AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-03-27, 22:08   Link #601
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Clue was such an awesome movie. I remember it VERY well from the 80's growing up. I didn't realize they had different endings shown at the theatre unlike the VHS's splice job. Man now I really need to pick up the DVD.

Man I hope they hurry up and sub the last two episodes. I'm so far behind
Old 2006-03-27, 22:27   Link #602
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy
Something that forces you to look for a silver lining through intellectualization is not that good in the first place. There is nothing that has "no merit whatsoever," not even the worst historical atrocities, but if the bad outweighs the good, it is net bad.
Then it's a good thing that the good outweighs the bad in Canvas 2! And see, we're right back to where we started... I don't have to force myself at all... is it because I'm an optimist? A contrived ending simply doesn't kill the whole show for me, whereas it does for you. I guess that's all there is to it.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 22:33   Link #603
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

For me it mostly means I may pick an earlier episode to just stop watching if I rewatch. Unfortunately, most series don't offer such clean breaks.
Old 2006-03-27, 22:44   Link #604
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Then it's a good thing that the good outweighs the bad in Canvas 2! And see, we're right back to where we started... I don't have to force myself at all... is it because I'm an optimist? A contrived ending simply doesn't kill the whole show for me, whereas it does for you. I guess that's all there is to it.
Nope, the bad outweighs the good in the finale, which is one of the most important parts of any show. Given that the finale has more weight than any other episode, and that it sucked badly, Canvas2's scale went from WIN to FAIL all in episode 24. If the studio decides to put out a good alternate ending next week, then the show can still be saved.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 22:50   Link #605
MonkeyBrains
It's what's for dinner

Heh heh. Speaking of which, I asked this before, but it'll probably get lost cause the page cycled to a new one - can someone, please give me an example of an anime series where they actually did something like people have suggested, about this series and Shuffle (and probably KGNE too), regarding alternate endings. Seriously, how realistic is that? Has an anime series (based on an ero-game or not) ever done something like that before, having alternate endings (I'm not counting redoings of the whole series, like Kanon or the endless Tenchi iterations, just endings)?

I can actually think of one, but it ain't no ero-game. Evangelion. Although in a sense the movie was more like an extended ending rather than an alternate ending. Well, maybe a bit of both, really. But seriously, have they ever done anything remotely like that for another anime, particularly in this genre? Somebody's probably more familiar with this genre and could say (I'm looking at you, relentlessflame... )
MonkeyBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 22:56   Link #606
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBrains
Heh heh. Speaking of which, I asked this before, but it'll probably get lost cause the page cycled to a new one - can someone, please give me an example of an anime series where they actually did something like people have suggested, about this series and Shuffle (and probably KGNE too), regarding alternate endings. Seriously, how realistic is that? Has an anime series (based on an ero-game or not) ever done something like that before, having alternate endings (I'm not counting redoings of the whole series, like Kanon or the endless Tenchi iterations, just endings)?

I can actually think of one, but it ain't no ero-game. Evangelion. Although in a sense the movie was more like an extended ending rather than an alternate ending. Well, maybe a bit of both, really. But seriously, have they ever done anything remotely like that for another anime, particularly in this genre? Somebody's probably more familiar with this genre and could say (I'm looking at you, relentlessflame... )
KGNE got an extended ending on the DVD (according to someone earlier).

Other than that, never. Though one of the 12 minute episode series (I think it was Wind) had a few extra episodes inserted through the DVD's, those were prepared in advance and intended to be integral to the plot.

So you can hold your breath for it, but don't blame me when you pass out.

EDIT: I actually can't comment on the Evangelion thing one way or the other (I've never seen it), but I thought that the movie was sort of an alternate ending that the director of the series basically said he was forced to do. If that was the case then I would actually think that's worse than being stuck with an ending I don't like.
Old 2006-03-28, 00:17   Link #607
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
So you can hold your breath for it, but don't blame me when you pass out.
Haha... yup, pretty much Unless it was in the plan all along (and everyone knew about it), having an alternate ending (especially if he were to pick a different girl) would pretty much be putting your writers and series planners to shame. Granted that if there's money in it (as was the case for Eva), nothing's impossible (though, interestingly enough, as rooboy666 alluded to, they still insist that the TV end was as intended, despite the conceded lack of time). But with a show like this, I think they're just hoping to get their money back through merchandise sales - I just don't think there's enough money there to "take back" an ending and re-do it "properly" (though minor touch-ups are always possible). I think that, story-wise, what's done is done.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 00:29   Link #608
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Spoiler:

Oh well, I won't know until the other 2 subs come out.
I didn't delete Shuffle, I'm certainly not going to delete Canvas either
Old 2006-03-28, 01:35   Link #609
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Spoiler:

Oh well, I won't know until the other 2 subs come out.
I didn't delete Shuffle, I'm certainly not going to delete Canvas either
Spoiler:
Old 2006-03-28, 01:37   Link #610
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Same here... I keep Shuffle! for the same reason I keep Negima around ... there *are* few episodes worth rewatching in each ... and Canvas 2 is still mighty entertaining and I'll watch 23/24 before really getting grumpy
Perhaps I'll just splice together a series I'll call The Adventures of Hagino and Tomoko....
Spoiler:
Old 2006-03-28, 01:41   Link #611
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I have to say that this single episode has spawned more discussion than the entire rest of the season. Which I find very amusing.
Old 2006-03-28, 02:22   Link #612
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

What do you mean? It was the same for the fabled Shuffle episodes, although Shuffle had debatable (crappy) episodes in succession At least, if that's the case with Canvas, there's only ONE

Well, I can see the Shuffle feedback having an effect (though not the effect I was hoping for). The writers knew that if they wanted to screw up, they must wait until the final episode instead of putting up with legions of unsatisfied viewers for 4 whole episodes Although in Shuffle's case it wasn't a "why this ending?" but more like "that's how they resolved that??" Other than that, Shuffle didn't have any more flaws (except the crappy ep 24 animation and the winning couple of backstabbing traitors with no sense of shame).

So Yes! The writers can be taught Now someone needs to teach them right.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-03-28, 06:54   Link #613
MonkeyBrains
It's what's for dinner

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited by MonkeyBrains; 2006-03-28 at 07:38.
Old 2006-03-28, 08:02   Link #614
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBrains
Hmmm... A red herring...

On another topic...
Some people have ranted about showing an alternate ending or something on DVD. It's been brought up about Shuffle. Seriously, how realistic is that? Has an anime series (based on an ero-game or not) ever done something like that before, having alternate endings? I'm not that hip to the multitudes of anime out there. Can't even think of any American stuff that does.

Seriously, though, considering they left so much to the last episode of this series, in theory, this would be the series to do it...
I only know of two attempts at "alternate endings" for anime titles, though it's more like alternate storylines.

One is the first Memories Off OAV, where the lead hero (who starts of as a guy who's girlfriend just passed away and is trying to get over her death) ends up with one of 3 possible girls (in each of the 3 episodes). I emphasize alternate storylines because each episode could stand alone from each other, with only the lead hero, the deceased girlfriend, and the hero's childhood friend (who the hero ends up with in the first episode, whereas she's a supporting bystander in the other two eps) as common characters.

The other is the two episode hentai Class Reunion Again, which shares the same cast and effectively the same setting as the 4 ep OAV Yesterday Once More (in CRA the lead hero ends up with one of two girls - the popular girl in the first ep, or the childhood friend in the 2nd ep) but the way I see it, CRA seems a bit too alternate from YOM and their storylines don't really connect that much, and the two eps of CRA are also standalone from each other.

Admittedly, I think a similar stint could be applicable to Canvas2 (make an alternate ending(s), but not as a strict sequel - more like an altenate storyline that can stand alone). Hmm, how about a
Spoiler:
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 08:22   Link #615
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Spoiler:

Edit: Me and my tendency to rush. I had to edit stuff again...
Old 2006-03-28, 11:13   Link #616
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Ya I wasn't happy at all with how Hiroki and Kiri reacted and responded to Yanagi in the earlier episodes. They brushed off all that pain a little too easily if you ask me, where as Elis's response I thought was far more fitting. I also got the vibe that she picked up on the painting of Kiri "done by Yanagi" was actually a Hiroki composition to begin with. And when Yanagi tried to tell her how to make her painting better in the art club, she shook her head and said Hikori told her Aquamarine would be better. IMO, Hikori was flat in far too many episodes with moments like this, and Elis had to pick up the slack. This is why seeing her get what she wanted most, will make me overlook some of the issues I can see the last episode having.
Old 2006-03-28, 14:37   Link #617
manly_madonna

Spoiler:

All in all, Canvas 2 was a great anime to watch and the ending itself had closure for the main characters. Actually, for characters all around really. For anyone reading this to see if C2 is worth watching, I say yes. Filled with scenes that's garunteed to make you smile and leave you feeling warm and fuzzy. Especially the scenes with chibi-Elis in them. She's just so damn, adorable! A harem-isque romance plot, minus the cliche spineless, whiney male protagonist, C2 may not be a 10, but its a high 7 IMHO.
manly_madonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 14:38   Link #618
dan88

Send a message via MSN to dan88
The alternative ending for the any OVA needs to be Hagino and Hiroki getting together!

Quote:
Spoiler:
....in high school Hiroki and Yanagi drew the same picture so you are saying they were ment to be together! No wonder he turned down Kiri the first time!

Now that would have been a surprising ending!

....actually the more I think about it the more sense it makes! Hiroki is Gay!
I don't think I want them to release an alternative ending after all!
dan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 14:58   Link #619
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan88
The alternative ending for the any OVA needs to be Hagino and Hiroki getting together!
Or any other for that matter, but Hagino has priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan88
....in high school Hiroki and Yanagi drew the same picture so you are saying they were ment to be together! No wonder he turned down Kiri the first time!

Now that would have been a surprising ending!

....actually the more I think about it the more sense it makes! Hiroki is Gay!
I don't think I want them to release an alternative ending after all!
I've had that idea before It makes sense.
Old 2006-03-28, 17:03   Link #620
MonkeyBrains
It's what's for dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by manly_madonna
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Well, it's a couple days later, and I think everyone's moved on. It's been a wild ride.

Tags
bishoujo, drama, eroge, f&c, kadokawa, romance, school life, seinen, slice of life, zexcs