AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-03-14, 02:31   Link #1
TheWinterCold

Anime Sizes?

If you upload anime episodes eg. sites such as veoh, youtube, someone on the forum told me it's about 80 mg
but i went to download an episode, and it's about 200+ mg?
is that right?
dl-ing bigger than up-loading?
hmmm...
TheWinterCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-14, 06:00   Link #2
Zephyranthes

Files on youtube or other streaming sites are usually smaller since the video quality is lower than downloading regular the normal .avi or .mkv via torrent (eg: from animesuki).
Zephyranthes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-14, 19:30   Link #3
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

80MB for a Youtube format of a 30-minute anime episode sounds about right.

If you download an episode, different sub groups set different sizes for their releases (when they deal with the raw video before adding subs the files were way larger). Larger files (usually) make for higher quality, but there are certain sizes that groups release in so that they fit nicely into discs if you burn them. 200MB is usually chosen because one season of 24 episodes would fit on a DVD-R (4.9GB), and a few years ago people pick 175MB because four of them fit on a CD-R (700MB).

I've seen H.264 1280x720 formats go around 240MB-350MB nowadays, because there's not as much of a need to burn into DVDs when external hard drives are more efficient.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 02:29   Link #4
TheWinterCold

so i guess the options are

upload and have average quality, but i can watch 4-5x the amount of anime
or
download and have 'supposed' good quality, but watch 1/4-1/5 the amount of anime

what do you guys think???
Old 2009-03-15, 02:36   Link #5
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinterCold View Post

or
download and have 'supposed' good quality, but watch 1/4-1/5 the amount of anime

I'm afraid I don't understand - do you have terrible download speeds or something? You can easily let it download overnight or when you are away from the computer, it's not going to run away or something.

Also, the quality is really, really good. If you're the crowd that got really used to Youtube and Crunchyroll it'll probably take you a little bit to get used to it, but seriously, nobody ever argues against a bigger picture.
Old 2009-03-15, 09:26   Link #6
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinterCold View Post

or

That may be technically right, but only if your connection is rather slow, and if you can only watch and download anime at the same time. With a fast enough connection it doesn't really matter downloadable anime has a higher file size, plus you can always download when you're doing things other than watching anime (such as sleeping; just leave your PC on during the night).

About the only advantage I see is that you can watch YouTube videos instantly, while downloading always takes some time, even on the fastest of connections. But if a file is available for downloading before it appears on YouTube that's a mute point.

Also... YouTube has a 10 minute limit. You will have to chop the episode up into 2-3 parts to upload it whole.

Edit:
Also, with the right equipment a HD fansub blows YouTube completely away quality-wise. The difference is staggering.

Edit 2:
Admins can see the contents of deleted posts . I agree with a data limit you have to think how you are going to spend your "bandwidth allowance", so it makes sense to go for the smallest size if you want to watch as much anime as possible. But the limit you talk of is extremely low. Is there really no better provider? In the Netherlands you can get 20mbps ADSL without download caps (really generous fair use policy) for 20 euro/month. In fact no provider in the Netherlands that I know of has download limits. They had/have them in Belgium though, but even there they're loosing up now.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 12:37   Link #7
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Edit 2:
Admins can see the contents of deleted posts .
Is that an open secret or am I woefully ignorant?

But yeah...download limits are evil. Even legitimate files are getting larger in size, so there's some danger to business in keeping caps around.
Old 2009-03-15, 16:30   Link #8
jigoku shoujo

you can find many websites who re-encode several animes to reduce the size and upload to rapidshare, mediafire, etc, I don't like this idea but if your plan is to save bandwidth...
jigoku shoujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 23:47   Link #9
TheWinterCold

well the plan i am on is ending in a few months, and then i can go on a much,much better one
every kind of plan in aus has a cap

also, i should explain the plan i am on...

i get a connection speed of around 100mg p/s
and a dl speed of 160-170kb p/s
^yes that dl speed is fast in aus
Old 2009-03-16, 16:21   Link #10
Shadow Kira01

The size of an anime episode file depends on the format of the file, as well as where you get it.

XVID = 175mb+
MKV = 225mb+

LQ = 50-80mb+
HQ = 200-350mb+
Blue-Ray = 500-750mb+

Youtube = depending on whether its SQ or HQ, the size varies

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-03-16 at 16:33. Reason: added blue-ray.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 19:07   Link #11
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
.rmvb formatted episodes are like 80mb... the quality isn't too bad probably similar to youtube stuff
TubZzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 19:16   Link #12
jpwong

It's all a matter of how much anime you are interested in and what your bandwith cap is.

For example, if you're in some of those US areas (as an example) that's instiuting 5GB/month bandwith caps, you might as well kiss watching any at all away.

I would say conventionally, a lot of ISPs seem to be tinkering along the lines of 60GB/month as a "low" end cap which would still permit 5-7 weekly series and still have enough free bandwith to do other things.

Your size will depend on lots of factors though. HD content instantly jumps you into the 230-500MB/episode ranges while SD content can run as low as 100MB/episode.

Also, MKV is not a codec
Old 2009-03-16, 20:46   Link #13
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Most cable companies in the US like Comcast/Time Warner/Cablevision implement 250 GB caps on their connections... and even worse, they can throttle your connection if you use too much bandwidth which is why many people are complaining about slow download speeds over bittorrent or any app using excessive amounts of bandwidth (VoIP, video streaming, etc.) Not to mention, you can easily go over your cap by streaming videos with a legitimate service like Netflix or play online video games.

In my case, my ISP (Verizon) does not cap nor throttle my connection, but my download and upload speeds are lower since I'm on DSL.
Old 2009-03-23, 02:19   Link #14
TheWinterCold

maybe this sounds presumptuous, but i think you guys take what you have for granted, as i said, i get 8gb a month, and that is generally enough for me, though i sometimes wish i had more (for anime purposes).

"...implement 250 GB caps on their connections... and even worse, they can throttle your connection if you use too much bandwidth" "people are complaining about slow download speeds" what are these speeds? like 200mg/per second?

you guys should think about how little you pay for how much... i shudder to think of even the slowed down versions of your plans^
Old 2009-03-23, 03:00   Link #15
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

A 250 GB "cap" isn't really much of a cap unless you're into downloading full DVD ISOs or something.

Even with high quality 500 MB per episode HDTV fansubs, you won't really hit that cap unless you really have nothing to do than watch fansubs all day long.

In contrast, a 8 GB cap is much, much more painful... I wouldn't be able to handle it myself I think.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 08:00   Link #16
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
A 250 GB "cap" isn't really much of a cap unless you're into downloading full DVD ISOs or something.
I have to agree with that. I remember seeing a forum when comcast announced their 250GB/month cap and watching all the rage with people saying they do at least twice that. And here I am having had to deal with 60GB/month caps ever since I got broadband.
Old 2009-03-23, 08:19   Link #17
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Even worse, mobile broadband companies like Verizon and AT&T put 6GB bandwidth caps on their mobile broadband cards... but mobile broadband isn't designed for downloading large files, but you can easily use 6GB with heavy web surfing.
Old 2009-03-26, 15:55   Link #18
jigoku shoujo

250gb cap lol, my statistics of downloaded in utorrent still below this after ~6 months, I think some guys are really heavy downloaders...
jigoku shoujo is offline   Reply With Quote