AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-04-16, 23:35   Link #1
Owata

Being Late to the Party? (Or, missing out on 'ongoing' shows.)

Hi.

Do you sometimes feel a little left out whenever you stumble upon a series after its original run? I'm not talking about shows that are 10+ years old, but rather more recent shows that you knew were creating a lot of buzz when they first aired, but somehow didn't catch it until much later?

With shows like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star, it actually took me 3 years for me to finally watch them - way after their original buzz from fans died down. It would have been nice to be in the moment and watch these shows when they were "fresh", while reading the online reactions as each new episode was released.

But I suppose watching a show years later is better than not watching it at all.
Owata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 23:41   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually...I think it lets you more objectively assess a series rather than being twisted up in the fan rage/worship that often goes on. Most of the early series I caught when first starting in the hobby had been around a while.

I guess the only thing missed is the social experience of discovering it *with* other people.
Old 2011-04-16, 23:46   Link #3
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Viewing experience is hampered slightly if you miss out whilst it is ongoing. Afterall, you miss out on the hype (or the hate, depending on what side you are on ). This is especially more the case for popular series/season favourites.

However, for genres like slice of life, I don't think it affects your viewing experience that much if you are late to the party. Slice of life don't tend to have the most complex plots and is generally of the "sit down and enjoy" style.

However, for genres like thrillers/horror, viewing experience is affected more substantially because you miss out out on all the crazy speculation, which can be part of the fun. A recent example is Madoka Magica. People who watch Madoka Magica years from now are going to miss out on all the crazy discussions and speculations, which is half the fun and it will very difficult to avoid spoilers for such popular series.

But, you're absolutely right in that watching popular/critically acclaimed series later is better than not watching it at all

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-04-17 at 00:02.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 23:55   Link #4
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Sometimes I feel that way, but usually when I end up using up more time than usual trying to finish a completed series(ex: Toradora and Angel Beats). I had the same thought with Clannad(which I'm currently watching) At the same time it's got it's upsides, like not having to wait week after week for new episodes of an anime that I really like.

But it's just as you say, better late then never lol
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 00:11   Link #5
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Most of the times I get this and like acejem said, missing out on all the fun people had when the anime was still going with posting about their speculations on what will happen next. Or the rage/joy they get while watching the episodes. Especially with all the reactions people get from characters before anymore information is brought about them that might change their viewpoint entirely *cough*.

But like the saying goes and going along with everyone else "Better late then never"
Old 2011-04-17, 01:01   Link #6
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Honestly, for me its two different viewing experiences. If I am late to a show and watch it al at once, without breaks between episodes, it's altogether a more immersive experience tha tI am able to fully appreciate.

On the other hand I have no one to talk about this experience with since the show is gone and done, which is sad.

If I watch it a week by week basis, it stops the flow and I don't get quite as immersed. But I do get to talk with people.

It's a trade off and i think it depends on the series for me. I was late on Haruhi and didn't feel like I lost anything by doing that.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 01:27   Link #7
Kyuu
=^^=

Pssh. I'm perpetuately and intentionally late on anime series, with each passing season. To decide what to even bother downloading (let alone watching), I allow the Internet buzz tell me what is the "next best thing". That's been right a good 60% of the time. If I disagree, I simply delete.

Even with something like Angel Beats, which for once, I actually anticipated months ahead. I didn't bother watch it until it was all released.

Then there's Haruhi's Endless Eight. I actually kept pace with that and thoroughly enjoyed the pain of seeing each "same" episode with each week - wondering when will this nightmare end. It was even better seeing everyone else complain about it. Oh, what a joy THAT summer was.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 02:06   Link #8
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I think I was fortunate being late to Clannad or any KyoAni production, tbh.

But it is still fun to follow show live to see how people (over)react. (Madoka, Ore imo, etc)

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 02:27   Link #9
Archipelagoes

I personally love being late for the party, because I don't have to read all the hate comments about the anime that i am watching at the time.
Archipelagoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 08:10   Link #10
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I tend to not care one way or the other because for the most part I avoid all discussions on series I'm watching, especially if they're based on a manga/LN/VN I haven't read. People are way too reckless with even "minor" spoilers and for me it's not worth the risk. Saying stuff like "yeah it's really sad what happened to *spoiler*" etc. People don't get that a lot can still be spoiled without mentioning specific names or events. In one specific example I almost had the entire ending of Code Geass R2 spoiled for me a couple years back because some genius decided to put the last scene as his avatar, the same day that episode was released; if I'd waited to watch it a few hours later than I did it would have ruined it. Since then I stay far away from those threads with very few exceptions. (Yeah that particular example could have technically happened in any thread that user posted on but specific series threads obviously make it more likely).

Last edited by RWBladewing; 2011-04-17 at 08:23.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 09:12   Link #11
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

The biggest downfall of watching an anime after its completion is the dearth of current discussion. There might have been that one joke that sprained your sides, that one brilliant insight that enlightened you, that one epic moment which empowered you, etc... , and you want to share those feelings with someone else...

But there is no one.

Well, maybe not exactly zero, but the "emptiness" feeling will be there when you try to seek out others to talk about it. Most anime have a very brief shelf life. Very few achieve long-term fame, such as NGE or Haruhi. With such "blockbusters", the discussions continue well beyond their initial début.

