AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-06, 12:28   Link #1
FinnMacCool

1984, Brave New World, , Farenheit 451 esque

This is kinda of a shot in the dark but does anyone know of any anime that are similar to books like 1984, farenheit 451, brave new world etc.?

In other words, an anime about an oppressive government that controls every aspect of their citizens life and destroys freedom etc. etc. It's usually pretty dark. Another word for this type of genre is dystopia.
Old 2009-12-06, 13:11   Link #2
james0246

Off the top of my head (and without knowing what you have seen previously):

Texhnolyze
Ergo Proxy
Kaiba
Now and Then, Here and There
Toward the Terra

Technically, shows like Code Geass could also be considered dystopian...but that is a pussy's dystopia, so I left them out.
Old 2009-12-06, 13:27   Link #3
Autumn Demon
~

some parts of kiba
Old 2009-12-06, 13:48   Link #4
mit7059

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-12-06, 14:12   Link #5
LeoXiao
思想工作

I second Jin-Roh.
Old 2009-12-06, 18:52   Link #6
MrMagpie
A Reasonable Man

Send a message via AIM to MrMagpie
The yaoi film Ai no Kusabi fits your criteria, as do some episodes of the anime Kino's Journey, which is the story of a young girl who travels from town to town on a motorcycle.

The anime series Kurenai also contains some elements of what you're looking for - although it takes place in modern-day Japan, much of the story is concerned with a prominent, powerful Japanese family that goes to great lengths to control every single aspect of the lives of its female members, allowing them no freedom whatsoever.
Old 2009-12-06, 21:59   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
R.O.D. TV is close, as it eventually starts evolving towards dystopia.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2009-12-07, 11:25   Link #8
FinnMacCool

Watching Now and Then, Here and THere, as per James' suggestion. So far, I really like it. I wouldn't say it's exactly the kinda thing I'm looking for, but its very dark and its really good so I like it, of course.
Old 2009-12-07, 12:12   Link #9
Qwey

Ergo Proxy is 100% what you are looking for. Its really well done, you'll enjoy it.
Old 2009-12-07, 13:11   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Given your reference to Farenheit 451, I'll suggest Toshokan Sensou. It's set in a near-future where there's a state-sponsored conflict between armed censors and armed librarians. I found the story a bit hard-to-swallow, though it struck a chord with some other AS members whose opinions I respect. The censorship story declines in importance towards the end as a romance blossoms. I actually liked the romantic components more than the dystopic ones.

Like others, I'd agree that if you haven't watched Ergo Proxy that should probably top your list.

If you're open to a couple of "retro-dystopias" or perhaps "alternate histories," I'd suggest Oh! Edo Rocket and perhaps Nijuu Mensou no Musume. The former takes place in 1842-43 though the presentation is wildly anachronistic. It puts state-sponsored repression of thought and action at the center of its often-hilarious story. In Nijuu Mensou, the main male character was involved in wartime weapons research whose consequences spill over into the postwar period. (The time period is purposely kept unspecified, but stylistically it seems to be Japan in the late 1940's and early 1950's.) This is largely an adventure show that centers around the "musume" herself and a couple of female colleagues, but it still might be of interest.

Though it's not set in the future, one of the "alternate universes" in Noein depicts a very dystopic future Japan. A few others you might consider are Planetes, Scrapped Princess, and Dennou Coil. None of these are as pertinent as Ergo Proxy, but they still have features that might fit your request.
Closed Thread