Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-04-16, 04:16   Link #181
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I think the problem is that Mamika is drawn in a style that doesn't remind me of said shows
she looks like someone from a bishoujo anime instead of a sunday morning show
and I guess that's this maybe the the flaw of this show. For a "crossover" story it seems everyone is drawn by the same person, so far?

she's also very pink which draws unfortunate comparisons to Madoka
Her body might look a little too "grown up" for a young/little girl, but if you discount her legs a little, I think she won't be out of place if you put her among other pink mahou shoujo (MS) leads in lighthearted shows that she's supposed to represent:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Also, the pink color for MS MC is not popularized or defined by Madoka. There are already popular pink MS leads out there (see above and below). One of them is freakin' Sakura because her name alone already spelled out her primary color to the audience :
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
why are the magical girl and Selesia fighting again? I don't get it?

The former was displaying her transformation then BAAMMMM??????
AFAIK Mamika was on the miltary-twintails' side and she wanted to recruit Selestia to her side. The negotiation went south and Mamika tried to conquer Selestia with the power of LOVE MAGIC! that's not supposed to be that destructive from Mamika's POV.
Old 2017-04-16, 04:25   Link #182
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Because Mamika was trying to persuade Selesia to see things her way, through force. In a magical girl world that works just fine because nobody really gets hurt and there is no collateral damage. There's not even any pain. From her point of view that's just how you get someone to change their mind.
Yeah, but that sort of thing you can infer from genre tropes that apply to some Magical Girl shows. But if you have never seen one show it would just been like, huh? Moreover we don't really know anything about why Mamika herself did that, especially over an argument. So it comes off as a bit weird.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 04:27   Link #183
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Her body might look a little too "grown up" for a young/little girl, but if you discount her legs a little, I think she won't be out of place if you put her among other pink mahou shoujo (MS) leads in lighthearted shows that she's supposed to represent:
If I had to nitpick one, it would be her face. Particularly her eyes.

Quote:
Also, the pink color for MS MC is not popularized or defined by Madoka. There are already popular pink MS leads out there (see above and below). One of them is freakin' Sakura because her name alone already spelled out her primary color to the audience :
Well. it's the oufit.. and the hair color.. and the hair style... and that name... At least that's my personal reaction of it.
when I think of CCS I think of that hat.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 04:29   Link #184
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
If I had to nitpick one, it would be her face. Particularly her eyes.
Yeah, that too I guess. The chara-designer's style might be a bit too grown-up to portray kiddy MS leads.
Old 2017-04-16, 04:58   Link #185
magnuskn

So far, this is my favorite show of this season. Such an interesting premise, it'll be very entertaining to see where it goes. And since the show has two cours, it will have the necessary room for the story to breathe. Ganbatte!
Old 2017-04-16, 07:15   Link #186
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yes, you still have Pretty Cure and the odd very child-friendly magical girl show. But my impression is that darker-toned magical girl shows have been the more prominent and numerous ones since 2011, including Madoka Magica, Symphogear, Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou, Yuuki Yuuna, Prisma Illya, and Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku, among others.

It saddens me a little that Re:Creators' magical girl character may in fact give some viewers a mostly wrong impression of what modern magical girl shows are like.
Quote:
Look, I'm a mahou shoujo subgenre fan. Of course I'm not going to be happy with a representation of that genre which I sincerely feel is a considerable misrepresentation of what that subgenre has evolved into. Any seasoned anime fan ought to be able to understand where I'm coming from here, especially if you've actually seen some or all of the recent mahou shoujo shows that I mentioned before.
The disconnect here is, you mingle the genre of (late night) magical girl anime for otaku (or how you called it, "seasoned anime fan") ever since Urobuchi took centre stage with the genre of (daytime) magical girl anime for children. These are two very different things. Therefore, your view of what magical girl anime nowadays is, is hardly representative of the reality in Japan in which, as DmonHiro has already said, the magical girl anime for children reach a far wider audience than the anime you have listed, which mostly are niche products. And indeed, the people reacting to Mamika were children. This is not the audience for your darker themed magical girl anime. Or would you show a, what, 8 year old, Mahoiku?
Old 2017-04-16, 07:38   Link #187
outlaw97

Now I can see why Kinoko Nasu of Fate/Stay Night fame would be interested in this series - it's an interesting thought experiment, and with more than 1 season hopefully it'll explore some of the implications of "fictional" worlds colliding with the "real" one.

I also see why some people were apt to draw comparisons to Fate/Stay Night or Zero, but to me this is actually more interesting because the Type-Moon Universe already has magic and the supernatural established as its world setting, so things like superpowers are not out of place. Re:Creators' world seems to be grounded in reality, and how much power the characters carry over from their original world has yet to be determined.

Finding out that you exist purely for the entertainment of a higher being, suddenly being able to question, or even fight your creator, and creators taking responsibility for their worlds, is a premise I haven't seen in recent memory. I can already imagine the characters from Gen Urobuchi's stories coming to him and sayin, "Yo, lighten up!"

Triple_R - adding to what others said, yes the mahou shoujo genre has evolved in certain aspects, but realize that you're the 1% - in Japan, Precure is still the golden standard. And from a story-telling perspective, it just wouldn't be interesting to bring a hardened, gritty magical girl in - not much room for character growth. If it makes you feel any better, they haven't established why these particular characters were brought in, so maybe her world is from one of the old school mahou shoujo series.
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 08:26   Link #188
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
But my impression is that darker-toned magical girl shows have been the more prominent and numerous ones since 2011.
And you're wrong about this again. The reason you think dark mahou shoujo have been more numerous and prominent is because Precure, Akiatsu and PriPara HAVE NOT STOPPED. They have been airing continuisly since their creation. Precure has been running each year, all year, EVERY year since 2004. PriPara has been airing since 2014, but its direct predecesors, Pretty Rhythm started in 2011. Aikatsu started in 2012.

So no, dark mahou shoujo anime is not more prominent. Not by a long shot.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 08:53   Link #189
desrtsku
Nympholept

I love how Mamika's magical sound effects are so cute and soft compared to the rest of the world. Not a sarcasm, by the way.
Old 2017-04-16, 09:05   Link #190
DmonHiro

I noticed that as well. The sound where she was charging her flare attack was a cute "pop" in the background.
Old 2017-04-16, 09:39   Link #191
Galaxian

I liked episode 2 a bit more than the first one. Sure it had a huge infodump, but my problem in the first episode is all the questions I had, so this let me enjoy it more.

The "this isn't how it works in my world" is an interesting dilemma. I hope it's comes up again later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0m@n View Post
Hmm. I guess it's a mix of several existing characters. When I heard that he's a 'last boss' and a 'rival of MC' while using that ability of his, the one who came to my mind is DIO from JoJo(but DIO was only the final boss for 2 of the story arcs). But their personality and design are different. Perhaps someone from PERSONA series then?
Persona final bosses are not human rivals, they are usually gods. Though there is a human character that you fight towards the end.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 09:47   Link #192
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
I love how Mamika's magical sound effects are so cute and soft compared to the rest of the world. Not a sarcasm, by the way.
Well, they are both literal and lethal heart bombs now. It adds a nice fun dark juxtaposition to kiddie, looking magic.

In an ironic meta twist coming to this world Mamika has become a Madoka style magical girl. That's rather fitting for this series.

On similar topic, it's weird how Selesia hasn't brought up her mech. Did it really get destroyed?
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 09:50   Link #193
DmonHiro

It probably did but I think she's going to get it back eventually. I mean, she's underpowered right now. Everyone else can access all their abilities.
Old 2017-04-16, 10:06   Link #194
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Yeah, I thought that too, hence me saying she could be a past creation of his
She could be a future creation...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 10:09   Link #195
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
She could be a future creation...
Yeah, that too, right? Gotta wait and see
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 10:57   Link #196
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Also, the pink color for MS MC is not popularized or defined by Madoka. There are already popular pink MS leads out there
There's a good reason for that. Pink is regarded the "primary" colour for magical girl teams, like red is for sentai. It's usually assigned to the leader, or "heart," of a magical girl team. Madoka was just following genre conventions.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 11:03   Link #197
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
There's a good reason for that. Pink is regarded the "primary" colour for magical girl teams, like red is for sentai. It's usually assigned to the leader, or "heart," of a magical girl team. Madoka was just following genre conventions.
Ironically, Sailormoon uses Gundam-color (red-white-blue-yellow) instead of Pink .
Old 2017-04-16, 11:06   Link #198
RDNexus

Because her outfit is inspired by traditional Sailor School Uniforms, that's why
Old 2017-04-16, 11:21   Link #199
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Your opinion is wrong.
No, it's not. You listed three counter-examples, at least one of which is much more of an idol anime than a mahou shoujo anime if it's a mahou shoujo anime at all.

And darker-toned magical girl shows are more numerous these days, in sheer number of shows. Sheer quantity and creative trends do play a role in determining what's most standard and prominent. And we shouldn't forget that Re:Creators' own target-audience is more teens/adults than young children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
The disconnect here is, you mingle the genre of (late night) magical girl anime for otaku (or how you called it, "seasoned anime fan") ever since Urobuchi took centre stage with the genre of (daytime) magical girl anime for children. These are two very different things.
Madoka Magica was very much informed by magical girl anime in general, including magical girl anime aimed at kids. You're overstating the in-genre division here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw97 View Post

Triple_R - adding to what others said, yes the mahou shoujo genre has evolved in certain aspects, but realize that you're the 1% - in Japan, Precure is still the golden standard.
Madoka Magica is very popular and well-known throughout the wider anime fandom.

Quote:
And from a story-telling perspective, it just wouldn't be interesting to bring a hardened, gritty magical girl in - not much room for character growth.
I strongly disagree. There's plenty of character development you could have had with this type of magical girl. She could have learned about how much people love her show and find it deeply inspirational, and this could cause her to develop away from being hardened and gritty. They definitely could have told a very good and interesting story with a Kaname Madoka-type of magical girl character.

Also, Mamika's anger against her creator... It seems kinda silly to me for a girl in a very idealistic PreCure type of show to feel such "I won't forgive him!" anger towards her creator (and, I should add, it certainly doesn't make Mamika likeable to me). If Mamika arises from a PreCure-type show, she has more to be thankful for than angry about. Mamika's anger at her creator would make far more sense, in my view, if she was more like Kaname Madoka coming from a Madoka Magica-like world.

Quote:
To me Mamika looks like something from a Bishoujo Light Novel
but according to in story lore she's from a kid's show
so that, to me, looks wrong
Good point. Character design also plays into why I was hoping that Mamika would be more like Kaname Madoka than a PreCure lead girl. Her character design seems rather mature and adult fan-focused for a PreCure lead girl, in my opinion.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2017-04-16 at 11:35.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 11:32   Link #200
RDNexus

Are you seriously trying to think like a Japanese Anime Fan? Well, I don't think so, and that could be a nice mistake.
Because I believe that's required for us to understand why were those kinds of characters chosen for this story.

And design-wise, I'm pretty sure they didn't want to spend copious amounts of money on different artists for each character.

Tags
fantasy, mahou shoujo, mecha, sci-fi, summoning