AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 307 57.28%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 139 25.93%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 48 8.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 3.17%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 1.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 1.12%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.19%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 1.49%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-22, 02:16   Link #41
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

U can't fully enjoy this show if u r not in the mood for it, or if u r not familiar with the japanese culture enuf.

This show is the classic example of resolve > everything, a very traditional theme in the japanese culture, "if we put our hearts to it, there's nothing we cannot do!" A show that follows so closely with this theme cannot possibly be "realistic", if u are looking for realistic, u r watching the wrong show, its like watching "the notebook" but looking for violence and gore.

With that said, i give this show a solid 7.5/10, it was a fun ride to say the least, the outageous stuff Simon (even Kamina) put us through was hella fun. I'm a fan of more realistic scenarios, but I cant help but getting all fired up when i watch this show, Simon really showed us what resolve can achieve, and the plot deaths that happened throughout the show really drove the show forward, excellent storywriting

All it all it was a fun show, afterall, "WHO THE FK DO YOU THINK WE ARE!" desho?
Old 2007-10-26, 05:56   Link #42
Khaos

Thumbs up

For me this is the most perfect anime ever made.
I can't describe it well, it is just perfect beyond any criticism about technical details.

It is genuine in every aspect...just take that little dream-scene of Viral with family, just seeing this dream which seems so different from his harsh appearance makes you cry.

This all is beyond every neurotic Love-Comedy-Anime, beyond every corny standard mecha-anime, beyond nearly everything which has been made so far.

It is everyting, it is epic, geniune, moving, some scenes make you fall from your chair laughing, others let the tears flow without end. At some points it is full of tragedy but never loses hope, it is action, SF, giant GIANT GIIAAAANNNNTTT robots, Spaceships, battles, heroes. It shows forgiveness and union of all beings against their collective enemy, the force that represses evolution and progression through violent oppression and total destruction. It is a very very strong message, a very positive message, that does NOT close its eyes before negative aspects but which encloses and dissolves them.
Old 2007-10-26, 07:39   Link #43
s[H]sIkuA
Drill Drill Drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
For me this is the most perfect anime ever made.
I can't describe it well, it is just perfect beyond any criticism about technical details.

It is genuine in every aspect...just take that little dream-scene of Viral with family, just seeing this dream which seems so different from his harsh appearance makes you cry.

This all is beyond every neurotic Love-Comedy-Anime, beyond every corny standard mecha-anime, beyond nearly everything which has been made so far.

It is everyting, it is epic, geniune, moving, some scenes make you fall from your chair laughing, others let the tears flow without end. At some points it is full of tragedy but never loses hope, it is action, SF, giant GIANT GIIAAAANNNNTTT robots, Spaceships, battles, heroes. It shows forgiveness and union of all beings against their collective enemy, the force that represses evolution and progression through violent oppression and total destruction. It is a very very strong message, a very positive message, that does NOT close its eyes before negative aspects but which encloses and dissolves them.
Agree with everything you have said
I am rolling on my bed laughing when Kamina and Simon first gattai, the way he just simply grab Lagann and smash it to Gurren's top
Old 2007-10-27, 14:32   Link #44
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

9/10 : -1 for killing off nia

all in all the series is very good
Old 2007-10-27, 19:37   Link #45
Coolness Bears

It was excellent! It was a really fast paced, action packed show. The animation was beautiful and the storyline was great. I loved all the characters and thoroughly enjoyed it.

9/10
Old 2007-10-28, 23:40   Link #46
Vicious108

6/10

Fairly entretaining at times, but still one of the most overhyped and overrated anime of all time.
Old 2007-10-29, 10:09   Link #47
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

the end was a bit fast paced.

getting stronger and stronger and bigger drills
people dying everywhere
and our hero ending up a bum

But all in all a very good show
Old 2007-10-29, 10:25   Link #48
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
6/10

Fairly entretaining at times, but still one of the most overhyped and overrated anime of all time.
overrated and overhypedness aside.
objectively is it still a six?
Animation quality not sufficient?
Sound dodgy?
Storyline too plain?

I mean if this show is a six you must have very high standards. because i know a lot of anime that are more cliched, have worse animation and sound and are still fairly entertaining
Old 2007-10-29, 14:06   Link #49
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Send a message via MSN to Dave1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast_within View Post
overrated and overhypedness aside.
objectively is it still a six?
Animation quality not sufficient?
Sound dodgy?
Storyline too plain?

I mean if this show is a six you must have very high standards. because i know a lot of anime that are more cliched, have worse animation and sound and are still fairly entertaining
Maybe he doesn't watch crap shows like Narutard, Bleah and FOOD anime? Maybe. Though a 6 is still a bit too harsh.

Overrated and overhyped? WTF?

Outside of a few forums TTG-L is still a fairly unkown anime.
Old 2007-10-29, 14:09   Link #50
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1988 View Post
Maybe he doesn't watch crap shows like Narutard, Bleah and FOOD anime? Maybe. Though a 6 is still a bit too harsh.

Overrated and overhyped? WTF?

Outside of a few forums TTG-L is still a fairly unkown anime.

You have no idea...
Old 2007-10-29, 14:30   Link #51
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post

You have no idea...
Really now...Enlighten me then ;p
Old 2007-10-29, 15:22   Link #52
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

I've been rewatching the whole series as of late because I forced my anime club to watch it, and by far it's the most loved show of the evening. I always get annoyed because people seem to leave right after it's done. Hahaha. I'm ok with that though: the series is even more incredible the second time through.
Old 2007-10-29, 15:59   Link #53
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Really now...Enlighten me then ;p
http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

And I agree with RyugaElliot, the show gains loads of points through revisiting. Specially Kamina's and Rossiu's arcs.
Old 2007-10-29, 17:18   Link #54
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

And I agree with RyugaElliot, the show gains loads of points through revisiting. Specially Kamina's and Rossiu's arcs.
Ok...I didn't see that coming... Not that I'm complaining
Old 2007-10-29, 22:27   Link #55
Kirarakim

I love Gurren Lagann but it is what I would call overrated. I mean there are lot of series from 2007 that I think are just as good or better than GL (Terra e, Denno Coil, Mononoke) and I would be happy if those series got half the attention Gurren Lagann gets.

Although just because something is popular doesn't mean it doesn't deserve its praise.
Old 2007-10-30, 00:45   Link #56
ElementSun

Is it popular? I don't really know anyone else who has seen this anime outside of these forums. Oh well, go figure.
Old 2007-10-30, 03:10   Link #57
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I love Gurren Lagann but it is what I would call overrated. I mean there are lot of series from 2007 that I think are just as good or better than GL (Terra e, Denno Coil, Mononoke) and I would be happy if those series got half the attention Gurren Lagann gets.

Although just because something is popular doesn't mean it doesn't deserve its praise.
I won't argue about the two other shows because I don't follow them but Dennou Coil....

No just no....

As great as the premise was the show killed it off thanks to its horribly slow pacing. It's just dragging along now which makes me a sad panda

...and Mononoke is probably to "artsy" for most people.
Old 2007-10-30, 17:08   Link #58
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

8/10

Old Simoun had a tired look, sad

A little over hyped, but not much. I wouldn't say perfect anime, but I wouldn't call any show perfect, not my favorite, but a great show none the less.

I wonder if poor Yoko found another love.

Last edited by Messerschmitt_Bf-109; 2007-10-30 at 20:55.
Old 2007-10-30, 21:47   Link #59
Kirarakim

Quote:
I won't argue about the two other shows because I don't follow them but Dennou Coil....

No just no....

As great as the premise was the show killed it off thanks to its horribly slow pacing. It's just dragging along now which makes me a sad panda

...and Mononoke is probably to "artsy" for most people.
I am going to have to respectively disagree with you I don't think there is anything slow about Dennou Coil. But I think I enjoy Dennou Coil for different reasons than Gurren Lagann so they are both great for me.

I think you are right about Mononoke.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2007-10-30 at 22:05.
Old 2007-10-31, 06:40   Link #60
TrueKnight

Things that Gurren Lagann had instead of other shows:

- Hotblood.
- Giant mechs beating the crap out of each other.
- Bad ass main chars, especially Simon.
- Ep 8, Ep 15, Ep 22 and Ep 25-27.

The most important thing though, was the hotbloodness, watching TTGL always screamed epicness. While other shows emphasized on complex storytelling, TTGL has hotblood combined with somewhat-decent story. The story is easy to follow filled with awesome characters. What's not to like?
Closed Thread