Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-12-12, 18:47   Link #1181
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy View Post
Actually, now that I reread the chapter....

Mustang doesn't have any pupils. Thus, no light can enter his retina.
That could be possible, but traditional anime/manga art style is to show someone is blind by drawing a solid iris. I think it's most likely just the art style, since removing the iris is actually adding flesh.
Old 2009-12-13, 05:34   Link #1182
xellos2099

I got a feeling that Mustang losing his eyesight in the final battle is like a plot device, as Pride said among all the National Alchemist, Mustang got the most troublesome power. I mean come on, Mustang himself basically soloed 2 Homunculus with his own power.

Hohenheim technically could do something for Mustang after the battle is over. Homunculus asked if Ed want to use him to get their body back and then Ed responded he wouldn't use the lives of other for their mistake. In this case, Mustang himself is not at fault for the transmutation, but we dunno how the truth work. It is also weird that Mustang lose both of his eyesight, Ed only lost one arm when he attempted.
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 05:53   Link #1183
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Ed lost his left leg. It's while attaching Al's soul that he lost his right arm. Without a leg he would not be able to stand on his own so he did not have to lose both. You can't stand with only one leg, right? In Mustang case with one eye you can still see.
Old 2009-12-13, 12:07   Link #1184
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I think that Mustang could actually live a good life after all this is said and done, even if he is blind. Now that he's seen the truth he doesn't have to draw out his alchemy circles, still has his subordinates to help him with what is going on in the country, and many blind people seem to get around just fine.
Of course now I'm starting to think that the five alchemists won't get out alive, my money is on Izumi dying (and her husband going down in a fight) and Hoenhiem finally dying as well. And who knows, maybe Mustang's lack of vision will prevent him from being the Futher and Olivier will become top dog instead.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 12:24   Link #1185
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
And who knows, maybe Mustang's lack of vision will prevent him from being the Futher and Olivier will become top dog instead.
Now that would blow Roy's entire storyline. He's a guy that never gives up, and if he doesn't become Furher because of his blindness, it would be entirely out of character for him... He might be able overcome his handicap and become Furher anyways. That's what I'd be counting on if he survives the last arc. What would he do if Olivier becomes Furher inestead? Sit there twiddling his thumbs, feeling sorry for himself like in the first anime? If that happens I'd scream, but since Arakawa-sensei's such a great mangaka, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the case.

And there's also a possibility that Roy might regain his eyesight, although that would be a pretty cheap way to pull things off, IMO.
Old 2009-12-13, 17:06   Link #1186
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

We need a shop'd picture of the Movie-Roy, with 2 eyepatches D:
Old 2009-12-13, 17:14   Link #1187
GaimeGuy

I disagree about having roy regain his sight being "cheap". Sure, it may FEEL weaker because he'll be blind for only a few chapters at most, but on the other hand, it's not like there haven't been similar "bad experiences" used for short-term plot devices (ie: Hawkeye getting injured was kind of meaningless since it didn't lead to human transmutation, but I wouldn't call it cheap or anything like that since it still served to show mustang's growth, to serve as dramatic effect, and to make us all crap our pants for a month :P)

Sure, roy becoming blind may be pointless in hindsight if/when he gets his sight back, but that doesn't mean it was cheap or served no purpose.

All the other sacrifices lost something before we got to know the characters. Izumi was bedridden/sterile and ill by the time we first meet her. Hohenheim's entire story was a hole filled in piece by piece over dozens of chapters throughout the manga, and it was pretty much the only exposure we had to him until the late chapters. Al was a suit of armor and Ed had automail in the beginning of the manga.

