Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-28, 12:44   Link #16161
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
I've read somewhere that Kim Jong Il's recent trip to Russia was aimed at bettering ties between the two former allies, and in the basket there were Russian plans for building natural gas pipeline trough the Korean peninsula among other things.

And the earthquakes didn't deter the Japanese from digging a tunnel between Honshu and Hokkaido.
But I don't think that tunnel matches the size and capability to that of the Eurotunnel. If they are going to build something of that size and length between Korea and Japan, it would have been quite dangerous given the fault lines in that area.

Marketwatch is starting to enjoy using the word "downgrade".

Irene downgraded

And also....

Maybe a foretelling of things to come?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-08-28, 14:15   Link #16162
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
but a underwater tunnel would be Gozilla proof.
Nothing is Godzilla proof.
Old 2011-08-28, 22:33   Link #16163
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Powell says Cheney taking 'cheap shots' in book
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...08-28-15-12-10
Old 2011-08-28, 23:05   Link #16164
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Powell says Cheney taking 'cheap shots' in book
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...08-28-15-12-10
Basically, the whole book is a view into "Cheney's magical world of fantasy" that he lives in. He doesn't react well to having support his assertions.
Old 2011-08-29, 02:17   Link #16165
Tom Bombadil

I sometimes doubt what these "journalists" were thinking when they wrote their articles.

China moves Tibet hardliner to heavily Catholic province

Quote:
The hardline Chinese official removed last week as Communist Party chief of restive Tibet has been made head of the province in the center of contention over China's Catholics, giving him an influential role in another sensitive religious issue.
The title got me interested. I mean, there is a heavily Catholic province in China that I don't know about? Which that may be? Lol, behold:
Quote:
Hebei, with a population of 70 million, is home to roughly a quarter of China's 8-12 million Roman Catholics.
What make them to report the numbers in such a round about way? Let's say the numbers are correct, and we are going to be generous with the estimate, then that only make at most 4.29% percent of the population of the province Catholic, doesn't it? Where is the heavily catholic in this? Why do they have the number of the population of the province and the number of overall number of Catholics in all China in the same sentence? I know there is "a quarter of" in there, but how many of the readers are going to make the calculation when they read the article?

And sure, taking care of the 4.3% percent of the Catholics is the main reason that this guy is made the head of the province. I mean, really?

Given the special position of the province (it literally surround Beijing on all sides), loyalty as a dog is what they are looking for in him, and if he does well, he might get a position in Beijing after that.
Old 2011-08-29, 04:51   Link #16166
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Basically, the whole book is a view into "Cheney's magical world of fantasy" that he lives in. He doesn't react well to having support his assertions.
Too bad than he can't make the difference betweem his fantasy and reality.
Old 2011-08-29, 07:14   Link #16167
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
I sometimes doubt what these "journalists" were thinking when they wrote their articles.

China moves Tibet hardliner to heavily Catholic province

The title got me interested. I mean, there is a heavily Catholic province in China that I don't know about? Which that may be? Lol, behold:

What make them to report the numbers in such a round about way? Let's say the numbers are correct, and we are going to be generous with the estimate, then that only make at most 4.29% percent of the population of the province Catholic, doesn't it? Where is the heavily catholic in this? Why do they have the number of the population of the province and the number of overall number of Catholics in all China in the same sentence? I know there is "a quarter of" in there, but how many of the readers are going to make the calculation when they read the article?

And sure, taking care of the 4.3% percent of the Catholics is the main reason that this guy is made the head of the province. I mean, really?

Given the special position of the province (it literally surround Beijing on all sides), loyalty as a dog is what they are looking for in him, and if he does well, he might get a position in Beijing after that.
Or a member of the inner circle of the CCCP.

Might as well let him helm one of the aircraft carriers after China built 3 more to invade Taiwan with - he makes the perfect model for a "glorious war hero". *sarcastic*

EDIT :

Japan Puts On Elects New Sanitary Pad Premier

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-08-29 at 07:46.
Old 2011-08-29, 08:21   Link #16168
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

They were pretty quick to elect the next guy, though I suppose they probably decided it in advance before Kan resigned.

But, eh, this guy doesn't seem particularly charismatic to me...

It feels like the DPJ is just LDP 2.0. They have no excuse, because they hold large majorities in parliament...
Old 2011-08-29, 09:41   Link #16169
solomon

Aside from Mr. Lions Mane, when in the HELL have Japanese leaders been charismatic?

Honestly, I can see why the Japanese really don't give a hoot about politics. NOTHING EVER GETS DONE!
Old 2011-08-29, 10:01   Link #16170
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Aside from Mr. Lions Mane, when in the HELL have Japanese leaders been charismatic?

Honestly, I can see why the Japanese really don't give a hoot about politics. NOTHING EVER GETS DONE!
Very true. Japan needs some reform methinks...
Old 2011-08-29, 10:52   Link #16171
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Big oil companies may have to give up Iraq gas
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77S1TO20110829
Old 2011-08-29, 11:32   Link #16172
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Big oil companies may have to give up Iraq gas
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77S1TO20110829
Quote:
savannah05 wrote:
THe idea that Iraqi oil and gas would pay for the expenses of the US military was a liberal fantasy, or still is depending on which hermit you ask. The invasion of Iraq was about reducing risk to the American State, on the energy, trade routes, and allies fronts. Anyone who believed other wise is either an idiot or a media sheeple. And if you thought invading another country would some how increase the economic atctivity in the domestic US, A you were right, the defense industry is one of the largest employers, in the United States, and B everything comes to an end, unless you live in academia.

i love this comment, the Right is blaming the Left for the Iraq war
Old 2011-08-29, 12:11   Link #16173
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its even worse... poor Savannah05 apparently can't even remember more than two years ago. Those of us paying attention remember when the Bush Administration made that very assertion that the oil/gas revenues from Iraq would cover the costs and that's why we could leave the war costs "off the books". But then, we also see that Savannah's assertion fails because they "prove it" by calling anyone names who challenges it.

Verbal thuggery Mussolini would be proud of

Anyway.. this strident and increasing tendency to rewrite facts and blow confusion about does not bode well for what is left of US democracy.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ignorance is just as good as knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov.
Old 2011-08-29, 12:17   Link #16174
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Its even worse... poor Savannah05 apparently can't even remember more than two years ago. Those of us paying attention remember when the Bush Administration made that very assertion that the oil/gas revenues from Iraq would cover the costs and that's why we could leave the war costs "off the books". But then, we also see that Savannah's assertion fails because they "prove it" by calling anyone names who challenges it.

Verbal thuggery Mussolini would be proud of

Anyway.. this strident and increasing tendency to rewrite facts and blow confusion about does not bode well for what is left of US democracy.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ignorance is just as good as knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov.
The Right is now calling Bush as a Liberal.
Old 2011-08-29, 19:17   Link #16175
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
The Right is now calling Bush as a Liberal.
Bush Sr. is definitely a "liberal" by the standards of these neo-tards, as is Dole, Reagan, Ford, Nixon, and OMG! Eisenhower.

Bush, Jr. was simply not focused enough on the goals of people like Cheny and the Koch brothers and their ilk - so he wasn't sufficiently in line with their goals.

http://www.regressiveantidote.net/Ar...y_Species.html
is actually a pretty on-target assessment of the plutocrat war to destroy the uppity middle class that appeared in the 20th century. Even Eisenhower called these plutocrats and their minions "stupid" (exact words). Where *are* those guillotines?
Old 2011-08-29, 19:39   Link #16176
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
is actually a pretty on-target assessment of the plutocrat war to destroy the uppity middle class that appeared in the 20th century. Even Eisenhower called these plutocrats and their minions "stupid" (exact words). Where *are* those guillotines?
In a few more hurricanes.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

Old 2011-08-29, 19:45   Link #16177
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Bush Sr. is definitely a "liberal" by the standards of these neo-tards, as is Dole, Reagan, Ford, Nixon, and OMG! Eisenhower.

Bush, Jr. was simply not focused enough on the goals of people like Cheny and the Koch brothers and their ilk - so he wasn't sufficiently in line with their goals.

Reagan and Nixon would be too liberal to win the Republican Nomination if they were running today.
Old 2011-08-29, 20:19   Link #16178
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Dole was alright, but the Democrats had his number, so the last "old warhorse" was put out to pasture along with the old ideals. Basically the remains of the Republican party figure they can't win using the old ways since the Democratic party changed a lot in the 1960s to 1980s to counter Nixon and Reagan. Clinton is not an old timey Democrat, and niether is Obama.
Old 2011-08-29, 21:07   Link #16179
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

As I said earlier, 100 years ago the Republicans were more like the modern Democrats and vice versa. Well, not entirely. The Republicans of 1911 were the party of the Northeast and Midwest and favored high tariffs. (They were very pro-business, but the tariffs somewhat made up for that.) The Democrats of 1911 were the party of the South and West and especially before the Civil War favored smaller government and farming interests (think of Thomas Jefferson, often said to be the founder of the modern Democratic Party, as well as Andrew Jackson). At the same time though, they were also heavily represented by new immigrants in the inner cities, especially the Irish. (Enter the Kennedys.)

And it was the Republicans who spearheaded the original Progressive Era in the early 1900s, such as Wisconsin Senator Robert LaFollette and of course Theodore Roosevelt. Democrat William Jennings Bryan meanwhile ran for President in 1896 vowing to establish free silver along with the gold standard. I'm not sure whether that would've fit on the left or right sides, but Bryan's proposal was quite popular in the West (especially in states with large silver deposits). Bryan was also an extremely popular fundamentalist evangelist, and about 30 years later he served as the prosecutor during the Scopes Trial. Imagine a modern-day Democrat in that position.

It's difficult to say when exactly the poles began shifting, but one could most likely draw the line at the election of conservative, small-government Warren Harding in 1920 and certainly with his successor Calvin Coolidge (Ronald Reagan's favorite president). Woodrow Wilson was the first big-government Democrat (though his stance on civil liberties during World War I left a lot to be desired). And then culture clashes and debate over Vietnam added the whole cultural definition. In a nutshell, conservative Southerners were alienated by mostly Northern hippies and went to their former arch-nemises. But some indescrepancies persisted; John F. Kennedy was actually a friend of Sen. Joe McCarthy and even defended him at some points. He only joined the Senate in censure when he was pressured. Meanwhile my grandma from Connecticut hasn't voted for any Republican since at least Reagan, but she's still a registered Republican.
Old 2011-08-29, 22:36   Link #16180
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Bank of America to sell China bank stake for $8.3 billion
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77S2MO20110830

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international