AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-05-07, 11:01   Link #41
Tima
Konichiwa

The trailer to this movie is awesome!!! It's reminds me alot of kill bill and the matrix. The mood of Casshern and the graphics from the trailer seem to rival that of matrix. I hope someone subs this or it's released in the states.
Tima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 17:48   Link #42
Seiryuu

Just out of curiosity... The subbed trailer suggests to me that some groups are going to try and sub this movie. If they do, will it, like Sailor Moon LA, have a chance of appearing here? also, is it licensed?
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 18:06   Link #43
Alphonse

Casshern is really pretty...I really like the way the characters look. (Especially Luna <3) But the story is so corny XD I hope someone subs it~
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 19:05   Link #44
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
Ive been waiting for this to come out for awhile now. I loved the anime and i cant wait to see the movie. It looks like itll live and maybe surpass the anime. Well atleast i hope so.
silentpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-28, 15:43   Link #45
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

Casshern was ok at best. I couldn't understand anything but even with subs. I'm still sure i'll be confused. They liked to go in and out of wierd scenes and of course I don't know why but it seems there twos places that one may be in the air or on a ship that always has that blue lighting for it while when there on the ground or wherever it has that redish orange type tint. The fighting is good but not much at all,, and very short. The best had to be when the guy in white went against the robots and the unseen clips of the humans vs the robots. Very story driven whatever it may be. From what Iwatched and thats just raw I would have to give it a 6.5/10. I'm sure if I knew the story I'd bump it up another point but thats it. The movie progresses slowly. I remember thinking I was halfway through and it was only an hour in (the movie is 2 hours and 20 minutes+). Seems way to long for it and I think they could have cut it up more. The cg was fantastic, the characters were pleasing to watch and didn't act retarded except the one dude that was retarded or something like that. I'll watch it again when its subbed but more then once and your pushing it. The movie seemed like more then 3 hours and it would be very hard to recommend this to someone who may not be really into japanese anime or movies.
kagetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 00:18   Link #46
mattato
art snob

Send a message via AIM to mattato
casshern text file request

does anyone have the simpletext subtitle file for this movie?

if you have it, i'll gladly give up my first-born

aim: titus spike

please, anyone?
mattato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 09:20   Link #47
blue_phoenix

Question casshern (or Casshan) live action movie

can anyone post a link where i could download the movie, or give info if i could get this on dvd (bootleg or otherwise)
blue_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 09:40   Link #48
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Uh, you can't. It's technically licenced in the US. Word has it that Paramount will be bringing this to the US and will announce this shortly. Plus from what I've seen, nobody has done a fansub of it yet. Now if someone wants to prove me wrong I'd be happy to get a link too, but from my understanding this is licenced and not fansubbed.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 11:14   Link #49
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

The movie is still in theatres in Japan, it only came out just a few weeks ago. It's not going to be on DVD for awhile yet.
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 23:57   Link #50
H2-FumoGuu
パンツ。。。好き

I watched about half of "cd1". Didn't have any subs and the show is very heavy on sci-fi/military/politics vocab so I could barely make out what was going on but even then it definitely wasn't my kind of movie. Needless to say I stopped watching.

I don't like live action movies taht much in general but after checking out the crappiness of Casshern, Azumi, Moonlight Child (starring Gackt), and Madness of Cherry Blossoms (Genki Sudo)... I think I'm going to stick with just watching anime.
H2-FumoGuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 01:34   Link #51
thermal
JDM

Send a message via AIM to thermal
Any info on this?

I apologize if this is a repost.....

I came across this site:
http://www.apple.com/jp/quicktime/tr...ern_large.html

I think that it's awesome but since I dont understand the language, can anybody confirm if this is a movie or not? Thanks...
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 02:19   Link #52
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal
I apologize if this is a repost.....

I came across this site:
http://www.apple.com/jp/quicktime/tr...ern_large.html

I think that it's awesome but since I dont understand the language, can anybody confirm if this is a movie or not? Thanks...
Yeah, its a movie. I've heard that the movie is actually based off of a old manga *dunno which one though*. You can catch the movie on DVD October 23rd.

Here's the official site: http://www.casshern.com
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 03:54   Link #53
thermal
JDM

Send a message via AIM to thermal
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixfire92983
Yeah, its a movie. I've heard that the movie is actually based off of a old manga *dunno which one though*. You can catch the movie on DVD October 23rd.

Here's the official site: http://www.casshern.com
Thanks alot!
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-15, 16:50   Link #54
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Casshern- Licensed? To be subbed?

I was just wondering whether any groups were planning of subbing this (assuming that it isn't licensed). I know the raw came out a while ago but haven't ever been able to find out whether anybody was doing anything with it.

Oops- my bad, mods- I'd forgotten that this thread mentioned that Casshern WAS indeed licensed. Pity, because considering Paramount's treatment of similar movies (*cough...Shaolin Soccer....cough*), most of us will probably never get to see it- until AND if it reaches DVD. Grumbles...paramount.....stupid bastards....grrr.

I'm assuming the release everybody is talking about above me is the japanese release considering that the site is mostly in Japanese....

Last edited by wsheit; 2004-09-15 at 19:32.
wsheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 08:02   Link #55
wao
OK.

Whee! Go necromancer mode! I just decided to rake this thread to, uh, announce the most unimportant piece of information... To anyone who might actually be interested, Casshern is going to open in Singapore 25/9 if I'm not wrong.

Somehow, I think to generate hype for the movie, VideoVan is organising a Schools Community Project: Casshern Manga Art and Short Animated Video Competiiton...

If you're 13-16 you can take part in them: the Manga art competition will be held on the 18th in The CHinese High School, all you need to do apparently is to just take art tools of your choice, sit down and draw one of 6 characters presented to you from the Casshern movie, onto an A3 paper in manga style. And draw whatever else you want with it. 1st prize winner gets $300. ANd you get an additional $200 as first-prize winner to do a commercial assignment to draw two Casshern characters in manga style.

The short animated video thing is ... well, you are given a 3-minute original film segment which you must somehow edit, cut, b0rk, add special effects and dubbing and whatever, to a new version that must be 60 secs minimum but cannot exceed 90 secs. The competition starts from the 29th November 2004 and the final product must be handed in by 14th February 2005. The prizes are attractive: first prize winner gets $1000. And if you let VideoVan take over your video, as first prize winner you get an additional $500.
Thing is, you can only take part as a team of minimum 3 people, maximum 5. So in the end you still get around $330 which isn't much more than the first prize for the manga thing, but still.

I dunno about any Singaporean people on this fourm who are even interested and fall within the age range, but oh well... I suppose their purpose for doing this is to promote the movie, give it hype...
How was the movie anyway? I read through this thread and I can't find enough opinions to decide.

Ah... I'm not particularly interested in it anyway, BUT, I am taking part in the Manga competiion thing because I have never taken part in one before and while I don't like competitions I think I need the experience, even though honestly speaking I am not all that good at manga comapred to some really talented people out there... I doubt I'll win, but there's absolutely no harm trying. I won't get depressed if I lose. :P And well, if I do win then that's good, I could use $300. Perhaps it might help me later on in life, as I've always wanted to get more experience and so on in this area...

Anybody? I bet you nobody's going to reply. Who cares ^_^

Oh, by the way, I think their tactic is fairly effective because something like an "official" manga competition would draw the attention of somebody (at least me) - or at least I HOPE so because I don't want to be the only one at CHS on the 18th - and in turn draw attention to the movie. Furthermore if the manga art turns out to be good (there is incentive to draw well especially when manga competitions are so rare) it'd be good promotion for the film. Also they're targeting a rather suitable audience, or at least that is what I think.
Old 2004-10-27, 16:36   Link #56
Weissent
on and off member

Lightbulb Thread revival

Finally ...
..I've seen this movie ("Casshern") in the subbed version, and it turned out to be quite great; not without flaws, mind you, but overall it was well worth watching it. Since it was one of the first movies exclusively using digital backgrounds and effects, most of the overall impression relies on the quality of the CGI. Most of them are breathtaking, but there are still a few shots that lack the sophistication and remind me of Playstation One (psx) inter-game-sequences of FF8 and FF9. Another strong point is the computer-aided tainting of certain scenes. Some may think this style is used a little too often, but since it inhances the feeling of irreality of this movie I strongly condone the use of this.

What I actually have a problem is the story (again). The main points are quite obvious: "Humans hurt each other, that's why they need to be tolerant and be able to forgive", and "We cannot decide if we participate on the good or bad side of history, the only thing we can do is decide certain things and history will tell us, if that was ok."

Actually, those two main messages are worth being driven home, but *that* happens a few dozen times too often. In the last minutes the whole action gets quite confusing (which isn't quite new for Japanes movies; the director seems to chose an open ending), and the viewers get to see some kind of interpretation of the groundwork.)

I may be one of the ppl who need a solid hit with a bat to recognize an alternative to a standard ending, but the finale didn't do for me.

On the other hand, this movie has some of the most extraordinary editing and special effects I have ever seen. Should you be one of the ppl who was priviledged to watch an anime showdown of a series of your choice, you won't be disappointed. The soundtrack does a good job, too. Nu-Metal guitars sound when the action starts, strings when there's some kind of dramatic effect needed.

Since http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0405821/ suggests that there will be an American release of the original version, I would suggest you watch it, if you're able to.
I, at least, will need to get a number of further viewings to realize the actual meaning of "Casshern". Besides that WW2 German uniforms/helmets looked great.
Weissent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-17, 23:33   Link #57
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Forgive me, for I have sinned... and watched Casshern today, much to that little voice in my head saying "It's licensed!"

Spoilers ahead.

It seemed like the creators spontaneously decided to just apply the "Blur" filter from Photoshop to every single scene in the movie, which was easily the most annoying special effect I have ever seen in a movie, bar none. In fact, just about all of the special effects were, in my opinion, well over the top, and ended up causing me more annoyance than anything else. For example, in the middle of a fight scene, everything will just start flashing randomly and some person's face will appear. Why, in the first fight scene of the movie (Tetsuya vs. Unnamed Female Henchwoman #1), there is, in fact, almost no action shown whatsoever. What we DO see is random blurs done all over the place which follow shots of the woman's head as she does all kinds of flips and stuff.

The CG, though usually annoying, was actually very beautiful. There's this one fight scene in which Tetsuya battles several millions of giant robots. That part was cool. There's another scene where a really, really giant robot comes out and creates an atomic explosion. That looked nice. When the robots are first deployed though, and it goes into this weird red and black anime thing, though... that's annoying. Another thing that's annoying is the constant shifting between extremely blurry color and extremely blurry black and white.

The music sucked. Heavy metal over and over and over and over. Other than the short, soft piano music that's played in the really "emotional" parts (which never make any sense whatsoever), heavy metal is ALL that is played. That's not to mention the numerous points throughout the movie when there is no sound whatsoever. There is just complete silence for a minute or two while characters just open their mouths and talk. We hear nothing they say, there's no music, and it's annoying as hell. When used correctly, silence can be a very effective story-telling device. In this... OVERKILL.

The story was interesting, but it arose numerous questions. For instance...

Why didn't Midori decompose?
How did Luna resurrect in the end? Was it because she was touching the leader of the Neo-Sapiens? If that's the case, how come the Neo-Sapiens can't resurrect?
How was Tetsuya able to communicate with his mother after he died?
Why did she forget about the meeting five seconds later?
Did Tetsuya explode in the end?
What was the conflict, if any at all? Perhaps the theme of the movie is that everything that occurs is stupid and meaningless?
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Other than those questions, and the aforementioned complaints with the motion-sickness-inducing blurry CG and music, I rather enjoyed watching Casshern. I wouldn't really recommend watching it, though.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 18:00   Link #58
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

Saw this one a while ago, meh not that good.
Old 2004-12-30, 11:47   Link #59
maohayato
Evil God

the movie has little to no connection with the old casshern, he doesn't wear his helmet, doesn't have his dog and is basically a whiny superhero that selfdestructs after his girlfriend dies.

if we were to consider that casshern is the name of a god that protects the weak in the movie, he really doesn't live up to his name. if you look closer at the story, they tell you that the neocell treatment doesn't exist, its just recycling of human body parts, so how is it possible that the leader of the neosapiens is as strong as the exosuit enhanced casshern??? deus ex machina huh
maohayato is offline   Reply With Quote