AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-25, 23:33   Link #501
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Team A only really tanked the first shot from the StuG and some MG fire from the Type 89. Everything else was near misses.
Looking back, most of the fire they were taking before they got to the bridge was coming from the Type 89 anyway, which, from the sound of it, lacks the firepower to actually hurt them.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 00:00   Link #502
molitar

Ok I didn't think I was going to like this anime but it is not trying to be serious it is a Steve Martin film.. so stupid that it's funny! Painted tanks.. cushions, stuffed animals, toiletries in the tank.. This is as hilarious as any of Steve Martin films like Naked Gun..

Keep the laughs coming!
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 00:33   Link #503
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Quote:
Need a translator to confirm the info supposedly mentioned here, but the two pieces of translated info I read are quite interesting:

- Only tanks made before August 15, 1945 (aka VJ Day) are allowed.
- Completed prototype tanks (with above provision) are allowed, and, at the discretion of the Japan Senshado Federation, anything which was in the planning stages that could be made with parts manufactured before that date.

Does that mean... we can have T29's and the Maus?!?!
Suddenly that mental AU with a character using a T-44 doesn't seem so out there. It means that, within the rules of the competition, we COULD be seeing some very heavy stuff.

/me crosses his fingers in the hopes that a Neubaufahrzeug will show up
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 00:43   Link #504
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
I'm by no means an expert (by no means at all), so please forgive my lack of the proper terminology... The shot from Team C hit the main body of our heroines' tank, in the rear. I've read that the front armor on tanks is generally thicker than the sides, but no mention was made of rear armor. Still, judging by the numbers folks have posted, that's a much more powerful gun than the one Team A is packing.
That's why I said there is plot armor involve. However, the Stug III got hit at what we call ammo rack, so it's understandable why it goes on 1 hit.

It's kinda hard to find a proper interior image of tank, or I just don't know where to find it. Most of my knowledge comes from WoT.
Old 2012-10-26, 00:52   Link #505
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
okay how about cute girls doing cute things with tanks...dose that sound accurate enough?

That way you cover all your bases the tank lovers and the cute girls lovers.
Admittedly I have barely any knowledge about tanks or interest in military history or weapon based details, etc. at all (although I have found the details of some of the more military otaku'ish posters about the tanks to be pretty interesting from time to time), but I can confess to liking the cute girls doing cute things genre - this and "slice of life'y" stuff are to my taste, after all.

Personal taste and preferences aside ftm, though, the series is also only 3 eps in and an anime original, so who knows where the plot will continue to wind itself?

After roughly 3 eps into the season of almost all the offerings this has been the biggest surprise for me. Okay - of course the series is not everyone's cup of tea, but if the pre-order stats are any valid indication, then I am not the only one who found this series unexpectedly enjoyable.
Old 2012-10-26, 01:33   Link #506
garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
Ok I didn't think I was going to like this anime but it is not trying to be serious it is a Steve Martin film.. so stupid that it's funny! Painted tanks.. cushions, stuffed animals, toiletries in the tank.. This is as hilarious as any of Steve Martin films like Naked Gun..

Keep the laughs coming!
hmmm isn't Naked Gun a film by Leslie Nielsen... think your a bit confused by the white hair ^^

steve martin is more : Pink panther , cheaper by the dozen, .... etc
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 02:54   Link #507
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
It's not about the girls, it's about the tanks.
The title is Girls AND Tanks. People should be watching the show for both. well, I do, despite the fact that I talk about the tanks more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
Suddenly that mental AU with a character using a T-44 doesn't seem so out there. It means that, within the rules of the competition, we COULD be seeing some very heavy stuff.

/me crosses his fingers in the hopes that a Neubaufahrzeug will show up
Within the rules of the competition, the Panzer VIII Maus is the heaviest tank you can legally use for Senshado, as it's a working prototype tank completed in 1944, satisfying both requirements. Getting it to work reliably is gonna be a problem of course, and it'll be as slow as molasses, but you should be pretty much invulnerable to most anything used in the period.

Looks like the American T29 series of Heavy tanks don't satisfy the requirements of time unfortunately.

And some more of the rules got translated, I'll just copypaste them here:

Quote:
One of the posted rules is that you are not allowed to hit any human with the cannon. To kill someone like that would disqualify you. You can only disable the tank's body.
Quote:
Oh, and both the ammunition used and the armour plating are regulated. So you can't use some dodgy special ammo that cuts a tank in half and kill everyone. And they might actually have minimum armour standards to ensure safety.
Quote:
The battlefield is out of bounds for 3 days until the match begins. Everyone gets maps and details of the area. If there is a disagreement of the battlefield choice you can object during the first 24 hours to the federation in writing. And they would sort it out.
Quote:
Here are the "Don'ts"
(Feel free to correct me as I am not a REAL translator.)

1.Do not use any tools and materials outside what is regulated.
2. Do not deliberately leave the designated battlefield area.
3. Do not directly fire at people.
4. Do not attack any vehicle that have been disabled.
5. Do not be disrespectful to the umpire or the competitors.
6. Do not throw a match by not trying.
Above rules would disqualify you.

How to lose the battle:
1. When your tank can no longer fight.
2. When the crew decided to surrunder.
3. When the umpire decided your suffered so much damage that you can't can't be allowed to continue.
4. When you broke regulations.

Once your tank is out of the match, you are not allowed to move until the umpire tell you it is over.

Compensation:
Any damage to buildings and roads within the designated battlefield would be restored using compensatory payments handed out by the Tankery federation.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 03:17   Link #508
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Compensation:
Any damage to buildings and roads within the designated battlefield would be restored using compensatory payments handed out by the Tankery federation.

Musashi Senshado Club President:

No, Mei, you are NOT allowed to use demo charges unless I say so.

No do NOT mine the bridge, either!
Old 2012-10-26, 03:33   Link #509
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Looks like the American T29 series of Heavy tanks don't satisfy the requirements of time unfortunately.
The shame. That's one of my favorite tanks .
Old 2012-10-26, 03:53   Link #510
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

The rules came from the giveout images on the official site it appears:

Giveout page.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Also, looks like the American team uses M4A2's, and according to translated info, supposedly the winner of the last Senshado tournament was the Russian team.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 05:16   Link #511
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
One of the posted rules is that you are not allowed to hit any human with the cannon. To kill someone like that would disqualify you. You can only disable the tank's body.
Hmm..I wonder how that's controlled though. Even with specially designed ammunition (rubber bullets?) I'm sure accidents happen, which would seem to suggest that death is certainly very possible in Senshado. Perhaps this is what's bothering Miho.

Also, I find myself very pleased to learn that this series is #1 in pre-orders.

Endless "It's 3:16 am as I post this" Soul
Old 2012-10-26, 05:48   Link #512
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I believe Miho was drown in the tank once before based on her flashback.
Old 2012-10-26, 05:51   Link #513
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I'm sure accidents happen, which would seem to suggest that death is certainly very possible in Senshado.
Given Miho's preference for hanging out of the hatch while under fire, she is begging to become (formerly) living proof of that suggestion.
Old 2012-10-26, 05:52   Link #514
Sumeragi
Banned

Actually, for some reason I think the ammo are paint shells or something of the sort.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 06:11   Link #515
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Actually, for some reason I think the ammo are paint shells or something of the sort.
That shot that Team C hit Team A with actually partially penetrated their armor. That ain't paint.
Old 2012-10-26, 06:40   Link #516
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Paint at sufficient velocity can penetrate...
Old 2012-10-26, 07:05   Link #517
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Paint at sufficient velocity can penetrate...
That armor was made to hold off much harder and heavier things than paint. I'm not saying those are real live rounds that would normally be fired from an AFV of that sort, but they're something tougher than just paint rounds. And whatever they are, if they can penetrate that armor at all a human body would be much too squishy to stop them. Unless there are better safeguards than we've seen, if Miho gets hit while hanging out of that hatch, most of her is going to disappear in a spray of blood and organs.
Old 2012-10-26, 08:25   Link #518
4Tran

Quote:
...Question. Why was Team A able to one-shot each of the opposing tanks, yet survived taking multiple hits themselves? I can accept that a couple of the opposing tanks had lighter guns and armor, but surely that hit from Team C should have taken Team A out, if their own hit against Team C was powerful enough to take them out despite Team C's heavier armor.
We can assume that the hit on the StuG III was scored with a HEAT round. Miho was the loader at the time, so she should have been experienced enough to know that that was the only ammunition that could penetrate the target's armor.

In real life, a hit to the rear turret from a StuG III at close range would take out just about any tank. There's a chance that the round just happened to be a fluke that failed to penetrate. In a mock combat, that kind of fluke should have been ignored, and Team A should have lost right there. Even if the signaling gear failed, Ami was monitoring the exercise, and she should have marked the Pz. IV dead right there. That she didn't suggests that this whole thing was a setup, and the Pz. IV was meant to win.

Or its just a case of bad writing. How was that tactical genius? Or even halfway sensible?

Quote:
I'm by no means an expert (by no means at all), so please forgive my lack of the proper terminology... The shot from Team C hit the main body of our heroines' tank, in the rear. I've read that the front armor on tanks is generally thicker than the sides, but no mention was made of rear armor. Still, judging by the numbers folks have posted, that's a much more powerful gun than the one Team A is packing.
The StuG III gun would have punched right through any part of the Pz. IV's front. The rear is much thinner in comparison.

Quote:
Team A's return shot landed on... well, what I would call the turret, if that thing had a turret, which it doesn't. But it's the upper portion from which the gun protrudes. Perhaps the armor is not as thick at that point? I simply do not know enough.
The part on top of the hull is the superstructure. The StuG III was struck in the front, where the gun mantlet was. This should be the thickest armor on the vehicle, so a HEAT round is the only reasonable possibility.

Regularly, armor-piercing rounds will just have a solid core (usually with a soft cap) that's designed to penetrate armor by hitting at high velocity. HEAT rounds detonate on impact, and eject a stream of molten metal to punch through armor. They don't rely on high-velocity impacts, so they're found in weapons like RPGs and bazookas. A 75mm HEAT round will penetrate up to 100mm of armor.

Quote:
- Completed prototype tanks (with above provision) are allowed, and, at the discretion of the Japan Senshado Federation, anything which was in the planning stages that could be made with parts manufactured before that date.

The Maus is junk anyways. The best German tanks were the Panther and the Tiger I. What this means is that they can field Centurions and IS-3s. Ouch!

I wonder if there's any sort of balancing mechanism in place. If the rules let you use anything without restriction, I certainly wouldn't field any Matildas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I prefer my metallic yet CGI vehicles of combat to be humanoid shaped, so unless one of them transforms, I'm just going to focus my attention on Miho and friends. And maybe try to figure out who's the Koromo of this bunch.
It'll be Katyusha. Not only is she short and child-like, but Oorai will probably take on Pravda second-last. And of course, an IS-2 is as dangerous as you need. And...
Quote:
Also, looks like the American team uses M4A2's, and according to translated info, supposedly the winner of the last Senshado tournament was the Russian team.
...this confirms it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
That's why I said there is plot armor involve. However, the Stug III got hit at what we call ammo rack, so it's understandable why it goes on 1 hit.
A normal 75mm L24 round will do diddly against a StuG III's front armor, regardless of whether it was the ammo rack or not.

Quote:
That armor was made to hold off much harder and heavier things than paint. I'm not saying those are real live rounds that would normally be fired from an AFV of that sort, but they're something tougher than just paint rounds. And whatever they are, if they can penetrate that armor at all a human body would be much too squishy to stop them. Unless there are better safeguards than we've seen, if Miho gets hit while hanging out of that hatch, most of her is going to disappear in a spray of blood and organs.
Logically, the ammunition will have to have the same ballistics performance as their real life counterparts. So they will have the same weight and the same amount of propelling charge. The safety feature may be to make them have way less penetration.

This isn't as hard as it sounds because the British, for example, started the War with ammunition that had problems penetrating the armor on German tanks. A design change later, and they were fine.

This does mean that the sport is potentially dangerous, but Miho's initial reluctance alreadys suggests that.
Old 2012-10-26, 08:54   Link #519
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
I bet it's not the biggest thing we will see. There must be some kind of "Mothership" that can dock over 10 of these city-carriers

.........and in the end anime will zoom out again and reveal that the whole Girls&Panzer world is just an artifact environment on a giant spaceship
Which is a component in an artificial galaxy sized craft....in which hordes of school girls play starship battles Daiteikoku style :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
apples and oranges, you are comparing medium tank armaments to heavy tank frontal armor. in any case its safe to say that based on comparable weight class, german tanks were virtually superior in every way except for maybe reliability
Really now? Every way? I'd say Soviet armour beats them by a bit in pure firepower by weight class. Armour wise....you'd be hard pressed to find anything better protected than an IS-3

German tanks are more like snipers than anything else....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post

I know about the IS-2 armor thickness; I just haven't heard anything about it being easy to penetrate.

There were gunnery tests for the Tiger I and the Tiger II. The Tiger II proved to be easier to penetrate.
There are no doccumented penetrations from the front of Konigstiger in combat....

Kubinka testing range experiment was under repeated test conditions

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2012-10-26 at 09:09.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 09:34   Link #520
PzIVf3

Quote:

Possible Tiger P, Panther F, PzIv auf Einheitsfahrgestell III/IV, T-1/M-6, E-100, ARL 44, A39 Tortoisse and the twin 88 mm Maus.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks