AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Old 2006-10-12, 19:52   Link #341
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin-Sama View Post
I am protesting this new series with all my soul and am demanding that Shaft fix this IMMEDIATLY!!!!

/unavailable for comment

After watching the first episode I thought it was excellent. I can't comment on the story as I haven't read any of the manga, but I love the animation. I understand that people have strong feelings about the character designs, but I found the pacing, use of bold flat colors and subtle jump frames rather interesting. The animation director is obviously quite skilled. There were a few glitches but overall I enjoyed this first episode more than the previous manifestation.

7 out of 10

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. Maybe they'll have a real ending this time.

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-10-12 at 20:03.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 20:38   Link #342
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark` View Post
Takamichi. I never got far enough in the original anime to see what he looked like there
He appeared in the first episode, within the first 10 minutes - so that means you didn't see anything of the original series.
Old 2006-10-12, 20:50   Link #343
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
He appeared in the first episode, within the first 10 minutes - so that means you didn't see anything of the original series.
Oh, did he? I kinda skipped around in the first episode since I was getting really bored watching it, and I knew what was going to happen already since I read the manga. The animation was really throwing me off the series to start...and I think it was starting around then that I was having a falling out with anime. Might've caught a glimpse of him, but I guess I didn't retain that if I did.

So yeah...I skipped around the first two or three episodes of the original, maybe watching 5 mins (give or take) of each episode before I gave up on the series totally...so your statement of me seeing nothing of the original is not too far off, I probably didn't watch enough of it to cover one full episode.

By the way, love the Shaft image Catgirls.
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 21:18   Link #344
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'm not saying that everyone does. Its just that you shall be getting people like that coming from all sides with what they have to say.. and they pretty much all say the same thing.
You obviously haven't read your own post then have you. Your post implied SPECIFICALLY a broad view of people who weren't satisfied with the setup of the new Negima series. Let me re-quote what you wrote and let you look at it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth
The people that are bad-mouthing Negima!? are the kind that just don't want anything to be different when compared to the original manga.. you get these kinds of fans a lot when it comes to retelling of stories. Doesn't matter how good it may be.. they'll just bitch for no reason. =/
If you didn't mean all of us who have a somewhat negative look at the first episode, then specify so. I have absolutely nothing in common with the type of thinking you were specifying, and have not even started reading the manga yet(though I've got most of it on my computer). And I haven't been saying,"OMG THIS SHOW IS THE SUXORS HACK SHAFT#%@%@%". I gave you examples of where I thought the first episode didn't do anything to live up to the hype given to the series(partially thanks to the OVA perhaps?). The animation I can deal with. The lack of mirroring the Manga's stories and continuity I can deal with. I've seen far worse and enjoyed them. My main complaint involved the pacing of the entire episode(especially the last half). And I'm not coming to this as a new viewer to the Negima world. I watched all of the first series(Enjoyed it for what it was but agreed with many complaints given about it). I know who most of the characters are, but the rate in which they introduced them the first episode was crap. I only hope they slow down the pace and flesh out the characters in a more drawn out and meaningful way. As it is now, the introductions were very close to absolutely meaningless(and a waste of time).

-JustinStrife
Old 2006-10-12, 21:33   Link #345
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'll say it again - you've just completely mis-understanded what i originally meant.

And when i first said that, i didn't have you in my mind at all. So you can calm down now~
Old 2006-10-12, 21:37   Link #346
Clarste
Human

Maybe being familiar with the characters is why that scene is so annoying to some people. It would seem half-hearted or something, giving a minor glimpse of everyone for no particular reason. As someone who has no idea who anyone is or why I should care, I found it a great for introducing the class itself as its own character. It's trying to show the spirit of the class a whole, not trying to introduce the characters individually. I'm sure the relevant people will get development as they become relevant, and everyone else will fall to the sidelines, but we'll still be left with this interesting impression of the class itself.

PS: The class as a whole seems defined by its variety, which is why it's meaningful to give everyone a line.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 21:38   Link #347
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
My main complaint involved the pacing of the entire episode(especially the last half). And I'm not coming to this as a new viewer to the Negima world. I watched all of the first series(Enjoyed it for what it was but agreed with many complaints given about it). I know who most of the characters are, but the rate in which they introduced them the first episode was crap. I only hope they slow down the pace and flesh out the characters in a more drawn out and meaningful way. As it is now, the introductions were very close to absolutely meaningless(and a waste of time).

-JustinStrife
While I understand where you're coming from and, for that matter, agree with it to a certain point (in the long run, the introductions done in episode 1 probably won't matter), I must also say that in my opinion, you're being a tad harsh in your judgement.

It's true that a line or two won't give substance to a character and their personality, but how can you do so when there's 31 people in that class and less than 23 minutes in the episode? I mean, even the manga hasn't gotten to the point where they've fleshed out all the characters yet (to the best of my recollection). It was a little lame, but the purpose of the introductions were simple that; an introduction. Just as you thought it was a waste of time and crap, I think of it as merely a way to reveal the class to the audience (those who have not read the manga or watched the "original" series) and to put a name to each face, even though the names probably won't stick for a while for those viewers. If you take it in that context, it's still crap and pointless in the long run, but it accomplishes what it was meant to do.

Of course I could be over-reaching and giving credit where credit isn't due, but I just don't think that the introductions were as hugely craptastic as you [seemingly] do.

Add-on: D'oh! Bahamut89 beat me to it.
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 23:03   Link #348
Adyen

While the graphic qualities has definately gone up, I'm afraid that this episode hasn't left a very good impression with me.

First off, the characters are... umm... "Utena-ish". And when I say that, I mean the OVA, not the TV Series. Hard-line characters don't look very good and that's especially when you could see it in certain angle of Asuna's face.

Second... Omg. They killed Takamichi. His voice completely doesn't work, and while they got the attitude right... ya, he looks like an older Archer.

It's good that they got right on to the vampire chase, though they lose out on the chance to develop Konoha and Asuna better. A fair enough trade-off, I guess.

Overall an improvement from That-Which-Does-Not-Exist, but even as a stand alone, the only thing that's keeping my attention is the Maho Sentai Baka Rangers!
Adyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 00:33   Link #349
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I really like the thought of that character introduction scene as a way to introduce the class as a character, rather than just mini-intros of the characters. Each of the students were talking to each other so you saw how they interacted together, not just in isolation. It was very much a class.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 00:39   Link #350
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut89 View Post
Maybe being familiar with the characters is why that scene is so annoying to some people. It would seem half-hearted or something, giving a minor glimpse of everyone for no particular reason. As someone who has no idea who anyone is or why I should care, I found it a great for introducing the class itself as its own character. It's trying to show the spirit of the class a whole, not trying to introduce the characters individually. I'm sure the relevant people will get development as they become relevant, and everyone else will fall to the sidelines, but we'll still be left with this interesting impression of the class itself.

PS: The class as a whole seems defined by its variety, which is why it's meaningful to give everyone a line.
Ah, that's a very good way of putting it. I felt that way too, even though I'm already familiar with the show and the characters. And you're right: as the show goes forward, the important characters will get more screentime and, thus, become more important than just "some other person in the class" (you see that already in episode 2). As you said, the class itself is interesting for its diversity and variety, but now we dig deeper to see what lies beneath the surface. So, anyway, all that to say that I agree. Good thought.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 00:50   Link #351
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut89 View Post

To borrow from a certain American comic, the class is composed entirely of that group in school tagged "the other clique". The ones who don't fit in anywhere else. We'll see if they're able to flesh the characters out during the course of the series past their "25 words or less" superficial description. They each have their own background story - some fairly stereotypical, others rather unique. I still kind of feel like the "flash introductions" left a television viewer new to the story bewildered ... but those who recorded can step through more slowly
Old 2006-10-13, 01:20   Link #352
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I still kind of feel like the "flash introductions" left a television viewer new to the story bewildered ... but those who recorded can step through more slowly
Well, this is just a thought, but think of it like your own first day in a new school/workplace/wherever. Or, if you want to put it another way, think of it like the OP/ED credits. You get inundated with introductions and information, but aren't really expected to remember all of it. At best you might pick out certain names you recognize, or remember the names that seem most important. I think the "overwhelmingness" would only happen in the first episode if anyone thought there'd be a test coming up. Hopefully most of the new viewers will "just roll with it" - and actually, this seems in many ways like the sort of show where that'd be good all-around advice.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 01:37   Link #353
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

<lol> the "first day new employee" feeling is a metaphor I used a page or two back. I was just trying to imagine watching it on japan tv without the ability to step or freeze frame (like more of the new target audience will be like). <shrug> we've talked this aspect to death... overall I'm pretty excited about the style and direction this is going and can't wait for episode 2.
Old 2006-10-13, 03:35   Link #354
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

But you're assuming that the target audience had no prior warning. Maybe, there was some warning with the CMs promoting this show. People do have Tivo, VCRs, etc to record it with and YouTube to view it on also.
Old 2006-10-13, 07:32   Link #355
Ialdaboth

I have seen episode 2 yesterday, and it's a real pleasure to see the works of a director who knows his job.

Out of curiosity, all the people here who criticize this second season really prefer the first one ?

Last edited by Ialdaboth; 2006-10-13 at 11:02.
Ialdaboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 08:03   Link #356
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialdaboth View Post
Out of curiosity, all the people here who criticize this second season really prefer the first one ? O_o
Its not a second season, its a retelling of the story.
Old 2006-10-13, 11:16   Link #357
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I massively prefer this retelling over the first "that we shall not speak of" attempt. But I don't think it is "perfect" and there's nothing like "backseat driving" to annoy and entertain until the next episode is released. If all I can really nit about is the "speedreading" introduction of characters --- then I'd say it went really well. The interesting thing to me is how they're *still* hitting the main plot points so far... just in a novel way.

I'll just refer everyone to the "fish dance ritual" of episode one of the first series.... my gods that was awful.
Old 2006-10-13, 14:52   Link #358
Takemaru
Helpfull Chibi

Send a message via MSN to Takemaru Send a message via Yahoo to Takemaru
Raw Version was good. Waiting for subs
Takemaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 19:50   Link #359
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
I really like the thought of that character introduction scene as a way to introduce the class as a character, rather than just mini-intros of the characters. Each of the students were talking to each other so you saw how they interacted together, not just in isolation. It was very much a class.
One of them actually was talking to herself, the girl with the computer, who was murmuring accusation of the class-inchou as shouta-kun.

Two things I've observed after watchng the second episode. First, this series seems to be poking fun at the previous anime adaptation. The voice over announcer is a prime example of that whose tone of attitude is so familiar in parodies. I just couldn't help but laugh at the way he was describing in the first episode as to why Negi, a 10-year-old, has to go to undertake a teaching position in a all-girl school who are also older than him. Then, the dialogue filled opening theme "song" in the 2nd episode where a lot of those dialogues are remniscient of the previous adaptation. I mean, a lot of us have already observed as to how strange and unusual the opening theme song is, but I wonder how many actually have paid attention to those random (seemingly) dialogues. I still need the subs to understand them fully, nontheless, found them pretty amusing from as much as I understood.

The second thing I noticed is that Evangeline was the main attraction for both of these episodes. Does this mean the central theme (vampire) of this series would follow suit of Shinbo's other delicious work, TMP (Tsukyomi Moon Phase)? The uncanny familiarity between the series seems to indicate as such which only makes me happy. Having a main theme is a good thing too because, in my humble opinion, the first adaptation failed due to the lack of focus to any theme.

Episode two was more entertaining for me because it was more amusing. I was rolling when Negi summoned a pot right above Asuna's head in his second try of elaborate magic spell so he could wipe out her memory to preseve his secret.

P.S. I realize the above observations are already made by other fans in form of specualtion. Naturally, I was really excited to be able to see and recognize what those folks were talking about for the first time, and just had to let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
I'm not saying that ANN is wrong, but I'd love to see them start referencing where they get their information. I personally haven't seen any official mention of series length.
I've no idea either where the ANN are getting their info's, but I'm hoping they will turn out to be right! If Shinbo could stretch TMP to 25 episodes (technically, 26) and was still able to keep it entertaining, why not Negima!? as well!!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 14:35   Link #360
Tsume

Anou... Jinsoo-san, how's the fansub of ep 2 coming along?
Tsume is offline   Reply With Quote