In most cases however, whatever forum/thread you can find on a past anime will be dusty, stale and buried.

~~~~ ~~~~

It bugs me at times of course, because sometimes you just want to ask someone, "Did you get that?" "I totally did!" "Oh yeah! Hi-five!" "Bro-fist!"

It can be especially gnawing wondering to yourself whether you are the only person in the whole world who got it, because you couldn't Google any reference to it; and even if you did, you wondered whether the other person was still alive to respond to it, or even remembered it as you experienced it.

~~~~~ ~~~~

That said, there are still merits in watching old anime. Good anime will always be good unless there has been a fundamental change in society's base values. The animation may be outdated, the slang may be different, but a good story will always enthrall its audience.

You also have the benefit of others' hindsight. If certain traits appeal to you from an anime, you will know which one to look out for based on buzz from other people.

Hell, if I didn't watch old anime, I would never have gotten my Avatar.

Cheers.
Old 2011-04-17, 13:46   Link #12
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

I care very little for the fanbases of individual animes; groupthink is all too real of a psychological phenomenon, and I don't need anyone telling me how to feel about anime. That considered, watching an anime is best after it's run its course, so, as someone above said, you can be objective when you say "this sucks" or "this is actually pretty sweet."

Heck, if you're lucky, you'll be like me and catch an anime a year before interest is resparked in it by further works (Haruhi, Evangelion, and their respective movies). And on that note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Most anime have a very brief shelf life. Very few achieve long-term fame, such as NGE or Haruhi. With such "blockbusters", the discussions continue well beyond their initial début.
I would bet very strongly that the continuing success of Haruhi is because of how it's been released. Sure, it was a super big deal when it came out, but that hype was dying down. Then, of course, it was sprung on us that the rest of the series was going to get animated as well. We got a mediocre second season and a great movie, and because the movie was good, people got excited about the series again. If Haruhi has any staying power, it'll owe a good deal to its potential longevity. Heck, the same goes for NGE. Sure, people have always agreed it was great (or at least monumental), but it's only because it's come into the spotlight again with the Rebuild movies that discussions continue.
Old 2011-04-17, 14:24   Link #13
Eater of All
NOM

People early into the fandom don't care as much about discussions, since it's typical for them to marathon a series in like, 2 days, and then rave a bit to their IRL friends about how good/bad it was.

As they participate in the fandom longer though, the online community usually starts to become a larger part of their anime experience. Especially given how time passes 17 times faster in the Internet than in the real world, some naturally want to stay up-to-date about the most recent series. Friends on IRC, etc. can be making jokes and references to the latest episode of [insert series here], and it's no fun to let them all slip by.

But of course, there's also alot of anime fans who just don't give half a fetid dingo's kidneys about the community and simply watch whatever they want, whenever they want.

Wait what was the topic again. Oh right.

So for me, it usually depends on the series itself. For something like Kaiji or Akagi, it doesn't matter as much since they're anime that works just as well even if you marathon it alone. On the other hand, it was fun participating in speculations and discussions while Angel Beats was airing. Serial Experiments Lain too is definitely an anime that would benefit from active discussions between viewers (or else people would have no idea wtf they just watched).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Then there's Haruhi's Endless Eight. I actually kept pace with that and thoroughly enjoyed the pain of seeing each "same" episode with each week - wondering when will this nightmare end. It was even better seeing everyone else complain about it. Oh, what a joy THAT summer was.
Oh god this. Endless Eight was wildly entertaining because of all the rage and outburst from the community in response to it.
Old 2011-04-17, 15:45   Link #14
wigglypuff
Banned

yes...

but it's okay, that way i don't have to wait for the next episode...
wigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 19:58   Link #15
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I've said this before and I'll say it again, but I usually watch completed series, and then go back to the "Big Hits" from the previous season to see what all the ruckus was about. The last time I joined the party on an on-going anime was Occult Academy, and the last REALLY big anime I've followed weekly was Code Geass R2 (fan reactions toward the latter parts of it were entertainment in itself altogether). But usually, I'm too impatient too watch anything weekly anymore.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 21:42   Link #16
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well as long as you watch any anime if it late or just starting are you really missing out and if you dont watch it are you really missing out
Old 2011-04-17, 22:02   Link #17
Fome

I remember neglecting to watch Tora Dora for years because I heard that it was the archetypal tsundere anime that started the entire wave. I was so certain that it would be painful to watch the original tsundere show after being inundated with mediocre ripoffs. But it wasn't so at all. Tora Dora was amazing. It was so unambiguous to me which title was the original and which was the copycat--Tora Dora shined brighter than them all. No wonder everyone tried to copy it.

But I had nobody to discuss it with. That feeling sucked a lot.

That's my story.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 23:04   Link #18
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

I guess there's a different feeling when one watches an on-going series and when one watches an older series, however, a good series will always be good whenever you watch it regardless of when you watched it. I'm missing out lots of anime for the last 3 seasons, but it doesn't stop me from praising a good anime.
Old 2011-04-18, 04:35   Link #19
Echoes

Doesn't bother me one bit.

In fact, often when I find an ongoing show that I really love, I tend to put it on hold until it's completed to I can watch it at my own leisure.
Old 2011-04-18, 08:18   Link #20
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

I like being late to the party and watch the show all at one go. It makes it for a more cohesive experience rather than trying to wait for a next episode to air. When you finally watch that episode, you forget what happened previously. It happens with the series that are more thought-provoking which I usually prefer. If I can watch the show all in one go, it is easier for me to decide which anime is a keeper than rewatching the whole thing twice.

However lately, I've been watching the current series while it's on the air. Good thing, both of these shows are better than I thought. It's quite annoying to wait for a while to catch the next episodes.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote