AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-26, 20:22   Link #1201
Shadow5YA

I find it funny how BRS, the franchise's flagship heroine, barely gets any characterization or personality of her own. It's all by proxy through Mato.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 20:34   Link #1202
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I find it funny how BRS, the franchise's flagship heroine, barely gets any characterization or personality of her own. It's all by proxy through Mato.
I think it's because of how the premise of the Otherworld is set up -- the Otherselves don't have emotions, which means that they don't have personalities by extension, and only act on instinct. Until Strength awakened that is. The ending kind of alludes that BRS finally does gain emotions as well (which is one of the likely reasons she decided to leave STR alone), but it's probably too late for everyone waiting for it, ahaha.
Old 2012-03-26, 20:51   Link #1203
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I think it's because of how the premise of the Otherworld is set up -- the Otherselves don't have emotions, which means that they don't have personalities by extension, and only act on instinct. Until Strength awakened that is. The ending kind of alludes that BRS finally does gain emotions as well (which is one of the likely reasons she decided to leave STR alone), but it's probably too late for everyone waiting for it, ahaha.
I know why BRS and the rest don't. I'm saying that the premise is flawed because of that.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 22:01   Link #1204
dan-heron

well, Stella, Rock and BRS all have the theme of finding themselves through the ordeals they go through. BRS is just Mato taken to the darker extreme
dan-heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 22:43   Link #1205
Asuras
Dictadere~!

The shit did I just watch.

I wanted to yell "TASTE THE RAINBOW" for the latter half of the final episode.

But in all seriousness, can someone explain to me exactly what just happened here? I still don't understand how this whole Otherworld thing works, or the motives behind many of the characters.
Old 2012-03-27, 00:24   Link #1206
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Rewatch the entire series at least three times.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 01:32   Link #1207
dan-heron

or just once and pay attention
dan-heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 02:40   Link #1208
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
But in all seriousness, can someone explain to me exactly what just happened here? I still don't understand how this whole Otherworld thing works, or the motives behind many of the characters.

The Otherworld is a parallel dimension, that sort of exists to carry the emotional burden of emotional females. It's as simple as that. The characters of the Otherworld (BRS, STR, Chariot etc.) are basically all proxies for the girls in the real world, and all the battles they have with each other relieve mental and emotional stress for their counterparts. It's as simple as that. The series itself hints enough of this, one just has to pay attention.

The Otherselves prior to STR had no motivations or emotions of their own: they just are, and just function on instinct. This sort of changes at the end though, at least where STR and BRS are concerned.
Old 2012-03-27, 03:51   Link #1209
novalysis

Quote:
Mato is BRS. BRS is Mato's soul. So, BRS characterization is Mato.

Unless something analogous to the Strength/Yuu scenario occurred to Mato....

Seriously speaking though, I personally thought that a very good example of how disfocused the first part of this anime was was the fact that they didn't focus on Strength's pre-existing friendship with Mato. Had they played that up instead, and made Yomi a little less prominent, quite alot of the melodrama and hasty attempts at what passes for character and relationship development could easily have been cut out instead in the first few episodes. To me, Mato and Yuu relationship is the center of the plot, and Yomi is one huge red herring.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 06:17   Link #1210
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

It was a meh series overall imo.

Worth watching though, gave me my weekly dose of action & BA moments.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 13:01   Link #1211
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
I know why BRS and the rest don't. I'm saying that the premise is flawed because of that.
From the art you expect BRS to be emotionless. Having a personality is not necessarily a good thing in this case.

The manga/game version have one; personally I like the emotionless BRS.
Old 2012-03-27, 20:02   Link #1212
silvercover
Romance Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Mato is BRS. BRS is Mato's soul. So, BRS characterization is Mato.

Unless something analogous to the Strength/Yuu scenario occurred to Mato....

Seriously speaking though, I personally thought that a very good example of how disfocused the first part of this anime was was the fact that they didn't focus on Strength's pre-existing friendship with Mato. Had they played that up instead, and made Yomi a little less prominent, quite alot of the melodrama and hasty attempts at what passes for character and relationship development could easily have been cut out instead in the first few episodes. To me, Mato and Yuu relationship is the center of the plot, and Yomi is one huge red herring.
though thats only for the OVA and anime really, the manga/game prove otherwise. just saying that BRS could still have her own personality different from her, as in give a different kind of setting if the focus was wanted on the action side.

yeah your right on that. and that also pretty much nulls the argument that changing DM design was fine since that means there was no special relationship, or difference, on mato and yomi to the one in the OVA
silvercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 20:43   Link #1213
Shinn_Kabuto
Ore wa Kyasshan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Hmm... maybe the others also gained emotions as well, not only BRS and STR. But that's just me.
Shinn_Kabuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 02:36   Link #1214
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

What's this teaser?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFHGTe7MvBA
Old 2012-03-28, 02:41   Link #1215
Creed
Mad Hatter

Send a message via Yahoo to Creed
Isn't that just episode eight's next time preview?

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something . . .
Creed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 02:41   Link #1216
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
What's this teaser?
That's just the preview for Episode 8, as shown in the series website after episode 7. Nothing more.
Old 2012-03-28, 11:53   Link #1217
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
What's this teaser?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFHGTe7MvBA
Its title says in english:

"Black★Rock Shooter 【ブラック★ロックシューター】 TV Episode 8 Preview [HD]"
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 22:10   Link #1218
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Lol, I love how three people had to bother saying the exact same thing.

Anyway, finally watched episodes 6-8. Fighting scene visuals were great. Not much can be said for the story's ending... Seems like the script was just haphazardly slapped together to me (not just for the ending, but the series as a whole). Just... meh.
Old 2012-03-28, 23:15   Link #1219
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Lol, I love how three people had to bother saying the exact same thing.
Don't you ever hit quote before reading the rest of the posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Anyway, finally watched episodes 6-8. Fighting scene visuals were great. Not much can be said for the story's ending... Seems like the script was just haphazardly slapped together to me (not just for the ending, but the series as a whole). Just... meh.
That "meh" is too painful when one looks at the original art
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-29, 01:04   Link #1220
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

^I was saying meh at the SCRIPT and the ENDING, NOT huke's source art. I would never.

Tags
action, slice of life