AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-07, 15:38   Link #541
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
As for the gang parading down the street, it was laughable if you wanted to laugh, but it also made a strong image. And I think anime is a myth-creator rather than a medium for simple realism. So it worked for me.
I agree - I actually loved that intro scene. Sure, it had that "look how cool we are!" overtone, but I thought it really was cool, especially with the added visual effects (colors, distortions, etc).

And to all the people complaining about the eeeww icky BL overtone ( seriously, guys) and feeling too threatened to continue watching: look, there are three main female characters in the show, right? One is a cute little gothloli who sticks with the big "bad" Red King as a Cute Item of sorts. The other wears a barely-there mini skirt and shows off her T&A in the OP (with added boob jiggle). And the third one is the resident Fanservice Queen who is shown naked twice, with the camera lingering on her, let's just say, groin area. So... what is the problem? This show has eyecandy for everyone.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-10-07 at 15:52.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 17:45   Link #542
Ridwan

I foresee this serial to spawn a horde of chuunibyous later down the line.
Old 2012-10-07, 20:47   Link #543
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Ok, so I got we got these 'gangs' who are presumably are ruled over by the leaders, and white boy used to be a bloodthirsty maniac who killed the previous 7th leader but now wants no part of it?

Interesting visuals to be sure, but so far no draw from me.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 21:59   Link #544
Insane
Banned

The episode idea was really interesting for me. All the characters interacting and battling for unknown reasons… until the main character appears and we have the final revelation at the end of the ep. This is unusual, and I’m tired of the “classic manga start” (like the start Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun) and… Well, I don’t mind/can ignore it when it’s well done, but the change is a welcomed fresh air in anime.

So I hope the plot discovers itself as great, only that.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 22:04   Link #545
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

The only thing that seems very out of place(even the seiyuu made a little fun of this in the web radio) is the battou scene(where the sector 4 member unsheath their swords before declaring their name). That one was hilarious and feel unnecessary to me lol.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 22:21   Link #546
Gomenasai
The Poster-guy

Loved the first episode. Only I wish there were more action. Like when the police and the thug guys were about to duke it out, they simply skipped the fight altogether.
Gomenasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 07:06   Link #547
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
The only thing that seems very out of place(even the seiyuu made a little fun of this in the web radio) is the battou scene(where the sector 4 member unsheath their swords before declaring their name). That one was hilarious and feel unnecessary to me lol.
I think it was a little Narmy, but IMO that showcases their characters quite well - old-fashioned honour, highly disciplined, police corps with samurai tendencies.
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 08:39   Link #548
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
I agree with Kirroha, perhaps it was melodramatic (but then, what wasn't in this episode? ), but I liked it. What I thought was out of place was the Sexy Corps' uniforms - they look hilariously anachronistic. Then again, mmmm uniforms..... (Seriously: swords, sexy uniforms, pretty boys plus a pretty lady, two aristocratic/sophisticated megane characters... this, people, is audience pandering done right, at least as far as I'm concerned.)

I think there are two ways an anime can get away with being as full of itself as K: being self-aware and subtly making fun of itself; or being earnest and playing everything straight, but having the budget and the talent to back it up. From the first ep K seems to be in the latter category: self-indulgent, yes, style over substance, yes, but at least it's doing it right (mostly).
Old 2012-10-08, 08:44   Link #549
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post

I think there are two ways an anime can get away with being as full of itself as K: being self-aware and subtly making fun of itself; or being earnest and playing everything straight, but having the budget and the talent to back it up. From the first ep K seems to be in the latter category: self-indulgent, yes, style over substance, yes, but at least it's doing it right (mostly).
Doesn't that describe....Million hit Nico Nico PVs minus the budget
Old 2012-10-08, 08:54   Link #550
MartianMage

Just watched episode 1. I guess it's ok but I do have issues with how they handle the colors.... ugh why is it everything in this show is reflective....
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 09:01   Link #551
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Doesn't that describe....Million hit Nico Nico PVs minus the budget
Well yes, but here's where the budget comes in!
Old 2012-10-08, 09:04   Link #552
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
. <snip>

On another note, am I the only one immature enough to lol when blondie with the large boobies said, "It's huge!" Are those swords going to actually serve a purpose, or are they just going to be the most unsubtle phallic imagery in a shounen fighting anime ever?
But...Scepter 4 captured Homora's king so size doesn't matter.

Last edited by orion; 2012-10-08 at 09:38.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 09:28   Link #553
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
That first episode was fascinating for me, but I see a lot of faces here in this thread that I think are out of their element the same way I am when I go to watch one of those "slice of life" shows so I don't think this show is going to give them what they are looking for. If you were just attracted hear by the glitzy animation production and direction (and I think it almost sets a new standard for TV anime at least in terms of being visually stimulating if not in having more frames of animation per second) and came from the school of Kyoani or say Shaft (don't know any other brands that are watched just for their animation stylings by many so if those are poor comparisons then eh...) for it then I don't think you're going to be able to enjoy this show content, pacing and direction wise at all and I don't think it's made for you either.

What I mean by that is this show seems to be about style and nuance first to attract attention first, exposition and character development later when it has your undivided attention. I see subtle touches of revealing what things are about over time even in this episode, but somehow I feel with this show it would actually do it a disservice to reveal everything in the first episode. I think this is going to be one of those shows that slowly peels back the layers of it's setting, characters and conflict as time goes on. This is GoHands first TV project that I know of so there's everything to prove and nothing to make assumptions off of what to expect yet though so I'm every bit ready to give it the chance to do so. I'll worry about the narrative if nothing is clear by the halfway point but other than that I'm intrigued. Just watching things unfold should be a pretty interesting experience in and of itself if my suspicions prove correct about the type of story we've got going here.

I also quite liked the soundtrack. I'd describe it as quite urban and modern, perfect for the way the show comes across really. It sounds like something Shoji Meguro of Shin Mega Ten fame would compose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Is there a reason for the de-saturated art style? For some reason, I get the surreal feeling that this is a Flashback.

In addition, there were those occasional flickers of a different lighting scheme at certain scenes.

Plot-wise, everything is still as vague as ever. Disconnected even.
It's GoHands style. If you have seen Mardock Scramble you'd recognize it instantly. Which reminds me of one other thing, while really shiny and pristine looking like say a lot of P.A Works stuff, there's something rather organic about the city in this show. It brings back that lived in feel that's been missing from a lot of anime where something about the city looks artificial, almost as if the characters are superimposed over a backgrounds setting rather than inhabit and interact with it. There was a lot of little details like graffiti and signs of urban decay (something you'd NEVER see in most shows that are going for the polished look nowadays, but used to be common in shows like Cowboy Bebop for example) and lots of actual interaction with the scenery going on even with background characters in this opening episode which didn't go unnoticed in helping bring the setting which looks like it's going to be a big part of the focus (hopefully not getting Guilty Crowned here) to life.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-10-08 at 09:55.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 09:38   Link #554
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But...Scepter 4 captured Homora's king so size doesn't matter.
Also, their phallic object was just as big.

(Btw, most unsubtle phallic imagery? Have you read/seen Bleach? )
Old 2012-10-08, 09:39   Link #555
NK_500
Disabled By Request

Quote:
And to all the people complaining about the eeeww icky BL overtone ( seriously, guys) and feeling too threatened to continue watching: look, there are three main female characters in the show, right? One is a cute little gothloli who sticks with the big "bad" Red King as a Cute Item of sorts. The other wears a barely-there mini skirt and shows off her T&A in the OP (with added boob jiggle). And the third one is the resident Fanservice Queen who is shown naked twice, with the camera lingering on her, let's just say, groin area. So... what is the problem? This show has eyecandy for everyone.
I hate to say this but take Gensomaden Saiyuki for example. First it tried to look like a shounen show like Yaone have big breasts, Goddess of Mercy wear see-through dress in the manga and her breasts can be clearly seen but in reality it just a shoujo show badly disguised as a shounen. To make matter worse this generation's bishounen fanservice shows like 07-Ghost, Betrayal Knows My Name(I forgot its Japanese title and I don't care about it either), Kuroshitsuji and dubiously Katekyo Hitman Reborn have its roots in Gensomaden Saiyuki. Hell, even Gensomaden Saiyuki had its roots in Weiss Kruez, the very first show that safe to be called as "bishounen fanservice).

For this show, I would call it as a fujioshi switch-and-bait. The male-oriented fanservice which you mentioned is the "bait" and the BL undertones are the "switch". As a male viewer, why would I take the bait when I can see the switch that waiting to be triggered? Some other men, especially adventurous ones may take that bait but for me, I rather turn my back and keep walking. Just leave it as it is. This show is a good example.

By the way I start to troll this thread even if I don't want to. If you still wants to talk about it, please do it privately.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 09:40   Link #556
orion

Quote:
Also, their phallic object was just as big.

(Btw, most unsubtle phallic imagery? Have you read/seen Bleach? )
Oh you mean Ichigo's in the first episode.
Old 2012-10-08, 09:54   Link #557
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post

I also quite liked the soundtrack. I'd describe it as quite urban and modern, perfect for the way the show comes across really. It sounds like something Shoji Meguro of Shin Mega Ten fame would compose.
Actually not just the soundtrack....the whole thing is urban to its core.

Which is quite refreshing actually when combined with the rather laid back pace....how many anime this year have actually used this kind of atmosphere as the main background
Old 2012-10-08, 10:08   Link #558
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Actually not just the soundtrack....the whole thing is urban to its core.

Which is quite refreshing actually when combined with the rather laid back pace....how many anime this year have actually used this kind of atmosphere as the main background
Hmmm...Kids on the Slope prob, but that was late 1950's/early 1960's I think.
Old 2012-10-08, 15:12   Link #559
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
I hate to say this but take Gensomaden Saiyuki for example. First it tried to look like a shounen show like Yaone have big breasts, Goddess of Mercy wear see-through dress in the manga and her breasts can be clearly seen but in reality it just a shoujo show badly disguised as a shounen.
But.... Saiyuuki was based on a manga by a woman who regularly draws BL. What did you expect? (And the way those women look could be a clue in itself... I think even fans of Minekura Kazuya can agree that drawing, ah, conventionally attractive women is not exactly her forte. ) If you want a better example I'd say GetBackers, except GetBackers the anime was tamer than the tamest thing ever, and otherwise it was a watered-down version of the manga that regularly had explosive (not literally) T&A and clothing damage (poor Himiko) and shameless pantyshots and groping and stuff in your face next to the BL-esque hijinks, and was very much a shounen manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
To make matter worse this generation's bishounen fanservice shows like 07-Ghost, Betrayal Knows My Name(I forgot its Japanese title and I don't care about it either), Kuroshitsuji and dubiously Katekyo Hitman Reborn have its roots in Gensomaden Saiyuki. Hell, even Gensomaden Saiyuki had its roots in Weiss Kruez, the very first show that safe to be called as "bishounen fanservice).
uh... there's a lot I could argue with here (starting with the fact that Saiyuuki isn't the first manga of its kind, that the titles you mentioned aren't "bishounen fanservice shows" any more than any anime that featuries exceedingly cute/pretty girls is a "bishoujo fanservice show," etc., also Saiyuuki, Kuroshitsuji, 07-Ghost and Uragiri are in fact shoujo manga/anime so I don't quite see your point there) but I think there's no point when you're so clearly biased against something... Plus this is getting really off-topic.

And sorry, but the "bait and switch" thing is ridiculous. If you've seen any promotion material for this series you should've already known that it was full of pretty boys...

If you don't want to watch K don't watch it, nobody is forcing you? It's just that all the complaining about it not being macho enough, and targeting female viewers (eeeeww! right?) as well as males is getting really ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Oh you mean Ichigo's in the first episode.
And many others in later episodes... XD;; Seriously, much of the early volumes of the manga could be constructed as innuendo and you wouldn't even have to tweak to the text too much. XD;;

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-10-08 at 16:21.
Old 2012-10-08, 18:47   Link #560
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I'm quite amused at how this series is tagged as a "yaoi anime" with only one scene.
Judging from Yashiro's overall personality in episode 1, his reactions should not be expected as necessarily "normal". (Remember Yuuko Kanoe's personality?)
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, bishonen, fantasy, gang, supernatural