Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-02-27, 04:21   Link #1341
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
PC gaming in Japan tends to be limited to mostly visual novels and web browser based gaming (as far as I'm aware). Console and portable gaming (including mobile apps) reap alot more money for Japanese developers, which is why you don't see as many big AAA Japanese games on the PC.
I don't think consoles are any more portable than PCs.

Finally Wii and DS's online services stop. Makes you feel a generation's end.
I guess the main game that will be affected is Super Smash Brothers? At least from what I can think up. Mario Kart moved to the 3DS as well as Pokemon.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 04:54   Link #1342
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Isn't graphics, like, the selling point of recent Playstation consoles? But if the PC can be even stronger, then why are there games on those Playstation consoles?
Because updating your pc every two years costs a fuckload more than buying a single playstation once every 7-10 years.

Looks @ new Titan card that retails for $1300, thinks why was this question even asked

Btw please find my a pc that costs as much as a ps4 that can run tomb raider @ 60fps with tress fx running, oh wait you can't.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 14:12   Link #1343
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Because updating your pc every two years costs a fuckload more than buying a single playstation once every 7-10 years.

Looks @ new Titan card that retails for $1300, thinks why was this question even asked

Btw please find my a pc that costs as much as a ps4 that can run tomb raider @ 60fps with tress fx running, oh wait you can't.
lol I guess I hit a nerve of a Sony hardware fan, but please at least use a level of proper English or something (~, thinks why this question was even asked <-- ?).
In the end, you can only think of what becomes an advantage for you. When asked why you don't choose better graphics, you say it costs too much. But in that case, you could just buy a 3DS, the cheapest of available systems. Console-wise, the WiiU exists as cheaper. But no, then you say the graphics aren't good enough.
In conclusion, only the conditions that "fit" PS systems are allowed.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2014-02-27 at 14:24.
Old 2014-02-27, 15:50   Link #1344
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
When asked why you don't choose better graphics, you say it costs too much. But in that case, you could just buy a 3DS, the cheapest of available systems. Console-wise, the WiiU exists as cheaper. But no, then you say the graphics aren't good enough.
In conclusion, only the conditions that "fit" PS systems are allowed.
Not really, you’re veering into strawmen territory there.

The cost differential between a gaming PC setup and a console is quite substantial, something you don’t seem to want to acknowledge, same goes for using the 3DS in your argument – it’s a much more different form factor with a significantly different software support.

Your argument is akin to someone saying that people who buy cheaper performance cars like BRZ/Focus ST/GTI etc. are “biased” because they aren’t buying supercars from Ferrari/Lambo etc, therefore they must not care about performance. And if that’s the case, why didn’t those people buy a Smart car or any of the multitudes of 3-banger econobox?

Basically, you completely ignored factors such as affordability, cost effectiveness, intended usage and min. performance expectation, and reduced it all to an either-or proposition for some unknown reason.

Most drivers that want some pep under the hood aren’t going to be able/want to buy expensive cars, but that doesn’t mean they have to settle with a grocery getter.

The same thing goes for gamers – there are many for whom a gaming PC would be out of their budget, and just like the car crowd, just because they can’t afford a PC or find it cost-effective, doesn’t mean they don’t care about the performance aspect of it, or that they should settle for the least.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 17:08   Link #1345
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
It does if one of its selling points is the looks.
Senran Kagura's selling point is 3D boobs, not the amount of polygons it can push.
Old 2014-02-27, 18:06   Link #1346
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
The cost differential between a gaming PC setup and a console is quite substantial, something you don’t seem to want to acknowledge, same goes for using the 3DS in your argument – it’s a much more different form factor with a significantly different software support.

Your argument is akin to someone saying that people who buy cheaper performance cars like BRZ/Focus ST/GTI etc. are “biased” because they aren’t buying supercars from Ferrari/Lambo etc, therefore they must not care about performance. And if that’s the case, why didn’t those people buy a Smart car or any of the multitudes of 3-banger econobox?

Basically, you completely ignored factors such as affordability, cost effectiveness, intended usage and min. performance expectation, and reduced it all to an either-or proposition for some unknown reason.

