clup. Other than that it's meh (poor) episode yet I also loved new ending. I couldn't watch episode 11.5 because it was causing so much eye bleeding. I wonder how people go and watch this quality. This will be always staying as big mystery on my mind for the rest of my fleeting life.
Old 2012-07-09, 13:06   Link #48
Eater of All
NOM

Somehow, Mayaka doesn't really seem happy being at Manga Society (then again, some people there don't appear very friendly )

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
No surprise at all. Perhaps I should have said, "It doesn't seem that he's learned anything, from tangling with Irisu in the last arc, that has inspired him to be a more self-confident, positive individual, instead of doing his usual dreary, miserable, sloth-like Grumpy Old Man impersonation."
Getting manipulated and played like a fool should've inspired him to be a more self-confident, positive individual?

Quote:
Siblings? More than one? I wouldn't call his sister interesting, yet, as we don't know enough about her. Intriguing would more suit her for now. And annoying, since we probably won't ever get to see her face.
Why so particular about the face thing? I thought it's a common way to emphasize an enigmatic character.
Old 2012-07-09, 13:53   Link #49
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Getting manipulated and played like a fool should've inspired him to be a more self-confident, positive individual?
Why not? Learn from your mistakes and improve yourself. It seems to be a national pastime here in the US, with a gazillion books on self-improvement sold every minute. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

Quote:
Why so particular about the face thing? I thought it's a common way to emphasize an enigmatic character.
I suppose that's one way to look at it. I just find it annoying, like in that bento war anime. I get the idea of the non-performers in Japanese theatre wearing black hoods (I forget what they're called), and that doesn't bother me. But, as in this case, where someone is a vital element of the show, why hide their face? Why have them appear at all with only the lower bits, or none at all, of their face showing? Maybe this, too, is a cultural thing that I don't yet understand.
Old 2012-07-09, 13:59   Link #50
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
But, as in this case, where someone is a vital element of the show, why hide their face? Why have them appear at all with only the lower bits, or none at all, of their face showing?
It might be a storytelling gimmick instead. I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but having Oreki's sister as the faceless plot device allows you to stay detached from her as a character even if you see her appear. That might be what they're going for, instead of having a character that you can empathize with and understand.
Old 2012-07-09, 14:39   Link #51
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I was cute how Eru was so easily distracted. If not unexpected.

And great ED.

Looks like Houtarou started a Warashibe Chouja type chain of deals. I wonder what he'll end up with?

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2012-07-09 at 15:34.
Old 2012-07-09, 14:53   Link #52
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Why not? Learn from your mistakes and improve yourself. It seems to be a national pastime here in the US, with a gazillion books on self-improvement sold every minute. Maybe it's a cultural thing.
That's easy to say, but what could he have learned? Be more cautious of people? Don't be too eager to change? How would that have helped him become "a more confident, positive individual"?
Old 2012-07-09, 14:55   Link #53
taichi-kun

chitanda's cosplay was great,although It was her imagination.. right?
Old 2012-07-09, 15:14   Link #54
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi-kun View Post
chitanda's cosplay was great,although It was her imagination.. right?
No, it wasn't. After the photoshoot session, you can see a blue envelope in her hand that she didn't have before. It probably contains the pictures she took.
Old 2012-07-09, 15:28   Link #55
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Looks like Houtarou started a Warashibe Chouja type of deals. I wonder what he'll end up with?
Yes! This is exactly where I'm hoping this is going. Though part of me wants to see it end anticlimactically; like maybe after a dozen trades, he ends the festival with a working pen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
No, it wasn't. After the photoshoot session, you can see a blue envelope in her hand that she didn't have before. It probably contains the pictures she took.
She seems to be picking up more loot everywhere she goes. Her guilt is literally weighing her down.

Spoiler for It's just going to get worse, if the preview is any indication:

Last edited by ThereminVox; 2012-07-09 at 15:39.
Old 2012-07-09, 15:33   Link #56
U<3Anime
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Considering how many anime are set in high school, it's amazing how few can actually make me feel being in high school like this one. I really think the less plot Hyouka has, the better it works.
Damn right. One of the liveliest school fest episode I have seen in anime ever. There were people, attractions, and noises everywhere! Kyoani sure did one helluva job.
Old 2012-07-09, 17:01   Link #57
taichi-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
oh sorry and thanks.In this moment I feel like an asshole for thinking that

I blame the subs(?)
Old 2012-07-09, 18:01   Link #58
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
Damn right. One of the liveliest school fest episode I have seen in anime ever. There were people, attractions, and noises everywhere! Kyoani sure did one helluva job.
It's probably one of the more realistic looking with the exuberance that you can usually see in a school fest. This is probably the best episode of Hyouka so far. There's so much to see and the many little bits of nuances. For example, just from the beginning, we get to see Mayaka and Satoshi in their own rooms and get a good look at who they are. Most bedrooms of high school characters in anime look bland and sterile, somewhat like Oreki's room, but those 2 rooms of Mayaka and Satoshi look truly inhabited by their characters.
Old 2012-07-09, 19:14   Link #59
Skane
Anime Snark

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
~~ Looks like Houtarou started a Warashibe Chouja type chain of deals. I wonder what he'll end up with?
Oooo! I never thought of that! It would be awesome if it really turns out that way. It would make his sister his "Goddess of Fortune".

Natch.
Old 2012-07-09, 19:49   Link #60
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
That's easy to say, but what could he have learned? Be more cautious of people? Don't be too eager to change? How would that have helped him become "a more confident, positive individual"?
Indeed. For most people, the lesson they'd take away from tangling with someone like Irisu is watch your back and trust no one. Given that we know that Houtarou isn't made of the same stern stuff that his sister Chuck Norris Tomoei is, his reaction is natural, and very believable. Houtarou is right . . . he's average. Apart from his deductive skill, he is utterly unremarkable.