Notices

Old 2006-10-23, 17:50   Link #201
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Yes, it's a classic. 8)

Oscar is a girl whose father always wanted a boy, so she was raised as a man and this was an ongoing secret of the series.

The origin of all of those beautiful reverse trap stories. 8)

Rose of Versailles takes place just before the French Revolution, about 20 years after the events of Chevalier.
That sounds interesting too. Something mysterious and enchanting about these kind of story. I was fascinated with Jeanne d'Arc myself.

The anime version of Chevalier D'Eon was quite interesting, but the story of Chevalier D'Eon that lommm mentioned was quite intriguing also. ^_^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 22:27   Link #202
lommm
l'homme de lommm

yeah, secca, you can read on the wiki page for the real guy (there's a link on the anime wiki) all about the guy's story... there are some french books about him/her, but no english translations that i know of... one movie was made of the story in french back in the 40s i think, maybe 50s... it was made by a female director and she took the view that it was a woman the whole time and the actual tough part of her life was always fooling people into thinking she was a man... it was apparently a feminist film, and i don't think french people liked it very much... as far as i know, they traditionally see D'Eon as a man who was just a little "off"... maybe skilled at cross-dressing when he was young, but as he got old, he was just a crazy old man... that's what my french t.a. says anyway...
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 20:46   Link #203
lommm
l'homme de lommm

KAWAI!!!!!

for some reason they don't offer teillagory, durand, or robespierre
i have the full size that show the feet, but they are large and require a little editing, so i will post them some other time!

CHEVALIER -- GUNGHO

Last edited by lommm; 2006-10-24 at 21:03.
Old 2006-10-25, 04:26   Link #204
wao
OK.

In the same vein, don't forget to check out for this awesome awesome pic of Durand on Iga Jirou's site. It's so awesome. *_* I worship this guy. Seriously... What confident pencil strokes! What perfect anatomy! And what a damn cool pose!

Those avatars are awfully cute, by the way...
Old 2006-10-25, 05:42   Link #205
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommm View Post
KAWAI!!!!!

Hehe this my favorite. ^_^
Old 2006-10-27, 11:40   Link #206
Doria

Oh good grief, those are ridiculously adorable... but I want a Teillagory one.

To address an above comment, I believe that Eon's autobiography was translated into English some time ago, though the title differs from the original French title. Let me see if I can dig it up here. Ah here it is. The Maiden of Tonnerre: The Vicissitudes of the Chevalier and the Chevalière d'Eon - by Charles d'Eon de Beaumont. The French title was different, but I can't recall it right offhand. I kept meaning to go look for it at the French bookstore, but never seem to have any free time (blame fansubbing for that...).

There appear to be a good 20+ books on/about him, though. Just run a search for "d'Eon" at Amazon if you're looking for English-language references. I can't speak to the accuracy of any specific ones, but there appear to be quite a few to pick among. If you have access to a university library, that might be a good bet also.

Edit: Additionally, I noticed that Amazon lists the OST as being released at the end of November. I believe some people around irc were interested in picking it up. So FYI.
Doria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 16:20   Link #207
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Hehe Thanks! ^_^ I found them in Amazon, there were several of them. Which one would you recomend to read? I cannot read French btw.
Old 2006-10-27, 18:09   Link #208
Doria

Haha, I think "several" is an understatement--I couldn't even get past the first page of my search results! I believe most, if not all, of those are English.

Unfortunately, as I say, I haven't had a chance to check out any of those personally, but I think our TL recommends the autobiography whose title I listed (and he read it in English, as I don't believe he reads French, and didn't have any problems with the writing).

I guess barring others having more specific suggestions, I might just take a look at the publication dates and what press the book's from. For scholarly-type works, I'd generally go with more "prestigious" presses, such as those put out by research universities, as their critera are apt to be more stringent. I keep meaning to look for that bio when I'm at the bookstore, but I haven't remembered yet; probably, I'd have better luck ordering it anyway.
Old 2006-10-28, 14:56   Link #209
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

I love this anime. Japanese interpretations of French fables and old stories usualy means good material, great quality and entertainment. (example: petit cosette, Compte de Monté Cristo, Trois mousquetaire, Remi, etc) are all anime I love so much. I love the French influence over the Japanese. ^-^
Old 2006-10-28, 15:53   Link #210
lommm
l'homme de lommm

wow doria, i don't know why i never looked at amazon... doh!
i will be going to the ucla library today and pulling a bunch of chevalier books...
they have an extensive french language section, so i think i'll pull some of that too...
if i get around to it, i'll post the titles and which ones look the best...
btw, ep11 is out, i'm going to get a flu shot and then i will get the episode under way...

EDIT == Okay, watched it... another good ep... the animation is not quite up to the first 4 eps again, but it is still top notch...

a lot of nice architecture shots within which I'm sure aniki and mrprophet will see anochronisms...

and more fanservice:
Spoiler:

i have two questions so far...
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited by lommm; 2006-10-28 at 18:41.
Old 2006-10-29, 13:29   Link #211
wao
OK.

What the hell, why did they have to end it there? Bah. The swordfighting was heating up, too!
Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-29, 23:24   Link #212
Doria

Ah, lommm, I didn't know you were located in LA (or, LA-adjacent anyway), also. Yeah, the UCLA library is good for French stuff. I'm sure you can find most anything you'd be curious about there. Coincidentally, I taught English there for about 10 years.

I haven't watched the new episode yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to it now.
Old 2006-10-30, 02:13   Link #213
Runesque
Reluctant Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
In the same vein, don't forget to check out for this awesome awesome pic of Durand on Iga Jirou's site. It's so awesome. *_* I worship this guy. Seriously... What confident pencil strokes! What perfect anatomy! And what a damn cool pose!

Those avatars are awfully cute, by the way...
Okay... I did not just see Robin in a sailor fuku and in that pose. Nice to see moe fantasies get channelled, especially by highly skillful hands LOL. That said, great drawings! Just wish I could read those comments in Japanese...
Runesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 18:22   Link #214
lommm
l'homme de lommm

i really think this is from a different series, or his own creation...
however, if this is from chevalier... even if it is his own little doodle, it's on yellow paper...
that is usually the director's paper...
i think if this is supposed to be robin thern it really adds fuel to the possibility that robin is actually a girl wearing boys clothes....!
Old 2006-10-30, 18:46   Link #215
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Okay, chalked 1 point to Robin theory. ^^
Old 2006-10-31, 04:20   Link #216
glyph

So, I took a shot at an english version of the OP.
I embellished somewhat to make the words flow right, but I think I captured the gist of the meaning.
Comments?

Spoiler for attempt at 'Born' english ver.:

(Yes, it's all terribly emo, but then so was the original song to begin with. )

Last edited by glyph; 2006-11-01 at 05:43.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 04:28   Link #217
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I have yet to grasp why being too emo is bad
Old 2006-10-31, 14:48   Link #218
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

ANN is reporting that Chevalier has been licensed through Shochiku.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 15:12   Link #219
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
ANN and their "news". LOL

Shochiku is not an American company. It's just a producer and distributor of Japanese films. It also produced and funded "Chevalier d'Eon" from the start.

In other words, only a middleman.

To say that "Chevalier is licensed through Sochiku" is equal to saying that it's licensed through Production I.G. Not really newsworthy.

In fact, it's not news at all.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 15:19   Link #220
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

They also mention a 'release' in Feb 2007, I'd assume that was dvds. Hopefully they'll post more info...

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-10-31 at 15:36.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
historical, supernatural