AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-30, 21:46   Link #1821
John117xCortana

Or SCANDAL.
Old 2011-03-30, 21:56   Link #1822
Thess

I dunno. I don't think Magdalena resembles Sheryl. But it's nice to see a Macross project with the girls being of the same age (19 years old, both I think).

This is off topic, but neither of them sing. They are both Valkyrie racers (Chelsea, the silver-haired one, is the main protagonist of The Ride. Magdalena is her Rival).

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-03-30, 22:05   Link #1823
solothurn
銀河妖精親衛隊・隊長

Based from what I've heard, Magdalena has some things similar to Sheryl: pride that can be easily misunderstood as arrogance, coupled with a heart of gold.

Physically? I'd dare say it's the hair: if you just darken the pinkish tint of Sheryl's hair, you'd probably get Magdalena's hair color.

Besides, she's using a SV-51 variant at the time of Frontier (and still kick @ss). How freakin' cool is that?
Old 2011-03-31, 00:24   Link #1824
magnuskn

In which format will Macross: The Ride be? Animated or manga only?
Old 2011-03-31, 00:45   Link #1825
Dash_Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
In which format will Macross: The Ride be? Animated or manga only?
Macross the Ride is a novel, I'm not sure but I think there are already 4 or 5 chapters until now.
I would be really surprised if they animate this or make it the 30 anniversary project, I heard that the novel is getting popular but I'm not sure if Kawamori would like to reuse some things, in this case the setting since the story happens in the Frontier fleet.

Personally I would like something completely new for the next Macross.
Old 2011-03-31, 00:51   Link #1826
magnuskn

Interesting. Can you give a short summary what the story is about? Not that we'll ever see a translation, since it appears that Macross fans are not fanatical enough to translate the Japanese novels, like other anime fandoms do. But I'd still be interested to know what's going on, at least in short summary form.
Old 2011-03-31, 01:12   Link #1827
Dash_Hunter

Quote:
Interesting. Can you give a short summary what the story is about? Not that we'll ever see a translation, since it appears that Macross fans are not fanatical enough to translate the Japanese novels, like other anime fandoms do. But I'd still be interested to know what's going on, at least in short summary form.
Well I'm not really following this because as you pointed there are no translations but what I know is this (If someone want to correct me please do so):

The story is about races with modified Valkyries called "Vanquish Races" and happens in 2058 in the Frontier fleet, the main character is Chelsea Scarlett who is a pilot from Apollo squadron of SMS, her squadron is trying out the VF-19EF Caliburn for SMS and I think she uses a VF-19Active Notung for the races (I'm not sure).
The other main character is Hakuna Aoba who apparently participates in the races with a VF-1 and he's called "The uncrowned King".
Other characters are Magdalena Zielonaska that is a Vanquish racer and pilots a SV-52 and Nicolas Francoise who has a VF-9. About the story itself I really don't know much, I just have seen scans with characters and their valkyries.

I hope that helps, but we really need someone to write a good summary of the story or even translate some chapters
Old 2011-03-31, 01:21   Link #1828
magnuskn

Well, sounds interesting. If it is set on Frontier, I think we can forget about a Sheryl cameo, but Alto and the SMS gang might well be in. I'd expect extensive Bobby showings.
Old 2011-03-31, 07:47   Link #1829
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Interesting. Can you give a short summary what the story is about? Not that we'll ever see a translation, since it appears that Macross fans are not fanatical enough to translate the Japanese novels, like other anime fandoms do.
Yeah, too bad no one's working on anything Macross these days, isn't it?

But come on, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. So when ya gonna get out and push, too?
Old 2011-03-31, 07:52   Link #1830
magnuskn

Right, I always forget about you. Mostly because I am always thinking about the newer works, not to SDFM stuff.

And I don't speak Japanese, like the vast majority of Macross fans outside of Japan. We all rely on people who speak the language. It is simply a bit surprising to me that we get fan translations for stuff like Chrome Shelled Regios or Infinite Stratos, but very few people seem to want to translate a hugely more popular franchise like Macross.
Old 2011-03-31, 08:09   Link #1831
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Right, I always forget about you. Mostly because I am always thinking about the newer works, not to SDFM stuff.
A likely story...

Quote:
And I don't speak Japanese, like the vast majority of Macross fans outside of Japan. We all rely on people who speak the language. It is simply a bit surprising to me that we get fan translations for stuff like Chrome Shelled Regios or Infinite Stratos, but very few people seem to want to translate a hugely more popular franchise like Macross.
I know you don't, but there's always stuff you could do to help instead of complaining about how nobody's doing anything.

As a concrete example, I know MY work on the Misa novel would be sped up considerably if someone (like you, perhaps) bought the book, and used, say the "lookup kanji by radical" function on http://jisho.org to find out how to pronounce difficult vocabulary, which would cut down considerably on the time it takes me to translate.

So. There IS stuff you can do to help out and speed the process along. If you choose NOT to, that's fine. But that also means that you simply want a free ride on someone else's dime and toil.
Old 2011-03-31, 08:27   Link #1832
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
A likely story...
Contrary to what you obviously think, my thoughts don't revolve around you all the time.

Quote:
I know you don't, but there's always stuff you could do to help instead of complaining about how nobody's doing anything.

As a concrete example, I know MY work on the Misa novel would be sped up considerably if someone (like you, perhaps) bought the book, and used, say the "lookup kanji by radical" function on http://jisho.org to find out how to pronounce difficult vocabulary, which would cut down considerably on the time it takes me to translate.

So. There IS stuff you can do to help out and speed the process along. If you choose NOT to, that's fine. But that also means that you simply want a free ride on someone else's dime and toil.
Right, and I pretty shamelessly will admit to being a mooch, like with, y'know, every other anime stuff I have seen in the last decades. Most of us anime fans are. I am very grateful that there are dedicated fansubbers, who do this for fun and some fame. And the lulz, I guess.

I still get to wonder why Macross of all franchises seems to have less fan translations than other pretty inconsequential shows, which have a much more smaller fanbase. When I go on sites like Manga Fox, I find very little Macross stuff ( hm... apparently the main Macross Frontier manga was translated up until chapter six ), and it seems just strange.
Old 2011-03-31, 08:38   Link #1833
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Contrary to what you obviously think, my thoughts don't revolve around you all the time.
I was JOKING, man.

Quote:
Right, and I pretty shamelessly will admit to being a mooch, like with, y'know, every other anime stuff I have seen in the last decades. Most of us anime fans are. I am very grateful that there are dedicated fansubbers, who do this for fun and some fame. And the lulz, I guess.

I still get to wonder why Macross of all franchises seems to have less fan translations than other pretty inconsequential shows, which have a much more smaller fanbase. When I go on sites like Manga Fox, I find very little Macross stuff ( hm... apparently the main Macross Frontier manga was translated up until chapter six ), and it seems just strange.
Can't speak for anyone else obviously, but for me, that moochy attitude is a real motivation-killer.

Everyone's quick to download when it comes out, everyone's quick to criticize if something doesn't meet their expectations, but very few want to help out, even when you ask for it.

But I guess it's a good way to find out who your friends are, isn't it?

So yeah...essentially doing work for people who won't lift a finger to help you really sucks. Especially when they complain about how nothing's getting done.
Old 2011-03-31, 10:18   Link #1834
magnuskn

Quote:
I was JOKING, man.
Who says I wasn't?

Quote:
Can't speak for anyone else obviously, but for me, that moochy attitude is a real motivation-killer.

Everyone's quick to download when it comes out, everyone's quick to criticize if something doesn't meet their expectations, but very few want to help out, even when you ask for it.

But I guess it's a good way to find out who your friends are, isn't it?

So yeah...essentially doing work for people who won't lift a finger to help you really sucks. Especially when they complain about how nothing's getting done.
Yeah, I know being open about such things, instead of just saying nothing like, hm, thousands of other people, and just leeching is not very popular.

If it calms you down somewhat, I am in a real crunch for college related things at the moment and probably for the next half year in its entirety. Probably for another full year after that.
Old 2011-03-31, 10:35   Link #1835
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

I usually distance myself from such novels or manga, unless they are directly related to the story on TV in some-way.

The problem with side-story novels and manga set within an established mecha metaverse is that, they will never be nearly as epic as the TV series, movies, OVAs... etc.

Its a shame really, since The Ride has some promising character-designs. While I am hoping they do something about The Ride other than pages of text, I am not going to bank my hopes on it. Oh well.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-03-31, 12:04   Link #1836
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplataform View Post
last ones:
Spoiler for .:
*Cough Cough* In what hospital is that? I'm afraid I'm feeling quite ill.

And D'AAAAWWW at Sheryl.
Old 2011-03-31, 12:13   Link #1837
magnuskn

And another D'AAAAAW for chibi-Sheryl.
Old 2011-03-31, 13:05   Link #1838
Thess

Thank you, darkplataform!

Is it me or Ranka looks strangely hot in the book cover? She's always been cute, but there looks like grow up and beautiful.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-03-31, 19:38   Link #1839
marce_chany
Rikuo x Tsurara 4 ever!!!

I really like how looks ranka in the that photo
Old 2011-03-31, 22:01   Link #1840
darkplataform

last post, updated

Spoiler for .:

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song