AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 180 70.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 14.90%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 7.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 1.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 0.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.39%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.39%
1 out of 10 : Painful 9 3.53%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-30, 13:23   Link #101
Kouvley

It didn't come as a suprise what happened since the foreshadowing was quite obvious but it still hit like a ton of bricks. Heart wrenching stuff.

I agree they could have used a more fitting ending song but it's no big deal, I think we should judge the episode on it's actual content rather than penalize it for this and besides, don't most people skip to the previews anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
but now it looks like we are going to get a slap across the face with the irony-stick as Tomoya now becomes like his father.
Agreed.

For the remainder of this show I think we will see Tomoya gradually realize this and perhaps reconcile with his father.

I'm still not sure how the hidden/illusionary world and light orbs will play into this though. Maybe we will get a happy ending in some kind of alternate dimension/timeline?
Old 2009-01-30, 14:02   Link #102
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
Oh my dear God! You must be in rough shape with that combo

I've shed tears for quite a few anime in the past but this is probably the most ever for me. Not only did I shed tears, I actually had the lip quiver going....I may have even made a "puu" sound ......

I saw it coming even though I have never read spoilers about this game, but now it looks like we are going to get a slap across the face with the irony-stick as Tomoya now becomes like his father. Hopefully Ushio inherits Nagisa's natural kindness and brings Tomoya back from the brink.

I don't blame Tomoya for his sadness, if I ever had a person like Nagisa and then lost her I'd probably be pretty devastated too. Might even consider joining her on the other side if I were him. But considering the sacrifice Nagisa made in order to bring Ushio into this world, Tomoya better not even consider it, he has a duty to raise Ushio well in response to her sacrifice.

Anyway, really well done episode that I wish was never ever made. I want the Super-happy-ending dammit. Or I'd at least settle for the Scooby-Doo ending or something... just not this.
You've gotta carry that weight.
Old 2009-01-30, 15:07   Link #103
hero147

Awww man....Maybe I shouldn't have watched this episode and stopped right at 15....when everything was still fine and happy.
Old 2009-01-30, 15:08   Link #104
Pai
ハガレン fan

I'm reading other forums and blogs and I noticed so many Nagisa's haters... Why?
So cruel...
Old 2009-01-30, 15:22   Link #105
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
You've gotta carry that weight.
*cues the Beatles*

But yeah, there are eight more episodes to go in the series, and a LOT can happen in those eight episodes, depending on how the story is paced. Or more accurately, on how the VN was paced.

--Ian.
Old 2009-01-30, 15:28   Link #106
FTV

I move that the products of these mad sadness scientists include warnings and disclaimers as to the profound psychological effects they seek to inflict, namely, the freaking crazy weepies!
Old 2009-01-30, 15:31   Link #107
FTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pai View Post
I'm reading other forums and blogs and I noticed so many Nagisa's haters... Why?
So cruel...
Don't worry, it's just one of the stages of loss.
Old 2009-01-30, 15:38   Link #108
fattybats

Wahhh! I was so happy just 30 minutes ago!
Old 2009-01-30, 16:04   Link #109
cbatty
Such is liff

Finally watched the ep - didn't want to see it before sleeping last night as it would probably keep me awake and I need to drive 4 hours to do an install today.. yet now that I have seen it the effect still hits me like a ton of bricks.

Not many anime stories have brought me to tears - tears of sadness anyway - Air did, but this one far surpasses that. As I said in an earlier post, we have come to know the characters much better in Clannad. We have seen their trials and triumphs, happy times and sad times. And this is definitely the saddest time.

Only 8 episodes to go. I hope there is some happiness for Tomoya and Ushio.
Old 2009-01-30, 16:21   Link #110
Avacado Burger
Senpai, we musn't!!!

Goddammit! After watching this, it feels like
Spoiler for Ep 16:
. I think I'll be brooding the rest of the night.

See, I knew this was going to happen, but it was a matter of WHEN and not IF. The last few episodes were squeezing my heart in a vice grip, and episode 16 was the final turn before it broke.

And TORCH right after that scene?! Seriously?!
Old 2009-01-30, 16:31   Link #111
LunarSun

it feels like im watching the last episode of AIR all over again >.<
Old 2009-01-30, 17:16   Link #112
SSJiffy
AWWWSOME

****. The 2nd part of this episode had me on the brink of crying. It was an emotional rollercoaster and it's not over by a long shot. I'm very concerned for Tomoya's mental health as well as what will happen with Ushio.
Old 2009-01-30, 17:52   Link #113
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

To be frank, I don't think I can think of Tomoya without actually considering what had happened to Naoyuki, and then of course the Furukawa family.

By no mean is the journey of life over for those that's alive, and to think that I, with not even 24 years of existance already have a distaste in seeing someone off to 6 feet under.

I think i'd be weeping to soundtracks involving Nagisa for a while, this I am certain.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2009-01-30, 18:26   Link #114
SnackPacs
As Expected of 2chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarSun View Post
For some I suppose, but for select few, Air probably had more potential to hit home for people in a mother/child relationship rather than the husband mentally dependent on wife relationship.

Still, this was heartbreaking and I was getting sad shivers before the second half began... And then once they entered that scene where everything had a white hue and there was pretty much strictly a white background, it really just went downhill for me.

Most interesting point of the episode for me though was the brief moment where Tomoya recalled the whole mentioning of the other world and whatnot, came out of nowhere but it was still a surreal moment for the episode.

Luckily, I have already recovered from the episode and will manage to go on for the weekend without too much to worry about. I'm glad I got this out of the way and didn't wait.
Old 2009-01-30, 18:31   Link #115
maverickudo
Duwah!

Send a message via AIM to maverickudo
-cries- i read wikipedia....i spoiled the last few episodes for myself. i won't spoil it here though. most of us knew it was coming..but the episode was teasing you for a bit though..like..maybe she WONT die..but you knew u were lying to urself. lol it looked great. interesting choice about home birth and all. tomaya earned his oscar there.
Old 2009-01-30, 18:43   Link #116
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarSun View Post
You can't even compare the two. The last episode of AIR perfectly conveyed the emotion of loss and could put tears into eyes.

Clannad's attempt was a joke beyond all jokes.

Spoiler:

I believe the Clannad movie's execution was a lot better.. partially for not playing that stupid happy-themed Dango song.. and instead having weak little Nagisa sing it under her breath.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-01-30, 18:43   Link #117
GreatTeacherKen

. . .

Wow.

The snow looked real nice this episode, gave me some nostalgic memories of Kanon.

Speaking of nostalgia, it was cool seeing how everyone else had been doing.

The last montage was beautiful and uh. . .

. . .

I'll think I'll go off in my corner and sob now.

10/10. Painful episode, but in the best way possible. I just need some time to get over my favorite character's death.
Old 2009-01-30, 18:59   Link #118
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Im really worried about me losing interest in the remaining episodes. I have not played the game so i don't know what comes next i mean how much more are they going to cover? Is it going to more depression from here on out? or could we get some cosmic reset involving Nagisa with symbolism behind it. I understand that Nagisa is not coming back but im sure her presence will be felt through out the remainder of the series. We havent touched on the imaginary world we keep seeing at the beginning of each episode.

is anyone having these same feelings?
Old 2009-01-30, 19:03   Link #119
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Im really worried about me losing interest in the remaining episodes. I have not played the game so i don't know what comes next i mean how much more are they going to cover? Is it going to more depression from here on out? or could we get some cosmic reset involving Nagisa with symbolism behind it. I understand that Nagisa is not coming back but im sure her presence will be felt through out the remainder of the series. We havent touched on the imaginary world we keep seeing at the beginning of each episode.

is anyone having these same feelings?
Heh, answering such a question would lead to spoiling of future events. (Probably not a good idea to ask it in this thread specifically.)

Although I can say this much.. we have Ushio now, and we still have about 8 episodes left.. so that should be plenty to wrap things up over at the illusion world too.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-01-30, 19:18   Link #120
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

so sad... wow it so say that it is good, the last time that i saw something similar to this is with makoto in kanon 2006.

p.s. still sobbing, im gonna watch a comedy to balance my sadness
Closed Thread