AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-03-24, 15:26   Link #1141
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Finished the game, good storytelling with some trolling

Spoiler for Story:

Other than the story, the gameplay was below average. The repetitive dungeons were really terrible. The good thing was that there was no getting trapped in corners with invisible walls bugs. I hope they implement that in ME3.
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 15:30   Link #1142
Who

I think it would've been better if David Gaider wrote Anders in both Awakening and DA2, or if they assigned Anders to Jennifer Hepler from the very start. I've seen arguments from the opposing side of the camp to the romances, and I can see where they're coming from.
Anders never presented himself as being interested in males in Awakening (just did a complete check on his dialogue conversations through the wiki), and although he was much snarkier and likeable then, the conflict was there.
The closest he's been to flirting with Nathaniel was more of a dodging the question that we see him do all the time. Impression I got from Anders was that he was as heterosexual as heterosexual can get in DA:A, and it landed a surprise on me when I saw my male character being hit on by him.
I guess that some are irked as well by the fact that the females get an additional romance in Sebastian, who is pure hetero. I think it's fine that Bioware is opening up all options to people, just keep the consistency. I just romance Merrill all the time, anyways, since I don't like any of the companions in this game as romance options anyways.

In regards to classes and gameplay, I've been converted into a warrior lover. Rogues can burn in hell for all I care now, unless I play DA:O.

Last edited by Who; 2011-03-24 at 15:58.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 15:52   Link #1143
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

^ thus why they can't just make straight characters bi all of a sudden, if they make tali/garrus bi in ME3 I'll rage. Not that I'm against it but it wouldn't make sense.
Old 2011-03-24, 18:52   Link #1144
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Heh I find that all amusing. TBH I liked Merril since she was kinda quirky and her random comments were amusing. Isabella was fine to me, yeah her chest was hilarious, but it just filled her roll as a 'busty pirate wen ...captain'. Female pirates have been portrayed like that for decades. Only thing about her that raised my eyebrow was that she didn't seem to be wearing pants... Although doing things pant-less adds a level of excitement to proceedings generally.

Anyways, other companions were all normals to me, I didn't mind Aveline much, although she was a bit dour. Didn't consider romancing the males, just wasn't interested. I didn't find them all that interesting, except for Varric.

Anyways, game was fun.. the dungeons though, were disappointing. When I heard someone say that it was repetitive and looked the same I figured, thats fine they just used the same textures and models... not that they copy pasted the dungeons and just changed your entrance point... thats just lazy, something you'd expect from a fan-made content.
Old 2011-03-24, 20:34   Link #1145
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
^ thus why they can't just make straight characters bi all of a sudden, if they make tali/garrus bi in ME3 I'll rage. Not that I'm against it but it wouldn't make sense.
I honestly do not see a problem with being given a choice. It's not like one is morally obligated to go against their beliefs or anything...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 22:13   Link #1146
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Wish they would just make them Bi if you chose the option during a companion event. now its too late =\
Old 2011-03-24, 22:23   Link #1147
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Technically they aren't bi, as David Gaider said, the characters' sexuality is dependent upon the sex of Hawke.

There can't be both a female and male Hawke in the same universe, and from the promotional art and marketing, clearly Bioware considers the male Hawke to be the canon Hawke. Which means, according to canon, Anders and Fenris are gay men and Merrill is a straight woman. In the alternate continuity where Hawke is female, Anders and Fenris are straight men and Merrill is a lesbian.

Isabela is already established as canon bisexual, due to the potential threesome with Leliana in Origins--regardless of what sex the Warden is.

I would also be willing to bet that bisexuality is a lot more common in Thedas than in reality, due to the fact that the dominant religion (the Chantry) doesn't seem to give two shits about who you decide to fuck. After all, in reality, almost all homosexual discrimination stems from religious bigotry and intolerance. The Chantry, apparently, wants to save up all of their irrational hatred and direct it at mages instead.
Old 2011-03-24, 22:49   Link #1148
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I am still stuck at the part where I don't get to see Elsa, so I am unable to complete the game. And those assholes who built the 1.01 patch couldn't even fix it.

Uninstalled the game. I am not going to play it anymore until they fixed that. If they still can't fix it, I am going to have to bring this to CASE and get my refund from the shopkeeper who sold me the game.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 22:58   Link #1149
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I've never heard of that bug, so I don't have any idea how you could bypass it.
Old 2011-03-25, 01:43   Link #1150
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I am still stuck at the part where I don't get to see Elsa, so I am unable to complete the game. And those assholes who built the 1.01 patch couldn't even fix it.

Uninstalled the game. I am not going to play it anymore until they fixed that. If they still can't fix it, I am going to have to bring this to CASE and get my refund from the shopkeeper who sold me the game.
Uh, never heard of such a bug. Of course, you could just load up the "Act" autosave to restart Act 3 (I know the quest involving Elsa is in fact the first quest you can get) and see if she appears then. When I did the quest, she just appeared in front of me after talking talking to Meredith.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 01:47   Link #1151
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Yeah, same here. I never had to click on her to talk to her--the cutscene just went from Meredith to Elsa.
Old 2011-03-25, 06:21   Link #1152
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Currently in Act 3 with snarky female Hawke and it has been a BLAST! The awkward pauses and uncomfortable silences as you make dead baby jokes and quip black comedy. It's brilliant, and hilarious!

It even affects your default dialogue set-up and initial conversations! In my first playthrough, when I mainly chose blue-dialogue options, the dialogue was almost always formal and prim and proper... not so if you mainly choose the purple-dialogue options.

Romances/friendships/rivalries were also a ton of fun if you consistently pick the snarky options. Fenris laughing was a particular high point, because it was so obvious he wasn't used to it. Imagine a gargoyle trying to contort its face into a laughing Buddha.

Tormenting Merrill into rivalry with the snarky options was fun too, and the build-up to the "hate-sex" was awesome. Reloaded though, because I wanted to try out the Fenris romance, and man... was it awkward with a snarky Hawke.

Spoiler for Aveline Spoiler:

The voice-acting and facial animations for the snarky female Hawke is spot-on. You know she's being a naughty girl when she arches that eyebrow of hers and smile her impish smile. She's a lovable rascal.

Sebastian: "Is there nothing sacred to you, Hawke?"

Cheers.
Old 2011-03-25, 07:06   Link #1153
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Technically they aren't bi, as David Gaider said, the characters' sexuality is dependent upon the sex of Hawke.

There can't be both a female and male Hawke in the same universe, and from the promotional art and marketing, clearly Bioware considers the male Hawke to be the canon Hawke. Which means, according to canon, Anders and Fenris are gay men and Merrill is a straight woman. In the alternate continuity where Hawke is female, Anders and Fenris are straight men and Merrill is a lesbian.

Isabela is already established as canon bisexual, due to the potential threesome with Leliana in Origins--regardless of what sex the Warden is.

I would also be willing to bet that bisexuality is a lot more common in Thedas than in reality, due to the fact that the dominant religion (the Chantry) doesn't seem to give two shits about who you decide to fuck. After all, in reality, almost all homosexual discrimination stems from religious bigotry and intolerance. The Chantry, apparently, wants to save up all of their irrational hatred and direct it at mages instead.
lol yea, its too bad they didn't do that for Bioware :eyeroll:
Old 2011-03-25, 10:00   Link #1154
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Spoiler for Aveline Spoiler:
I need to know how to do this. NAO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
lol yea, its too bad they didn't do that for Bioware :eyeroll:
I still do not see the problem, myself. It's not like you're obligated to acknowledge any bisexual relationship as canon, if you do not want to. Really...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 11:19   Link #1155
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Unless they patched the last game then fem shep and tali's closer relation ship will seem rushed, I wouldnt want that to ruin it.
Old 2011-03-25, 12:15   Link #1156
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

I enjoyed this game a lot, I completed quiet fast on the PC on hard, I found it very very different to Orgins but it was refreshing. Defiently had a Mass effect feel to it, being so Action-rpg. I played through the rogue which was nice but quiet boring compared to the other two classes. Thats what I think anyway, now to move on and see what they bring in DA3. Muwahah.
Old 2011-03-25, 12:18   Link #1157
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

The thing is, and I remember a discussion I had with people about this yesterday, is the fact that Anders in Awakening is not gay or at least never makes any slight hints towards being it. And the fact that they changed so much about him, going from wittey jokes to "serious bussiness" overnight.

If I remember correctly the romance writer is different from the one used in Awakening also.

It just doesn't make sense that they just throw everything off with 180 degrees. But heck many things do not

-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 12:36   Link #1158
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

use the console and act jump.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 13:12   Link #1159
Irkalla
I asked for this

Does it even matter if Anders or any other character is bi, straight or gay? Take them however you like (hawkesexual), their sexuality doesn't change a fig about who they are. It's a pure design choice to appeal to a wider audience, and I wholeheartedly approve of it. I'm so sick of people complaining how they ruined a character by giving people the option to chose, it's like, oh you are gay, I don't like you.
Old 2011-03-25, 13:26   Link #1160
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkalla View Post
Does it even matter if Anders or any other character is bi, straight or gay? Take them however you like (hawkesexual), their sexuality doesn't change a fig about who they are. It's a pure design choice to appeal to a wider audience, and I wholeheartedly approve of it. I'm so sick of people complaining how they ruined a character by giving people the option to chose, it's like, oh you are gay, I don't like you.
The thing is a lot of people would not mind if he or any other character were bi or gay. The problem about it is that even in normal conversations you're being hit on, specially with Anders it is in situations when you are just having a normal conversation. Or when somethign simple as "calm down" "stay in control" are meant as conversations that lead into I want a gay relationship when those choices (this when he's telling you about Justice and how he wants to kill Templars when he sees them now) have nothing to do with a that close intimacy. The only non gay option in it was something that came allong the lines of "shut the .. up you <insert swear words here>". With Fernis it is obvious that he is bisexual, his previous owner states this and if you do not romance him and walk around with him together with Isabella they even talk to each other about getting together that night to do naughty things, Fernis is very down to business when it comes to that.

However Anders is a different plate, you have Awakening Anders with not even the slightest hint of homosexuality and instead leans more to hetrosexuality. What I still remember fromt he conversation I had with the people who agreed on it was that the romance writer back then for Anders was different and that they pretty much compared to him from Awakening made him very ooc.

It isn't much about people finding it disgusting that a character is gay, it is something that I like having an option as in games however in DA2 it's simply like this: da people whined about Zevran being the only gay option, they wanted more specially with Alistair but were quite annoyed that he was straight (mods ftw though). So much like they did with the entire game structure not just in DA but also in ME they took all those pointers and instead of making it balanced they threw in the whole jar and thought that it would become a stable interaction to have. It isn't, everyone you come across of that has the option rubs it in your face at the worst times possible in conversations when such mentions make no sense. It takes away how the player interacts witht he game, you hardly feel anything for it because the conversations about nearly anything are given at the wrong time and in such a way that you do not relate to it. This is what I think is bad about the gay sexuality option, not much that the character is gay but that they too no time into placing the important conversations factors at the right times so that a character isn't a flat 1 page folder but actually becomes slightly deeper and more relating with the viewer. That and if it isn't cannon :/ just leave it out, the only reason they did it is because of the demand of fangirls who want more gay characters, but quantity isn't quality.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioware, ps3, rpg, windows, xbox360