AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-25, 13:42   Link #261
Rookie103

BBFC Wins Appeal, Manhunt 2 Banned Again

The High Court of Justice has overturned the Video Appeals Committee's decision to allow the sale of Manhunt 2 in the U.K., throwing Rockstar's effort to get the game on the shelves back into confusion.

The British Board of Film Classification, which provides videogame ratings in the U.K., had originally refused to issue a classification for Manhunt 2, preventing it from being sold. An edited version of the game, which was downgraded from an ESRB rating of AO (Adults Only) to M (Mature) in North America was also refused classification, but an appeal by Rockstar to the country's Video Appeals Committee determined the game could be given an 18+ rating, legalizing its sale.

The BBFC quickly moved to challenge that decision, saying, "The VAC judgment, if allowed to stand, would have fundamental implications with regard to all the Board's decisions, including those turning upon questions of unacceptable levels of violence." The game remained unavailable in the U.K. while the BBFC appeal proceeded.

During yesterday's appeal hearing, according to a Metro report, the BBFC argued that the overturning of its Manhunt 2 ban by the VAC could have serious implications for its role in the future, "Not only in relation to videogames, but generally." That appeal succeeded when the High Court ruled the VAC decision made "a clear error of law" with regards to assessing the question of harm caused by the game. The judge ruled the committee must now "reconsider" its decision.

Manhunt 2 was released just prior to Halloween, 2007, following lengthy battles with the BBFC, ESRB and other agencies. The game was met with mediocre reviews, receiving a Metacritic score of 64 for the Wii version and 67 on the PlayStation 2, and has been largely forgotten everywhere except, somewhat ironically, the U.K.

Update: Rockstar has issued a brief statement in response to the High Court ruling, saying, "We believe the VAC decision was correct and do not understand the court's decision to expend further public resources to censor a game that contains content well within the bounds established by the BBFC's 18-plus ratings certification."

The VAC's "reconsideration" of its decision to allow the sale of Manhunt 2 is expected to take place quickly, according to GamesIndustry, and a decision against Rockstar is expected to end the process, as permission to appeal the matter to the House of Lords is unlikely.
Old 2008-01-25, 14:06   Link #262
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I don't remember hearing anything about Manhunt being revolutionary as far as gore goes.
From what you've quoted not many people did...

What exactly was so great about it to call for all the censorship?
Old 2008-01-31, 05:52   Link #263
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Discussion of Anonymous vs the Church of Scientology had reached 36 posts and showed no signs of stopping. To keep it from continuing to interfere with the usual flow of this topic I have moved it to a new thread where it can be discussed without intermittent interruptions from other news stories.

Please continue discussion in the new thread: Anonymous vs Church of Scientology

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2008-01-31, 18:18   Link #264
User65554
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I don't remember hearing anything about Manhunt being revolutionary as far as gore goes.

Well, in Britain at least, there was some major controversy over a killing that took place that involed the first Manhunt game, although the allegations of a link was later disproved, when it transpired that the game was not owned by the killer, but the victim. I suppose they just blocked it as they wanted to avoid the 'manhunt' of the video games industry in the weeks that followed the controversy...
Old 2008-02-01, 08:58   Link #265
Rookie103

Saw Videogame Unveiled

For better or worse, the notorious Saw franchise has crossed the threshold into gaming, with a videogame tie-in for the franchise expected late next year.

Brash Entertainment announced the upcoming game earlier today, saying it is working closely with Lions Gate and Twisted Pictures, as well as franchise creators Leigh Whannel and James Wan, "ensuring the game pulls no punches and delivers the horrifying suspense and disbelief that has floored fans worldwide." The game "will have its own unique storyline, while answering questions left unanswered by the Saw films," according to a GamePolitics report.

The Saw videogame is being developed for next-gen platforms and will be powered by the Unreal Engine 3, and is expected to ship in October 2009 to coincide with the release of the fifth installment in the Saw franchise, as well as to give the ESRB time to brace itself. More information is available at www.whoisjigsaw.com.
Old 2008-02-11, 21:56   Link #266
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

A gruesome massacre happened in a house in Adachi, Tokyo.

3 adults, father, mother, and grandmother were killed, and the sole surviver is a 15 year old boy who had both of his hands severed. The boy said their father did this. The details are not yet known about this shocking incident.
Old 2008-02-11, 22:37   Link #267
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post

What VK-Pitt said. Mistakes in the investigation were made, but it was enough of an implication to raise some eyebrows at the time, I guess. Either way, now that eyes are on Manhunt, it's nature is definitely controversial, whether "well within the bounds established by the BBFC's 18-plus ratings certification" or not.

Not only that, Manhunt wasn't even a good game. In fact, it sucked (I played for an hour then had to stop because it was so God-awful retarded, repetitive, and overall a disgusting concept). Other than it's shock value, it isn't even worth mentioning. I can't see Manhunt 2 being any different, except maybe more bloody and profane.

I shudder at the thought of a Saw game. The movies were bad enough. In all meanings of the word. They really don't need to make a video game based on it. (*BARF*)

Censorship is a subject that has been thrown around so much, it's hard to know who's right or wrong anymore. Assuming that there even IS a right or wrong.
Old 2008-02-13, 09:49   Link #268
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
Author Terry Pratchett Diagnosed with Alzheimer's
Quote:
In a letter published on the website of artist Paul Kidby, the writer said the condition was behind a "phantom stroke" he had earlier this year.

Pratchett said his statement should be interpreted as "I am not dead" and that he had taken the news "philosophically" and "possibly with a mild optimism".

The Discworld author, 59, has sold more than 55 million books worldwide.

"I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while," he wrote in a letter headed 'An Embuggerance'.

"But because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news."

The author said work was continuing on his latest works, Nation and Unseen Academicals, and that there was "time for at least a few more books yet".

"All other things being equal, I expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments."

"Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful," he continued, saying it was "too soon to tell" if the condition was immediately life-threatening.
damn, this is a shocker.
Old 2008-02-25, 00:04   Link #269
bluekurak

A dangerous or is it in sg?

Gang of 6 arrested over Geylang killing

SIX men and two women were arrested on Sunday in connection with the brutal attack on a 26-year-old part-time salesman in Geylang early on Saturday.

Mr Seah Boon Lai died from severe injuries, which included a deep gash on the back of his head and gaping neck wounds, after he was set upon by the group at about 6.30am on Saturday at Geylang Lorong 10.

He was taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital and died at about 7am.

Police said on Monday morning that the six suspects were arrested in various parts of Singapore and will be charged in court on Tuesday for murder.

Mr Seah's stepfather, temple caretaker Koh Boon Hock, 43, said the part-time salesman had been beaten up in the area last Thursday when he and his brother went there to collect $800 owed to him by an acquaintance. But neither was seriously injured.

But Mr Seah returned to Geylang Lorong 10 on Saturday morning and was fatally attacked this time.

Mr Koh said as far as he knew, his stepson was not facing any financial trouble, although 'finances were tight as he had two children and one more on the way'.

Mr Seah's wife of seven years is five months pregnant with their third child.
Old 2008-02-25, 00:23   Link #270
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is terrible... but it isn't really international. I could bury the forum in local news stories of equal tragedy and demonstrations of the pathetic behavior of gangs. My sympathies to the family but ... is there a *point* to posting this? Some discussion angle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekurak View Post
Gang of 6 arrested over Geylang killing

SIX men and two women were arrested on Sunday in connection with the brutal attack on a 26-year-old part-time salesman in Geylang early on Saturday.
Old 2008-02-25, 00:46   Link #271
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

@Vexx,

I have no idea why this is posted here, either.

Only thing I can think of is that the only reason why murders get so much coverage in Singapore, is because they're pretty damned rare in the first place.
Old 2008-02-27, 14:10   Link #272
NightShade
Above and Beyond Fan

Send a message via MSN to NightShade
Euros totally owning dollars

I just read in news that now 1 euro = 1.50 dollars jeez! i would paste the news but its in spanish :P
mmm i will paste it anyways
http://www.elmundo.es/mundodinero/20...204065246.html
Here is it for the ones that can read spanish

i just hope that the new american president stop playing the war like bush and stop expending soo much money in war....
This totally affecting my country as we use dollars jeez

Anyways what are you opinions about this?
Old 2008-02-27, 14:16   Link #273
Dxon
Inactive Member

Goood. ^_^ I can get things online bought with dollars for a far less price than Americans! >;D
Old 2008-02-27, 14:17   Link #274
NightShade
Above and Beyond Fan

Send a message via MSN to NightShade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxon View Post
Goood. ^_^ I can get things online bought with dollars for a far less price than Americans! >;D
Lol :P
funny :P
Old 2008-02-27, 14:57   Link #275
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShade View Post
I just read in news that now 1 euro = 1.50 dollars jeez! i would paste the news but its in spanish :P
mmm i will paste it anyways
http://www.elmundo.es/mundodinero/20...204065246.html
Here is it for the ones that can read spanish

i just hope that the new american president stop playing the war like bush and stop expending soo much money in war....
This totally affecting my country as we use dollars jeez

Anyways what are you opinions about this?
It's a more complex problem than just war spending. It has to do with a weakening US economy and low interest rates. As the US heads into recession, inflation starts to increase. Normally the fed would raise interest rates which would help strengthen the dollar and lower inflatrion. However, with the weak housing market, the fed has been cutting rates, which further weakens the dollar. That may help in the short term, but in the long run it's just going to make things worse.

Anyway, a weak dollar isn't necessarily a bad thing. It makes foreign imports more expensive, and US exports cheaper. This could help trigger growth in the manufacturing sector which has been losing jobs to cheap overseas labor for decades. This could also help with the trade deficit with a number of countries.

Though I think the dollar would have to get a lot weaker before that happens considering companies would have to pretty much build new factories int he US since they sold, stripped or tore down the ones they were using before moving operations overseas, which would be a huge investment.
Old 2008-03-05, 12:59   Link #276
Pendevous
Yoroshiku
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Pendevous
Dubai's Mile-long bridge set for March Construction

Quote:
Here we were thinking that Minnesota's next-gen St. Anthony Falls Bridge was kicking up the next generation of mega engineering a notch from even the quake-proof Bay Bridge Skyway. But leave it to Dubai to build it way harder, faster and stronger—or, at least in the case of this newly approved design from New York's Fxfowle architects, way cooler.

As if the Burg Dubai tower wasn't already taking the worldwide skyscraper race to new heights, this as-yet-unnamed span will be the world's largest arch bridge, with 2000 vehicles set to cross its 12 lanes—per hour, in each direction—when it's slated for completion in 2012. At 670 ft. tall, Dubai's next super structure will stand higher than the George Washington Bridge (604 ft.) but fall short of San Francisco's existing Golden Gate Bridge (746 ft.).
Old 2008-03-05, 16:30   Link #277
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendevous View Post
Seems like they're cheating a bit on the length. It looks more like two bridges are joining up on that little island there, rather than it being one mile long bridge.

Still, you gotta love Dubai. It looks like it's right out of a sci fi movie.
Old 2008-03-05, 17:19   Link #278
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... at least the neo-robber barons of oil are building some very cool architecture somewhere in the world :/
Old 2008-03-05, 19:55   Link #279
Slice of Life
eyewitness

On the other hand, I'm glad they're building it somewhere (else), and not on the nice wood covered hills behind my office windows.
Old 2008-03-10, 16:04   Link #280
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Mecha in space at last! Shuttle astronauts are today constructing Dextre, a giant robot built by the Canadian space agency.

Dextre today, Gunbuster tomorrow!

http://www.espace.gc.ca/asc/eng/miss...23/default.asp
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international