AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-13, 02:34   Link #1
kalbron

Valkyria Chronicles - Anime/Game Comparison Spoiler Thread

Mod Edit: Thread started by pulling off-topic posts from the Episode 15 thread. Expect game spoilers.

I guess when they were returning Alicia's brain they decided to lobotomize Welkin in the process.

Either that or the company hired a bunch of horrible fan fic writers for the show instead of professionals and they all felt that Faldio was a better choice for a self-insert character than Welkin.

Seriously though, at this rate I can't really see the game's plotline occuring as it will seem way too far out of left field to make any logical sense... what am I saying? Of course they'll do it then!

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-07-17 at 01:27.
Old 2009-07-13, 05:11   Link #2
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

l'm glad, very glad that other viewers showing their disgust at the past few episodes. One of the HUGE, BIGGEST moment is coming up soon and the relationship between alicia and welkin has worsen ever since the cabin episode. and for what?
just so that useless scrub gets some screentime and steal some of welkins moments in the game that made him a great MC.
this in a way is a slap to the fans, some might disagree but that's how l feel. l don't want this crap that they had to add original material so the viewers have something new to experience. they have removed alot, and l mean alot of material from the game and added crap. 15 plus episodes and still no mention of lsara's dream...like wtf...?

off-topic...
and of all troopers they had to kill ... vyse? .....couldn't they had pick a scrub instead like that guy with the scar in his face.......
Old 2009-07-13, 05:34   Link #3
kalbron

Hey, no need to get too excited Manji. I myself was disappointed at first but then I took some simple advice. No it wasn't to treat this as an alternative universe version, because that still doesn't excuse it from being bad, merely from being different.

Rather, treat it as a trainwreck in very slow motion and laugh at how poorly the studio goes about its business.
Old 2009-07-13, 07:55   Link #4
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

Man if this anime has convinced me of one thing. It's to buy the game to see how it should actually have been made.

EPIC FAIL.
Old 2009-07-13, 10:02   Link #5
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Glad to see I'm not the only one who's disappointed in what the studio and script writers have done. So much potential...

I'd love to see Kyo Ani and their team re-animate this series using the script writers they're so famous in using for this show. It could be Epic...
Old 2009-07-13, 12:02   Link #6
Johnny
Working the bags...

Awhile ago I came up with a solution regarding the writers 'screwing the pooch' with this show. I quit watching it, and come in here to read the spoilers. Saves a lot of time that way...
Old 2009-07-13, 14:59   Link #7
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Awhile ago I came up with a solution regarding the writers 'screwing the pooch' with this show. I quit watching it, and come in here to read the spoilers. Saves a lot of time that way...
Thought I was the only one lol
Old 2009-07-14, 07:19   Link #8
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

Anyone got any idea when the plot will get moving again?

By plot I mean story...not character development. I was expecting some kind of epic story behind the backdrop of a war after watching the first few episodes.

Since then it has become a love story w/ a taste of war. But I'll save my judgement until the end. Till then I rented the game and I'll tie myself over with that.
Old 2009-07-14, 08:06   Link #9
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Tyrone Biggums, plot moves slightly if you can see past the character, its just that the characters take the central stage while the plot-related things move into the background.

In a way it is sad because game gave a good mix-up of both battles/actual plot and character development, anime though pays most of the focus to the characters and character development rather than the war/plot or battles. It would not be so bad if characters were well made and deep but in anime despite the increased focus they still feel inferior to their game counterparts.
Old 2009-07-15, 02:35   Link #10
kami0052

It's obvious that the anime is badly compared to the game (at least that's what majority people think).

Why would the producers write a different script even though the game script was so good?

Looking at the economic point of view and you may understand it. The explanation is that they want to raise the sale in Video game rather than the anime. The producers need to make the anime story lame in other to sell more VC game. Because the anime is so lame so the viewers will disappoint about it and people will desperately try to obtain a copy of the original story, thus increasing the sales.

It's just my dumb opinion.
Old 2009-07-15, 03:29   Link #11
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by kami0052 View Post
It's obvious that the anime is badly compared to the game (at least that's what majority people think).

Why would the producers write a different script even though the game script was so good?

Looking at the economic point of view and you may understand it. The explanation is that they want to raise the sale in Video game rather than the anime. The producers need to make the anime story lame in other to sell more VC game. Because the anime is so lame so the viewers will disappoint about it and people will desperately try to obtain a copy of the original story, thus increasing the sales.

It's just my dumb opinion.
Hahaha...
That's actually a good idea....at the end of the series....welkin ends up traveling alone and alicia has multiple babies with faldio.....

then comes out a few paragraphs You BeEn TrOlLeD for the actual ending of VC buy the game!
o.o
Old 2009-07-15, 11:44   Link #12
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
It's certainly more entertaining to see a competition then Alicia and Welkin hitting it off immediately, their personalities in the Anime don't seem too straight forward, so naturally it needs a catalyst to speed the process up. Otherwise i could see Faldio as boring as Ramal if he hadn't had any type of development.

Huh.. i could have sworn i posted earlier maybe i selected Preview?... or it got deleted?..
this is my problem with the whole damn thing, in the game version alicia and welkin came to like each from the start, but did not begin to fall in love with each other until they started feeling the sorrow, hardships, lost that war cost them. through their own awkward relationship they both supported each other in their most needed of times, that is what made it so very enjoyable to see them get together at the end and every scene that pushed them even more together very engrossing.

so, using faldio as a catalyst for welkin to understand his love for alicia cheapens it.
Old 2009-07-15, 11:56   Link #13
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
this is my problem with the whole damn thing, in the game version alicia and welkin came to like each from the start, but did not begin to fall in love with each other until they started feeling the sorrow, hardships, lost that war cost them. through their own awkward relationship they both supported each other in their most needed of times, that is what made it so very enjoyable to see them get together at the end and every scene that pushed them even more together very engrossing.

so, using faldio as a catalyst for welkin to understand his love for alicia cheapens it.
I agree so damn much with this post, that it hurts. Honestly.

Seems like most people who are supporting Faldio here haven't played the game, and don't see how the character relationships developed differently from here. They're missing out on such a better story there.
Old 2009-07-15, 13:58   Link #14
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

That's because the animators are making them fall in love like school kids instead of the growing relationship between two adults supporting each other through the hardships of war we got in the game.

Honestly that's what the romantism in the anime is like. just like a typical teenage school romance story.
Old 2009-07-15, 14:38   Link #15
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
That's because the animators are making them fall in love like school kids instead of the growing relationship between two adults supporting each other through the hardships of war we got in the game.

Honestly that's what the romantism in the anime is like. just like a typical teenage school romance story.
You've summed it up perfectly. I'm pretty sure if i had no game knowledge at all, that i'd be disliking what the anime has done upto this point in terms of romance status. It's just so cheap, and such a shame.
Old 2009-07-15, 14:42   Link #16
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Gotta agree totally about the cheapness of the romance. That's exactly what I was worried about happening when details of the story started to come out and they said they'd focus more on the romance than the war.

Well, dumb-dumbs, the romance WAS featured in the game. To make that romance work you almost HAVE to have the war as a part of it.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-07-15, 19:56   Link #17
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
I think I'm going to have to start doing that myself...I find I greatly exceed my daily allowance of sighing after I view every episode lately...

Honestly if this whole ill-conceived boring as all hell love triangle is going to be a major plot all the way to the end I might aswell...Wake me up if anything interesting actually happens along the way neh?

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2009-07-15, 20:34   Link #18
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Well, dumb-dumbs, the romance WAS featured in the game. To make that romance work you almost HAVE to have the war as a part of it.
In the game it felt like it was part of the story. In the anime it feels like it is the story while the whole war thing is just some fancy toys to decorate this shoujo schoolgirl's romance.

Father Hentai, it depends on what you define as a Main character. If you mean that welkin will end up holding Alicia's hand and dumbly staring into a sunset - then most probably it will be it, yet for me the main character feels the one who gets the most of the focus through the majority of the series rather than the one who gets a good end.

Like lets say in School Rumble, the main character is supposed to be Tenma, but we probably all agree that that during the time Harima became the main character and got more focus than Tenma. But SR still ended with Tenma's story resolved while Harima's ending was turned into a crappy pie fight. Yet I still do not feel like Tenma was the main character.

Similar feeling I have in here too. It is not just that Faldio is perfect these last few episodes while Welkin is a totally useless, but more that through the course of these 15 episodes you get the feeling that Faldio gets more focus and attention than Welkin does, the last few episodes are the peak of it, but the episodes before are like that too.

If only it was just one two episodes then you could say they focus on the character for a moment just to make him some of a rival to the main one, but since this happens during the most of the series, you start confusing yourself of whose the actual lead is.

Take away the game knowledge and the OP and you will see that so far Welkin does not look like that much of the main character here.

It feels more like there is a single main character - Alicia, while Welkin and Faldio play their roles in this shoujo triangle story with war setting, but between them more focus and attention goes to Faldio.

I guess I am saying that when the half of the series pass and you can still argue on who the main lead is, then that means script-writers are doing something wrong (either giving too much focus on Faldio or too little focus on Welkin) as from OP and the game we know that their should be two main leads, yet so far only one lead is spotted (Alicia).
Old 2009-07-15, 20:55   Link #19
justinstrife

On this anime, DarkNemo and I agree almost exclusively. Didn't happen with another anime that shall remain nameless, but good to see we have common ground here.

As the show currently sits, Faldio is more of the Main Character, than Welkin. Which is such a major WTF, I can't even describe it into words.
Old 2009-07-15, 22:13   Link #20
Mei19
LOL'ing at t3h old bags

I pity those who hate on Faldio for having more lines than Welkin. Boy do I pity them. The story is more coloful with Faldio involved. But no matter how much of a loser Welkin is, he's a bigger character than Faldio. 1 + 1 = ??

Looking at Alicia's reaction, Faldio has a chance. I swear if Faldio dies seagulls will cry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000
In the anime it feels like it is the story while the whole war thing is just some fancy toys to decorate this shoujo schoolgirl's romance.

Yep. Valkyria Chronicles is cool like that.
Closed Thread