Most drivers that want some pep under the hood aren’t going to be able/want to buy expensive cars, but that doesn’t mean they have to settle with a grocery getter.

The same thing goes for gamers – there are many for whom a gaming PC would be out of their budget, and just like the car crowd, just because they can’t afford a PC or find it cost-effective, doesn’t mean they don’t care about the performance aspect of it, or that they should settle for the least.
Nn~ As a person who has never cared about cars, I have absolutely no idea what you are comparing around. (;´∀`)
I hear that a Ferrari is amazing (or at least expensive), but I don't know why.

And yeah, you are right. There are many factors to choosing something other than just graphics. Which kind of answers why there is reason to put Kagura on the 3DS than a "superior (*snort*)" console.

Old 2014-02-28, 00:02   Link #1347
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Not really, you’re veering into strawmen territory there.

See, my problem is they act as if they did own something that's better than everything else instead of a "good enough for what I want and what I can afford" machine. Taking your analogy, if some dumbass goes up to an owner of a Bugatti Veyron and starts takling like his Focus ST is the GOAT, how do you think said dumbass is going to be treated?
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 04:08   Link #1348
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross View Post
See, my problem is they act as if they did own something that's better than everything else instead of a "good enough for what I want and what I can afford" machine. Taking your analogy, if some dumbass goes up to an owner of a Bugatti Veyron and starts takling like his Focus ST is the GOAT, how do you think said dumbass is going to be treated?
Well, Sony themselves look down on people though, calling the Nintendo consoles "kiddy" or whatever and describing their own consoles as high-quality restaurants (or whatever that was).
It is no surprise they have the most aggressive and shameless worshipers around.

Old 2014-02-28, 09:55   Link #1349
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
There are elitists snobs in every crowd, whether it’s PC, PS4, XB1, and yes, even the 3DS/Wii U. Trying to label the entire community based on the action of said snobs is where you guys err.

Quote:
Well, Sony themselves look down on people though, calling the Nintendo consoles "kiddy" or whatever and describing their own consoles as high-quality restaurants (or whatever that was).
It is no surprise they have the most aggressive and shameless worshipers around.
Feel free to look above and put yourself into the appropriate camp.

Last edited by kyp275; 2014-02-28 at 10:54.
Old 2014-02-28, 10:58   Link #1350
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
There are elitists snobs in every crowd, whether it’s PC, PS4, XB1, and yes, even the 3DS/Wii U. Trying to label the entire community based on the action of said snobs is where you guys err.
I've had the "pleasure" of talking to a many of these fans (and reading the posts of many more) and I can use one hand to count how many of them don't act like that.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 11:31   Link #1351
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
I've had the "pleasure" of talking to a many of these fans (and reading the posts of many more) and I can use one hand to count how many of them don't act like that.
Now make a somewhat educated guess at how many people you’ve actually talked to, and compare that to the number of systems sold, and then try to make the same generalization again with a straight face.

You know those people who had bad experience with their bf/gf, and then decided that every member of the same gender as their spurned lovers must be terrible human beings? You know how silly they sounded?

You are doing the exact same thing.
Old 2014-02-28, 13:12   Link #1352
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Perhaps the "entire" group is not "bad", but without a doubt, there is a certain group that is either overly loud and thus seems to be large in number or actually large in number.
Well, at least kyp275 isn't trying to defend Sony themselves for being crap.

Old 2014-02-28, 13:14   Link #1353
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Edit: ^ To err is to make a mistake.

So I'm just noting that there are plenty of high up sony people who appreciate Wii U/ other nintendo stuff. They are just focusing on different stuff than Nintendo does.

I tend to prefer Nintendo, but I don't dislike Sony. I had/have a PS 1,2,3. I probably won't be getting a PS4 for a while... Though I also had/have a Game Cube, Wii, Wii U, DS/3DS.

Personally, I stick to Nintendo stuff more because I don't like FPS games/games which feel overly dark to me, so I stick towards Nintendo games that explore interesting concepts in a more lighthearted manner than Sony game produces do on their consoles.

I think the 3DS is a great console with some really good games right now, and it's getting a lot of better games soon enough. Bravely Default, Fire Emblem Awakening, Pokemon X/Y, Zelda Link between Worlds, Zelda Ocarina of Time, and many others of course. There are a lot of games that will also probably be localized, but that just haven't been localized yet. And there are many more games to come including of course Super Smash Bros 3ds.

The reason Sony/Nintendo fans hate each other is likely because there are instigators on both sides claiming that their side is better. It isn't really about what 's better, it's just about personal taste. I usually like Nintendo games better because that's the kind of style I prefer. I also really like some PS3 games on Sony consoles, and DQ VIII on PS 2 is amazing, but I think whether one or the other sucks has been getting more than a little exaggerated lately.

Unfortunately for Sony, it's losing money on everything except gaming... Nintendo is also losing money, but they're both trying to reverse their fortunes. I don't see why we should be killing the competition instead of helping it survive. If it dies, then growth will be stagnant, and we'll get much less new ideas/new stuff in gaming and it'll be a lot more boring with lower quality games.

Regardless, I really like the 3ds. I'm hoping more people will buy it because it's a lot better than most people might think it is. Streetpass by itself already makes it amazing...
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 13:25   Link #1354
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
So I'm just noting that there are plenty of high up sony people who appreciate Wii U/ other nintendo stuff. They are just focusing on different stuff than Nintendo does.
Ah, so they are tsundere! Sony seems so cute now
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/pl...tool-50003463/
http://www.businessinsider.com/anoth...console-2009-4
Japanese Side

*Waits for kyp275 to start pointing fingers and saying that they are not representative of Sony in general because Sony has oh-so-many (and decreasing) number of employees*

Old 2014-02-28, 14:13   Link #1355
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Perhaps the "entire" group is not "bad", but without a doubt, there is a certain group that is either overly loud and thus seems to be large in number or actually large in number.
Perhaps one day you will grasp the concept that is known as statistics.

Quote:
Personally, I stick to Nintendo stuff more because I don't like FPS games/games which feel overly dark to me, so I stick towards Nintendo games that explore interesting concepts in a more lighthearted manner than Sony game produces do on their consoles.
/thumbsup

Quote:
The reason Sony/Nintendo fans hate each other is likely because there are instigators on both sides claiming that their side is better. It isn't really about what's better, it's just about personal taste
Indeed, but blind fanboys will be fanboys, whether they be Sony/Nintendo/MS, or Apple/Samsung or whatever, some just can’t come to grips with the fact that their personal taste may not be the universal gold standard.

Quote:
Unfortunately for Sony, it's losing money on everything except gaming... Nintendo is also losing money, but they're both trying to reverse their fortunes. I don't see why we should be killing the competition instead of helping it survive. If it dies, then growth will be stagnant, and we'll get much less new ideas/new stuff in gaming and it'll be a lot more boring with lower quality games.
A common misconception for some odd reason, considering that the information is freely available to anyone who care to look. Gaming is actually among the smallest revenue generator for Sony, with the major profit generator being their banking/finance service, and entertainment arms (who here knew that Sony owns Breaking Bad? )

The ones that were eating up all the profits are the PC (being sold off) and the TV(spun into subsidiary) divisions.

Quote:
*Waits for kyp275 to start pointing fingers and saying that they are not representative of Sony in general because Sony has oh-so-many (and decreasing) number of employees*
I hope you realize the more you post, the worse you make yourself and fellow Nintendo fans look. All you’ve done in here is practicing the exact same thing you accuse Sony fanboys of doing.

And before you try, no, I’m not a “Sony fan”, the vast majority of my gaming time are spent on PCs as I subscribe to a couple MMOs. As for consoles I pretty much own all the hardware for both Sony AND Nintendo. You see, I’m actually a believer in the radical concept that one should buy a system for the GAME they want to play on it, not the other way around, and screw blind loyalty to some corporation who really don’t give two shits about you other than what’s in your wallet.
Old 2014-02-28, 14:35   Link #1356
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Perhaps one day you will grasp the concept that is known as statistics.
Nothing to do with it. You are trying to say the ones that make the noise is the minority. I'm saying a certain group makes the most noise. Which does not contradict your statement. Nor does your "statistics (<-- no stats)" contradict it.

Quote:
I hope you realize the more you post, the worse you make yourself and fellow Nintendo fans look. All you’ve done in here is practicing the exact same thing you accuse Sony fanboys of doing.
Ah yes, reality is trolling. How... How could I put links to what Sony actually said! Yes, I understand. Sony isn't wrong for saying things. We are wrong for telling others they said it! (Eh?)

Old 2014-02-28, 15:21   Link #1357
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Nothing to do with it. You are trying to say the ones that make the noise is the minority. I'm saying a certain group makes the most noise. Which does not contradict your statement. Nor does your "statistics (<-- no stats)" contradict it.
Nope, the only thing I’ve pointed out are the logical and factual flaws in you guys arguments.

Remember, YOU are the one making the assertion that the “noise maker” constituted the majority or “make the most noise”, whatever that even means. As the claimant, the burden of proof is upon you to support your claims. And proper understanding of statistics has everything to do with it, as anyone with a grasp of the concept can immediately point out to you that anecdotal experience with sample size that likely numbers below, or at the most in the 3 digits that by definition are not gathered with any type of meaningful methodology cannot be extrapolated to cover tens of millions of people with any degree of accuracy.

But hey, if you have the data to back up your claims, we’re all waiting with open ears.

Quote:
Ah yes, reality is trolling. How... How could I put links to what Sony actually said! Yes, I understand. Sony isn't wrong for saying things. We are wrong for telling others they said it! (Eh?)
I was referring to your borderline personal attacks and attempts at mockery. As I said, I don’t care about the companies, what makes you think I would care about what some execs says? More often than not it’s justl PR or lies, or both.
Old 2014-02-28, 16:02   Link #1358
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:

A common misconception for some odd reason, considering that the information is freely available to anyone who care to look. Gaming is actually among the smallest revenue generator for Sony, with the major profit generator being their banking/finance service, and entertainment arms (who here knew that Sony owns Breaking Bad? )
Oh, I know that Sony isn't just a gaming company. I learned that a while ago. I was just trying to say that pretty much every company making good quality games is in trouble right now, and this is a reason why I think it's a bad idea to kill off any decent/good/amazing consoles that aren't selling well especially since the gaming industry will probably die if this happens because of Amazon/Google/Apple all trying to change the gaming industry at the same time.

I'm just worried about the divisiveness of the industry and all of the hate on Nintendo (from the media) because I really like the company as a large creative outlet in the gaming industry.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 16:17   Link #1359
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Nope, the only thing I’ve pointed out are the logical and factual flaws in you guys arguments.

Remember, YOU are the one making the assertion that the “noise maker” constituted the majority or “make the most noise”, whatever that even means. As the claimant, the burden of proof is upon you to support your claims. And proper understanding of statistics has everything to do with it, as anyone with a grasp of the concept can immediately point out to you that anecdotal experience with sample size that likely numbers below, or at the most in the 3 digits that by definition are not gathered with any type of meaningful methodology cannot be extrapolated to cover tens of millions of people with any degree of accuracy.

But hey, if you have the data to back up your claims, we’re all waiting with open ears.
If you don't even know what it means, then it doesn't matter then. You can believe otherwise that Sony and their cockroaches aren't as bad as people think, and I will believe the other way. No one is foolish to search for data that not even the person that asked for it cares for.

Quote:
I was referring to your borderline personal attacks and attempts at mockery. As I said, I don’t care about the companies, what makes you think I would care about what some execs says? More often than not it’s justl PR or lies, or both.
Public Relations (Destroying them)
Lies (Reality is trolling)
Oh yeah, and I love how they rigged Capcom's polls and got scolded in front of the world. That's how you keep a relationship, right, David Manning?

Quote:
I'm just worried about the divisiveness of the industry and all of the hate on Nintendo (from the media) because I really like the company as a large creative outlet in the gaming industry.
It's because Nintendo is like this... Valedictorian of the gaming industry, so whenever ANYTHING happens with them that is negative, the media dogs swarm around the bait.
I mean, think about it. Sony is always in danger and losing money and firing people. Do the media care? Do the people care? No, because it is the usual. Sony, junk status, all of that great stuff. Media does not care about stuff that no one else cares about.
That, and I'm oh-so-sure that Sony does not have anything to do with the media.

Also, I guess Nikkei and co. hate Nintendo because Nintendo does not leak information to them and instead uses Nintendo Direct to tell customers themselves.
But considering how wonderfully trustworthy those rumor sites are (no, they are not news sites), it is not a surprise Nintendo chose to ignore them.

Old 2014-02-28, 17:30   Link #1360
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
I was just trying to say that pretty much every company making good quality games is in trouble right now, and this is a reason why I think it's a bad idea to kill off any decent/good/amazing consoles that aren't selling well especially since the gaming industry will probably die if this happens because of Amazon/Google/Apple all trying to change the gaming industry at the same time.
Those that can stay competitive, will stay alive, those who can't, will perish, it's simple as that. The Dreamcast was a great system, but that didn't help Sega much.

The gaming industry isn't going to die, unless humans suddenly lost interest in entertainment. It's simply changing, for better or worse.

Quote:
What, exactly, are all the hate on Nintendo from the media? outside of an article that bashed their hardware support and coverage about the company's losses, I haven't heard of much. And if that's enough to constitute hating on Nintendo... I don't know what to tell ya, other than perhaps you should watch non-gaming news to know what actual "hating on" by media is like.

Quote:
If you don't even know what it means, then it doesn't matter then. You can believe otherwise that Sony and their cockroaches aren't as bad as people think, and I will believe the other way.
And the fanboyism comes out in full display...

I highly suggest you go back and carefully read what I wrote again, because all the points I made went straight over your head, but I'll put it as simple as I possibly can:

Person A stops at a gas station to fill up gas, gets robbed by a couple guys of (insert ethnicity here)descent, and promptly claims that all or most members of said ethnicity/race are criminals and thugs.

In both you and Person A's case, you both decided to apply your limited personal experience as the "norm", despite the obvious grossly inadequate sample size.

And FYI, I find fanboyism of all stripes to be toxic to the gaming community, whether they're Sony fanboys, or Nintendo fanboys.

Quote:
No one is foolish to search for data that not even the person that asked for it cares for.
Missed the point again. The point is that THERE IS NO SUCH DATA AVAILABLE, which means your claim is by default unsubstantiated. It is no more accurate than if I had went to a couple Mexican restaurants and then declare that every single Mexican restaurants in the world have good service or bad.

Quote:
It's because Nintendo is like this... Valedictorian of the gaming industry,
Excuse me, I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Quote:
so whenever ANYTHING happens with them that is negative, the media dogs swarm around the bait.
Oh please, playing "the mainstream media!" card? what are you, a Fox News anchor?

Quote:
I mean, think about it. Sony is always in danger and losing money and firing people. Do the media care? Do the people care? No, because it is the usual. Sony, junk status, all of that great stuff. Media does not care about stuff that no one else cares about.
That, and I'm oh-so-sure that Sony does not have anything to do with the media.
I'm sorry to break the news to you, but the actual real media doesn't give two shits about videogames in general. The fact that you'd substitute gaming news as general media says plenty about your limited perspective. The actual mainstream media had more coverage about Flappy Bird in two days than about Nintendo or Sony's woes in the past year combined.

Sony and Nintendo may be rivals in an industry you care about, but in the grand scheme of things one is still only a videogame company, while the other is a struggling international conglomerate trying to turn itself around. There are plenty of news about Sony when warranted, but I doubt you're the type that would frequent the sites that actually covers them.

This whole tirade tells me that you are viewing everything through the lense of a video gamer, specifically a Nintendo gamer.

Last edited by kyp275; 2014-02-28 at 18:45.

Tags
3ds, dsi, nintendo, nintendo 3ds, nintendo ds