AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-19, 14:26   Link #1061
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Interesting episode. Love the fact that space battle in the beginning was a dream. BTW, what is Ririka's job anyway?

PS:I'm kinda disappointed that Marty Friedman wasn't in the Mugen no Ai music video. I'll think i wait when the video of him performing at Momoiro Clover Z concert is out.
Old 2012-02-19, 16:51   Link #1062
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I am looking forward to when the full version of the ED "Lost Child" by Momoiro Clover Z comes out on March 7th.

Anyway, came across this link yesterday and forgot share it:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/revi...tes/episodes-1

ANN actually gives a mostly complimentary review of the first 6 episodes. The feedback to the review seems to be the typical ANN comments of "this is so boring" and "I love this show". I though I'd share just to show what people outside of Animesuki think of this series so far.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 20:13   Link #1063
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Interesting episode. Love the fact that space battle in the beginning was a dream. BTW, what is Ririka's job anyway?
Based on what was said in the early episodes, She's something like a senior traffic controller at the orbiting space port.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 21:27   Link #1064
molitar

Not only that they are staying in practice as they are an informal branch of the military so if war times do come they will be called to duty. So it serves a purpose to keep the privateering alive and well.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 21:47   Link #1065
FateAnomaly

Isn't the route from Marika's room to the bridge 1 big hazard?
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 23:33   Link #1066
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Isn't the route from Marika's room to the bridge 1 big hazard?
What? You expect the Janitor to lift his finger clearing all that? You best be joking.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-20, 02:09   Link #1067
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Feels like the captain's quarter is tuck behind in a corner of the ships' cargohold lol. Granted it did make for some funny moments seeing Marika run the obstacle course everytime she been summoned to the bridge.
Old 2012-02-20, 02:13   Link #1068
molitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Feels like the captain's quarter is tuck behind in a corner of the ships' cargohold lol. Granted it did make for some funny moments seeing Marika run the obstacle course everytime she been summoned to the bridge.
That is what I figured.. The captain probably originally had it designed that way to force himself/herself to stay in shape. If you have to vault and navigate while getting to the bridge in a hurry you are going to stay in shape.
Old 2012-02-20, 02:57   Link #1069
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
QFT there. Regardless of the purpose of the boarding action, getting into slack security/tactical habits is extremely foolish. Particularly with all the grief the crew is giving Marika about the professionalism of her piracy (and yes, she does need to develop her skills, but even so), that sticks out like a sore thumb.
Even supposed professionals can get complacent. Part of why Red Cell was established was to conduct mock terrorist attacks on Navy bases, and a lot of the simulated damage they did was due to complacency - while the unit was running only a few bases seriously attempted to deter them. The highlight of their career was stealing a bomb truck - the kind that carries air-dropped bombs from bunkers to the flightline - and leaving it in a motel parking lot in broad daylight for several days, before using it to "blow up" Air Force One. And the base commander had been warned repeatedly about them.

Quote:
(Honestly, I can't shake the idea that if you gave Jenny and the Yacht Club five years' worth of training and real-world experience, they'd take the Bentenmaru's crew out behind the barn for an old-fashioned whipping in any direct confrontation.)
I honestly think it could go both ways - there's an old saying, "Youth and skill is no match for age and treachery". The Yacht Club are some rather talented girls, but the Bentenmaru's crew has been doing this for a while.

Still, as in all things, you don't need to be lucky all the time - you just need to be lucky once.

Interestingly, it looks like while Bentenmaru and Barbarossa are more or less the same size, Odette II appears to be significantly larger. Makes me wonder what her original armament was... what I find keeps sticking in my mind is mentions in Episode 3 that she's outfitted with a flagship's command and control suite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
That is what I figured.. The captain probably originally had it designed that way to force himself/herself to stay in shape. If you have to vault and navigate while getting to the bridge in a hurry you are going to stay in shape.
While on current naval vessels this isn't practiced, I suppose I could see this happening on a space ship - even with artificial gravity, your muscles aren't working so hard and will atrophy from lack of use. That's why astronauts have to excercise so much when they go up in orbit.

On a standard naval vessel, however, they're probably going to have clear passageways as much as possible.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-20, 03:11   Link #1070
molitar

Quote:
While on current naval vessels this isn't practiced, I suppose I could see this happening on a space ship - even with artificial gravity, your muscles aren't working so hard and will atrophy from lack of use. That's why astronauts have to excercise so much when they go up in orbit.

On a standard naval vessel, however, they're probably going to have clear passageways as much as possible.
It's probably even more exaggerated as a part of her training.. they are usually in the way some but we got a trainee captain so we will just about block it off so much she isn't able to squeeze through. One thing they are trying to teach her is to be a captain so I have to wonder when she will request someone to clear the way a bit for her jaunt to the Bridge... Her lack of experience as a captain is really showing right now without thinking of requesting that yet. Secondly she asked for permission to modify the Captain's Wardrobe.. your the captain why the hell should you have to ask permission.. just do it.. start acting the part So she is definitely a captain in training right now she hasn't even started acting the part yet.
Old 2012-02-20, 05:35   Link #1071
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
there's an old saying, "Youth and skill is no match for age and treachery". The Yacht Club are some rather talented girls, but the Bentenmaru's crew has been doing this for a while.
[Clip]
Interestingly, it looks like while Bentenmaru and Barbarossa are more or less the same size, Odette II appears to be significantly larger. Makes me wonder what her original armament was... what I find keeps sticking in my mind is mentions in Episode 3 that she's outfitted with a flagship's command and control suite...
Pirates and privateers in our world sometimes operated in squadrons or small fleets with a senior captain taking the position of Admiral to direct their efforts. I think the endgame of this anime series will be the reformation of the Hakuchou to meet some threat or other, a fleet action of the old privateer ships under the direction of the Odette II, crewed by the girls from the Solar Sailing Club and with Admiral Jenny Doolittle in overall command.
Old 2012-02-20, 09:54   Link #1072
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Hakuchou is the Odette II's old name; you mean the Original Seven. ;D Also, IIRC, in those days they also had Commodores as squadron commanders, though the rank has fallen out of favor in the modern navy.

That said, given how they stressed on Bentenmaru, Barbarossa and Odette II as being survivors of the Original Seven, I'm guessing that a few of those ships were lost at combat.

Also, I find it amusing but understandable how Chiaki is one moment a moe teenager buying stuff for her dad and the next moment a spacer of the Barbarossa receiving orders from her Captain.

As for Marika's make up, my first impression is that she looks older, especially under the bright spotlights - it's only in normal light that it looks overdone.

*Edit: Thinking about the clogged passageway, I wonder if perhaps it's a misinterpretation of a USN submarine practice. On USN subs, the walkways are made of a light material for the most part, because foodstuffs are stored in heavy boxes under them; at the start of a cruise the passages tend to be short - months later, as more food is eaten and boxes disposed of, the passages are taller...

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-20, 10:12   Link #1073
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

You know, this might just be something the author threw in there for comedy effect, and to show that these guys aren't professional like a real navy ship.

But the USN practice could be the inspiration.
Old 2012-02-20, 11:24   Link #1074
justpassingby

Unfortunately, the boxes and crates weren't mentioned in the novel when Marika went to the bridge from her chamber

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-02-20 at 11:44.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-20, 12:40   Link #1075
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Well, it's not just boxes, there are what appear to be structural beams that she has to crawl under/jump over as well. Who designs a ship with beams going through the passageway? I'm fairly certain that the obstructions are intentional.

Endless "Hurdles" Soul
Old 2012-02-20, 13:19   Link #1076
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Oh Dark Queen Chiki-chan (yes, I know, don't call you that), when will you admit your true feelings? The only one you're hiding them from is yourself. Everyone else knows the truth.
That's precisely what makes it so delicious. Everyone and their mother can tell at a glance she likes Marika, but she's still hell bent on denying it because she has her "Ice Queen" reputation to uphold. She doesn't want to be seen as soft.
Old 2012-02-20, 13:55   Link #1077
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The passage way design might have been a refit to help protect either the Captain or the main treasure hold from boarding attempts. Will all those thing blocking the way, it would stall invaders from getting to those locations. and provide cover for defenders.

If the enemy isn't using weapons that can just punch through the ship's hull...as it isn't wise to blow holes in starships if one wants what is inside intact or alive.
Old 2012-02-20, 16:53   Link #1078
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
I had thought of that initially. That little obstacle course could be there to force the captain into staying in shape, and preparing the captain to move through a mess of debris in a hurry. I don't see Marika having to worry about staying in shape.

Quote:
It's probably even more exaggerated as a part of her training.. they are usually in the way some but we got a trainee captain so we will just about block it off so much she isn't able to squeeze through. One thing they are trying to teach her is to be a captain so I have to wonder when she will request someone to clear the way a bit for her jaunt to the Bridge... Her lack of experience as a captain is really showing right now without thinking of requesting that yet. Secondly she asked for permission to modify the Captain's Wardrobe.. your the captain why the hell should you have to ask permission.. just do it.. start acting the part So she is definitely a captain in training right now she hasn't even started acting the part yet.
Those obstacles are deliberately placed there so this could be a subtle test on Kane and Misa's part. Perhaps her first independent command as Captain will be to have a few crew members clear the corridor of any obstructions so that she may be able to make it to the Bridge in a hurry without worrying about that as a hazard. The Captain has to remind people of "safety first" after all. And I think you're right, she still needs to learn to be a captain in regards to making her own modifications to her wardrobe. Although I adore that Captain costume she has. She could also try to address the lax security that was exposed in this episode as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That's precisely what makes it so delicious. Everyone and their mother can tell at a glance she likes Marika, but she's still hell bent on denying it because she has her "Ice Queen" reputation to uphold. She doesn't want to be seen as soft.
Oh yes. Chiaki-chan is as soft and delicious as one of her favorite parfaits. Those "dere dere" blushes are just golden. I look forward to more scenes where Dark Queen Chiaki just melts like butter around Marika, and then just maybe the subtext might just turn into text. Got to keep those lilies watered after all. My goggles are always on when it comes to this show and those two. I hope on the other hand, that I will not require goggles when it comes to Jenny and Lynn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The passage way design might have been a refit to help protect either the Captain or the main treasure hold from boarding attempts. Will all those thing blocking the way, it would stall invaders from getting to those locations. and provide cover for defenders.

If the enemy isn't using weapons that can just punch through the ship's hull...as it isn't wise to blow holes in starships if one wants what is inside intact or alive.
Hmm, interesting theory. I do suppose that the crew of the Bentenmaru could fight off invaders with those obstructions as cover as they fire off low-level beam guns that won't damage the ship. It would be interesting to hear Kane explain those obstacles if this ever does get explained.

Oh and in other news, http://www.fanfiction.net/anime/Boda...Space_Pirates/ I guess I will have to start writing my Marika X Chiaki drabbles and such. Many parfaits may be consumed in the process.
Old 2012-02-20, 18:30   Link #1079
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Might be something else though. Chiaki mentioned how she never gets anything official while on the Babarossa. Perhaps that constant lack of action from possibly an overly protective father thus making her want to keep appearing 'professional'. That could have been the origin of her Ice Queen persona.

Too bad then that every time she is given a task, she has no cause for celebration (Marika's in trouble).
Old 2012-02-20, 18:51   Link #1080
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
Just so those links don't get buried in how quickly this thread can move at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Might be something else though. Chiaki mentioned how she never gets anything official while on the Babarossa. Perhaps that constant lack of action from possibly an overly protective father thus making her want to keep appearing 'professional'. That could have been the origin of her Ice Queen persona.

Too bad then that every time she is given a task, she has no cause for celebration (Marika's in trouble).
I am definitely interested in seeing what Chiaki's relationship with her dad, Kenjo, is like. Is it somewhat like Harlock and the younger Daiba where Kenjo talks about the virtues of "manliness" and them flying under the flag of freedom, and how everyone does their own thing on the ship and they all come together when things need to get done? I suppose Kenjo being overprotective of Chiaki to the degree where she hardly does anything Barbarossa related could be making her compensate being having a very "cold, professional" veneer. It's interesting how Chiaki is soft inside and has a cold, stiff, professional mask and Marika is introspective and serious inside and has that ditzy, happy-go-lucky, charismatic mask that she wears most of the time. It is interesting also how their respective masks tend to slip when they are around each other as if their inner and outer selves compliment each other.

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri