Newbie arimasen

* Hao suddenly pops out of nowhere and yells:

'Somebody plz sub this OVA...............'

* Hao quickly jumps away and hides scared of getting 'attacked' by moderator
Old 2004-05-06, 09:16   Link #22
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Don't worry - just like OT the series, 538751292 groups are subbing this OVA. They're just taking their time, that's all, I'm sure...
Old 2004-05-06, 10:13   Link #23
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

well, you won't see it on animesuki most likely since it IS episode 13 of the licensed series...
Old 2004-05-06, 21:25   Link #24
Seiryuu

Sorry Babbit. Wasn't trying to contradict you or anything. I just thought that statements like "inexperienced" and "not all that interested" might be misleading to those who haven't seen the series. I will agree that, compared to legitimate ecchi series like Iketeru Futari or countless others, they are not "interested" in sex. Perhaps a better description would be that none of them are in a situation where sex becomes an issue. Whether they think about it or are interested is one thing, whether they would ever even consider acting upon such urges is something else entirely. Obviously Miina was interested from early on. Her little dream sequence was rather blunt. And as for Maiku, "Which one is related? Which one is related????" Not many forces can disturb a man to that extent. I agree that sex is not a big part of most of the series. I just think it's more that their own sense of right and wrong won't even let them consider actually acting upon the situation.
Anyway, that's all rather pointless to discuss. Now that I've seen the episode, I'm worried about Karen. She may not be the one hovering on the edge of full-scale romance, but I think her conception of the nature of a brother/sister relationship is a little warped. She seems to think that ANYTHING is OK now, since they're twins, whether it be sneaking into his bed at night(just to sleep) or washing each other's backs in the bath. I can understand being clingy, but Karen takes things from affection to absurdity and beyond. At the same time, Miina seems to have become every bit as timid and shy as Karen once was. She can still blow up in Maiku's face, but more often than not she acts like she's walking on eggshells.
On a side note, I'm starting to speculate how long it would take after 13 for Haruko's onii-chan to finally die of blood loss. There was less blood in the recent Freddy-vs-Jason movie.
Old 2004-05-07, 04:17   Link #25
FlyByNite

OMG KEI TALKED! KEI TALKED!

MULTIPLE LINES!!! lol

I always find it kinda kinky he continues to call her Sensei btw...

Anyway it was really REALLY ecchi. Those slow-mo breasts bouncing? LMFAO!
Old 2004-05-07, 04:55   Link #26
darkwave
Manual Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
OMG KEI TALKED! KEI TALKED!

MULTIPLE LINES!!! lol

I always find it kinda kinky he continues to call her Sensei btw...

Anyway it was really REALLY ecchi. Those slow-mo breasts bouncing? LMFAO!
Why the hell did they not show the teacher's breast? How lame... They keep showing Miina... >_<
Old 2004-05-07, 08:53   Link #27
SimplyEd
Claytard

I have said so before and i will say so again: the fact that an "onegai-show" is generally considered "nice" is in fact its downfall. I mean, come on, place a mirror in front of yourself and say: "i didn't want to watch this show because of a "subtle" incest overtone"......you will see the face of a liar.
The "OVA" or let's say episode 13 was rather enjoyable, heck it was better than any of the other 12 episodes...by far. Still it makes you wonder, should they have started the show with exactly this episode and made it a true ecchi comedy instead of something half-assed with no specific genre?
This show wasn't "well-developed" at all, it was rather flawed in any department.
There was nearly no character development (they only kept on repeating a certain scripted and predictable pattern of behaviour, there was no attempt of breaking any of these patterns at all or if they tried to do so it was more ridiculous than anything else, like the pseudo-gay guy..i forgot his name), the plot was just a fake try to stir up some emotions. Do you really think that there would have been any incest or let's say TENSION or CONFLICT in this show? There was so much potential, yet it was all thrown out of the window in favour of some happy-go-lucky "love-alliance" plot that never really took off to begin with.
What was this anime all about? Was it actually going anywhere? My answer will always be NO.
Personally i would have wished for this show to be a bit darker, less clean and simple minded..i would have liked for the main characters to go through some real ordeal at least. I know there are lots of people out there who would go like "OMG OMG INCEST..THATS IMMORAL, THATS DIRTY..LETS GET OUR GUNS TO SHOOT THOSE PRO-INCEST FOLKS" but that's a weak argument since we are talking about a fictional world with fictional characters here.
Don't misunderstand me, i'm not saying that this show should have contained incest (like in ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE), while on the other hand i wouldn't have felt bad about it at all, if it did. The thing is, that i felt this anime didn't care about its own theme or got terribly lost on its way. For a comedy it wasn't that funny, for an ecchi show it had some lousy fanservice, for a seriously themed anime it simply took out any possible tension before it could develop into something deeper.
Old 2004-05-07, 12:21   Link #28
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I don't agree that episode 13 was better than the rest of the show by any stretch. Given that, I don't follow the rest of this.

