AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-31, 23:56   Link #521
Jehuty

It was certainly condensed, but it wasn't as bad as some people here make it out to be.

Spoiler:

One other thing -- the vocalized version of Kimi wa Dare o Mamotte Iru was pretty awesome. I really enjoyed it

I wish we'd get a newly arranged instrumental version of it though.
Old 2012-04-01, 04:10   Link #522
Blaat

They should have recasted Kaoru and Misato, they're too old for their role.
Old 2012-04-01, 04:28   Link #523
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

^
I felt that Kaoru was still the same. A little bit rougher at times but still the same Kaoru. That's the only highlight I've found so far: the cast remains the same.

Sad that Saito's couldn't return. I miss him. But his replacement ain't bad.
Old 2012-04-01, 05:33   Link #524
Kirarakim

So I am wondering how was Soujiro's role in this OVA? He was my favorite character in the Kyoto arc.
Old 2012-04-01, 05:42   Link #525
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
My experience with Okada goes something like this:

*watches Ano Hana* "Hey this Ano Hana show is actually pretty good and solidly written....wait what's that? She wanted to do WHAT with the script originally?"

*watches anything she's written for since* "Oh my good lord!"

I don't know if that projects she's been getting give her no room to work with (honestly I don't know how anybody writes a great script for a Black Rock Shooter anime to be fit into 8 episodes) or she's just not that imaginative or creative but man for somebody that's as prolific as she is becoming her scripts don't really do that much to impress and are about as safe as your average anime scriptwriters work these days. No idea why she has become so singled out to write for so many heavily hyped projects of late over her peers.
Hah, I won't blame her for BRS, since no writer on Earth could come up with something compelling in that short timeframe with such a flimsy premise. As for her inane idea for AnoHana, well... a lot of first drafts are terrible.

And once upon a time (well, actually 2008) Okada did write something much more daring and compelling called True Tears. Though certainly the directing helped out a lot, it was as far away from a cliche anime romance as you could get and was not just plastic and manufactured as say... (this Kenshin work seems to be... cough). To this very day, True Tears remains horrifically underrated, and is what diehard fans remembers of her writing.

Of course, being daring doesn't mean you'll do well, and True Tears sold like piss. It's spiritual successor, Hana Saku Iroha, also had a similar style for the first 2 episodes, but it wasn't until the third episode til they resorted to crappy pervy humor and then sales skyrocketed. -_- So what lesson did that send?

Though there was a slight glimmer of hope, when TT became a cult favorite of sorts and was somewhat redeemed.

But none of this explains why she's getting roles like Kenshin and Lupin, and random mecha which has proven woefully unprepared for it. It would seem like they want to attach a popular name regardless if they are suited. It's like putting in a famous chess player to play Starcraft...

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 05:57   Link #526
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

after watching first part, I find out that the art and setting are quite similar with the OVA (well, I haven't watch it because I don't really like the gloomy and dark setting)

My expectation is they will re-animate the Shishio's arc with better animation but looks like they changed the whole story.... I remember some comical situations and I don't see any of that scene here... miss the old Kenshin (yeah! I know that he's quite serious during arc but I think he and Misao have some funny scenes together)
They also add some 'adult' scene, eh?

I'll wait for 2nd part then...
the ending song is very good... xD

Last edited by ~Yami~; 2012-04-01 at 09:15.
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 08:57   Link #527
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty View Post
Spoiler:
Yeah, that worries me. BEcause, well...

Spoiler for spoilspoil:

Anyway, so far rather good, if yet a bit short/rushed. The atmosphere is darker for sure, but not quite as dark or gloomy as the others... Yet <_<
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 21:52   Link #528
Azuma Denton
~AD~

What am i watching here??
Looks like my expectation is too high...

While the animation is good, but everything else sucks...
The fighting is bland, too bland. Not enough emphasize, eventhough Kenshin is known for its fighting scene... Not enough impact on the fighting scenes...

Seriously, they dont animate the thousand steps from Soujirou?
Spoiler for arrgh:

Ow this is just horrible...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 02:05   Link #529
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

I personally dislike the animation. All the characters look similar to their original selves but only Shishio and Yumi look a bit like Nobuhiro Watsuki's design. Ugh... so much fail.

Also, the fight scenes are horrible. They are almost nonexistent. I am sad about that. The fight with Chou used to be one of those fights I found memorable for the action sequence but they chopped it down into a simple turn motion for Kenshin to deal with Chou and excluded Misao actually understanding whom Kenshin was as a hitokiri...

Once again, so much fail...

This is nowhere near the OVAs of the past. I give credit to Seisou-hen for one thing: it went in the direct order it was supposed to for how everyone met and battled. This time around, all of the scenes are completely changed around. Everyone is placed in completely new spots with the exception of Chou and Sanosuke. A good example is Yahiko and Kaoru meeting up with Hiko before Kenshin arrives and him learning from Saito that they're around--they literally butchered the whole emotional build in which RuroKen had in this arc.

And the sex scene... eww... I... I couldn't watch. I actually skipped every last thing Shishio said, caring not for his dialogue any longer and just jumping back to Kenshin, if possible.

I... I'll watch the next OVA as a Kenshin fan, but if they go in the wrong direction, I'll ignore anything they plan to do in the future, even if they do the Jinchu arc. I might watch the live-action film though.

By the way, Azuma Denton, the battle in which those "thousand steps" happens was after Kenshin broke his sakabato, when he infiltrated Shishio's manor with Sanosuke and Saito, after his fight with Aoshi. So they haven't gotten to it yet. But don't get your hopes too high.
Old 2012-04-03, 01:02   Link #530
LaSean

Yeah this is horrible so far.
The pacing is really bad, and it's just not interesting.
I keep finding myself wandering off to watch or do other things (like now).
When I do get back to watching I find myself thinking how boring this is. I'm 12mins in and I having a hard time watching this. The original RK caught my attention as soon as it started and kept it, this new RK OVA can't do that.
Also I really dislike the animation it's so...generic,. It has no personality and it's seriously lacking in detail. I was really excited to have some new RK but they really dropped the ball with this. Hopefully the next part is going to be better but I doubt it.

It feels like the whole thing was rushed and has a small budget. Especially when compared to the other current OVAs.
LaSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 02:25   Link #531
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

So-so it was so rushed. The fights were meh.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 15:42   Link #532
lightbringer
M9000

I'm not sure what I just watched but it was certainly not Kenshin. OK, the animation was serviceable, but all fights were cut down to the bare minimum and most important setup scenes were cut, and the rest was changed so much that characterization completely broke down in some instances, plot stopped making sense, characters were privy to information they should not be privy to. And wow, they sure rushed through it. I had no expectations going in, didn't even know there'll be an OVA, but I'm quite disappointed.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 12:28   Link #533
tera_ha

Love new the trailer for the live action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgxAOyyoY98
Old 2012-06-30, 20:28   Link #534
xellos2099

The live action seems mire interesting than THESE ova.
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 00:17   Link #535
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

So I've finally gotten the chance to watch this OVA... Now, I have already came prepared to expect a condensed a rushed version of the story so this part doesn't bother me at all.

However what I find unforgiving is how WEAK every single fight scene was I mean my god, the original TV series and even the Trust and Betrayal OVAs had beyond badass fight scenes that oozes with visceral style and power- and those were made around a decade ago -_-
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 01:06   Link #536
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tera_ha View Post

Looks like I'll have plenty of fun with this movie.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 02:28   Link #537
wagnerr
philosopher stone power

kensin oav is not amusing to watch
often destroying stories.
wagnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 06:05   Link #538
ElCachicamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tera_ha View Post

I've seen enough Samurai films to know that this thing looks pretty bad. I understand if people, specially otaku are excited about this movie but it looks like a cartoon. When you have a wonderful legacy of great jidaigeki classics you should aim way higher.

Rurouni Kenshin need a similar tone to that in Twilight Samurai. It's funny how Trust and Betrayal was more grounded.

Twilight Samurai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sEdxb3I3dk

Harakiri
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfswo9ZClas

Ame agaru
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnh7l1pngU8

Samurai Rebellion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzZmqsVs9V8

Sword Of Doom (sorry, I couldn't find the original Trailer)BTW. If you like Shigurui this film is for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq0g58ovd-E

Ogawa no Hotori
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcxWfdW27zI

I mean there are hundred of examples and they go for the more cartoon like approach. I don't get it at all.
ElCachicamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 07:23   Link #539
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCachicamo View Post

I mean there are hundred of examples and they go for the more cartoon like approach. I don't get it at all.
Simple, because there's no reason to make it into something that it's not.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 14:00   Link #540
Vena
Carpe Diem

Finally got around to this...

See, let's be reasonable, I can understand that you'd need to change the story a bit, move around key players, or even remove some key players to make the story serviceable and manageable for the constrained OVA format that you're working with. But when you do that AND your story still feels hopelessly rushed, crammed, and paced as if it were riding in a 1957s missing-the-fourth-wheel Trabant, you've done something very, very wrong. The creative and writers license is meant to take something that cannot be fit in standard form and fit in a less standard but better fit form given the medium of presentation, not take the standard form and present in a jumbled, nonsensical mess that does no favors to the source or the viewer. (It also doesn't work when you dismantle the main character into a caricature of himself, losing much of the impact of many of his scenes, background, and effects on the other characters.)

There were so many wasted scenes (why was there a sex scene?) that I cannot help but wonder who thought adding them in was a good idea, especially since a lot of the time wasted seems to have taken away from the strengths of the source: the fighting.

Oy.

Tags
action, historical, shounen