AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-14, 21:42   Link #19661
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'll take Rie Takana...she's only a year or so younger than I am.
Old 2012-02-14, 23:51   Link #19662
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

6.0 quake off the Oregon coast...
Old 2012-02-15, 00:11   Link #19663
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I'll take Rie Takana...she's only a year or so younger than I am.
*knocks out Ithekro with a bag of potato

she is mine.

i will also take Kawasumi Ayako and Chiwa Saito as well.
Old 2012-02-15, 00:17   Link #19664
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Never!
(There is also Chihara Minori, but I don't know if we'd mesh at all)
---------------

Senators launch new push for cybersecurity bill
Measure is aimed at safeguarding the nation's vulnerable water and power systems

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46384534...security-bill/

Hmmmmuh...Suurrre.

Old 2012-02-15, 00:28   Link #19665
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Senators launch new push for cybersecurity bill
Measure is aimed at safeguarding the nation's vulnerable water and power systems

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46384534...security-bill/

Hmmmmuh...Suurrre.

Yeah, this is pretty dumb. I have a better idea: how about not connecting those things to the internet at all?
Old 2012-02-15, 02:11   Link #19666
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Yeah, this is pretty dumb. I have a better idea: how about not connecting those things to the internet at all?
Who the hell thought connecting ANY of this to the internet was a good idea? Firing is too good for them.... hung from the edge of Hoover Dam maybe. Every engineer I know is aghast at the notion of hooking SCADA systems to a public network.
Old 2012-02-15, 02:14   Link #19667
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If the teen hackers could find a way in during the late 1980s and early 1990s, they will find a way in, period.
Old 2012-02-15, 02:24   Link #19668
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Control systems and SCADA systems were never designed with security in mind because -- they were always assumed to be on a closed network completely unconnected to any insecure points (perimeter defense). Hacking one would require breaking a physical perimeter defense (walls, guards, etc). If they're connected to the Internet now, I'll have to call "pointy headed boss"stupidity got us there.

I have read a few articles in control system journals about *creating* secure SCADA systems so they *could* be connected to public networks, though....
Old 2012-02-15, 03:43   Link #19669
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
aren't these guys Sunni and the Iranian's are Shiite?
Most of the militant groups didn't care who funded them - Sunni or Shiite. Money is money, as long as it can buy fertiliser and petrol it is good enough for them.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Control systems and SCADA systems were never designed with security in mind because -- they were always assumed to be on a closed network completely unconnected to any insecure points (perimeter defense). Hacking one would require breaking a physical perimeter defense (walls, guards, etc). If they're connected to the Internet now, I'll have to call "pointy headed boss"stupidity got us there.

I have read a few articles in control system journals about *creating* secure SCADA systems so they *could* be connected to public networks, though....
The only kind of supervisory control system I have heard or that are connected through a network are military mobilisation control systems (the red button), even which are connected through a pretty analog system that would require more mechanical engineering knowledge than computer knowledge.

I have heard about a few local proposals which certain politicians and "brainstorm teams" decide to do the same thing to certain sensitive infrastructure - most engineering heads in charge of maintenance replied with a "wire the whole shit yourself. You can't? Now fuck off." But given how security is being run with "budget cuts" and "cost-control measures", I'd say just "go ahead".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-02-15, 03:59   Link #19670
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Sheesh, how did you guys end up with those righties? Usually it's the exact opposite vis a vis America. (Of course, Connecticut Democrat Chris Dodd was earlier comparing SOPA opponents to "spoiled children".)
Canada is indeed more "left leaning" than the US. This is especially noticeable during much of the Bush Jr. years, where Canada was ruled by a Liberal majority government from 2000-2004 and a Liberal-NDP informal coalition from 2004-2006. I don't think a lot has changed socially since 2006 but a number of political factors have shifted power in favour of more right-wing sections of Canadian society.

A brief (edit: or not) history lesson since it makes more sense if you start a few years back:

From maybe 1960-93, you basically had, on a right to left spectrum, Progressive Conservatives, Liberals, and New Democratic Party. Either the PCs or Liberals would govern, the NDP would influence by threatening to siphon off left wing voters from the Liberals.

1993:
-The PCs basically imploded due to various issues (scandals, etc.) and get absolutely steamrollered by the Liberals - think going from 150 seats to 2 kind of deal.
-In Quebec, the Bloc Quebecois becomes prominent as the party of choice for Quebec separatists.
-In western Canada, which traditionally hates the Liberals for favouring central and eastern Canada and meddling with Alberta's oil industry , far right wingers form the Reform Party of Canada (later Canadian Alliance), which is wildly popular in rural parts of western Canada.

2003: realizing they can't win if they keep splitting the right wing vote, the Progressive Conservatives and Canadian Alliance merge into the Conservative Party of Canada. Which doesn't poll well because many Progressive Conservatives aren't comfortable with the new leadership and become Liberals.

late-2003: Auditor General releases report noting perhaps as much as 20% of the contracts under a $500 million advertising campaign against Quebec separatism that ran through much of the late 90s (Quebec voted to stay part of Canada in a 1995 referendum with a sub-1% margin) was paid to ad firms that did little or no work. Most of these firms are Liberal donors. While most evidence suggests that this was carried out by a small group of people who had been pushed out of power by a rival faction within the party before the news broke, this threw the brakes on what had been to that point a nigh-invincible political juggernaut (48% of vote in four party system...).

2004-2006:
-Prime Minister Paul Martin calls a slightly early election citing need for vote of confidence, wins a minority government and forms a informal coalition with the NDP that lasts until 2006, when the disagreements between the two parties become too great.
-One of the biggest shifts occurs in Quebec, where the Bloc QUebecois casts itself as the choice of even non-separatist Quebecors (Quebec is a francophone province and tends more towards a European social-democratic model than the rest of Canada) and gets many former Liberal votes.

2006: Conservative Party wins minority government (Not quite sure what caused the shift here, since I would have said 2004 was the low point for the Liberals, but I suspect people simply didn't see much point in supporting another Liberal-NDP coalition in light of the first failing in 18 months. Paul Martin resigns.

2008: Opposition votes non-confidence in Harper's government, causing an election. By this time, the recession has kicked in. Canada is doing much better than the rest of the G8 (primarily due to decisions made years earlier IMO) but nobody really wants to rock the boat. New Liberal Leader Stephane Dion's carbon tax scheme - never an easy sell - really doesn't sell well due to the economy. Dion's weak English (he's French-Canadian) doesn't help since he makes some embarassing gaffes.

2011: Another election occurs. The Conservatives focus efforts on key swing ridings, some of which they gain in (I've heard heavy targeting of socially conservative ethnic populations may have been a factor but I'm hesitant to make too much of that). New Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff fails to resonate with Canadians and alienates some of the more left leaning Liberals, who jump ship to the NDP.
-In addition, charismatic NDP leader Jack Layton - long the leader people actually liked but found a bit too wild to actually vote for - finally has his breakthrough, especially in Quebec where Bloc Quebecois supporters jump ship to the NDP in droves (Layton accomplishes this while fighting a losing battle with cancer, which claims him less than three months after the election). However, the combination of slightly higher conservative votes and Liberal defections to the NDP causing a left wing vote split allows the Conservatives to gain many seats and get the majority government they have today. The NDP forms official opposition.

Conservative Party support last election was a bit under 40% - actually pretty similar to what Chretien's Liberals managed in the late 90s. Difference being, of course, that the Liberals are roughly center on the Canadian political specturm and the Conservatives are far right, and hence the Liberals would be more representative of the country's politics and probably had higher actual "approval".

The big issue, IMO, aside from the economy favouring the incumbent and the inability of the Liberals to field a leader who can inspire people or shake the bad image from the scandal, is vote splitting on the left. That 40% is a pretty good rough indicator of the "center to right" vote in Canada, the rest being "center to left" - but the "center to left" vote is split between multiple parties (Liberal and NDP, plus a bit of Green Party or Bloc Quebecois in certain parts of the country).

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2012-02-15, 04:00   Link #19671
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

You know what? My toaster and fridge has never been a victim of network security breach.
I wonder why.

/sarcasm
Old 2012-02-15, 04:40   Link #19672
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Iran to load own nuclear fuel rods in Tehran reactor
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81E0EZ20120215
Quote:
Iran will load domestically made nuclear fuel rods into its Tehran Research Reactor on Wednesday for the first time to keep it running, a senior official told a national news agency.
That's probably the big new than they promissed...
Old 2012-02-15, 04:49   Link #19673
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Iran to load own nuclear fuel rods in Tehran reactor
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81E0EZ20120215

That's probably the big new than they promissed...
And using what is left of it to make a plutonium bomb.

And woo, boy, my country is on the headlines again :

Special Report: Iran's cat-and-mouse game on sanctions

Spoiler:

It is a great way to earn money, and a huge risk at doing so. Either way, we fuck ourselves; Iran has got pretty great ties with Malaysia, we don't trade with Iran, we get import-export issues with Malaysia. We trade with them, we get eyeballed by the people who sold us our Harpoon missiles.

Well, at least we get money from our trade. So why not?

And US isn't helping with this.

Hong Kong angry over influx of mainlanders (2:10)

This doesn't look good. At all.

POWs mark Singapore WWII anniversary (1:18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Politicians make war for young men to die in.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2012-02-15 at 10:04.
Old 2012-02-15, 12:31   Link #19674
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well they say it is to get medical grade radioactive substances (20% enrichments needed to produce)...which sort of answers the question about why that woman was stopped in Russia carrying lots of low weight radioactive metals to Iran. The kind of stuff that is only used in medical gear.
Old 2012-02-15, 13:36   Link #19675
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Proview says any ban of iPad exports hard to impose
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81E0BE20120215
Quote:
A debt-laden Chinese technology firm seeking to ban all shipments of Apple's popular iPad tablet into and out of the country has been told that China's customs authorities are unlikely to intervene in the trademark battle.
Old 2012-02-15, 13:39   Link #19676
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Proview says any ban of iPad exports hard to impose
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81E0BE20120215
If that is the same company that manufacture modems and routers, Apple must not be the only one on their tails; Linksys is probably just as happy to have them out of the electronics market too.

Old 2012-02-15, 19:41   Link #19677
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The only kind of supervisory control system I have heard or that are connected through a network are military mobilisation control systems (the red button), even which are connected through a pretty analog system that would require more mechanical engineering knowledge than computer knowledge.

I have heard about a few local proposals which certain politicians and "brainstorm teams" decide to do the same thing to certain sensitive infrastructure - most engineering heads in charge of maintenance replied with a "wire the whole shit yourself. You can't? Now fuck off." But given how security is being run with "budget cuts" and "cost-control measures", I'd say just "go ahead".
There's actually some pretty good reasons to do this, from an engineering perspective. When it comes to water and power systems you have a highly distributed network, and frequent maintenance is required. In the past, you'd have to send a guy to all these isolated reservoirs and power plants regularly to collect performance and maintenance information. Now, a lot of that can be collected automatically, and transferred by wire, vastly cutting down on maintenance costs, because you don't have to send a guy out there to check this stuff manually. It's particularly important with Wind Power, as you need to collect data from every single turbine in order to detect signs of future failure. It also makes the process of preventing overloads more efficient.

Now you need some way to transfer that data a long distance (to the maintenance engineers in their central office), and while you could build a parallel network, that's pretty expensive, so you use the internet.

Even if you did have a parallel network, it still wouldn't be invulnerable, some one could simply plug into a terminal at some isolated wind turbine in the middle of nowhere. Once you're plugged in a saboteur could mess with all the maintenance data, causing immense damage due to impeded maintenance (IE this would start happening).

The other thing the security bill was addressing (from the article) is financial networks. I hate to think what would happen if the DTCC got hacked and all the stock ownership got scrambled (or just wiped)
Old 2012-02-15, 20:09   Link #19678
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
You know what? My toaster and fridge has never been a victim of network security breach.
I wonder why.

/sarcasm
Ah, you haven't seen Next Year's Models..... we're doomed
Old 2012-02-15, 20:12   Link #19679
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Probably still using an old analog toast that only toasts bread. And don't get me started on the fridge....

What is this, 1980?

Old 2012-02-15, 20:18   Link #19680
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Ah, you haven't seen Next Year's Models..... we're doomed
Next Years models... don't they already have refrigerates with LCD screens connected to the internet?

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international