AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-08-02, 21:49   Link #281
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi
Just leave it at good costume which captures the spirit of the character they are attempting to portray and leave it at that.
That's a rather good point. This thread really should be about the costumes. I didn't mean to come across so pig-headed and focused on the physical beauty under the costume. ^^;;

Hrmm...the rules in the first post though....hmmmm...
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-03, 10:05   Link #282
whitewater_81
...sigh...

Send a message via MSN to whitewater_81 Send a message via Yahoo to whitewater_81
Thumbs up Hot!

meh...she's not that SIZZLING HOT!!!

Kasumi(Dead Or Alive)
Old 2006-08-04, 20:18   Link #283
sedukshun
kimee ~

heheh cosplay looks fun =3 too bad where i live it doesnt really exist or maybe im just in the wrong place ~ but anyways all i want is a pair of cute neko ears and go Nyaa~!! lol thats allllll ...someone get me some >_<!

as for costumes, it isnt attractive that makes cosplay...cosplay..
it's the actual costume itself, the hair the makeup the clothes the shoes and all the detail and work that has gone into making the costume to create a fictional anime character. it's all in the thoughts and imagination. that's what i think counts! creativity...=D
sedukshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 18:53   Link #284
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Send a message via MSN to Toxic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi-chan
Here's one of my favorite Asukaga cosplay pictures. The eyes are alittle too bright, but it's great anyway (b'-')b Makes you want to think that blue should be a natural hair color...

Are those even... real people?
Really cute, though.
Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-07, 12:02   Link #285
raikage
日本語を食べません!

I see those, and I remember somewhere (I think it was mentioned earlier in this very thread) that some of the Japanese cosplayers are professional cosplayers.

Should they be really seen as on the same level as some other cosplayers?

If they're making money for it, then I don't think it's exactly fair to compare them (they have more time to make it and more incentive to pay for the extra, higher quality material) to amateurs who don't have/want to/can spend that kind of time and cash.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 05:12   Link #286
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

raikage might be right about some of those pictures being professionals. Putting that controversy aside, here are some good photos of talented amateurs. I took a ton of phots at Otakon so I've got an awful lot to post. This is just the first installment of photos.

First, here are some Trinity Blood cosplayers. I saw the first 2 episodes and didn't like the show much, but the costumes are gorgous.

Now, let's see some Ouran Host Club. There was a shocking quantity of Ouran Host Club cosplayers at Otakon. I had no idea how popular it would be. Perhaps it is just because the costume is relatively simple, but here are some of the better cosplayers.

For the heck of it, here are some group shots of Full Metal Alchemist. Magic Knight Rayearth, Prince of Tennis and Hellsing. In case you are curious about the FMA picture, those are angel wings that Hughes is wearing.

Now for some Rozen Maiden. There wasn't much Rozen Maiden cosplay unfortunately, and some of it wasn't very good, but I did find two cosplayers I liked. Here are Kanaria and Suisei Seki.

I hope everyone enjoyed these photos. I've got another 115 that are worth posting. Seriously. I'm not sure how many will get posted though.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-08-08 at 05:24.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 05:22   Link #287
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

This installment of Otakon photos will be a trifle different. None of the following pictures are actually cosplay, but they are somewhat relevant to anime and Japanese culture. Here is a small selection of girls dressed in Gothic Lolita style.

Now there are only 110 more to go.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-08-08, 11:06   Link #288
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Stunning costume; very well done. Tho I'm seriously concerned with the lack of overflowing Locks.

Ahem Drunken Otakus?
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 21:29   Link #289
Hellychan
~chibi tenshi~

Hey! That's some pretty well done costumes! Especially the Trinity Blood, MKR, and Suisei Seki ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwl12
That girl on the right reminds me a bit of Shiemi.
Hmm...yeah she has Shiemi's smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwl12
That guy looks, er, ok.
Hehe, maybe abit more than ok?

Last edited by Hellychan; 2006-08-08 at 21:53.
Hellychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 02:01   Link #290
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Okay, now for another helping of photos from Otakon. I'm going to give you a good general assortment today instead of following any theme. These first few photos are from (in order):
Naruto, Last Exile, Full Moon wa Sagashite, Mai HiME, Lineage, Witch Hunter Robin, Escaflowne, Battle Angel Alita and ???. I don't know what this last one is from, so I'd appreciate it if someone would tell me.

I was actually surprised at how little I saw of the SOS Brigade. From The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, all I saw was two Haruhi cosplayers, and only one of those is worth posting here:

This is Onizuka from the episode where he thinks that the school is haunted. I love it when cosplayers choose a costume from a specific episode where their character looks different from his usual appearance.

Now for a little bit of Fate/stay night. I saw a really nice Archer, unfortunately none of the rest quite deserved to be posted on their own.

Here is Lord Raptor from the video game Dark Stalkers. I liked it so much that I'm posting two pics of him.

Finally, here's a little bit of Disgaea.

Old 2006-08-09, 04:34   Link #291
ReSnake
All-knowing Wonderbra

Real ( Ergo Proxy ) :

Lenne ( Final Fantasy X-2 ) :

I think they look so hot
ReSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-10, 04:28   Link #292
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Today's post will focus on video games. I'll start with one of the most popular video games being cosplayed at Otakon: Soul Caliber.

Whew, that was a lot of Soul Caliber femmes! Now for some Dynasty Warriors:

Sweet cosplay, eh? Now for just a little bit of Dead or Alive:

And some Magna Carta:

Here's I-no from Guilty Gear, Feena from Grandia and Ayla from Crono Trigger:

The clever bit with the Ayla cosplay are the little hearts when she blows a kiss. That's soooo cute! Now, to finish off this installment of Otakon cosplay, here are two characters from games that are not yet released. The first is from Final Fantasy 12 and the next two pictures are of a girl who was cosplaying Heavenly Sword:

Old 2006-08-10, 05:43   Link #293
SweetHoney
~Nanchatte Renai
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I was actually surprised at how little I saw of the SOS Brigade. From The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, all I saw was two Haruhi cosplayers, and only one of those is worth posting here:

Wah! A Haruhi cosplay such kawaii desu!

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-08-11 at 01:06.
SweetHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-10, 18:45   Link #294
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Ye gads -- that is a ton of photos.

Off-topic, how was Otakon? Someone on another board said it felt really disorganized this year.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 00:42   Link #295
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi
I don't know what good cosplay has anything to do with someone being attractive. Considering attractiveness doesn't make you good at costuming, nor does good costuming make for attractiveness, I think that is a bad example to be setting on this board. I mean after all, most cosplayers out there really aren't that attractive, just as most PEOPLE out there aren't 'attractive'. Unless you are expanding your definition of 'attractive' in which case you're just picking and choosing, and who's to really say who's attractive. I'd seriously hate it if say I was a cosplayer and my picture was taken down because I was considered too 'ugly' for this thread! Good thing I'm not a cosplayer.

Just leave it at good costume which captures the spirit of the character they are attempting to portray and leave it at that.

Though it's true that being attractive doesn't determine one's costume craftsmanship and personality, physical beauty is still hugely important in portraying certain characters. Sometimes, the "spirit of the character" is primarily being very, very hot, and not much else. Can an overweight man cosplay as Faye Valentine or Rei Ayanami? Sure he could (as some of you've heard), but it wouldn't be a fair representation of the character, since Faye is a superbabe diva and Rei is anorexic. Of course, in this example, I'm using a man, but people could always argue "what does your sex have to do with good costuming" Well, given the fact that its a MAN, it just doesn't look like a female character. Similarly, if an obese otaku attempts to cosplay a shapely one, the resemblance is also hampered. It may not be nice, since we can't necessarily help our physical appearance, but one cannot deny that good looks helps cosplay in a many cases.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 01:13   Link #296
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
Ye gads -- that is a ton of photos.

Off-topic, how was Otakon? Someone on another board said it felt really disorganized this year.
I'd have to agree that it was a complete failure from a logistical point of view. The pocket program (which failed in many ways) was frequently incorrect and there was no place to get a good list of the constantly changing program. Generally I wound up at the room and saw a schedule on the door which displayed what was actually in the room right then, instead of the thing I came to see. It was really annoying when I found that the panel I wanted to see was moved 2 hours earlier! Video rooms 7 and 1 were completely switched, but at least I got used to that. The first AMV Contest screening started an hour and a quarter late! Once they stopped playing the movie I was watching right before the end and put on something else~!! (That was mega-annoying.)

The only good scheduling note is that amazingly the Masquerade started on time. For the first time ever!

Old 2006-08-13, 03:31   Link #297
PeppstaR
AG Art Studios

Send a message via AIM to PeppstaR Send a message via Yahoo to PeppstaR
Wow, there's a lot of cool cosplay pics. I still haven't gone through all the pages but I will. I just wanted to post to share some pictures that we took of cosplayers in the gallery on my site @ www.agartstudios.com

We have a few hundred pictures, so I couldn't really pick out ones specifically to post directly on here.

enjoy!

-Pepp
PeppstaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 23:40   Link #298
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Heres some cosplayers I saw at the Tokyo game show this year.

She may not know it but shes my future bride to be.

Bison... what a fucking badass this dude was.

And finally the best for last, seriously these chicks were probably the best cosplayers I've ever seen.

Last edited by Tommy; 2006-10-08 at 05:44.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 13:03   Link #299
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

well ... it aren't pictures ... but an video, but well ... hope ya don't mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2GVqxKLJ8k

the video was shot at least years J-popcon in Denmark the sad part though is that there was that many Mew-Mew girls
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 04:30   Link #300
LynRee
-

Well, here are my favourite cosplay pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Now that's one badass looking Rasler cosplay.
LynRee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cosplay, photo