AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-12-24, 18:12   Link #101
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
We see intelligent life (humans), and it's the only intelligent life we see. But we don't say humans are the only intelligent beings in the universe. We just say they're the only intelligent life we know of, but don't discount the existence of other intelligent beings.

We see organic life (carbon-based, requires water), and it's the only life we see. But apparently, we do say it's the only life in the universe. We don't seem to say that it's the only life we know of (going by what you are saying), and discount the possibility of life that doesn't use carbon or water.
Old 2010-12-24, 18:55   Link #102
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
We see intelligent life (humans), and it's the only intelligent life we see. But we don't say humans are the only intelligent beings in the universe. We just say they're the only intelligent life we know of, but don't discount the existence of other intelligent beings.

We see organic life (carbon-based, requires water), and it's the only life we see. But apparently, we do say it's the only life in the universe. We don't seem to say that it's the only life we know of (going by what you are saying), and discount the possibility of life that doesn't use carbon or water.
You're comparing different things there.

We may not say we're the only intelligent life in the universe, but we do have criteria of what makes one an intelligent life.
Similarly, we may not say we're the only living beings, but we do have criteria of what makes one a living being.

But my point is that those criteria may be subject to change given additional evidence.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 21:23   Link #103
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Humans are the only being in the planet that goes beyond their "suppose to be natural way of living". We not only cook our food, we even categorized them as dessert, main course etc, even though we all agree they end up in the toilet...... hehehe
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 21:58   Link #104
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
their is a chemical substance that blows up when it comes in contact with oxygen, yet it has a distinctive smell. (the chemistry teacher failed to answer the question "how can you smell it if it blows up right away?")
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 03:06   Link #105
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
^
Don't forget this.

Australia: Where men take their barbecue seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post
Hey! We British blokes take BBQing seriously over here too! Just that sometimes you're outside on your own with an umbrella while everyone else is inside waiting....
Since Australia used to be a colony of the Britannian Empire, I am not surprised if they share cultures. Including the barbecue ones - those Australians and British are crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
But my point is that those criteria may be subject to change given additional evidence.
If you change the criteria, you change its definition. Unless there is a hardcore reason to do so, definitions always remain the same.

Otherwise, how do we construct hypotheses?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 03:59   Link #106
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Diet coke doesn't really help you diet, it just makes things worst as it causes a spike in insulin levels, which causes more calories to be stored in the cells, including fat cells. Because insulin eats blood sugar, this also causes temporary hypoglycemia, which will lead to a craving for sugary food to restore the balance. Hence, the overall effect of diet soda is a tendency toward weight gain, not loss. Also diet coke only works in diabetic diets.

So if your out at a fastfood joint, skip the diet coke and order a regular cola. Unless your diabetic.
Old 2010-12-26, 05:07   Link #107
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
about BBQ...
Russians are so wicked and hardcore that they barbeque right outside their 20 storie apartment building on a 4x6 piece of land that has grass. thats usually between the sidewalk and the building. i've seen it. its weird even by russian standards...
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 05:29   Link #108
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Diet coke doesn't really help you diet, it just makes things worst as it causes a spike in insulin levels, which causes more calories to be stored in the cells, including fat cells. Because insulin eats blood sugar, this also causes temporary hypoglycemia, which will lead to a craving for sugary food to restore the balance. Hence, the overall effect of diet soda is a tendency toward weight gain, not loss. Also diet coke only works in diabetic diets.

So if your out at a fastfood joint, skip the diet coke and order a regular cola. Unless your diabetic.
This sounds suspicious to me. Where did you get this from?
Old 2010-12-26, 06:35   Link #109
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
TV Tropes.
Old 2010-12-26, 09:30   Link #110
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
PM Meo. He's a doc.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-12-26, 09:43   Link #111
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So ok anyway.

Majority of insulin regulation is reactive to the relative levels of glucose in the blood, up regulated with an increase of blood glucose and down regulated with decrease in blood glucose, dependent on the amount of glucose relatively detected by beta cells on the Islets of Langerhans in the Pancreas.

The problem with sweeteners is that (according to research) they also induce the secretion on insulin by binding to the same cell membrane receptor (supposedly) as glucose, however without the caloric compensation of sugar since they don't provide substrate for cellular metabolism. What you end up with is a relative hypoglycemic state since your fats, muscles and liver take in your glucose without having remaining glucose to normalize blood levels. Because of this, not only do you increase fatty acid production, you also get hungry because you have to compensate the sugars lost from your blood.

So yes, you get a fat ass with a fatty liver while feeling tired and hungry at the same time. Sweeteners ironically become appetite enhancers because you aren't satiated, which sort of fuels the vicious cycle of eating more and more.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 11:02   Link #112
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Drop a tarnished coin into a glass of Coke, and leave it to stand overnight. You'll find the coin bright, shiny and new the next morning!

I made that up. But I'm sure it made you want to try and see if it works, no?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 11:19   Link #113
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Drop a tarnished coin into a glass of Coke, and leave it to stand overnight. You'll find the coin bright, shiny and new the next morning!

You got me all excited

ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 11:45   Link #114
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Well...

You don't have to take my word for it. Basic knowledge of chemistry suggests it's possible. Just make sure someone doesn't drink the Coke by mistake.
Old 2010-12-26, 13:18   Link #115
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

Coke does remove rust stains in the bathtub, but actually it doesn't work well on coins ; you would have better luck with Brasso.

Nickel and aluminium plated coins form a layer of oxide outside of them when tarnished, and the surface is VERY inert to chemical reactions. You have to use a properly concentrated (usually undiluted) and strong reducing agent, usually something containing iron or hydride ions.

As for the video, the coin is copper plated if I am not wrong. Copper-oxide bonds are nowhere as strong as copper forms a 2+ bond with oxygen 2- ions to have a stabilised metal oxide surface. The acid reduces the copper oxide back to copper and oxide again easily due to the electronegativity of hydrogen ions being higher than that of copper, resulting in the oxygen being donated to the hydrogen by the copper oxide in the chemical reaction.

I seriously doubt it would work on gray coins which are usually plated with nickel or aluminium.

P.S This question is actually from an A Level Chemistry Practical paper before 2008. My teachers accepted organic acids as answers, but it makes the later part of the question more tedious because there are so many f***ing bonds to calculate the energy released, total electronegativity, concentration and no. of mole required.

Theoretically, carbonic acid (present in coke when CO2 bonds with water through the carbonating process) is only strong enough to be highly reactive at pressurised conditions. If coke that do that, we did immediately inflate ourselves as balloons as soon as we drink a can of coke.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-12-26 at 13:28.
Old 2010-12-26, 13:58   Link #116
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
If you change the criteria, you change its definition. Unless there is a hardcore reason to do so, definitions always remain the same.

Otherwise, how do we construct hypotheses?
Well, like you said, there must be justifiable reasons to change a definition. But if a definition do change, then the hypotheses one construct would simply have to reflect the new definition, if applicable. It's not like we change definitions often enough so as to make that impossible.
Old 2010-12-26, 14:40   Link #117
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Well, like you said, there must be justifiable reasons to change a definition. But if a definition do change, then the hypotheses one construct would simply have to reflect the new definition, if applicable. It's not like we change definitions often enough so as to make that impossible.
Oi oi, we're looking for interesting facts, not interesting definitions or debate...

The Japanese islands are born from an incestuous union between a brother and a sister. And we wonder why siscon is so popular in anime...
Old 2010-12-26, 15:07   Link #118
monster

Alright, to contribute to this thread, here's a simple fact: light-year is a unit of length, not time.
Old 2010-12-26, 15:07   Link #119
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
The Japanese islands are born from an incestuous union between a brother and a sister. And we wonder why siscon is so popular in anime...
Is that part of some myth/religon? Sounds to me like it is.

Don't think that would work in a fact topic. Especially with all the scientific talk flying around in here.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2010-12-26 at 15:25.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 15:27   Link #120
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
In science, it is either you construct a new definition, or retest it for errors. Newton's Laws, although flawed when quantum physics and relativity came by, aren't changed at all. Mechanics are down divided between Newtonian and Quantum.

And I say it is a "hardcore" reason, not simply "justifiable" (where a new theory can be announced so the old one fades into obscurity, not reconstruct it to suit practices). So far I have only seen it being applied once in Chemistry, where the proton donor-acceptor relationship was reduced to a model for redox and half-equations, but not totally removed from the teaching of Chemistry in any school at all.

Bringing political techniques of argument (ad hominem, etc) into science doesn't work if you don't have any bases to set as a technical example. The fundamentals of science and math are based on discovery, not established norms of practices. So you might want to reconstruct that "justifiable reasons" part to include something more than a one-liner which you think you can use back on the other person.