AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Death Note Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 78 43.09%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 32.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 15.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 7.18%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.10%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.10%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-06, 15:12   Link #1
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Death Note Episode 1 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Death Note, Episode 1!

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:
Old 2006-10-06, 16:33   Link #2
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Perfect.

So far both main character's voice matched their identity well .. Couldn't wait for L's voice as well .. Nah, I'm joking .. I cant wait for Misa Misa

Adaptation from manga was perfect, altho as most people noted .. Raito's reaction when meeting Ryuuku was a bit .. erm .. missing.

If I have to nitpick .. then the only one I can complain is did he really go so maniac early? Dont think he quite lost it earlier >.<

All in all .. a perfect start to one of the greatest manga. I had goosebump when hearing ryuuku's voice ^^
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2006-10-07, 01:31   Link #3
Ottocycle

Anyone else thought they overpimped the mass writing of names? The overly sharp hand movements and the super shiny pen(or was it a mechanical pencil) for example. I thought translucent pan overs at various angles of people dying as he was writing would have been nice.

I liked the camera shaking though..

As for the voices, Miyano Mamoru did a great job as Raito, we can clearly hear his start to the path to madness here, while not losing his Tamaki charm.

Ryuk was..underwhelming? But good nonetheless. A fresh change from what I would expect Zaraki Kenpachi from Bleach to voice(generically).
Old 2006-10-07, 01:40   Link #4
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I suppose it was neccesary to give a feel that rather than just writing down names, Light was playing the ochestra of death, sending down (( self-proclaimed )) God's judgement to the evils of the world. Don't we always see exaggerated slams on the organ keys (( even when a smooth quick tap for quick interchanging patterns is the proper way to play organs )) and exaggerated camera angles during epic organ plays, this is pretty much the same thing, only with a mechanical pencil and a book.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2006-10-07, 04:57   Link #5
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
Anyone else thought they overpimped the mass writing of names?
I actually really loved that, just shows how crazy Light really is. He really does think of himself as a god.

Hmm... I wonder if I should give this episode a 9 or a 10... I'd give it a 10 but I know the next episode has an even higher potential so what would I give that then?
Old 2006-10-07, 05:35   Link #6
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Episode 1 Screencaps & Summary

Light is Light, the perfect model student who placed 1st the national mock exams... So of course he's gonna properly carry out his self-designed role of 'God' by writing names from night until dawn. I find it neat that he writes names in different languages... However, I wonder if there's a limitation to names in the Death Note, say, whether Light has to write the name in the language it was given. Like if he wants to kill someone named "John Doe", would he have to write it in English or the name in katakana would suffice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikaShika View Post
Hmm... I wonder if I should give this episode a 9 or a 10... I'd give it a 10 but I know the next episode has an even higher potential so what would I give that then?
I'd rate each episode to my own standards and not compare it with other episodes in the series or any other anime.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress

Last edited by Li Jianliang; 2006-10-07 at 06:48.
Old 2006-10-07, 06:13   Link #7
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang View Post

I'd rate each episode to my own standards and not compare it with other episodes in the series or any other anime.
After some consideration, that's what I thought as well, so I gave it a 10. But I'm reeeealy looking forward to the next episode.

Quote:
However, I wonder if there's a limitation to names in the Death Note, say, whether Light has to write the name in the language it was given. Like if he wants to kill someone named "John Doe", would he have to write it in English or the the name in katakana would suffice?
I'd say he'd have to write it in the language given, so katakana wouldn't work.
Old 2006-10-07, 06:22   Link #8
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Every death in Death Note due to the note is shown to be killed in their original given name. We can see that in this episode where there are both English and Japanese (( probably some other language too )) written in those 2 full pages. Not that it's a problem for Light anyway, being the capable of writing in English and Japanese and probably Chinese as well. As for other obscure languages like Thailand, he still needs to google the criminal's name and crime first, so it's all a matter of copying the lines.

This overall episode is pretty much a quality anime-setting up episode done tastefully. I've would've given it a 9 if not for Light's 2 minutes playing "The Conductor of Death" directing "The Orchestra of God's Judgement" that sealed it a 10. That scene was orgasmic.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2006-10-07, 06:33   Link #9
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang

I see, so then you just need to be named in a language that doesn't have a written form (I can't recall any off the top of my head) to be spared from the Death Note, or better yet, never be named in the first place. Would this be a loophole?

After watching the episode three times, I've also noticed that Light's eyes turn from brown to red as he use the Death Note. Neat, this is something that can't be executed as well in manga. ^_^ And the music, too; I can almost feel the glory of Light during his intensive late-night Death Note sessions. XDD

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Old 2006-10-07, 07:04   Link #10
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Ep 1
I gave it 10/10. Perfect.

I loved the opening, both song and sequence. It was powerful and there you can see most of the character who'll appear. The Light (red) vs L (blue) scenes were beautiful.

I really enjoyed the BGM and think they thought of it well, especially the "hymn" (I don't know what they're called in English) we hear in the Shinigami world.

Ryuk was better than I expected. He's not that ugly monster with annoying hoarse voice. Light was just awesome, his voice actor did a good job. Everything about the animation was good IMO. I can't wait to meet the rest of the characters.

I also love the ending, again, both song and sequence. I liked how the still image of composed Light suddenly changes to a maniac with wide open mouth one, then changes back, in synchronize with the song rythem. I think it has a blue feeling which made me a little sad...

Spoiler for manga chapters until the end of "1st part":

Just what on earth have you got yourself into, Yagami Light...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I've would've given it a 9 if not for Light's 2 minutes playing "The Conductor of Death" directing "The Orchestra of God's Judgement" that sealed it a 10. That scene was orgasmic.
I couldn't agree more, that scene was done magnificently. While it did differ a bit from the manga, but it had a great impact.

I love Death Note. Looking forward to the next episode.
Old 2006-10-07, 08:02   Link #11
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
We can see that in this episode where there are both English and Japanese (( probably some other language too )) written in those 2 full pages.
You know, it bugs me a little bit when people just say that anything written in the roman alphabet is written in English. There are quite a few other languages that utilizes that alphabet.
Old 2006-10-07, 08:50   Link #12
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikaShika View Post
You know, it bugs me a little bit when people just say that anything written in the roman alphabet is written in English. There are quite a few other languages that utilizes that alphabet.
Like Malay. But that's hardly the issue at hand.

Besides, there's no need to really look that deeply. It's not like we can genuinely make out the names written, and all it proves is that Light is comfortable with roman alphabets and Japanese/Chinese characters all around.

Edit : - Err..My mistake. We can make out some of the names written, though from what I skimmed through, mostly are really Chinese/Japanese and English/Names with romanized alphabets. Doesn't seem to have other particular languages though.

Last edited by Nightengale; 2006-10-07 at 09:01. Reason: Mistake
Old 2006-10-07, 09:23   Link #13
Karnot
Banned

Quote:
I thought translucent pan overs at various angles of people dying as he was writing would have been nice.
God, no ! Thats the way of doing it in the most boring way.
The story isnt quite filled with action as it is, especially the first half, so going a little out of the way to change a pace is good thinking.

Quote:
However, I wonder if there's a limitation to names in the Death Note
I, myself, wonder if there is a limit to how many names you can write before you run out of space. I mean, the story spans QUITE SOME TIME, and Light still had lots of pages.

Also, what counts as a person's name ? A name written in official papers ? A name given by parents ? A name as in how a person refers to himself ?
Old 2006-10-07, 09:35   Link #14
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Ive never read the manga but I thought the 1st epi was amazing! Tamaki's seiyuu I thought was perfect for Raito. Smexy!
I love the mass killing scene at the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
This overall episode is pretty much a quality anime-setting up episode done tastefully. I've would've given it a 9 if not for Light's 2 minutes playing "The Conductor of Death" directing "The Orchestra of God's Judgement" that sealed it a 10. That scene was orgasmic.
Amen! I couldnt agree more, I went back and watch it 2 more times!!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2006-10-07, 09:43   Link #15
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

Oh that was just amazing.I can't wait to see the rest of the serie.

I am pleasantly surprised at how they added new elements to the story while keeping the original story intact.All these little details that make the anime worth watching for those like me who read the manga.

Also the scene when Light starts mass killing criminals was superb!Very well done!
Old 2006-10-07, 10:02   Link #16
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnot View Post
God, no ! Thats the way of doing it in the most boring way.
The story isnt quite filled with action as it is, especially the first half, so going a little out of the way to change a pace is good thinking.

I, myself, wonder if there is a limit to how many names you can write before you run out of space. I mean, the story spans QUITE SOME TIME, and Light still had lots of pages.

Also, what counts as a person's name ? A name written in official papers ? A name given by parents ? A name as in how a person refers to himself ?
One of the unwritten rules to the Death Note: The Death Note will never run out of pages.

And for the second question, it's not any one of them. The only name that can be trusted can only be seen through a special method.

Oh, and Light can write in English, Japanese, Chinese, and Korean.
Old 2006-10-07, 10:38   Link #17
yura`

Gosh, I remember being blown away when I first started reading the manga, and amazed at how the plot is laid out, what with all the psychological twists and mind-games. The anime, being a different medium than paper, brought the introduction to life in a different way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
As for the voices, Miyano Mamoru did a great job as Raito, we can clearly hear his start to the path to madness here, while not losing his Tamaki charm.
I agree! Miyano Mamoru did an amazing job in portraying Light (or Raito, if you prefer). There were traces of Tamaki (well, probably because Ouran has recently ended), but I think that his charm has a dangerous edge to it now - somewhat frightening.

The descent to madness, I thought, was a bit too quick, but towards the end of the episode, we are shown in flashbacks, his initial hesitation and shock at what he possessed in his hands, and later, realization at the power he has now. His character transformation is almost shocking. (What kind of life has he led that he should descend into this darkness and madness?! Lol.)

The Gregorian chant-like music at the beginning and at the end really set the mood - the episode was dark and menacing the whole way through - so, so dark and sinister.

A very promising first episode which did not disappoint.
Old 2006-10-07, 11:03   Link #18
myopius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang View Post
However, I wonder if there's a limitation to names in the Death Note, say, whether Light has to write the name in the language it was given. Like if he wants to kill someone named "John Doe", would he have to write it in English or the name in katakana would suffice?
I'd say so. Edit: That is, I'd say he does have to write in the original language. Because
Spoiler for Manga, minor:

Although realistically the news wouldn't probably put names in katakana, wouldn't they? I mean, here in the States, we don't see Japanese names reported on the news in their original language. Probably just Ohba's oversight, since
Spoiler for Manga, very minor:

In response to the comment that someone without a name or without a language to their name couldn't be killed... This is just my theory, but maybe the lettering is only important as it relates to the phonetics of the name, so if there's a language out there with a phoneme in your name, it should do. Also, it's been stated in other places that even people who aren't specifically named may have a concept, unworded by heard to themselves in their own mind, that they associate with themselves. Edit: Oh yes, I recall now, it's a rule of the note:
Spoiler for Manga, major:

On the subject of people who can be killed,
Spoiler for Manga, major:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer
One of the unwritten rules to the Death Note: The Death Note will never run out of pages.
As Archer says, there is a rule saying the Death Note will never run out of pages. However,
Spoiler for Manga, minor:

On a side note, people may want to utilize the Q&A topic when they can.

Spoiler for Message to people who've read the entire manga.:

The episode's downloading right now for me, but I have to go out, so I'll just watch it all when I get back... Looking forward to that!

Last edited by myopius; 2006-10-07 at 14:30.
Old 2006-10-07, 11:10   Link #19
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Besides, there's no need to really look that deeply. It's not like we can genuinely make out the names written, and all it proves is that Light is comfortable with roman alphabets and Japanese/Chinese characters all around.

Edit : - Err..My mistake. We can make out some of the names written, though from what I skimmed through, mostly are really Chinese/Japanese and English/Names with romanized alphabets. Doesn't seem to have other particular languages though.
Just confirmed. I saw some written in Hangul (Korean).

I could only find Roman alphabet, Chinese characters/Japanese kanji, and Hangul.
Perhaps, over the course, we'll see Arabic, Thai, and others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius
Although realistically the news wouldn't probably put names in katakana, wouldn't they? I mean, here in the States, we don't see Japanese names reported on the news in their original language.
True, but Light is sitting in front of a PC... and it's very easy for Japanese to look up actual spelling of people.
Besides, I'm sure he didn't use "the Television news" to get all those names.
You think Japanese TV broadcasts hundreds of american criminal names (even ones in jail) every day? hehe.
I'm sure he looked up known criminal names on the internet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by aohige; 2006-10-07 at 19:10.
Old 2006-10-07, 12:23   Link #20
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Does anyone know how Japanese fans have reacted to Miyano Mamoru's performance as Light in episode 1? I'm curious because English-speaking fans have expressed a wide range of opinions with no real consensus as of yet. (For the record, I thought he did a fine job, although there were one or two weak lines.)
Closed Thread