Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-09-03, 00:00   Link #521
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The Japanese have hardly had the most robust of economies over the past decade or so, yet here they are still running television programs about the excitement of space travel. While we have the occasional Star Trek, shows like those are set so far into the future that they are simply fantasies. What we do not have, at least as I far as I can see, are more realistic shows about actual space flight like this one. But then half our populace chooses magical thinking over science, so that probably limits the appeal of shows like Uchuu Kyoudai.
It's a bit unfair to say this, because Japan has anime, manga and light novels, probably more fantasy entertainment than any other country on the planet. I mean, you're talking about a country that was living in an economic fantasy between 1970s to 1990s. They even had a religious cult full of otaku that executed a terrorist attack with sarin gas because they wanted to bring forth the "end times," as seen in anime such as Space Battleship Yamato.

Japan is not a country that's running on realism, nor does it appreciate it. The reason why a show like Space Brothers is popular is the same reason why One Piece is popular: it's a story about fetching a guy's dream, with heavy emphasis on the odds that are against him. If you look at the show from this angle, its scientific nature is just window dressing.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 00:31   Link #522
leokiko

The theme of the reaching for their dreams is a great one, but hardly any anime can do it correctly. I'm glad Uchuu Kyoudai has gotten recognized.

And talking about One Piece....you gotta love the reference on the episode preview. SANTA CLAUS NI ORE WA NARU! =D
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 01:17   Link #523
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
It's a bit unfair to say this, because Japan has anime, manga and light novels, probably more fantasy entertainment than any other country on the planet.
I'm pretty sure the US has about the same amount, but in the last decade it's shifted decidedly in favor of fantasy over science fiction -- and the SF we do get tends to be more Earth-bound and often set in some grimdark dystopia where 90% of humanity died because of global warming or peak oil.

Japan has its share of dark and gritty sci-fi, too, but it also has tons of bright and shiney stories like Uchuu Kyoudai, Moretsu Pirates and Rocket Girls which you don't find in the US anymore.

(And speaking of Rocket Girls, anyone wonder if Fukada's new job is in the Solomon Islands?)
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 02:31   Link #524
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
And talking about One Piece....you gotta love the reference on the episode preview. SANTA CLAUS NI ORE WA NARU! =D
Nice catch! Totally missed that one.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 11:43   Link #525
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm glad Fukuda found another job so fast. It sounds like a really exciting job, too. It makes me wonder what Kenji is going to do from now on... what was his profession again? I forgot. Anyway, it sucks he has to go. He was a cool character. The bright side of it is that this will enable them to develop the other character more, starting with Teshima next week apparently. I'm curious to learn more about Moziguchi as well. Maybe he isn't as much of a dick as he appears to be at first glance.
Old 2012-09-03, 13:14   Link #526
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm glad Fukuda found another job so fast. It sounds like a really exciting job, too. It makes me wonder what Kenji is going to do from now on... what was his profession again? I forgot. Anyway, it sucks he has to go. He was a cool character. The bright side of it is that this will enable them to develop the other character more, starting with Teshima next week apparently. I'm curious to learn more about Moziguchi as well. Maybe he isn't as much of a dick as he appears to be at first glance.
I wanted to see what Fukuda relationship with his daughter be like now. I did not care for his new job position at all

Gonna miss Kenji too, he was way different out of the group (just like Muta). Hopefully Muta keeps in contact and ask for advice (I'm sure they're buds now).
Old 2012-09-03, 23:26   Link #527
Rahan

I am not too fond of Kenji (far too serious), but his daughter drama feels wasted if he doesn't make it.
Perhaps one of the eights will get injured or quit and he'll take the position. Kape !
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 13:27   Link #528
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Man, Serika is my favorite female in an anime in a long time. I'd love to meet a girl like that irl. I am super giddy for this Houston arc, one episode a week isn't enough!

As for Kenji, meh, he has a wife and kid, he'll be alright....
Old 2012-09-05, 14:45   Link #529
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
Man, Serika is my favorite female in an anime in a long time. I'd love to meet a girl like that irl.
You'd have to make sure to feed her just before bedtime, or that stomach of hers would keep you up all night!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 17:41   Link #530
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Oh, I'd FEED her something alright....

.....I'm sorry....

Last edited by Soconfused; 2012-09-08 at 12:07.
Soconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 23:49   Link #531
Utsuro no Hako

Ah, here I thought we were going to start learning about the other candidates, but turns out they trolled us big time.

I don't know which was funnier, Mutta's hair or Serika with the taiyaki.
Old 2012-09-09, 04:03   Link #532
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
That scene with Mutta Claus and the grumpy girl looking at him while he posed for the picture was the funniest so far.

And i'm glad that...
Spoiler:

Last edited by Goty; 2012-09-09 at 07:50.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 09:36   Link #533
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So Kenji passed after all. They sure did a great job misleading us (and Mutta). I thought it was weird for him to fail when it was hinted early on in the series that Mutta, Serika and Kenji were going to become astronauts.

Teshima's decision was interesting. I thought he hesitated to sign the form because he was scared, not because he was unsure which path to follow. He ended being a rather interesting character.
Old 2012-09-09, 09:41   Link #534
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep23:
Old 2012-09-09, 11:48   Link #535
ookamigirl

Mutta's part-time job was just LOL
It's cool that they decided to send Kenji to Houston too.
The flashbacks were nice.
So was the info about space organisms.
Geez, they still have one final exam... there's just no end to those.
Hibito and Mutta reunited again ^^

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 10:17   Link #536
monir
cho~ kakkoii

In the process of catching up to this series.... I've gotta say that any time I hear Mutta's mother I feel that she will slip up any minute and say, "Gomu Gomu No......"
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 00:34   Link #537
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

This week's opening scene reminded me of the opening of one of my most favorite movies of all time, Bill Forsyth's brilliant Local Hero. It opens in Houston, though most of the story takes place in Scotland. Like in Space Brothers, the radio announcer in the movie represents a foreigner's view of Houston, in this case that of a filmaker from Scotland. Amazingly the entire movie resides on YouTube.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Yes, the Dow Jones really was around 800 in 1983. I don't know what traffic is like today, but I spent some time there around that time, and driving during rush hour was all but impossible. That was the height of the oil boom, and Houston was the center of it all.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 05:11   Link #538
ookamigirl

Apo wake up was just LOL
Hibito learning how to operate machinery..
Mutty mowing lawns... LOL
Those brothers really are the same in certain things.
Things are progressing nicely..

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 07:45   Link #539
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Hibito and Mutta are more alike than I thought.

Mutta's bad luck strikes again. One of his future evaluator is somebody who seemingly bears a grudge against Hibito. How is he going to get out of this one this time...?
Old 2012-09-16, 12:20   Link #540
Utsuro no Hako

Always fun to see what the Japanese think of America. Their take on the Morning Zoo radio show was a bit too nice -- the DJ should've called the kid an idiot and did a lame bit about how you'd get orange juice in your eye. The Western otaku was ... probably spot on, especially the shirt that doesn't say what he thinks it means. Mutta's thoughts about America being a nation of grass was interesting -- and he hasn't even seen the Great Plains.

The one false note was Ozzy's landscaping business, which seems to consist of just him until Mutta joined. There are certainly guys like that, but they generally just do private lawns and maybe some smallish apartment complexes. You're not going to do something the size of the Johnson Space Center with just one riding-mower -- whoever holds that contract probably comes in with half a dozen mowers and extra guys with hedge trimmers and weed wackers.

Tags
science fiction, seinen