I do not find meaner-spirited shows to be worthwhile, whether they contain fanservice or not; therefore I do not see why this show's light-heartedness and kindness to its characters is a failing. If this show was made more in the mold of m*o*e's offerings I certainly wouldn't find much to talk about at this stage.

Character development is always about following a "scripted pattern" as each show must follow a script. Characters do not need to be unpredictable to be understandable, well-rounded and likable; in fact the opposite is often true. Regardless of what you were looking for in terms of an "ordeal" for the characters, they were shown to have undergone and to be in a throes of a "crisis" regarding having a place in the world that they could call home.

I don't think this series needs to be defended from any charges about its plot. The plot was minimal and served merely to set up its theme and scenes. Many good and very good short series tend to shy away from complex plots.

The fact that the show did not live up to your expectations does not make it meaningless or themeless, it just means that it came up with themes which you did not appreciate or failed to notice. This is not the best series I ever saw, but labelling it a complete failure does not do it justice.
Old 2004-05-07, 14:15   Link #29
actionPak

is there going to be an episode 14? cuz this episode ended quite abruptly
Old 2004-05-07, 14:20   Link #30
SimplyEd
Claytard

Well, i pretty much described why i didn't enjoy this show as much as i probably should have then. I never said that it was meaningless or themeless at any point, i just stated that for ME it just did a poor job of conveying all those "appreciative" or "subtle" plot elements. I don't even hate this show or have it listed under my top 10 most disliked anime shows to begin with.

The feeling i had while watching it, would be best described as boredom....and being lost on what was actually going on there..mind you, not in a way of failing to conceive plot,setting,characters and whatnot, but in a way of asking myself what this show is all about anyway. It just felt as if nothing at all happened there.

I have to remark that i too don't find meaner-spirited shows to be more worthwhile (for instance i practically worship Aishiteruze Baby and many other shojo series out there,be it anime or manga..most of them are not known for their excessive level of bloodshed) and i'm not so fixed on fanservice myself (although i do appreciate it, as long as it is kept on a tolerable level).
So i'm pretty much okay with "light-heartedness" or "kindness" in any given medium but i think in this case it failed to deliver...that's a completely subjective opinion.

Also i'm not so sure about that "kindness" department.
Let's take the characters Tsubaki (black haired female sempai) and Shimazaki ( the pseudo-gay guy) ..i hope i got their names right.
In what way were the producers "kind" to those characters? Suddenly Shimazaki turns out as a straight guy that played the role of a gay guy because he is a lusty pervert of heart......riiiiiiight. And then we have Tsubaki who felt attracted to Maiku (i really liked the thought of a possible relationship between them) and ended up as Shimazakis girlfriend although she formerly despised him because of his lack of control. This whole plot arc was just plain stupid, only introduced to quickly get rid of possible obstacles along the "love alliance" plot thingy. Pretty convenient i have to say.

I do appreciate it if character happen to develop themselves "off-script" or unpredictable. Of course there will always be the general idea of a character that won't change from the way it was thought up by its creator, but there are ways to display erratic or surprising development, although it is, in essence, an illusion. I know that they can be well-rounded and likeable the other way round but i usually get bored if they happen to act too stereotyped and flat..without surprises during the course of the show. And i don't like ridiculous developments like in the case stated above.

In terms of "crisis"...i would have to say that most tension was taken out of the show very quickly..it wasn't before long that the main motto was "we could be,or we could not be related". Obviously i didn't appreciate this much. I appreciated the "searching for a save home" idea though.

All-in-all i think it is a mediocre show..not too good and not too shabby...and i want to restate one more time: My opinion is just that, my opinion. I don't intend to convince anybody of my standpoint but i want to display why i didn't like certain elements..or why i liked some others. I don't intend on spoiling the fun of others or make this show "meaningless" in any way.
Sometimes it's just a whole lot easier to find "failures" over "merits".
Old 2004-05-07, 14:23   Link #31
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionPak
is there going to be an episode 14? cuz this episode ended quite abruptly
no it's over and done with
Old 2004-05-07, 17:02   Link #32
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyEd
...All-in-all i think it is a mediocre show..not too good and not too shabby...and i want to restate one more time: My opinion is just that, my opinion. I don't intend to convince anybody of my standpoint but i want to display why i didn't like certain elements..or why i liked some others. I don't intend on spoiling the fun of others or make this show "meaningless" in any way.
Sometimes it's just a whole lot easier to find "failures" over "merits".
Fair enough. I am guilty of overdefending my position "against" you and also Seiryuu and I apologize to both of you. I certainly did not think you (or Seiryuu) were trying to trash the show.

In my first post I started out defending the show as not being "hentai" or written in a way that just got the girls from bath scene to bath scene, but my case isn't going to get any better no matter how many times I write it ^_^;;;

You made a good point about the minor characters; as the "obligatory sidestory" it was clumsily handled and not as kind to those characters as I generalized the show to be. The other minor characters didn't fare much better.
Old 2004-05-07, 18:20   Link #33
7thMethuselah

this OVA was a real ecchi fest. Bath scene upon swimsuit scene and then some very suggestive stuff as well . Fanservice Heaven

As expected the story doesn't really progress apart from the fact that
Spoiler:

I must say the ghost thingie was rather weird... Anyway an excellent OVA to end Onegai twins
Old 2004-05-07, 18:30   Link #34
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Wow.

So.. much..jiggling.. and Mizuho popped *nosebleed rocket to the moon*
Old 2004-05-07, 23:39   Link #35
Hao Asakura
Newbie arimasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
I must say the ghost thingie was rather weird...
Yeah. What's the point of that ghostly character? It's really un-related to the OT story. And the ending is not that good either.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-05-08, 01:54   Link #36
7thMethuselah

I guess they just wanted to give it a weird twist at the end. Too bad that Karen acted completely different from her usual silent and shy self, it became (a bit) annoying in the end. But all in all I think the episode was great.

I mean OP -bedscene - bathscene - more bathscene - bikini scene - Mizuhi's bikini pops scene - suggestive bed scenes - strip scene - ED How can you not like that kind of an episode
I think I lost a gallon of blood during the episode due to nosebleeds
Old 2004-05-08, 08:02   Link #37
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyEd
Well, i pretty much described why i didn't enjoy this show as much as i probably should have then. I never said that it was meaningless or themeless at any point, i just stated that for ME it just did a poor job of conveying all those "appreciative" or "subtle" plot elements.
I feel the same way. For me, those incestual undertones and "subtle" plot elements you spoke of had a good potential of presenting an interesting tension between different kinds of relationships and obligations--or an interesting contrast between blurred boundaries. It would've been a good slap on the face, and would've forced, at the very least, marginal degree of critical thinking.

I do however feel that Onegai Teacher had more tension despite its "my teacher is an alien," premise. Twins on the other hand, didn't really focus on such a whacked idea--and that's quite the irony for me right there. Just my two cents btw.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the series for what it was.

Quote:
And then we have Tsubaki who felt attracted to Maiku (i really liked the thought of a possible relationship between them) and ended up as Shimazakis girlfriend although she formerly...
Heh, glad to know I'm not alone on this one.
Old 2004-05-08, 12:34   Link #38
Kyuven

the series started off so good then ended so bad so fast...
10 episodes of dorking around, 2 episodes of actual plot, 1 episode of concentrated fanservice
Old 2004-05-08, 14:19   Link #39
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Well this is the last episode and it has been subbed, and i believe the series were good ..The OST was also great
Old 2004-05-08, 15:07   Link #40
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I liked the OVA - it expanded on what was shown in the last few minutes of episode 12, which begged the question "How are we going to move on, now that we know the truth". Sure, it was very much a "bonus" episode, as was episode 13 of Teacher, but they still managed to, like Teacher, add depth to the characters even though the main story is done. And yes, there was lots of fanservice in this episode, but it was still presented in the Onegai Twins style, which is heavy on suggestion, and low on actual activity. The real focus was still on the characters, and it was a good way to close this story of these three.

Anyway, Onegai Twins is one of my favorite shows - I even preferred it over Teacher. What I mostly liked is the characters and the emotional drama - that was really what the show was about, I think. The "ecchi" was funny, and added a good dose of spice to the mix, but I, for one, never felt that it was the focus of the show. Although some accuse Twins of being light on plot, I found it quite believable - the show was about the characters and their interactions with each other more than what was going on in the world around them. I'm definitely buying on DVD as soon as it comes out, and I'm looking forward to seeing if there will be an Onegai #3!
Closed Thread