AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-07-20, 14:03   Link #1
Aiya Kasai

What is not seen in Anime?

I am making a list of what is normally not done in anime. People acctually make alot of posts about this type of thing on anime forums....complaining that more anime should have this or that.

SO give me examples of things that you think anime should have more of.

My examples (these are examples I took from actual posts):
1.Black people in anime
2.Fat people in anime
3.A anime character who may have a disability.

Also...make sure this is PG-13 rated....xD. I know you normally don't see naked people running around in anime....but...don't put that as an answer. lol

Last edited by Aiya Kasai; 2006-07-20 at 15:20.
Aiya Kasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 14:15   Link #2
Rin-Sama
Banned

Ahem. There is black people in anime. just not as many as white people.

Bowie and Cladia from Robotech just to name a couple.

There are fat people! Or have you never seen the fat nerdy perverted guy in just about every fanservice anime out there. NOTE: there are also some fat girls too. Satsukie from Negima for one.

As for disability, i will admit i haven't seen many of them in anime.
Rin-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 14:18   Link #3
Aiya Kasai

Oh! I know there is black people in anime...but you dun seem them a WHOLE lot. Or they turn out to just be a darker skin toned asian...<.<

And for fat people...I know there are fat people....but there is no real likeable fat people. Except Mario...lol! Even though he's from an Video Game
Old 2006-07-20, 14:19   Link #4
Rin-Sama
Banned

I will agree about the likeable fat people.
Old 2006-07-20, 14:25   Link #5
DaFool
Resident devil

I'd say black women. Black men are getting better represented. Anyway, its still progess since this is Japan after all and they are not obligated to be politically correct for the sake of 'diversity' since they are not diverse after all.

In general they don't really depict ethnicity too well even while portraying, say, Mexican or Chinese characters. Then again, its really hard to not caricaturize, also its hard to draw more detail. Given a circle for a head, three dots for eyes and nose, and a slit for a mouth, that simplest of drawings is Caucasian by default.

Fat women too. There seems to be a few smatterings of fat men represented, although they are otaku caricatures. Girls with big hips and midsize-smallish breasts are a good start at the unBarbiefication of anime girl portrayals (methinks of Hoshizora no Kiseki as the first step to realistic-style moe)

Wheelchair girls...wheelchair gothlolis...hmmm I think I've seen quite a few...

Settings which are in a non-Western, non-Japan, and non-other-planet environment which isn't just a stopover point in some action anime for more violence. There's already America, France, Northern Europe (i.e. settings of Kiki's Delivery Service), Germany (Monster)...

there's progress, Brazil (Jinki: Extend...but its just military installations so doesn't count); Venice,Italy (Aria), Southeast Asia (Black Lagoon). Also Blood+ took place in several exotic places and treated them convincingly enough (i.e. did not overemphasize the exoticness)

Animes starring a pregnant woman. Or a grandfatherly old man.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 14:27   Link #6
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Umm, I would like to see some:

1. Brain over brawn. Yes, this is very atypical... very characteristic of protagonists to go beserk at their own convenience for their "belief" when the antagonists have far superior plans.

2. Human characteristics. Well, what can I say? Rarely do you see the main characters exhibit something akin to selfishness, hubris, or other faults that humans suffer. You only see the "bad guys" do so.

3. Voice Actors who can actually speak fluent foreign language. Well, I've cringed over some of the worst English ever spoken on the face of the planet. Also, they have the tendency to revert back to speaking Japanese in the most impractical and unbelievable means in the storyline.

4. Objective storyline. Well, instead of dividing between good and evil, they should do more them and us. the antagonists are not really the "bad guys" but are people with different perspective on the matter.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 14:27   Link #7
Rin-Sama
Banned

oh i got one!

Non-perverted old men!
Old 2006-07-20, 15:07   Link #8
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Send a message via MSN to Toxic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiya Kasai
I know you normally don't see naked people running around in anime
Lies!

Anyway, I have to agree with AvianWing. Brains over brawns. And the voice actor thing. God, that's annoying.
Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 15:39   Link #9
marcelmarc

You don't see characters with acne ^^
marcelmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 16:01   Link #10
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Main characters that aren't white/asian is extremely rare
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 18:56   Link #11
Aiya Kasai

Yeah...I haven't seen many anime characters with acne...and I haven't seen a non-asian main character O_O.
Old 2006-07-20, 19:14   Link #12
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiya Kasai
Yeah...I haven't seen many anime characters with acne...and I haven't seen a non-asian main character O_O.
Gunslinger Girl. Both main characters are Italian.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 21:12   Link #13
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
i for one have yet to see a main chara that actually deserves his own harem they are mainly talentless and have nothing to offer but girls seem to swarm around them like bees over honey -.-

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 21:54   Link #14
Spooky-Electric

How about characters that are just slightly out-of-shape?

It's always either skinny or fat/muscular, nothing in between.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 22:05   Link #15
Aiya Kasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
i for one have yet to see a main chara that actually deserves his own harem they are mainly talentless and have nothing to offer but girls seem to swarm around them like bees over honey -.-
I agree....lol! I mean I can see if a few girls like this one guy...but EVERYONE loves him.

Like he's the only man alive or something...haha
Old 2006-07-20, 23:09   Link #16
Anime Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz

Well, think of it this way, harem anime offers hope to hopeless guys who seek to identify themselves with characters such as Keitaro (Love Hina). It's a popular fantasy: being a chick magnet despite the odds.

Then again, what fun is there in the harem anime if the main character is rich, witty, sauve and possess the well-oiled body of a beach hunk? People would yell, "Of course chicks are attracted to this guy, duh!"

People like stories where the main character succeeds against everything thrown at him/her. It's the appeal of rooting for the underdog.

It would be interesting to have a harem anime where the main character is physically attractive, strong-willed and have a good character that actually deserves the harem members. Perhaps in a reverse harem, where many guys fight over a girl scenerio?
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 23:10   Link #17
Cardiac Glycoside

Poor people in modern/futuristic series. Characters always seem to have nice places and all the best gadgets....
Old 2006-07-21, 00:33   Link #18
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing
1. Brain over brawn. Yes, this is very atypical... very characteristic of protagonists to go beserk at their own convenience for their "belief" when the antagonists have far superior plans.
Naturally, since you mention "berserking," anime that are more about the action and explosions usually wouldn't star "brain over brawn" protagonists. However, they do exist in other types of anime.

For example, Lupin fits this category easily. In fact, his fellow teamates can easily beat him in a fight, and yet they really couldn't even if they tried. Still, he has his own range of skills and talents to back up his head. There's also detective anime. Mei Tantei Conan and Tantei Gakuen Q are two titles I can name from the top of my head that feature main characters who rely on their brains more than their muscles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online
Perhaps in a reverse harem, where many guys fight over a girl scenerio?
I'm pretty sure that has been done to death in shoujo anime/manga already.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 07:49   Link #19
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
Perhaps in a reverse harem, where many guys fight over a girl scenerio?
This is the standard in many, and I believe most, romance anime, live-action drama, movies, Harlequin novels, etc. etc., as well as, real life.

The average decent-looking young girl has had more boyfriends than the number of years of her age.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 08:32   Link #20
gknight
shounen ai

Send a message via ICQ to gknight Send a message via MSN to gknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing
2. Human characteristics. Well, what can I say? Rarely do you see the main characters exhibit something akin to selfishness, hubris, or other faults that humans suffer. You only see the "bad guys" do so.
watch maybe Evangelion and definitely Utena.
gknight is offline   Reply With Quote