AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-11-05, 16:32   Link #1
amjzz

So there are 2 kinds of IP?

I just knew there was a IP that allowed me to surf on the web....but recently discovered that there is a PC IP......

Um...for what is this IP used?.

How can i reset it?.

So, each time i go to a website my IP gets logged on the site, i know that but which IP?.

Um......i guess i should reset the pc ip too if want to surf with safety....?
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-05, 16:49   Link #2
cyberbeing

I assume you are talking about private and public IP?

The only IP that would ever get logged on a website is your public IP (the IP your ISP gives you to access the internet).

Your private IP are used for identifying multiple machines in something like a home or corporate network. There is usually no reason to change your private IP.
Old 2008-11-05, 17:06   Link #3
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Your private IP is something like 192.168.*.*. This is assigned to machines inside private networks, and nobody outside sees this. Logically, each private network has its own chain of 192.168.*.* starting form 192.168.0.1, so there's no value in logging that, right?

Servers log your public IP. The only way to really "surf safely" in that regard is to use proxies, but that makes your surfing experience that much slower.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-05, 21:57   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Just to expand on what Claies said, your "private" IP is the IP you have on your local area network.

Think about it in terms of layers. You're connected to your router (or a modem-router). The router acts as the controller for its own local area network (LAN). You can connect many computers to that router, and each of them are on the network. The router is the central connection point, and it assigns the IPs to each computer. As you know, the IP is simply the way that each computer is identified.

Now scale it up to the internet. Your modem connects to your internet service provider's servers, and those servers assign an IP to the device that is connected to the modem. If it's a computer, then the computer gets that IP. If it's your router, then the router takes that IP. This IP, being assigned by your internet service provider, is the IP that all of the other systems on the network will use to communicate with you.

The router performs a service known as network address translation (NAT) to handle the crossover between data from the internet and data to and from its own local area network. Let's say your router has given you the IP of 192.168.10.10, but your internet-facing IP is 170.7.8.9. You want to access a website at 10.7.100.230 - this is an address that is outside of your local area network, but it's on the internet. The request is sent to the router, which then sends the request to your ISP. The request originates from 170.7.8.9. Ultimately the request gets to 10.7.100.230, which then sends data back to 170.7.8.9. The data reaches your router, which then passes the data back to you - 192.168.10.10. The responding data from 10.7.100.230 (the internet server you wanted to reach) was destined for 170.7.8.9 (your internet IP, as held by your router), and your router translated it back to you (192.168.10.10) because it knew that you originated the request.

That's more or less how it works. The big idea is that there can be networks within networks. The internet is one huge network, and yet behind each router is a smaller network. There can even be networks behind networks (routers connected to routers, with each router handling their own individual computers). To that end, also recognize that if I'm behind a router and have IP 180.8.9.10 from my router, and your router has assigned you as 180.8.9.10, there is no problem because we're both on separate networks and the only systems seeing those IPs are other computers on our networks and our routers. Your router can't see what's behind my router, just as mine can't see into yours. 192.168.x.x is the default home router IP setting, but note also that those IPs can be anything you'd like.
Old 2008-11-06, 01:30   Link #5
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Couldn't rep you, but thank you for +1 knowledge.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 22:47   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There are three network address ranges that have been designated as private by the Internet Engineering Task Force:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

None of these addresses are used on the public Internet. Packets sent to these addresses over the public network will be dropped by all routers. They are designed for internal, private network use only.

Most home and office users are connected to the Internet via a router that employs "network address translation." Software in the router intercepts outbound data packets coming from your computer with its private address and uses the router's external address as the source of the packet instead. The software maintains a list of the connections it is "masquerading" so it can know what to do with packets sent in reply to a request. So you send a request for a web page; the request is translated so it appears to come from your router; the web server sends the page to the router's address in reply; then, the router forwards the page to your computer based on the mappings in its list.

There really aren't two different types of addresses. It's just that these addresses were set aside for private use only. Within the private network they work just as well as "normal" public IP addresses.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 03:37   Link #7
ricedragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjzz View Post
I just knew there was a IP that allowed me to surf on the web....but recently discovered that there is a PC IP......

Um...for what is this IP used?.

How can i reset it?.

So, each time i go to a website my IP gets logged on the site, i know that but which IP?.

Um......i guess i should reset the pc ip too if want to surf with safety....?

the ip that the site logged is NOT the private ip. at first look at the post i though you mean IP4 or IP6.
ricedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 19:12   Link #8
Mr Bland
Photographers are sexy.

Well there is 127.0.0.1 which is your local address. There is also 192.168.1.1 which is (usually) used to access your router. You also have a subnet mask, which may differ per person.

you can also use websites like http://www.ipchicken.com to find out your IP address, and more advanced information about your IP.
Mr Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 15:50   Link #9
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
There are three network address ranges that have been designated as private by the Internet Engineering Task Force:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

None of these addresses are used on the public Internet. Packets sent to these addresses over the public network will be dropped by all routers. They are designed for internal, private network use only.
Actually, there's another which defines even more "Special-Use IPv4 Addresses" (the RFC's actual title), including RFC 1918-defined IP space. You may have seen one of them if you are plugged into something and you never receive a DHCP-assigned IP address, usually a 169.254.xx.xx address.

Further, Hamachi uses net 5 for hosts on its pseudo-VPN. This block is presently unassigned (near the top of this list) by the IANA.

Another thing to note is that frequently, addresses in the 127 netblock are used as replies to "blackhole queries", e.g. 127.0.0.2 could mean it's in one blacklist, while 127.0.0.3 means it's in another, or 127.0.10.1 means it's in all the blacklists that operator maintains. What the return addresses mean depends entirely on the operator in question. In any event, this isn't to mean that it's an operable IP address; it's merely an indicator.

Hope this helps.

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote