AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-04-26, 17:50   Link #501
dasrune
smh

cool photos, i really like that last one.

Last edited by dasrune; 2010-04-30 at 12:14.
dasrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 09:45   Link #502
mikoo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrune View Post
cool photo's, i really like that last one.
dasrune: Thank you very much.

-

Kagamiku~

Nikon D300
17-55mm f/2.8
mikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 12:58   Link #503
mikoo
Banned

mikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 16:44   Link #504
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Not very talented at photography but here's a few shot of mine.

Spoiler for click:

Taken with a stock canon 300D and 500D, I could really do with a proper lens set though as I'm still using the 300d's kit lens which doesnt even have image stabilization.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 17:27   Link #505
ash0ka

Send a message via AIM to ash0ka Send a message via MSN to ash0ka
Cool. I'm happy I found this thread. I don't shoot on a DSLR because of a lack of cash to buy one, but I have an advanced point and shoot. Here is some of the stuff I'm proud of. Quite a few photos.
Spoiler:
ash0ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 17:35   Link #506
H23

Great shots! More!
Old 2010-05-19, 19:15   Link #507
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

A couple of shots I took today.

Spoiler for click:

Last edited by Drake; 2010-05-20 at 12:16.
Old 2010-05-19, 21:40   Link #508
ash0ka

Nice. I really like the composition on the second photo. I'd like more contrast than it has, but I'm guessing you hardly edited them, if at all.
Old 2010-05-20, 12:21   Link #509
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Thanks

I edited out the licence plate and sharpened it all up a bit but not alot else.

Contast looks pretty high as is which is why I didnt really touch it.

Old 2010-05-21, 00:30   Link #510
ash0ka

What kind of equipment are you using? I've been examining people's photographs lately and checking our their set ups so I can get a better feel of which camera I'd like to purchase when I get a DSLR.
Old 2010-05-21, 05:06   Link #511
Solafighter
Hige

A very good friend of mine took these pictures one year ago, in russia.
I was standing right next to him, when he took the photos.

Spoiler for photos:
Old 2010-05-21, 11:16   Link #512
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash0ka View Post
What kind of equipment are you using? I've been examining people's photographs lately and checking our their set ups so I can get a better feel of which camera I'd like to purchase when I get a DSLR.
I'm using a Canon EOS REBEL T1i with an old 18-55mm kit lens from my old 300D

If you right click on my images and go to properties it should tell you all the camera settings for the photo.

I could really do with a better/newer lens with image stablization and maybe some polarizing filters.

Edit: Solafighter those are awesome photos =]

Old 2010-05-21, 15:00   Link #513
ash0ka

Thanks for letting me know. I've been wrestling with the idea of a Canon 40D or the Nikon D90. They are pretty much the equivalent of each other, so the quality isn't much difference. I've shot with the D90 before and really enjoyed it, I'm just waiting for this next week to try shooting with a Canon 40D and 5D so I can make a better decision.
Old 2010-05-22, 21:14   Link #514
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Might as well post a few here to share.

Spoiler for Bird Photos:

Olympus E-520 + Zuiko Digital 8mm Fisheye (180˚ angle of view; distortion was not processed out, but was minimized by keeping the camera level with the horizon and ensuring that objects in the scene were relatively far from me):
Spoiler for Landscapes:

Last edited by Ledgem; 2010-05-22 at 22:28. Reason: Typo
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-22, 21:40   Link #515
ash0ka

I love that skyline shot. It's really fantastic. I also really like the photo of the duck? diving into the water. It's great work, I'd like to see some more fisheye stuff.
Old 2010-05-22, 22:35   Link #516
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash0ka View Post
I love that skyline shot. It's really fantastic. I also really like the photo of the duck? diving into the water. It's great work, I'd like to see some more fisheye stuff.
Thanks I can put up more fisheye shots. The fisheye is a pretty hard lens to use, actually - it gets everything into the frame. Also, if you're not careful then all fisheye shots start to look extremely generic due to the fisheye effect. I actually bought it to use an an ultra wide-angle lens, because the ultra-wide that I want costs too much for me at the moment and the fisheye was sold to me for cheap from someone who was changing camera systems. When it comes to fisheyes and other wide-angle things, the geometry of the scene becomes extremely important.

I noticed you were discussing what type of camera to get - you might want to consider Olympus, especially if you're into nature/landscapes. One of my friends bought an entry-level Canon (a Rebel something-or-other) and I hate to say it, but the thing felt like a toy. Maybe her camera was messed up, but it felt very light and plasticky, and I could barely see anything through her viewfinder. She handled my camera and wanted to know if it was super-expensive - my E-520 is considered entry-level on the Olympus line (although the lens I had mounted to it wasn't entry-level). They've recently introduced a new system that's backwards-compatible with the current lineup, and much smaller - I'll probably invest in that as well, in the future.

Feel free to PM me if you ever want to discuss Olympus stuff (or reply here - not sure if the mods would get miffed if we tried to discuss camera gear, as well). I feel that my photography equipment lets me do a ton of stuff and that it was a good value, so I recommend it to many people - however, I don't get paid by Olympus, so I'll also tell you straight if you'd be better served by going with a different camera manufacturer for your needs.
Old 2010-05-22, 23:59   Link #517
ash0ka

Thanks. I mostly do landscape, macro, and night (long exposure) photography. I tend to get into phases where I'll do one more than the others or even branch out to styles I'm not used to (cityscape, urban, portrait, animal/wildlife, etc...) but overall stick pretty much to those three styles.

Honestly, I've never even looked into Olympus. I've been a Canon fan my entire photography experience. I've recently tried some Nikon cameras and was really impressed with the performance, layout, and ISO capabilities. Being I like night photography so much, a camera that can give me clear results with a higher ISO is kind of an essential factor in determining what camera I'm going with. I'm trying to avoid the entry level selections and go for a lower end professional camera. Something like the Nikon D90 or Canon 40D. Right now I'm really leaning on the D90, but I'm definitely open to more selection. I've recently considered Pentax because I've seen some nice results come from a friend who uses one.
Old 2010-05-23, 01:35   Link #518
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Hey, just like me - I do tons of photography styles, largely in phases. I like nature photography the most, but do others as well. The trouble is that it gets expensive, and the wife isn't terribly pleased with the number of lenses I'm accumulating... Here's a few more:

Olympus E-520 + Leica D Summilux 25mm f/1.4:
Spoiler for Portraiture:

Olympus E-520 + Zuiko Digital 50mm f/2.0 macro + Olympus EX-25 extension tube (to bring magnification up to 1:1), Olympus FL-50R flash held off-camera and triggered wirelessly:
Spoiler for Macro Photography:

Olympus E-520 + Zuiko Digital 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye, utilizing fisheye distortion (I use this lens as my cathedral conqueror):
Spoiler for Fisheye Photos:

If I weren't using Olympus I'd either be with Nikon or Pentax, most likely. The thing is, Pentax makes some nice prime lenses, but I haven't heard such good things about their zooms.

Nikon has the best high-ISO noise control, but to be honest, if you get into processing your own photos then it doesn't really matter. I was originally super-impressed with my friend's Nikon D200 high-ISO performance compared to my E-520, but when I started shooting in RAW and processing it myself, I realized that my ISO noise looked the same as hers. With Noise Ninja I can clean it all up nicely. My camera maxes out at ISO 1600 and I'll use it without a second thought; the newer Olympuses do 3200 (and the sensors in the Pens, which will come in the next standard line next do 6400). Nikon's up to what - 12800 or something by now? It's all advancing pretty rapidly. Either way, if you're good with processing your photos yourself even some of the time, I think that now you can hit high ISO with any camera brand and be fine.

The Olympus camera bodies are a great deal, especially with the two kit lenses. That's largely what swayed me to them when I was starting out (it was either them or Canon for me - I knew nothing about photography back then). Once you really start to get into it, good lenses and gear cost a lot no matter what system you're on. I dream of getting a Nikon D700 and one of their fast lenses for portraiture some day, but those are really damn expensive. Looking over Nikon's lens list, all their good glass is extremely pricey. Olympus' can get pretty expensive, but I think it's still a bit cheaper. Only trouble is that Nikon has some ultra-cheap glass, but Olympus' stuff is all largely mid-price or higher if you want to advance beyond the kit glass. Olympus takes a bit of criticism for their camera bodies compared to the competition (although that's changing around), but nobody knocks their lenses - they're some of the sharpest you can get. They're almost all weather-sealed, too. Unfortunately they only make one camera body that's also weather-sealed, but I'd love to be able to shoot in the rain...
Old 2010-05-24, 01:15   Link #519
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten

Probably one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. I took this from a moving bus with a Canon Powershot A430.
Old 2010-05-27, 07:34   Link #520
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Might as well post a few here to share.

Spoiler for Bird Photos:

Olympus E-520 + Zuiko Digital 8mm Fisheye (180˚ angle of view; distortion was not processed out, but was minimized by keeping the camera level with the horizon and ensuring that objects in the scene were relatively far from me):
Spoiler for Landscapes:
This definitely seperates the men from the boys and wannabes (like me).
The twilight pic absolutely took my breath away as well as the clarity of the others as well, makes me almost wanna step through my screen so i can feel what I'm seeing

I only stumbled into here upon hearing that a certain Mrs Ledgem has made a guest appearence
Thanks for the pics, there's a cookie your way.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
photography