AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-10-13, 11:28   Link #1
JRendell
Manga Addict

Windows 7 UK Student Offer

This deal is only available for students in education in the UK, however there could well be deals where you live.

Basically, you get Windows 7 Premium for £30, which is a pretty damn good deal. You get the option to add a boot disc, plus internet download recovery of the OS, but those are extra.

If you have a secondary school or college email, you punch that in, then they send an email to that address to confirm whether you are eligible.

Here's the link - Microsoft UK Education.
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 15:41   Link #2
Ending

The downside is that you must have a modern computer to go with it, so simply installing it on your old rig isn't going to cut it. Also... why pay a penny when you can get Ubuntu, Firefox, and Open Office for free? They do all the same things, but are more secure and come with less bloat.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 15:48   Link #3
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

If your university is on MSDNAA, you can have Windows Seven for free

By the way, Windows Seven is really good (really better than Vista)
Old 2009-10-13, 15:56   Link #4
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post

LOL, that's how I got mine actually Epicness.

Win7 has been reported on working on pretty low end systems in contrast to Vista so unless your PC is millenia old, it shouldn't pose that much of a problem.

As for Ubuntu and the rest actually doing all the same, without bloat etc etc... having actually tried multiple versions of them and from multiple distros, Fedora, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE on both my desktop and my 4 yr old crappy laptop running XP... what can I say... lulz?

Just for the record, Firefox can also be used in Windows (which is a common scenario). Plus, are we REALLY, REALLY comparing a Java overbloat, almost prehistoric feeling OO, which, while decent and getting the job done (with some obvious caveats), feels unpolished and basic to Office 2007?

Last edited by npal; 2009-10-13 at 16:35.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 16:00   Link #5
Kusa-San

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
LOL, that's how I got mine actually Epicness.
And what is more epic is that's the version professional
Old 2009-10-13, 16:03   Link #6
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
And what is more epic is that's the version professional
Not to mention actually getting it much earlier than the official release. They should have given the Ultimate ver though, if only for the Language packs, but whatever, it's free so who's gonna complain?
Old 2009-10-13, 16:14   Link #7
Kusa-San

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
it's free so who's gonna complain?
Not us

Well The ultimate version has the ciphering BitLocker which is not in the professional version
Old 2009-10-13, 16:32   Link #8
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ending View Post
The downside is that you must have a modern computer to go with it, so simply installing it on your old rig isn't going to cut it. Also... why pay a penny when you can get Ubuntu, Firefox, and Open Office for free? They do all the same things, but are more secure and come with less bloat.
Lol, you've got the wrong end of the stick. I'm talking about Windows 7 here, not Microsoft Office

Quote:
Aww. Im not at University yet, so this is the next best thing for me.

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I've heard. Though that it's about time that I upgraded from XP Media Centre to the latest.
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 22:02   Link #9
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

My university doesn't provide free software because it's a liberal arts school, not a tech school.. Anyways, I'm planning to pick up Windows 7 Professional (since I have Windows Vista Business) so my games will play better, but I highly doubt it will make much a difference... and Windows 7 will probably still take 1 min to boot when Mac OS X takes only 30 seconds.

Honestly, I hate the ribbon interface in Office 2007... the interface is not intuitive and very confusing and hard to navigate... I'm grateful that Office 2008 for Mac doesn't have the dreaded ribbon interface, although it's nice eye candy.
Old 2009-10-14, 03:19   Link #10
Ending

Quote:
That's just one place, probably at the other side of the ocean. For the rest of us it's going to cost a long penny.

Quote:
Lol, you've got the wrong end of the stick. I'm talking about Windows 7 here, not Microsoft Office
I'm talking about what you can do with an OS. Who cares what's the brand as long as it does what is needed and doesn't cost too much? Personally, I'd still use WinXP, but if that is not possible and the user doesn't need games it's only wise to consider all available options. You know: just to see what you can get with the same amount from others vendors.

Doesn't Apple have student offers too?
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 04:06   Link #11
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Now if I moved about 3000 miles, it might be a good deal >.<

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 04:30   Link #12
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

That's sounds interesting actually. I might consider it.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 05:08   Link #13
Kusa-San

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell
Aww. Im not at University yet, so this is the next best thing for me.
Erf :/ Well If you're not at University, I guess it's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
My university doesn't provide free software because it's a liberal arts school, not a tech school.. Anyways, I'm planning to pick up Windows 7 Professional (since I have Windows Vista Business) so my games will play better, but I highly doubt it will make much a difference... and Windows 7 will probably still take 1 min to boot when Mac OS X takes only 30 seconds.
How can you know that when you don't have Windows Seven ? And you're wrong, Windows Seven take 30second to boot It's not for nothing that everyone say that Windows Seven is a really good OS
Old 2009-10-14, 07:40   Link #14
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Erf :/ Well If you're not at University, I guess it's true.

How can you know that when you don't have Windows Seven ? And you're wrong, Windows Seven take 30second to boot It's not for nothing that everyone say that Windows Seven is a really good OS
Actually, it takes 1 minute and 30 seconds to boot according to PCWorld and some more evidence here. From experience with Windows 7 RC, the boot times are simular to Windows Vista SP2, but still slower than Mac OS X Snow Leopard which takes 34 minutes opposed to 41-45 secs. Yes, it depends on your computer, but boot time isn't really a issue unless you are impatient, but I think that Windows 7 still take longer to shut down.

The only thing that is keeping Windows 7 being a good OS is that it's still using the registry, which is the worst possible implementation while Linux and Mac OS X uses flat files to store settings, which is a lot cleaner and you can easily figure out problem. The registry requires a person to dig into the registry, which one modification can potentially mess up the whole system if one changes the wrong entry.
Old 2009-10-14, 08:49   Link #15
AnimeTheme
MJ - Forever King of Pop

I can list at least few things from Windows 7 that are even worse than Vista (if not actually far worse).

I agree that Windows 7 in general is better than Vista, but you can't deny that Windows 7 is just an improved edition of Vista, and most of the improvements come from user-friendliness and better marketing rather than some actual advancements.

Check out my Windows gadget gallery!

AnimeTheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 09:12   Link #16
Kusa-San

Quote:
Actually, it takes 1 minute and 30 seconds to boot according to PCWorld and some more evidence here. From experience with Windows 7 RC, the boot times are simular to Windows Vista SP2, but still slower than Mac OS X Snow Leopard which takes 34 minutes opposed to 41-45 secs. Yes, it depends on your computer, but boot time isn't really a issue unless you are impatient, but I think that Windows 7 still take longer to shut down.
Lol I used Vista and now I'm on Windows Seven and sorry but it's not true at all. Windows Seven is faster than Vista to boot or anything you want.
f
Microsoft Seven is a great OS and I can tell you, far better than Vista. And I can't list anything that are even worse than Vista.
Old 2009-10-15, 20:47   Link #17
teelotes
·¥äkítðrý·

Quote:
The only thing that is keeping Windows 7 being a good OS is that it's still using the registry, which is the worst possible implementation while Linux and Mac OS X uses flat files to store settings, which is a lot cleaner and you can easily figure out problem. The registry requires a person to dig into the registry, which one modification can potentially mess up the whole system if one changes the wrong entry.
It depends on what settings you're talking about. I like to keep my desktop and folders clean while enabling hidden files in system folders, and I absolutely hate those settings files regardless of Windows (desktop.ini) or Mac OS (.ds_store), with the Mac OS case being far more irritating.
teelotes is offline   Reply With Quote