All of the others were already "crippled" when they were introduced. Mustang, on the other hand, has been kicking ass and taking names ever since he was first introduced in chapter 4, as a normal, unhandicapped alchemist. He's the only character we get attached to BEFORE we see him in a handicapped condition after losing something from seeing the Truth. So in that respect, Arakawa has allowed us to REALLY experience the "before Truth" and "after Truth" experiences of a character we know and love for the first time with Mustang. With Al, Ed, Izumi, and Hohenheim, our first and pretty much only exposure to them is in their current conditions.
GaimeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 18:04   Link #1188
K_Babyy
Fullmetal Heart

Quote:
I disagree about having roy regain his sight being "cheap". Sure, it may FEEL weaker because he'll be blind for only a few chapters at most, but on the other hand, it's not like there haven't been similar "bad experiences" used for short-term plot devices (ie: Hawkeye getting injured was kind of meaningless since it didn't lead to human transmutation, but I wouldn't call it cheap or anything like that since it still served to show mustang's growth, to serve as dramatic effect, and to make us all crap our pants for a month :P)

Sure, roy becoming blind may be pointless in hindsight if/when he gets his sight back, but that doesn't mean it was cheap or served no purpose.

All the other sacrifices lost something before we got to know the characters. Izumi was bedridden/sterile and ill by the time we first meet her. Hohenheim's entire story was a hole filled in piece by piece over dozens of chapters throughout the manga, and it was pretty much the only exposure we had to him until the late chapters. Al was a suit of armor and Ed had automail in the beginning of the manga.

All of the others were already "crippled" when they were introduced. Mustang, on the other hand, has been kicking ass and taking names ever since he was first introduced in chapter 4, as a normal, unhandicapped alchemist. He's the only character we get attached to BEFORE we see him in a handicapped condition after losing something from seeing the Truth. So in that respect, Arakawa has allowed us to REALLY experience the "before Truth" and "after Truth" experiences of a character we know and love for the first time with Mustang. With Al, Ed, Izumi, and Hohenheim, our first and pretty much only exposure to them is in their current conditions.
Well said, I was thinking the same thing.
Old 2009-12-13, 19:13   Link #1189
Dead Cake

Quote:
I disagree about having roy regain his sight being "cheap".
You have a point there but the thing is that if Roy regains his eyesight right away it feels cheap compared to what Ed and Al have gone throught during their long and painful journey.

Besides the Hawkeye plot twist was not meant to be longlasting tragedy. We all knew that the conclusion would be shown in the next chapter. That isn't the case with the blindness-twist.

And I think that the ending would have more emotional impact if the characters didn't succeed in everything they had hoped for. Arakawa has written such a diverse and exciting story it would be really boring and predictable if in the end everyone were happy.
Dead Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 19:25   Link #1190
Slayerx

One thing i foresee, after Hawkeye reaches mustang and finds out about his condition, and the final battle begins

*Pride gloats or mocks them in some form or way
Hawkeye: "Colonel..."
Mustang: ?
Hawkeye: "2 o'clock, 27 and half feet"
*Mustang grins, claps his hands, snaps and pride burns!
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 21:09   Link #1191
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
One thing i foresee, after Hawkeye reaches mustang and finds out about his condition, and the final battle begins

*Pride gloats or mocks them in some form or way
Hawkeye: "Colonel..."
Mustang: ?
Hawkeye: "2 o'clock, 27 and half feet"
*Mustang grins, claps his hands, snaps and pride burns!
Lol, that's about how I was envisioning it. She was a sniper after all, I'm sure she can give pretty good directions for his aiming.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 21:21   Link #1192
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Lol, that's about how I was envisioning it. She was a sniper after all, I'm sure she can give pretty good directions for his aiming.
That would certainly cement the Royai bond very firmly. That's one of the reasons why I want Roy to stay blind. Not that I want to see him suffer or anything, but it would really further develop his relationships with alot of characters, not only Riza - take Ed, for instance. It really showed that he did care about Roy when he first found out that he was blinded by the Truth. It'll also be interesting to see how he interacts with the rest of his subordinates in the aftermath.
Old 2009-12-13, 21:26   Link #1193
Flask
Homunculus

I'm trying to figure out what'll happen to Greed. I mean, he's still kicking and now it seems almost more appropriate to call him "Hope." That being said, what about the others like Pride and Wrath? Despite all the thing's Wrath has done, he doesn't seem half as far gone as the other Homunculi.

There's still a lot of wild cards at play. But if Roy could somehow receive Wraith's ultimate eye, he could still be capable of being Fuhrer.

However that would be a pretty poor plot device.

