AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-01-17, 10:57   Link #1
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
people selling fansubs on eBay (just read me)

About 1 or 2 days ago a Pretty Cure fan came to our channel and said someone was selling our fansubs...
Thinking we couldnt do much about it, i told him this.
Even though i started searching and just for "fun" reported the item to as "recordable media" wich would also cause eBay to see if copyrights are being violated...

I reported the item, and just came to check and saw this:

Code:
This listing (#6473261496) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.

If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay.

Try searching for another item now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pretty-Cure-1-26...QQcmdZViewItem

So it seems that if you _really_ do not want people selling your fansubs for profit on eBay reporting them on grounds of "recordable media" could get the item removed. =)

Just thought i'd share this with ya'll...
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 12:55   Link #2
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
Result. I really hate the bottom-feeding scum who sell free fansubs on ebay. Regular HK bootlegs are bad enough, but when the bootlegs are fansubs that just means that as well as profiting from the anime, they are also profiting from the work of the sub group, who did their part for no profit.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 15:48   Link #3
Tonatale
Saizen staff

There is one ebay seller in particular who seems to be making a living on fansubs (over 100 fansub auctions going currently and at any given time). I've reported them many times, but it apparently hasn't stopped them so I just gave up. I guess if people are dumb to enough to pay for something we are giving away for free, they deserve to be out a few bucks. Maybe I'll just start ebaying off our own fansubs for half the price the scumbags are charging lol
Tonatale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 17:03   Link #4
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonatale
There is one ebay seller in particular who seems to be making a living on fansubs (over 100 fansub auctions going currently and at any given time). I've reported them many times, but it apparently hasn't stopped them so I just gave up. I guess if people are dumb to enough to pay for something we are giving away for free, they deserve to be out a few bucks. Maybe I'll just start ebaying off our own fansubs for half the price the scumbags are charging lol
Some people will pay for the fansubs out of mere convenience unfortunately. It's somewhat difficult to get some of the older series in their entirety so they'd rather pay him for it. It's a shame but that's just the sad reality.
tun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 20:14   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcool
So it seems that if you _really_ do not want people selling your fansubs for profit on eBay reporting them on grounds of "recordable media" could get the item removed. =)

Just thought i'd share this with ya'll...
Congratulations on getting one shut down. Unfortunately there are too many of them, and shutting one down doesn't stop that person from going and making a new account to repost it. Yeah, it's annoying and frustrating, but we simply don't have the time or resources to constantly look over ebay for possible fansub sales, and ebay isn't always all that responsive, either. If people wanted to create "fansub protection groups" who hunt around, seeking and reporting such auctions, I'd certainly praise them. Otherwise, fan education is the best that the fansub groups can try for.
Old 2006-01-17, 21:22   Link #6
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
i know the 1 item removal is just 1 out of 95094359 items x_x
If only e-bay would crack down on this, but i doubt they would

It sure is annoying that people profit from our work wich we do for free...
i wouldnt mind if they sold it for a few $ just get offset the costs of the CD/DVD and sending costs, but making a profit on it is just wrong.
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 21:47   Link #7
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Hmm, I would pay for a series that cannot be found or has 0 seeders, which is probably old anime series that hasn't been licensed. Other than that, you are right. Im sure eBay arent the only people.

You also have people on the street too.
Old 2006-01-17, 23:08   Link #8
AnbuItachi

i think rich doods just buy whole packages instead of downloading them. and fansubs > those crappy dvd subs
AnbuItachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 00:14   Link #9
bayoab

Some of them are hard to prove that they are actually on removable media though so this won't always work. but it is worth a shot to go through that list that someone posted a few weeks ago and just start submitting them all to ebay. (Hopefully they will get the hint.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnbuItachi
i think rich doods just buy whole packages instead of downloading them.
No, rich people would actually pay for the real DVDs instead of looking on Ebay and risking getting lower quality crap.
Quote:
and fansubs > those crappy dvd subs
Factually incorrect 99% of the time </ignoring 4kids></end this conversation now.>
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 00:29   Link #10
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcool
i know the 1 item removal is just 1 out of 95094359 items x_x
If only e-bay would crack down on this, but i doubt they would
They'll crack down on the smaller sellers, but they'll never go after the bigger ones. They make too much money off them... Personally I can't stand people who sell fansubs on ebay. I mean all they did was download the damn things and burn them to dvd or cd. What gives them the right to make money off it?
Old 2006-01-18, 00:31   Link #11
Tonatale
Saizen staff

I got bored earlier and browsed through one of these scumbag's catalogs. Along with several fansubs I've worked on, I noticed several funimation titles. Given funi's recently campaigns to protect their titles, I decided not to even bother reporting them to ebay and just go right ahead and report them to funimation via funimation's website. Besides, I think a C&D from funimation is more likely to stop these losers than ebay just removing their auctions.
Tonatale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 18:18   Link #12
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

Send a message via AIM to Uska Send a message via Yahoo to Uska
Reminds me of the guy that owns the anime rental shop near here. He's selling scanlations on CDRs for like 6 vols for 15$. What an ass...
Uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 12:33   Link #13
deftoned
deftoned, M.A.

Send a message via AIM to deftoned Send a message via MSN to deftoned Send a message via Yahoo to deftoned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonatale
ive seen this fellow before. he cancels his accounts and creates new ones, but you can tell its him.
deftoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 12:40   Link #14
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Altho they will occasionally shut down the random auction as a publicity stunt to show that they actually do something.

eBay, for the most part, does not give 2 shits on weither or not illegal or pirate goods are being sold on their service.

The only time eBay can get off hits ever widening and lazy ass to do anything is when things enter the territory of a felony, Which is drugs, or scams exceeding more than...$500 dollars I think.

Other than that, ebay really couldn't care or less...They are making money either way. I've become totally jaded against them after being ripped off on 3 different occasions, and them not even shutting down the peoples accounts or anything.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 14:16   Link #15
Xichito

Can't wait for some of these buyers find out that a lot of the anime people fansub include a similiar message such as "Warning: If you bought this, you've just been ripped off! This is a FREE Fansub, not for sale, rent, etc..."

Because I've seen multiple fansub groups doing that on their intro of every anime they sub, pretty good idea IMO. Just to make the buyer feel a little crappy XD
Xichito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 16:32   Link #16
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

they chop out the op/ed and eyecatch most likely, or they softsub it with a dvd sub file src and sell them as dvd versions which we all know it's not hard at all to author a dvd, and lets face it a person making a real business out of bootlegging forien media will have access to raw versions(not hard as most of you know). Anyone buying it on ebay must know that it is not an offical version anyways cause to know to look for an anime that is not commercially for sale says they know what they are doing. So really the buyer and the bootlegger are to blame, but whatever. Nothings gunna change by gripping about it. The only way it will change is if the market for bootlegged items collapses, which I don't see happening ^^;;;
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 17:45   Link #17
Twistey

Quote:
Are you trying to promote this pirate?
No actually the topic does that enough already... Anyway i was just trying to show who he was if i would have wanted to promote him i would have done "OMFG WTFBBQ IT'S SO CHEAP AND GOOD" ...
Twistey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 18:38   Link #18
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh
Anyone buying it on ebay must know that it is not an offical version anyways cause to know to look for an anime that is not commercially for sale says they know what they are doing.
Actually, a good number of these people do not realize that these copies are bootlegs or do not care about the "not for sale/rent auction". Just look at their feedback. 99 times of 100 its "A+++++", that 1 time "this is a bootleg".
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 21:36   Link #19
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

A proportion of those who give good feedback do know it's a bootleg, but to them it's reasonable quality for a cheap price, so they're not about to have a moral crisis.
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 23:36   Link #20
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeknay
A proportion of those who give good feedback do know it's a bootleg, but to them it's reasonable quality for a cheap price, so they're not about to have a moral crisis.

good price... LOL?! Theres no such thing as a good price for when you are charged for something that is distributed for free >.>.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote