AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-06-11, 07:06   Link #321
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweise20 View Post
I thought I set everything up right, but...

I tried to play an mkv with softsubs on mplayer (the Universal version -- I have an Intel Core 2 Duo Mac HD), and the video wouldn't even play. Instead I got this error:

Abnormal playback termination. Check log file for more information.

The log has this to say:

Spoiler for Log hidey:

Mean anything to anybody?
Well, I'm interested why it seems to be loading the options several times...

Might be worth finding the file hu.mplayerhq.mplayerosx.plist in your Library->Preferences folder and renaming it out of the way (when Mplayer isn't running)

Then set up your preferences again. I'm sure a lot of these problems have a lot to do with the front-end....
Old 2007-06-11, 23:56   Link #322
Solecs

I just noticed earlier that I can compile mplayer without using the "--disable-mp3lib" option now. By leaving in mp3lib I don't seem to need the "-ac mad" parameter to force libmad anymore since mplayer defaults to mp3lib. Don't know what impact this would have performance wise, but at least it's one less parameter to pass I guess.

Has anybody else tried this and seen what kind of impact it makes if any? Just curious I suppose. Running on a Core Duo MBP.

Another question: Does anybody else have audio problems with Black Order's h.264 encodes of D.gray-man, or is it just me? I think the audio is mp3, but libmad, ffmpeg, and mp3lib all don't work. Mp3lib probably comes the cloesest to sounding right, but that gives me some wierd "Can't rewind stream" error, while libmad gives no errors but sounds worse. Works in VLC though :-/.

Last edited by Solecs; 2007-06-12 at 00:26.
Old 2007-06-12, 05:09   Link #323
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
I just noticed earlier that I can compile mplayer without using the "--disable-mp3lib" option now. By leaving in mp3lib I don't seem to need the "-ac mad" parameter to force libmad anymore since mplayer defaults to mp3lib. Don't know what impact this would have performance wise, but at least it's one less parameter to pass I guess.

Has anybody else tried this and seen what kind of impact it makes if any? Just curious I suppose. Running on a Core Duo MBP.

Another question: Does anybody else have audio problems with Black Order's h.264 encodes of D.gray-man, or is it just me? I think the audio is mp3, but libmad, ffmpeg, and mp3lib all don't work. Mp3lib probably comes the cloesest to sounding right, but that gives me some wierd "Can't rewind stream" error, while libmad gives no errors but sounds worse. Works in VLC though :-/.
Ah, but that's the thing; the compile used in the Universal Binary installer DOES include --disable-mp3lib

Spoiler for Configure options used...:

The reason is that including mp3lib will prevent Intel-based Macs from being able to compile successfully; there's a weird compile error with one of the MMX source files which bombs it out. Even though you think it's using MP3lib, it's failing, and passing responsibilities across to the FFMPEG library insted for the audio decode, which doesn't like some/most formats of MP3 used, which is why it comes out garbled.

The reason I had to include LibMAD in this build was to accomodate that...

If you have a look at the log when you run that D.Gray-man file, it will tell you near the top what it's using to decode the audio, and that may give a clue - based on prior experience, it's unusual for an H264 file to have MP3 audio though...

Last edited by Nonezumi; 2007-06-12 at 09:36.
Old 2007-06-12, 08:20   Link #324
Solecs

Well, I knew about mp3lib breaking the compile before. What I'm saying is that the latest source I downloaded from svn compiles even if I leave mp3lib enabled, and according to terminal it's using mp3lib on files with mp3 audio (tested it out on a few different files since I was kind of surprised).

The D.gray-man thing is the exception though, it's the only thing I tested that gives errors. That's been a problem since the beginning though with all the different audio decoders I've tried. As far as mp3 w/ h.264 goes I thought that was wierd too, but what are you going to do when it's free, heh. VLC plays it fine though, but according to the stream information in VLC the audio is MPGA (but I think that's just a fancy way of saying mp3?). I might pop into their channel one of these days an ask about it I guess.
Old 2007-06-12, 09:24   Link #325
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
Well, I knew about mp3lib breaking the compile before. What I'm saying is that the latest source I downloaded from svn compiles even if I leave mp3lib enabled, and according to terminal it's using mp3lib on files with mp3 audio (tested it out on a few different files since I was kind of surprised).

The D.gray-man thing is the exception though, it's the only thing I tested that gives errors. That's been a problem since the beginning though with all the different audio decoders I've tried. As far as mp3 w/ h.264 goes I thought that was wierd too, but what are you going to do when it's free, heh. VLC plays it fine though, but according to the stream information in VLC the audio is MPGA (but I think that's just a fancy way of saying mp3?). I might pop into their channel one of these days an ask about it I guess.
Ooh, you are correct

Looks like the SVN repository updated the dodgy MP3LIB files 8 and 9 days ago respectively.

