AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 34 28.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 42.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 16.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.69%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-18, 15:20   Link #241
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If its the kind of jam I think it is (some kind of ginger-pepper thing) I actually like those jams (hotpepper jam is pretty tasty)...

but its the *way* she says thats its her own special recipe and *only she* can make it that has most people pulling their security blankets of fear over their heads.
Old 2006-10-18, 19:21   Link #242
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post

If you're into Kanon looking for slapstick comedy, I suggest you stop watching it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
If he's lucky he'll visit for the comedy... get attached to the characters.. and then be completely emotionally trapped for the rest of the series <mwuhahahahahah!!!!!>
... Does anyone actually read my posts?

I simply said that Kanon at first look like just another bishoujo series ("at first" being from the descriptions I'd read various places and the screenshots). Then I said that I was glad to see that the slapstick humor was missing, as that would rob the show of the warm feeling that permeates it. I also already said that I am completely trapped by the characters (Uguu-tan FTW) and that I'm already convinced that this is way more than just another bishoujo/harem show.

As for the jam, the thing that bothers me the most is that even Nayuki doesn't know what's in it
Old 2006-10-18, 19:39   Link #243
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well, if you're running away from the jam, you'll never know the recipe.
Old 2006-10-18, 20:24   Link #244
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sorry FPB... I was really describing exactly how *I* got snafu'ed up into this kind of anime. I made the mistake of thinking "romantic comedy" somehow meant "nothing really tragic happens"... and then got blindsided a few times (AIR completely swacked me with its deeper plots and tragedy beneath the gentle humor). The original Kanon was the first and caught me off completely offguard. I had just been told "you need to watch this... all the way through."
Old 2006-10-20, 10:26   Link #245
eMpTy265
<unranked>

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
The monologue one couldn't be more wrong as it WAS lifted from the game. Someone with the PC version should do a screen-cap of that scene with Kaori and the speech text and upload it somewhere.
Dunno if it's been done already, but:

Kaori's line about Juniichi's intro being plain:

http://rapidshare.com/files/32548/0011.wav.html

Unfortunately I don't have the english patch, so:

While I'm at it, here's the file for the secret kikan:

http://rapidshare.com/files/34436/002b.wav.html

Considering the similarities, either it's a HUGE conincidence, or these things are commonplace in anime culture...

(Or we could say that Haruhi affected the past so that Kanon would have these references.. )

Last edited by eMpTy265; 2006-10-20 at 10:36.
Old 2006-10-20, 13:53   Link #246
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Considering the author of the Suzumiya novels was intentionally taking a lot of anime paradigms and spinning them on their head, I wouldn't be surprised if he had taken "classic" moments as his inspiration.

It is always kind of appallingly entertaining to watch young people get their chronologies reversed... (Man, that LOTR book is such a ripoff of DDO .... O.o) and I've already seen it applied to this version of Kanon in a couple of posts that shall not be named.
Old 2006-10-27, 23:29   Link #247
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

okay okay, I know episode 2 is way in the past now... I haven't had time to sort through all of the spoilers and things in this to see if someone mentions it... but I'm sure i recognize the girls that pop out in episode 2 around ~13:04 to ~13:40.... but I can't place them. Any ideas?
Old 2007-01-03, 15:02   Link #248
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Didn't like this episode as much as the first because of the schools parts. The beginning was fine with the jam recipe that screwed up Yuuchi's equilibrium and made everyone's voice sound like it was far off. Also the clock thing was amusing too, but only because I've actually slept through something like that, though I don't know if I made weird noises while doing it. Then it fell into the usual school scenario pitfalls with awkard side characters and girls falling on top of each other and no sense of purpose. It picked up a bit afterwards when it got somewhat interesting if a little confusing with Ayu running into every object under the sun. Also liked the cliffhanger at the end as well, but the show may start to hit the usual pitfalls I find in game conversions as it wears on. Thus, I think I'm going to view this at a rate of about an episode a week, because its still not the kind of show I can watch normally unless its in small doses.

One other small nitpick was that Sugita Tomakazu fell into his usual annoying habits with the yelping voice that annoys me and seeming indignation at everything that happens to his character. I don't know if its deliberate because the characters like that originally, but I swear he seems to interprete every character he plays the same way.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-01-03 at 15:12.
Old 2007-01-03, 15:52   Link #249
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Part of the problem here is that the character Kyon is actually a bit of a riff on the archetype of Yuuichi (as he is portrayed in the game). Rin also being a bit derivative of that stereotype. Sugita happens to play that role well, which is both helpful and damning -- I kind of view his role as Yuuichi as "comiing home to the source"
Fortunately, he is capable of playing other sorts of personalities though I can't pull his credits out of my head at the moment.

I guess my best advice is to remember this is old material and many later series riffed off of many of its elements to try and grab some glitter.
Old 2007-01-03, 16:27   Link #250
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Fortunately, he is capable of playing other sorts of personalities though I can't pull his credits out of my head at the moment.
*Steps in*
He also did Motosuwa Hideki in Chobits. Quite a bit unlike his roles of late.
Old 2007-01-03, 18:20   Link #251
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Part of the problem here is that the character Kyon is actually a bit of a riff on the archetype of Yuuichi (as he is portrayed in the game). Rin also being a bit derivative of that stereotype. Sugita happens to play that role well, which is both helpful and damning -- I kind of view his role as Yuuichi as "comiing home to the source"

I guess my best advice is to remember this is old material and many later series riffed off of many of its elements to try and grab some glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
*Steps in*
Here's what ANN has on him: Sugita Tomakazu

Old 2007-01-03, 20:35   Link #252
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
*Steps in*
Is that the guy with the manic eyes that freaks out all the time. That's basically what Sugita Tomakazu does that I don't like. It's like all his characters are manic depressive or something. He does do it well though which like Vexx said is helpful and damning at the some time (don't think I could have put it better).

Reflecting on the episode again, if Ayu were in a strategy game her dodge stat would be 0, if Makoto were in one she'd have an attack rating of 1 and if Nayuki were in one she'd be incredibly susceptible to sleep status. Also Yuuichi would apparentely be susceptible to confusion status. Nice to see loli characters with flaws instead of god powers of strength and intellegence for a change (doesn't happen often).
Old 2007-01-03, 22:23   Link #253
Skane
Anime Snark

With regards to the girls falling on top of each other, it sets up for a later encounter. If there is one thing that KyoAni seems to abhor, it is the pantsu-flash.

Cheers.
Old 2007-01-03, 22:42   Link #254
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I for one, was amazed by the lack of pantsu in that stair tumble... thumbs up.
Old 2010-07-06, 20:51   Link #255
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMpTy265 View Post

Considering the similarities, either it's a HUGE conincidence, or these things are commonplace in anime culture...

(Or we could say that Haruhi affected the past so that Kanon would have these references.. )
OMG Haruhi effects animes in the past, so if you see them after Haruhi they'll reference it somehow . When that scene happened the first that flashed into my mind was Haruhi's abnormal self-introduction, thus the line was simply hilarious to me. Aside from that I enjoyed this episode pretty well, but WTF at the jam in the beginning of the episode, also I laughed even more when I saw the Kanon section had a THREAD for the jam .
MAL
Old 2010-07-07, 02:11   Link #256
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Ok, I just got confused.

Personally, I can't stand this episode. Too much uguu~ and other catchphrases going around annoys the crap out of me, plus the plot is all over the place. But I did find Makoto trying to attack Yuuichi really funny though.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-07-07 at 05:40.
Old 2010-07-07, 14:15   Link #257
OkamiNoKaze

Hurray for "The Jam" Looks like a kind of marmalade maybe?
Old 2010-07-07, 14:16   Link #258
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I'm quite sure it's some kind of illegal substance.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Closed Thread