AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-11-12, 12:38   Link #21
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 7:

drama has become too much for my tastes. Dropping now, and not buying anything from this.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-19, 21:18   Link #22
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep8:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-21, 00:06   Link #23
Kazu-kun

I don't get it. How are these people getting away with stealing from Idol Pride so shamelessly? Are there no copyright laws in Japan?

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2021-11-21 at 00:17.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-26, 19:46   Link #24
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep9:

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2021-12-03, 06:08   Link #25
FractalFusion

Hm, I haven't posted for a while. Guess I'll do so now.

I don't tend to watch shows during the season they are airing anymore (because I want to make absolutely sure I will not be disappointed). However, I made an exception for Selection Project starting last week.

It's funny how everyone is comparing this to Idoly Pride (a show which I got around to watching last month after putting it on my plan-to-watch for months). I have some comments too but I'll wait a couple weeks or so before I put everything about that together. I'll keep the rest of this post Idoly Pride-free.

I think the drama in this show is not well written. It's still entertaining in some ways though . One thing I noticed is that in Ep 8/9, Sumipanda never actually said how the votes will be used to determine which two are eliminated. (Maybe the votes are actually (Y)ells but no one realizes this?) I wonder if that is going to come into play in Ep 10. (Or am I giving this show too much credit?) Anyway I'll give the show credit if it does something clever in Ep 10, as opposed to what everyone says is obviously going to happen.

Note: It's been reported that the subtitles for this show are pretty bad. For example, these three are the worst ones: The subtitles don't even make sense in the context of the situation. Just in case you were wondering about the subtitle quality.
FractalFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-10, 20:19   Link #26
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep11:

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2021-12-10 at 20:45.
Old 2021-12-24, 20:56   Link #27
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

Old 2021-12-24, 22:34   Link #28
Kazu-kun

You know, if you received a heart transplant, and later on you ended up unconscious due to overwork, there's no way any doctor would just allow you to go perform on stage right after you woke up. That's not gonna happen.

This wasn't just unrealistic; it was stupid beyond understanding. What the heck?
Old 2021-12-25, 07:23   Link #29
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
This is one Fall 2021 anime show where I agree with the criticism it's getting here on Anime Suki.

I liked the characters well enough, and the performances in the show were quite nice. The audiovisuals in general were good.

But the plot...

The similarities to Idoly Pride were probably a coincidence, so I decided to let that slide. But what I found impossible to let slide is how the show just refused to stay true to its Episode 1 setup.

By now, in 2021, there's loads of idol anime about J-Pop idols coming together to form a group and perform as a group. That's nothing new. What would be new, though? If they had actually stayed true to the idea of a J-Pop idol elimination contest that initially was strikingly similar to shows like American Idol and America's Got Talent. I thought that was a great idea, a great premise for a new type of idol anime. It could provide something different to the idol anime world.

But no, the show royally chickened out and had one plot contrivance after another after another in order to turn what could have been a fresh new take on idol anime into just another generic "group of girls come together" idol anime. Except, like Kazu-kun and serenade beta said, it's plot is legit dumber than most idol anime.

Such a huge disappointment to me...

Ah well, I loved Idoly Pride. And LL Superstar was pretty solid. So at least those two idol shows delivered.
Old 2021-12-27, 21:18   Link #30
FractalFusion

Selection Project wasn't too bad actually; the ending was better than I had expected. There were some things I liked, such as the music and the 3D dances (a lot of the same reasons I liked Idoly Pride). I wish they showed more music and dances though; each sub-unit only played one song in the anime. Surely they could have done better than that; it's not like other songs don't exist! (See for example: Masquerade - SuzuRena)

However, there were some things I didn't like. The whole "reality show" thing turned out (as I had feared) to be largely meaningless as it became evident this was an anime about nine girls becoming friends. I actually wouldn't have minded if the whole anime was about the nine of them forming their own group (like in Episode 10/11) without any of this reality show nonsense. As it is, the reality show thing just feels like bait to lure you into watching this anime. It also doesn't help that nearly any time the reality show is involved, there is such a pervasive feeling of drama that hardly ever lets up.

In addition, there were a number of plot points that bothered me as it seems on closer examination they were not well thought out. The first five episodes were all right but starting on episode 6, it starts to accumulate:

* Episode 6: At around this time, the other contestants become overly concerned about Suzune's well-being (this is supposed to be a reality show where contestants compete against each other to win, remember).
* Episode 6/7: Suzune has a hangup because of swimsuits showing her surgery scar, and it's resolved when all of them find a way to craft a swimsuit that would cover her scar. Except almost half of them wore swimsuits that if worn by Suzune have covered the scar anyway. Did these swimsuits not exist before the end of Episode 7?
* Episode 7/8: Rena talks to Suzune about being an organ donor in Episode 7. However, it is revealed in Episode 8 that Rena knew all along her sister Akari was an organ donor, and that Akari gave her organs upon her death. So why did Rena not mention any of this to Suzune in Episode 7? And how did Rena not have any kind of feeling that Suzune might possibly have Akari's heart prior to discovering this through Suzune's fan letters?
* Episode 8: A flashback shows Rena and her (and Akari's) mother near the surgery room, discussing Akari's organ donation in which she is presumably (brain)dead. This whole scene is so terribly written and whoever wrote this has no idea how deceased organ donation works. In particular, the line "Akari is an organ donor. They need to operate on her right away." Could you imagine anyone in real life talking like this? Let alone the mother of the person in question?
* Episode 9/10: Here the contestants have to vote two of them out. Already most of them are treating this as if the show was forcing them to vote out their BFFs. (See the second paragraph above.) Although the writer could have done something particularly interesting with the setup, instead it is played completely straight and everyone voted for themselves to create the 9-tie (pun intended). Absolutely nothing about whether the group was anything less than ultimate friends, nothing about what happens if some contestants secretly choose not to vote themselves, nothing about how the voting was even supposed to determine who gets voted out.
* Episode 10: After the group refuses to play along with the system, the show disqualifies all nine of them and there is no winner. This is completely unrealistic; any show in real life that does this is essentially choosing to destroy itself.
* Episode 11: The girls then form their own group some months later, and eventually they get a following. Then they get an offer from Production Select to re-enter the show and they accept it. But why would they throw away everything they stood for during the last episode and a half, just to go back on the show that disqualified them because they refused to do what the show wanted?
* Episode 12: Suzune becomes seriously ill and has to go to the hospital. Apparently the only thing that matters to everyone is that she immediately wake up and perform on stage right away. (To be fair, Suzune has total plot armor at this point and everyone just knows this )

----

So, what to think of this anime? Well, when I heard Selection Project coincidentally (or not?) shared an abnormal number of plot points with Idoly Pride, it got me into watching Idoly Pride first (which I had put off until then) and then following, but not watching right away, how Selection Project was doing. I eventually decided to watch Selection Project a little later on. So the fact that everyone was mentioning Idoly Pride in Selection Project threads wasn't actually a bad thing, personally.

I did eventually recognize that the two of them are fairly different. (Idoly Pride being more like IDOLM@STER and Selection Project being more like, well, Love Live maybe?) I just think that, with a much better story, Selection Project could have been something very special, could have been even better than Idoly Pride (whose story isn't the best but is at least decent and leaves me wanting more).

Oh, and now that Selection Project is over, here is a list of plot points that are common to both Idoly Pride and Selection Project (don't take this too seriously ) NOTE: There are Idoly Pride spoilers below. Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled for that anime.
Spoiler for Idoly Pride and Selection Project plot point spoilers:
FractalFusion is offline   Reply With Quote