To be honest, Roy got a really harsh punishment. Especially against his will. Losing your eyesight is one of the worse things to happen to a soldier, let alone someone set on being the Fuhrer.

Gotta be a catch somewhere..

Last edited by Flask; 2009-12-14 at 16:58. Reason: Fizzmaister pointed out a typo I missed
Flask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 21:40   Link #1194
Jarmel

Here's an interesting but unlikely possibility. Hohenheim possibly(or someone else) able to restore sight in one of Mustang's eyes by moving around some optical nerves.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 21:43   Link #1195
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Here's an interesting but unlikely possibility. Hohenheim possibly(or someone else) able to restore sight in one of Mustang's eyes but moving around some optical nerves.
*remembers when Hohenheim stuck his hand inside Izumi to rearrange her organs*

Eeww...
Old 2009-12-13, 22:46   Link #1196
fizzmaister
The Tall One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flask View Post
what about the others like Pride and Wraith?
Despite all the thing's Wraith has done,
receive Wraith's ultimate eye
Wrath, not Wraith. Wrath is one of the seven deadly sins, essentially an archaic term for anger, but also with a subtext of vengeance. A wraith is an apparition or ghost in the Scottish dialect. Also, a scouting unit for the undead in Warcraft III
Old 2009-12-13, 23:42   Link #1197
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flask View Post
To be honest, Roy got a really harsh punishment. Especially against his will. Losing your eyesight is one of the worse things to happen to a soldier, let alone someone set on being the Fuhrer.

Gotta be a catch somewhere..
the catch is the simple question "does being blind really hold him back from being fuhrer"...

from what i've seen Roy being capable of doing, i would not find it hard to believe that he would be able to lead blind. With Riza's sharp eyes acting as his own, he should be able to command... hell that was part of the point about what i foresaw happening; Riza's got the sharp eyes to judge the exact position of a target and mustang is skilled enough with his alchemy to hit that same spot without even looking if he knows where the it is.... we can bring this to his leadership aswell, someone explains the situation so that he can visualize it and he leads from there... its a handicap to be sure, and it will slow him down as people must explain the situation to him, but i do believe he will manage with his subordinates at his side

Futharmore, we have to ask if Roy will even need to continue being a military star. I mean the whole reason the furher is such a strong military position is because that's what father thought was most convenient. With father, wrath, and wrath's inner circle gone, the government of the country can take a change. Move on to democracy and mustang can take the political route to leadership...

though granted, one problem would be Olivia... afterall she too would be vying for power at this time, and mustang does have to kind of beat her to the punch... not quite sure how he's gonna do that; with or without his eyes

Though all in all, Roy will still feel the sting of a truth's cruelty. Afterall, the point was not to take away his visions for the future of his country, but to prevent him from ever seeing the result.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 00:20   Link #1198
fizzmaister
The Tall One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Futharmore, we have to ask if Roy will even need to continue being a military star. I mean the whole reason the furher is such a strong military position is because that's what father thought was most convenient. With father, wrath, and wrath's inner circle gone, the government of the country can take a change. Move on to democracy and mustang can take the political route to leadership...

though granted, one problem would be Olivia... afterall she too would be vying for power at this time, and mustang does have to kind of beat her to the punch... not quite sure how he's gonna do that; with or without his eyes.
This gives me an idea. Olivier beats Roy to the position of Fuhrer, but without father and the inner council doing whatever it is they keep doing, that form of government fall apart, and Roy or someone else brings democracy to Amestris and Roy is elected as the first president.
Old 2009-12-14, 03:36   Link #1199
GaimeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
That would certainly cement the Royai bond very firmly. That's one of the reasons why I want Roy to stay blind. Not that I want to see him suffer or anything, but it would really further develop his relationships with alot of characters, not only Riza - take Ed, for instance. It really showed that he did care about Roy when he first found out that he was blinded by the Truth. It'll also be interesting to see how he interacts with the rest of his subordinates in the aftermath.
You can see tears welling up in Ed's eye shown in the closeup panel where Ed says "No..."
GaimeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 03:54   Link #1200
Vicious108

I think that's just sweat actually... He had it for almost the entire conversation.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote