Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-08-25, 07:21   Link #3901
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamadooddood View Post
Shido is literally the only guy, or for some of them, person they trust. There's no way they're going to end up with anyone else. For each girl, ending up alone is just as bad because that'd mean that he'll be breaking their trust. (This last part is also why no romantic resolution, or worse, Shido dying for real, is just as unlikely.)

Therefore, the only way that could happen is if all the other girls die and Tohka is the only one who survives. Which would break Shido's promise to Tohka save all of them. In fact, even one girl dying (under any circumstances, mind) would already render the promise broken. Furthermore this would also be sure to enrage the fans and cause any future works from the author to end up being super-unpopular.
I don't see how we can say that the spirits can't or won't learn to trust anybody else now that Shidou has opened them up tot he world. That seems to be assuming a lot.

Quote:
Wow, all bases covered. Retconning things to the extreme. I wonder how a sequel would look like.
It's not retconning a thing, actually. It just gives a way that the game story can happen without disrupting the story already in the anime and novels, so it can still go either canon or non-canon.

Quote:
Not really, as I see it he only gives them as much love and care as they need. Just that Tohka needs the most. I pointed it out in an earlier post (my last block post lol).

It's not a law per se (or even practically one), but more of a rule, which would be a more general case. Laws are far stricter than you make them out to be.
Actually, yes. From an in-series point of view, the only actually romantic moments (beyond Shidou just trying to save the spirit in question) have gone to Tohka, and he was clearly and honestly impressed with Tohka's outfit in their second date. (during the whole triple dat emadness) It's romantic moments like those that make Tohka; the leader of the pack; you don't see him being honestly attracted/impressed like that with the other girls.
From an out-of-series point of view, you also just pointed out how the author is focusing so much on the relationship between Shidou and Tohka over the other girls. Because of this, Yoshino and the Yamai twins have fallen out of focus and plot relevance since the conclusion of their arcs.

I could say something about that, but it still doesn't change how the author is making it pretty clear that Tohka is almost locked in to win, assuming there's a solidified winner.

Quote:
And the last chapter of volume 8 is the start of everything serious... ok not really, because there's still Spirit 6. The last lighthearted chapters would be the first 4 chapters of Spirit 6's arc. After which there will be no more lightheartedness. Except for the SS.
......woah. Where'd this come from?
Old 2013-08-25, 08:07   Link #3902
Riki
ランダム王

see what i meant with Speculations/theory causing havoc in every way?
Old 2013-08-25, 08:11   Link #3903
iamadooddood
NOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
I don't see how we can say that the spirits can't or won't learn to trust anybody else now that Shidou has opened them up tot he world. That seems to be assuming a lot.
As of now at least, because as I see it even if it's not possible it's extremely difficult.

Quote:
It's not retconning a thing, actually. It just gives a way that the game story can happen without disrupting the story already in the anime and novels, so it can still go either canon or non-canon.
I mean Rinne's retconning power even extended to here.

Quote:
Actually, yes. From an in-series point of view, the only actually romantic moments (beyond Shidou just trying to save the spirit in question) have gone to Tohka, and he was clearly and honestly impressed with Tohka's outfit in their second date. (during the whole triple dat emadness) It's romantic moments like those that make Tohka; the leader of the pack; you don't see him being honestly attracted/impressed like that with the other girls.
From an out-of-series point of view, you also just pointed out how the author is focusing so much on the relationship between Shidou and Tohka over the other girls. Because of this, Yoshino and the Yamai twins have fallen out of focus and plot relevance since the conclusion of their arcs.

I could say something about that, but it still doesn't change how the author is making it pretty clear that Tohka is almost locked in to win, assuming there's a solidified winner.
Wasn't that because Tohka was the first girl he ended up meeting for the triple date so his mind would have been at its clearest?

I see it as because she needs the romantic moments to reassure herself, much more so than the other girls. As in if she didn't have any romantic moments with him then she'd be so depressed that her mental state would have a real risk of being unstable. As for the other girls who aren't that reliant on him, that's what the side stories are for aren't they?

Be that as it may, I don't think there'll be a solidified winner to begin with.

Also, let me ask: Suppose Origami becomes a Spirit and gets captured by him. Would she fall out of focus? If so, how compared to Tohka?

Quote:
......woah. Where'd this come from?
Volume 5's pattern.

Ok fine, not 4 chapters, maybe 3 and a half. Because as the story progresses, the number of lighthearted chapters in such a block will also slowly decrease. (I'm not counting epilogues... but the final arc will consist of multiple volumes and only one epilogue at the end anyway.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riki View Post
see what i meant with Speculations/theory causing havoc in every way?
And that is a bad thing how?