Time for another re-encode I guess

*will look into MPlayer OS X as well*
Old 2007-06-14, 14:02   Link #326
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Two things:

1) Nonezumi, as promised, here is the error log that I receive when trying to watch a .avi file. The screen opens as if it'll play, stays green for a second or two, and then closes. There is a slight bit of audio during all of this, and then I get an error message. This is your version of MPlayer, pulled from Tetsuo's link on the first post just a few minutes ago, and run from the .dmg. The version of mPlayer I have installed is from the official site. The "-ass -embeddedfonts -fontconfig -ac mad," have been added in and enabled on your version, but I don't use it on the other version.

Spoiler for MPlayerOSX.log:

Spoiler for Console.log:

It's in the logs, but my processor is a Core2 Duo T7600. Strangely, it will play an MKV with H264 video. It will render subtitles properly! (Finally!) However, I no longer see "Subtitles:Enabled" (or disabled) when toggling them. It's minor, though.

2) Which leads to my next problem: I'm having problems getting subtitles to work with the official MPlayerOSX program. I've used the suggested encoding and font, and while now I can see "Subtitles: Enabled" when I hit v (instead of "???????:?????"), no subtitles show up. These are in an MKV file. I've enabled the subtitles but there are none. They show up properly on the Windows side. VLC displays them, but placement formatting is completely off and multiple subtitles are overlayed on one another, making it useless at times.
Old 2007-06-14, 15:42   Link #327
aloha

after <insert massive amounts of cussing here>

I have found some working settings using this build of andiyar.

My system is a Mac Mini (don't laugh, I'm moving over from windows and needed a tryout system) running 10.4.9

General: Set Font to "none"
Advanced Settings: "-sid 0 -ass"

Using previous pages and some stuff basically got this working

Needed "-sid 0" to get the subtitles to display, couldn't use the keyboard commands for some reason. Also, using anymore than "-ass" would for some reason kill the audio and I couldn't get it back. Either way, this gives me working audio and subtitles right off the bat.
Old 2007-06-14, 18:30   Link #328
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ Ledgem

This assumes that you installed MPlayer into /Applications/

Open Terminal. Type the following:

"cd /Applications/MPlayer\ OSX.app/Contents/Resources/External_Binaries/mplayer_intel.app/Contents/MacOS/ "

Hit enter. Now, type the following:

"mplayer -ass -embeddedfonts -fontconfig -ac mad, "

and then drag and drop the file you're trying to play onto the Terminal window. Hit 'Enter'.

See if that works for you.

Oh, and for what it's worth, here's the output I get trying the same file. PPC, though, but even so:

Spoiler:

-Andiyar
Old 2007-06-14, 19:27   Link #329
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Although I'm slightly comfortable with Linux, you'll have to forgive me as I'm a relative novice with Mac OS. I wasn't aware that there is a terminal by default, how would I open it? Or do I need to download the developer tools to have the terminal?

I'd really just like a solution that works nicely, 100% of the time, ideally without having to do weird things to the settings each time. The MPlayer from the official site plays back almost everything perfectly, but it doesn't show subtitles. The special build shows subtitles (sometimes; after my post, I tried to watch something else, another mkv with subtitles included, and the subtitles wouldn't show) but won't play .avi's. I'm really surprised that the Mac doesn't have even one polished, power media player. MPlayer seems promising, but the last development on it seems to be have a year ago? That's a bit frustrating...

Edit: As Aloha mentioned, adding in the -sid 0 tag now seems to let the subtitles show without a problem. Strangely enough, the subs weren't working on the episode that they had before, but the addition of the -sid 0 seems to have fixed things...

Last edited by Ledgem; 2007-06-14 at 20:00.
Old 2007-06-14, 21:32   Link #330
clicq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Although I'm slightly comfortable with Linux, you'll have to forgive me as I'm a relative novice with Mac OS. I wasn't aware that there is a terminal by default, how would I open it? Or do I need to download the developer tools to have the terminal?

I'd really just like a solution that works nicely, 100% of the time, ideally without having to do weird things to the settings each time. The MPlayer from the official site plays back almost everything perfectly, but it doesn't show subtitles. The special build shows subtitles (sometimes; after my post, I tried to watch something else, another mkv with subtitles included, and the subtitles wouldn't show) but won't play .avi's. I'm really surprised that the Mac doesn't have even one polished, power media player. MPlayer seems promising, but the last development on it seems to be have a year ago? That's a bit frustrating...

Edit: As Aloha mentioned, adding in the -sid 0 tag now seems to let the subtitles show without a problem. Strangely enough, the subs weren't working on the episode that they had before, but the addition of the -sid 0 seems to have fixed things...
You can find the Terminal app in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder. (Alternatively, you can use spotlight to search for it.) Once you start Terminal, you can cd into the application bundle and run mplayer.

Mplayer is in constant development, it's just that there hasn't been a release in awhile. That's probably part of the reason these builds have issues; they're based off very development level code. And it's not an easy task to build versions of mplayer that are distributable; I spent most of an evening compiling a version of mplayer for win32, and it still has dependencies I can't get rid off (grrs to fontconfig!).
Old 2007-06-18, 07:45   Link #331
Nonezumi

Just so you know, I've been trying to work on a newer build of MPlayer for Intel-based macs, but the current SVN builds (which SHOULD remove the need for the MAD MP3 library) flatly refuse to compile on my system at the moment, so I assume something's been updated in MacPorts to cause this.

I may well look into a version which uses an alternative, and see if that makes things any better. Still can't remove the damn dependency on FontConfig either. :/

Also, Bozzy's pointed me to an alternative Front-End for MPlayer which may well make life easier, but that'll require a little investigation given it's not really Mac-specific though it should compile, and will require me to work out how to cross-compile for PPC as well.
Old 2007-06-25, 02:58   Link #332
ShadowXK

I'm Useing MPlayer OS X Version 1.0 rc1 on a intel mac and when i put in the option

Intel additional parameters:
-ass -embeddedfonts -fontconfig -ac mad,

it gives me a " Abnormal playback error. mplayer returned error code: 1"
Old 2007-06-25, 03:28   Link #333
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ ShadowXK

Are you using the official version from Mplayer.hq, or the version posted in the first page of this thread?

-Andiyar
Old 2007-06-29, 01:26   Link #334
MindOnAir
~1000th Summer

I tried playing something on my iBook G4 (OSX 10.4.9) using the universal MPlayer by Andiyar and Nonezumi but when I tried opening it I got this error message:
Spoiler for Console:

Could someone help me out with this? I need to catch up on my RxJ ^^ Thanks
Old 2007-06-29, 04:30   Link #335
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindOnAir View Post
I tried playing something on my iBook G4 (OSX 10.4.9) using the universal MPlayer by Andiyar and Nonezumi but when I tried opening it I got this error message:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib
Referenced from: /Volumes/MPlayer/MPlayer OSX.app/Contents/Resources/External_Binaries/mplayer_ppc.app/Contents/MacOS/mplayer
Reason: image not found
2007-06-28 23:07:30.916 MPlayer OSX[295] Abnormal playback error. mplayer returned error code: 5

Could someone help me out with this? I need to catch up on my RxJ ^^ Thanks
By the look of things, you've not got the most recent X11 binaries installed. Re-check the first post on this thread - you'll need to install the X11 suite from your OS X install discs, and then get the 1.1.3 update from Apple's website. Instructions and locations are all in that thread.
Old 2007-06-29, 04:52   Link #336
Nonezumi

A quick update from my side of things;

I have a newer compiled version of mplayer for Intel Macs, based on the SVN trunk which I'm testing for a few days. Seems stable so far, and doesn't require the MAD MP3 audio any more (so the command switches are the same for both Intel and PPC again).

With respect to the OnScreen Display fonts, this is an issue which will be a little more tricky to cure - the issue is down to the fact that when we use SoftFonts, MPlayer starts expecting font families to be mentioned for the font type. Those of you who just install the Universal binary will not have the folder required which contains the fontconfig conf file, and the version of Fontconfig supplied with OS X is too old for use with MPlayer and Softfonts.

Fontconfig, for the record, is a pain in the next to get compiled outside of MacPorts!

There is a solution, but I shall have a chat to Andiyar about it.
Old 2007-06-29, 17:11   Link #337
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
Man, fontconfig is probably one of the most annoying things I've ever used.

You guys may or may not want to try Perian 1.0, which may or may not add near-complete MKV support to Quicktime, with a subtitle renderer that I may or may not have written!

http://www.perian.org/

Subtitle rendering problems are probably bugs in Quartz/ATSUI, but you can tell me about them anyway. Some files (ex: [sudo]) have slightly-broken fonts, and some (Triad StrikerS) mp4 files have broken audio, but mplayer objects to them too, so I think it's their fault.
Old 2007-06-29, 19:53   Link #338
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr VacBob View Post
Subtitle rendering problems are probably bugs in Quartz/ATSUI, but you can tell me about them anyway. Some files (ex: [sudo]) have slightly-broken fonts, and some (Triad StrikerS) mp4 files have broken audio, but mplayer objects to them too, so I think it's their fault.
Just curious here, what is broken about the [sudo] font?
Old 2007-06-29, 20:11   Link #339
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
The kerning between 'a' and 'n' is wrong and sometimes spaces don't space. Since it breaks the same way in my copy of mplayer, I didn't report it as a bug to Apple, but maybe I should.
Old 2007-06-30, 19:42   Link #340
Nicholi
King of Hosers

More possibly it could be a problem in freetype. I've noticed some weird things happen on certain fonts if you build freetype with the truetype bytecode interpreter. Which is "zomg illegal" to use if you don't have a license to :P. Also without the truetype interpreter the rendering looks much more like how the subs will display in VSFilter, which afaik is what every fansubber uses to gauge what the subs will turn out like. So if thats on you might see some weirdness. However spaces disappearing does sound mysteriously bad .

That font works fine in my copy of mplayer with libass at least. Using freetype 2.3.4 and fontconfig 2.3.2.

Edit: Nm, watched a bit more and noted the missing spaces as well as totally screwed up kerning for a lot more than a and n. This is still likely a problem with the rendering software rather than the font.

Last edited by Nicholi; 2007-06-30 at 20:15.

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate