AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-06-11, 04:44   Link #1281
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Square Enix sold four million copies of Tomb Raider and lost money; they consider it a failure. Their twelve-year-old MMORPG that can run on a toaster makes more profit.
Oh please, unrealistic expectations != development costs. If I fund a project for 100 million, expect it to make 300 million and it makes 150 million it's a disappoint right? All 3 Square Enix Western games in question broke even at least, they're more than likely working on Tomb Raider 2 already.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 04:53   Link #1282
Domonkazu

they just downgraded ported pc games so hard that it can run in consoles, sure you can play BF3 in PS3 or 360 but at what quality??
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 05:36   Link #1283
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonkazu View Post
they just downgraded ported pc games so hard that it can run in consoles, sure you can play BF3 in PS3 or 360 but at what quality??
No shit, they're 7 to 8 year old consoles.

Gears of War shat over every pc game when it came out. People like to laugh @ the xbone price but the fact is I spend twice as much as that every 3-4 years upgrading my pc.
Old 2013-06-11, 08:14   Link #1284
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

MS should never have made Kinect mandatory. I don't know what they were hoping to achieve by doing that, spying or not.

One thing is for sure, without the Kinect, Box1 would have been similar if not identical in price to PS4.

But is it even possible to undo the Kinect requirement? The OS of the console is voice activated, there was no backup to use the machine via traditional methods. MS burned their bridges, and now they are stuck with no good options.

Is it even viable to reboot the console, FFXIV style?
Old 2013-06-11, 08:38   Link #1285
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
MS should never have made Kinect mandatory. I don't know what they were hoping to achieve by doing that, spying or not.

One thing is for sure, without the Kinect, Box1 would have been similar if not identical in price to PS4.

But is it even possible to undo the Kinect requirement? The OS of the console is voice activated, there was no backup to use the machine via traditional methods. MS burned their bridges, and now they are stuck with no good options.

Pretty sure the devkits don't rely on voice commands, for OS features. MS is software company foremost, so if they wanted they could do way with the drm, kinect and all those unnecessary features. However, it will become more difficult down the road to make these changes, once the console is on the market, since some games would need to be patched to make them work without, say, kinect aso.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 09:42   Link #1286
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post

It's physically possible to remove the Kinect, but Microsoft would never do it. The reason the TV functionality and the NFL exclusive licensing even works is because they're supposed to be easy and intuitive to use. Take away Kinect, and this becomes untrue, and nobody will ever touch those services. All you'd be left with is an inferior PS4 with all of the Xbone's draconian DRM. I think that it's more fruitful to think of the Xbone being built around the Kinect, and that it's impossible to separate it from the whole.

A reboot is impossible for the Xbone without completely redesigning the unit. One of the core concepts behind it was "install everything from disc then throw away the disc", and the only way to do that is that ugly DRM. Instead, Microsoft is going to double down, and proceed with their original plans as if they're still viable. The Xbone will probably still be a moderate success in the U.S., but it's dead everywhere else.
Old 2013-06-11, 09:56   Link #1287
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It's physically possible to remove the Kinect, but Microsoft would never do it. The reason the TV functionality and the NFL exclusive licensing even works is because they're supposed to be easy and intuitive to use. Take away Kinect, and this becomes untrue, and nobody will ever touch those services. All you'd be left with is an inferior PS4 with all of the Xbone's draconian DRM. I think that it's more fruitful to think of the Xbone being built around the Kinect, and that it's impossible to separate it from the whole.

A reboot is impossible for the Xbone without completely redesigning the unit. One of the core concepts behind it was "install everything from disc then throw away the disc", and the only way to do that is that ugly DRM. Instead, Microsoft is going to double down, and proceed with their original plans as if they're still viable. The Xbone will probably still be a moderate success in the U.S., but it's dead everywhere else.
I pretty much agree.

I expect Microsoft to take on a sort of siege mentality, emphasize the Kinect strengths as much as possible, and then hope for the best.

Sony has really checkmated them into a bad position.
Old 2013-06-11, 10:13   Link #1288
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Gears of War shat over every pc game when it came out. People like to laugh @ the xbone price but the fact is I spend twice as much as that every 3-4 years upgrading my pc.
Hm, GeOW PC ran very well on average rigs and honestly, was a very optimized port!
And at least PC hardware rarely fails on you, and it's easier to sell in the long run. But PC parts are becoming cheaper now, and you no longer need a monster rig to run @ 60fps+1080p.

And btw, that's the main difference between PS3/360 and PS4/ONE versions.
Graphics can no longer improve much more, and smoothness is the dealbreaker there.
Old 2013-06-12, 07:29   Link #1289
Destined_Fate

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/06/...x-one-in-asia/

XBox One delayed for a year for Asia.

Don't see why they bothered as the 360 sold bad in the East. Like really bad. Many Multi-Plat games in Asia only had a PS3 version.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 08:09   Link #1290
killer3000ad

Microsoft Don Mattrick: “We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360.”

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/06/1...says-microsoft

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2013-06-12 at 10:24.
killer3000ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 08:33   Link #1291
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Microsoft Don Mattrick: “We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360.”
Translated:
"We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Playstation 4."
Old 2013-06-12, 08:34   Link #1292
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:

Not helping. Definitely not helping
Old 2013-06-12, 08:37   Link #1293
GDB

Quote:

Next employee to lose his job? Survey says...
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 09:12   Link #1294
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

It's not a gaffe exactly; that's official company policy. There is NO PLAN other than demanding people to get better internet.
Old 2013-06-12, 09:14   Link #1295
GDB

But it's not really any different from Mr. "Deal With It", who was also just stating company policy. He got canned for it. Easier than changing the policy.
Old 2013-06-12, 09:25   Link #1296
Westlo
Lets be reality

It's pr spin, the other guy was running his mouth before stuff was even launched.
Old 2013-06-12, 10:27   Link #1297
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Microsoft has decided that they're going to abandon certain potential customers when it comes to the XBox One. It sucks, but they have every right to do it.

They're not the government, guys. It's not like they have some sort of responsibility for their products/services to be useable by the entire population.

I think what Microsoft is doing with the XBox One is terrible, but people might as well get used to it. Like 4Tran wrote, they're doubling-down and that's that.
Old 2013-06-12, 10:36   Link #1298
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

That's a huge risk. Like you said they have every right to do so regardless of what we think. Sales are gonna be the deciding factor. Someone from Microsoft said this console race was a marathon not a sprint. Well they've already shot themselves in the foot. Only time will tell how bad the infection gets down the line.
Old 2013-06-12, 11:04   Link #1299
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I hope I don't sound like a troll, but I am going through the options of MS pulling through, and I can't get around the issue of price.

Here is a tinfoil hat theory: what if MS decided to tell the US government they would have to subsidise every kinect sold? After all, they are getting a spying device globally, they should pay MS for the expenses. Get it out of the PRISM budget, and MS would be able to sell Xbox1 at $399...

Too far fetched?
Old 2013-06-12, 11:10   Link #1300
GDB

Not at all. I was actually thinking that this morning. Especially when you consider that, according to the initial reports, Microsoft was the first to line up behind PRISM back in 2008.