Anime Saimoe Tournament 2013 is screwed up. Everyone's argument is invalid.
iamadooddood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 08:19   Link #3904
ImperialFlameGod8190

riki its my fault I guess im tired of people who don't use logic and complain when all the signs were there that they were well wrong.
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 08:43   Link #3905
Algester

Quote:
About whether how many girls will win, or who will win, it's true that Tohka may be appearing to be leading. But saying she will definitely win in the end is a bit far. Here's why.

First: let's list down all the possible endings:

One girl wins
No girl wins
Shido dies
At least 1 girl dies
All but one girl dies
All the girls die
Everyone dies (downer ending!)
Harem ending (win-win)

If I missed any out feel free to point it out and I'll edit this post or make a new one.

Shido is literally the only guy, or for some of them, person they trust. There's no way they're going to end up with anyone else. For each girl, ending up alone is just as bad because that'd mean that he'll be breaking their trust. (This last part is also why no romantic resolution, or worse, Shido dying for real, is just as unlikely.)

Therefore, the only way that could happen is if all the other girls die and Tohka is the only one who survives. Which would break Shido's promise to Tohka save all of them. In fact, even one girl dying (under any circumstances, mind) would already render the promise broken. Furthermore this would also be sure to enrage the fans and cause any future works from the author to end up being super-unpopular.

Therefore, only one possibility can ever come to my mind: a harem ending.

I shall try and come up with a few laws of harem shows.
  • The more balanced the harem is, the less likely the first girl is to win, and the more likely it is for the harem to have a no ending or harem ending.
  • The more important the male side characters of similar age to the protagonist are, the less balanced the harem.
Good enough so far?

I'll try to come up with others as well as fix these ones if needed and finalise a list once everyone here's satisfied.

Wow, all bases covered. Retconning things to the extreme. I wonder how a sequel would look like.

Only thing I've confirmed is not canon is the What If route... still no further progress.

Because of something Miku did in that chapter, other than that.

She got everyone except Tohka, who was wearing earplugs.

He hasn't gone desperate enough to do a limit break and unlock the powers he seals, I presume.

Now where's that fanart of him using all the Angels at the same time?

Also the toll that using the powers has on his body.

And again I ask: Does Miku even need Shiori anymore?

Further appearances of Shiori are best relegated to side stories, thanks.

No one here did?

How did you come up with the theory that they couldn't? :O

Origami's not a Spirit. Not as of the VN, anyway.

However, I'll be waiting for fandiscs and that imminent sequel.

Well said.

And why would it? Doujinshi and VN (Kurumi route) didn't give me that impression...

Not really, as I see it he only gives them as much love and care as they need. Just that Tohka needs the most. I pointed it out in an earlier post (my last block post lol).

It's not a law per se (or even practically one), but more of a rule, which would be a more general case. Laws are far stricter than you make them out to be.

Hell yeah.

There's Yamai, but not Yoshino or Miku? I cry foul.

But what about school? I think most is they'll all go touring around the Spirit world lol.

Simple. If all else fails, date them. The same holds true even if it's Phantom or the First Spirit Shido is dealing with.

And the last chapter of volume 8 is the start of everything serious... ok not really, because there's still Spirit 6. The last lighthearted chapters would be the first 4 chapters of Spirit 6's arc. After which there will be no more lightheartedness. Except for the SS.

Read top of post~

What.

There you go.

No, he will be deemed dangerous only if he loses control of the powers. (Or if he abuses them, but no way he's gonna do that.)
Dont we have Kurumi... or perhaps its just because of her different presences in space-time AKA clones I dunno... but thats where I base my theory Spirits don't die
Algester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 08:50   Link #3906
iamadooddood
NOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
riki its my fault I guess im tired of people who don't use logic and complain when all the signs were there that they were well wrong.
Hey, I did use logic, and even if I turn out to be wrong I accept it, but until then it's fair game.

Also, I was adding on to your argument and supporting it. Now even that is not allowed? >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algester View Post
Dont we have Kurumi... or perhaps its just because of her different presences in space-time AKA clones I dunno... but thats where I base my theory Spirits don't die
The real Kurumi would have died in volume 4 chapter 1 if not for Shido's intervention.

Also Miku in the last chapter of her arc (before her epilogue).

Anime Saimoe Tournament 2013 is screwed up. Everyone's argument is invalid.
iamadooddood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 08:57   Link #3907
ImperialFlameGod8190

I suppose what we have is a failure to communicate its awkward so I apologize.
Old 2013-08-25, 09:57   Link #3908
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

How was speculation/theory ruined the discussion? Kindly enlighten me.

Also, the Spirits can get pregnant 'theory' wasn't from me.

Anyway, whether if it'll be a harem end or a first girl end. But I hope that the series get a satisfying ending in a good way.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 10:19   Link #3909
Nvis
Where are the good animes

I'm only interested if there's a discussion about the newest Spirit or Miku.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 10:30   Link #3910
Riki
ランダム王

lets see we have Spirit world, pregnancy chaos (since Origami had one), mommy Shidou, and reine being the Onee-sama spirit. One/All/none of it might be true but you guys are starting to state it as fact, i never said it would ruin any discussions i said its turning crazy. You guys are gonna make a fanfiction at this rate.
Old 2013-08-25, 10:54   Link #3911
ImperialFlameGod8190

Riki fanfictions serve a very nice purpose they allow people to imagine a reality not given in the normal stuff
Old 2013-08-25, 11:19   Link #3912
Ragna92

Quote:

I swear he did something similar with Kotori when he saw her in a swimsuit. He said that she looked cute while blushing. And to be honest any straight guy would be impressed when they see a pretty girl dressed up nice. So yeah and he's obviously attracted to all the girls.
Ragna92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 12:31   Link #3913
sapper
私はお尻を食べる

Hmm anybody think Reine might be a spirit?
Old 2013-08-25, 12:34   Link #3914
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
I'm back from my trip to the capital and lo, first three volumes of Date AST Like is in my hands.

Unfortunately I haven't unpacked them to give them a quick read through yet, so I haven't had anything from it to tell about.

Also I'm currently "inspecting" the Rinne Utopia artbook I bought along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
Riki fanfictions serve a very nice purpose they allow people to imagine a reality not given in the normal stuff
Sturgeon's Law aside, I had to agree with that. ... But I suppose those are not the kind of discussions we want right now... but for me, as long as it fills up the time waiting for the next volume, I'm all for it.

... I might as well go and dig 2ch archives for that stuff, been a while since I did that. Fanfics, I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
I'm only interested if there's a discussion about the newest Spirit or Miku.
That's basically the topic that made me return to this thread after quite some time. You might want to check my first comment on Natsumi's design vs my post in this thread before it. Large time gap there.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----

Last edited by Master Assassin; 2013-08-25 at 13:02.
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 14:29   Link #3915
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
As of now at least, because as I see it even if it's not possible it's extremely difficult.
Even if we don't see it specifically shown, these are the kinds of things that just happen naturally in the background of the story; I don't know if you watch it, but in Space Battleship Yamato 2199, they didn't actually show Kato and Makoto growing as close as they are in episode 22. Because they're supporting characters, the story just took the time to show how they grew as the story went along without focusing on them. The spirits in DAL growing to trust humans is that kind of thing. (and it's already happened with Yoshino)

Quote:
I mean Rinne's retconning power even extended to here.
That's not really what retconning is. Retconning would be if the story of Rinne Utopia actually rewrote something in the originally story or plot, from an out-of-series point of view. For example, in the original Zeta Gundam series (another series I don't know if you've watched or not), the asteroid base Axis stayed in the earth system. In the movie remakes, the story and plot were retconned so that Axis left the earth system. Rinne Utopia hasn't actually changed anything in that way; it still actually happened.

Quote:
Wasn't that because Tohka was the first girl he ended up meeting for the triple date so his mind would have been at its clearest?

I see it as because she needs the romantic moments to reassure herself, much more so than the other girls. As in if she didn't have any romantic moments with him then she'd be so depressed that her mental state would have a real risk of being unstable. As for the other girls who aren't that reliant on him, that's what the side stories are for aren't they?

Be that as it may, I don't think there'll be a solidified winner to begin with.

Also, let me ask: Suppose Origami becomes a Spirit and gets captured by him. Would she fall out of focus? If so, how compared to Tohka?
My full response to that would be way too complicated, but the gist is that for a fictional story, you're trying to apply too much calculation and logic.

That's what happens when you really love someone; you don't see Yoshino or the Yamai twins getting like that because they don't love love him. And there is a difference, or we would've have seen Yoshino being as jealous as Tohka or Origami during the triple date. (just as the two of them showed when they found out the other had been dating him at the same time) Instead, she actually helped out.

If Origami does become a spirit, I think it would actually put more focus on her (at the very least for one arc), because

a) as she hasn't gotten any big focus (even her attack on Kotori was part of Kotori's arc) and
b) she's one of the three actual contenders for Shidou's affection. (Tohka, Origami, and Kotori; the other girls don't love love him)

As it stands, Origami has actually gotten more focus throughout the story than the sub-character spirits, really. She's always been there taking part in the events and plot. What did Yoshino do duing Kurumi's arc, for example?
Or even volume 7? While Yoshino was off fighting grunts, Orgimai was fighting the strongest Wizard with an inferior machine. That's some good focus there.

Between Tohka, Origami, and Kotori, these three share the most romantic plot relevance to Shidou by far. All three have genuine, "officially" established feelings for him, and all three get the most story and plot focus. Tohka tends to get the main story focus (like with being captured by DEM) or is part of it, Origami is always there in the middle of the action, and Kotori is in the position of possibly having to kill him. The difference is that Tohka's feeling are largely reciprocated, while Origami mostly gets blown off, and Kotori has been sister-zoned.

Quote:
Volume 5's pattern.

Ok fine, not 4 chapters, maybe 3 and a half. Because as the story progresses, the number of lighthearted chapters in such a block will also slowly decrease. (I'm not counting epilogues... but the final arc will consist of multiple volumes and only one epilogue at the end anyway.)
Naturally the final arc will have multiple volumes, but other than that we can't tell much about how the story will flow either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragna92 View Post
I swear he did something similar with Kotori when he saw her in a swimsuit. He said that she looked cute while blushing. And to be honest any straight guy would be impressed when they see a pretty girl dressed up nice. So yeah and he's obviously attracted to all the girls.
Except he specifically and inarguaby said just a bit later that he loved her.....as a little sister. So no, Tohka is still the only one he has shown real romantic interest towards.
Old 2013-08-25, 18:43   Link #3916
chaotix37
Rolling Rolling Loli ♬♩

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Spoiler for no because:
chaotix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 00:57   Link #3917
Ragna92

Lol was just reading through volume 3 of DAL and read through the scene where Kurumi kissed Origami's neck. Makes me wonder about her sexuality.
Ragna92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 07:45   Link #3918
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
After reading up to volume 4 chapter 8 I had a Cracky Therory. Reine is both Shidou's mother and the 1'st Spirit. Not haveing slept well for 30 years, she is right there when he was hearing the "Voice", calls him Shin (intrestingly we never hear what the voice adressed him as and with the amount of memory manipulation he has had Shidou could well not be his name.) as well as her reactions and intrest in Mana
Quote:
Not realy, if people are correct that the 1'st Sprit is on the run from DEM it's not like she would be anoucing who she is and Reine was the one that made fake Identities for Touka and Yoshino. Also something is up with her given the huge amount of medicine she took in volume one claiming they were sleeping pills. Pretty strong hints she isn't human.
Quote:
while you may be right, I will point out that:
a) Kurumi not having them does show that it is not a trait that has to be shared between all Spirits. (though it turns out she does have them too but only when using her clone powers)
b) Kotori is shown with out them in volume 2 while crying at the end IE with droopy and watery eyes. What was Reine's most noticeable feature? Tiered eyes IE droopy watery eyes.
c) something that stuck me, how does she know that there are even drugs to suppress Kotori's powers? Again the medicine joke seems very suspicious. It could be another it doesn't matter if you die once or twice moments.
Quote:
It's unclear if she doesn't know that kissing seals powers the only direct statement that hints at this is Shidou's belief that she wasn't told after she made him both promise to save the other Spirits and not to kiss other girls but the author has shown that these pov narrations are not always reliable such as in volume 5 when Shidou and the gang come across a badly damaged Banisnatch near the hotel and dismiss it as having been blown there, where as we the readers know that there was one there that attacked Origami and Reine. Now how it got so damaged when Reine said it just stopped working is anyone's guess. In volume 5 Tohka is not reacting to them kissing as she seemed to have missed that part but the twins freak out while saying things like “Shedding tears. Yuzuru can’t become a bride anymore” and Shidou stripped them. This
even hints she does know what he has to do to seal their powers as she isn't too happy about Shidou doing so
Quote:
Wait didn't he already explain that durring Yoshino's novel? And it is also not like it was a secret to her that he had to kiss her to seal her powers.

Ok, reading vol 5 I think I spoted another hint Reine isn't what she seems.
Spoiler for vol 5:
Maybe ....

Oh an it seems I've never mention the amount of sugar she has with her tea. It is literally enough to put someone in a diabetic coma.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 08:28   Link #3919
ImperialFlameGod8190

I hate to say this but its fairly obvious reine isn't what she seems after all she is no doubt the number two on Kotori's ship. That organization wouldn't be dumb enough to put a known spirit in charge of something like that without a way to stop her. Kannazuki isn't the option but reine must have some military experience otherwise you wouldn't let a weapon like Kotori go unchecked.
EDIT: lets not forget that before the yamai twins arc kannazuki seemed like just a grade A pervert and look what he was. Not to mention that the spirits go to her after shidou seals them
Old 2013-08-26, 08:41   Link #3920
Miraluka
Banned

Reine is Origami from the future!

Plot twist.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, angelic spirits, antiheroine, comedy, drama, fake harem, fantasia bunko, harem, light novel, open ending, possible true harem, romance, science fiction, seinen, shounen, time travel, tragedy