AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-08-24, 18:38   Link #1
tkdtiger

old Dos and Window Games

I enjoyed many of the old games from way back then (I also actually think stories were more engaging back than). I think many of these games could still work today if they were upgraded. If you have a game that you think would be great in an updated format feel free to mention them and why.

One Dos/windows based game that I really enjoyed was the quest for glory series. I think the game could make an interesting MMO fantasy style game and it would be great to see things like Shapeir and Raseir in an upgraded graphics.
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 19:09   Link #2
Gundam Zero Force

Commander Keen Series. . . .

oh the side scrolling maddness shooting aliens and crazy creatuers and what not! So much fun, personally though if they were to make a new verion of Commander Keen I'd prefer they keep it in a sde scrolling view. I used to play that all the time as a little kid . . . . good times. Too bad the computer I have now can't support it b/c the game is so old lol
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 20:51   Link #3
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Zero Force View Post
Commander Keen Series. . . .

oh the side scrolling maddness shooting aliens and crazy creatuers and what not! So much fun, personally though if they were to make a new verion of Commander Keen I'd prefer they keep it in a sde scrolling view. I used to play that all the time as a little kid . . . . good times. Too bad the computer I have now can't support it b/c the game is so old lol
lol I remember Commander Keen. I agree some games are perfect for the side scroll :P
Old 2007-08-24, 20:54   Link #4
neutralizer
Hinagiku-ist

Send a message via AIM to neutralizer
Raptor: Call of the Shadows
Jazz the Jack Rabbit

I loved playing these games growing up.
neutralizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 21:20   Link #5
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
No the greatest of them all is Mech Warriors 1-3 and Master of Orion! ^_^ Xcom-3 was fun too.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 21:29   Link #6
Spark

Ahh, the old mech warriors were amazing! I still remember them.

Oregon trail was always fun too, when you died and you got to leave a tombstone behind. Good stuff!
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 21:31   Link #7
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Ahh, the old mech warriors were amazing! I still remember them.

Oregon trail was always fun too, when you died and you got to leave a tombstone behind. Good stuff!
Nooo... it was snake bites that killed everyone.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 21:33   Link #8
Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Nooo... it was snake bites that killed everyone.
'You have died of dysentery'

*chuckle*

best death of em all =]
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 23:32   Link #9
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Best Star Wars games: Jedi Knight, TIE Fighter, X-wing, X-wing VS. TIE Fighter, Rogue Squadron, Rebel Assault I and II

Other/Misc: Rayman, Oregon Trail (I was totally addicted. Stop dying, my cattle! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...)
Old 2007-08-24, 23:35   Link #10
Ledgem
Love Yourself

What do you mean by "upgraded"? Graphics, gameplay?

I know that for me, games with "crappy graphics" were actually some of the better ones. I love the eye-candy of the latest Final Fantasy just as much as anyone else, but games like that don't really stick around in my memory that well. It could just be because I'm older as I play those ones, but the games with worse graphics really felt more epic. It left a lot to the imagination, so when you think back to them, you're not remembering some 16-bit blocky graphics, but how the image was in your mind. Just my opinion, either way.

I discovered that games like that can still feel epic when about a year ago I found a game called Cave Story. Free game, made by a lone guy in Japan (there is an English version available). A lot of fun, engrossing storyline, short, and yet it had the feeling of one of those old NES side-scrolling games. If anyone has time and doesn't mind playing games like that on the computer, I highly recommend checking it out. You're probably in for a bigger treat if you have a USB game controller.
Old 2007-08-24, 23:37   Link #11
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

He means configured for newer systems. And obviously, better graphics, since old graphics < new graphics.
Old 2007-08-24, 23:47   Link #12
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Ahh, the good old times. I don't know about you guys, but I used to enjoy messing around with Banner for dos on my old 386 20MHZ. After I got my Pentium 166, roughly ten years ago, I didn't have a lot of games to play since they were rarely available where I lived. But I remember playing F15, which then got upgraded to F-22. Rayman was a lot of fun too, we'd gather up at my friend's house and play Rayman for the entiiiire day.

But probably the game that has left the biggest mark on me is Worms and Worms 2. That was definitely some of the best times I've ever had. Last worm, you and another dude, 'Kamikazeeeeee' boom, Draw.

Nowadays it's all about strategy - if you don't press the heal button every two seconds while tanking a mob and giving everyone your Blessing of Kings and what-not, your raid leader will yell at you until you get sick of it and tell him to go eat garbage. I had fun playing online games until I spent eight months playing Ragnarok on an official server. It was only around 20% fun and 80% frustration, topped with being banned for buying a botted fabre card and losing over 300m in equips.

Nowadays I'm only rarely playing anything, and it's WC3 for most of the time. I rediscovered it and realized how much fun it could be almost four years after first buying it. DotA was teh sh!t for a while too, but it got boring after about a year of two hours almost everyday.

It's kind of sad, but I just can't simply start playing a game and do it just for fun anymore.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 01:16   Link #13
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
Ahh, the good old times. I don't know about you guys, but I used to enjoy messing around with Banner for dos on my old 386 20MHZ. After I got my Pentium 166, roughly ten years ago, I didn't have a lot of games to play since they were rarely available where I lived. But I remember playing F15, which then got upgraded to F-22. Rayman was a lot of fun too, we'd gather up at my friend's house and play Rayman for the entiiiire day.

But probably the game that has left the biggest mark on me is Worms and Worms 2. That was definitely some of the best times I've ever had. Last worm, you and another dude, 'Kamikazeeeeee' boom, Draw.

Nowadays it's all about strategy - if you don't press the heal button every two seconds while tanking a mob and giving everyone your Blessing of Kings and what-not, your raid leader will yell at you until you get sick of it and tell him to go eat garbage. I had fun playing online games until I spent eight months playing Ragnarok on an official server. It was only around 20% fun and 80% frustration, topped with being banned for buying a botted fabre card and losing over 300m in equips.

Nowadays I'm only rarely playing anything, and it's WC3 for most of the time. I rediscovered it and realized how much fun it could be almost four years after first buying it. DotA was teh sh!t for a while too, but it got boring after about a year of two hours almost everyday.

It's kind of sad, but I just can't simply start playing a game and do it just for fun anymore.
I agree I'm only finding my self really going back to a few games...and most of those are the old DOS/windows games like Quest for Glory (which if I recall help contribute to the creation of the first MMORPG game the Realm) I don't know why, but those old games keep me coming back and the new ones I play once and it's forgotten.

I remember playing alot of those old adventure games. I remember Kings Quest. That was a cool series. I also remember playing this one game I forgot it's name, but your a detective. I remember it, because in the beginning I would forget to put on my clothes and get arrested
Old 2007-08-25, 03:37   Link #14
Pendevous
Yoroshiku
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Pendevous
Master of Orion, Dune 2: Battle For Arakkis, and all of these are old games too. Based on DOS though, I must say that the game called, "Abuse" was my old time favorite. Seriously, for a game more than 12 years ago, the graphics are awesome.
Pendevous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 05:12   Link #15
Bri-N
@_@;

I'm surprised no one mentioned Day of The Tentacle. XD I loved that game...
Bri-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 05:13   Link #16
Ziv

Did anyone ever play the original Duke Nukem games?
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 08:06   Link #17
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

Alley Cat was one of my favourite games for a long time.
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 11:23   Link #18
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Jazz Jack Rabbit was my ultimate favourite

the first game i played when i got my first computer (at age 6) was Doom II, lol i thought it was really scary and eventually made my dad play it for me so i could watch along

Jazz was first played by my dad as well so i could watch but eventually i played it myself =D

other than that, Lemmings 1, 2 and 3, WolfenStein (daddy played that for me yay)

i remember my sis being addicted to the Pong game in Keen.. she would play that for hours >.>; much to my annoyance

Quote:
Did anyone ever play the original Duke Nukem games?
ooh yes, the very first Duke yes, though i hardly remember it.. i do remember the running chikin XD
hardly did the sequel, couldnt get passed the squidies >.>;

other than that i loved that Siera game, those click solve puzzle stories with a blonde kid and his dolphin who could talk, i never finished the game, id really like to play it again he he
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 12:38   Link #19
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Crusader no Remorse and Crusader no Regret

2 old DOS games that were just amazing. Thinking back it's making me want to play those games again...
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 12:47   Link #20
jedinat

I really want to play Quest for Glory IV. I started it but it kept crashing on my computer - from what I saw I loved the atmosphere and the narrator's voice was subperb. It's impressive that such an old game could be so captivating. Unfortunately it would crash randomly, usually during battles, and I didn't have the heart to invest time in something so uncertain.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote