AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-03, 13:48   Link #2041
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I'm not sure how this is supposed to smear Romney's name. Military service isn't something that anyone should feel obligated to volunteer for, and even if he dodged the Vietnam draft I wouldn't care because I consider the concept of drafting people into war wrong to begin with.
You're really quick to jump to conclusions you know? Why do you think that every article is intended to smear Romney? That one seems to just be talking about Presidential politics and why military service up until recently was considered almost a requirement for a President to have.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2012-11-03, 13:50   Link #2042
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
You're really quick to jump to conclusions you know?
Well, I didn't read the article, but uh... sorry for assuming that a post with an accusatory undertone, from a poster that voices dislike of Romney in most of his posts here, meant it as a point against him?
Old 2012-11-03, 13:52   Link #2043
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Unlike President Clinton, Romney did support the US goals in Vietnam and reportedly debated with the French over it while on missionary their during the war.

Why Catholic France needs Mormon missionaries, I don't know. Romney spent the time the draft was going on in school or on mission in France, coming home around the time the draft was ending, getting married and having a mountain of children (as is Morman custom it seems).

Romney's father worked with Nixon by the 1970s after losing his own bid for President in 1968. Mitt changed is stance on Vietnam to reflect well on his father who ran on a platform to end the war.
Old 2012-11-03, 13:59   Link #2044
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Unlike President Clinton, Romney did support the US goals in Vietnam and reportedly debated with the French over it while on missionary their during the war.

Why Catholic France needs Mormon missionaries, I don't know. Romney spent the time the draft was going on in school or on mission in France, coming home around the time the draft was ending, getting married and having a mountain of children (as is Morman custom it seems).

Romney's father worked with Nixon by the 1970s after losing his own bid for President in 1968. Mitt changed is stance on Vietnam to reflect well on his father who ran on a platform to end the war.
Fundamentally, the problem is it puts Romney in with the many other "neo-con chickenhawks". People who support war (and Romney protested FOR the war) but they themselves were "too good to serve", using exemptions and connections to avoid service. It is at the very heart of the corrosive self-ordained "aristocracy" in the US.
Old 2012-11-03, 14:04   Link #2045
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Obama avoids that problem simple due to the time of his birth. He was far too young to serve in Vietnam (though he was in Southeast Asia at the time), and by the time of the Gulf War, he was about to graduate from Law School. By the time of the next conflict, he was a Senator.
Old 2012-11-03, 14:08   Link #2046
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Obama avoids that problem simple due to the time of his birth. He was far too young to serve in Vietnam (though he was in Southeast Asia at the time), and by the time of the Gulf War, he was about to graduate from Law School. By the time of the next conflict, he was a Senator.
Yup, and also the draft was no longer in gear after Vietnam. Draft avoidance while supporting a war requires a draft.
Old 2012-11-03, 14:17   Link #2047
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In think (if they went that route) I could still be drafted, but they usually go for younger men. But unless we go into an all out war with someone major, I don't see it as politically viable to restart the Draft. Even with our military presently overtaxes and tired after ten years of small conflicts, we still don't have a need for a draft without a major war flaring up. I don't think even Iran would warrent a draft just yet.

A non-nuclear war with China....yeah a Draft would be needed there...and we do not have enough people to invade that country without nuking or at least carpet bombing it first. Being out numbered in total population by more than 2 to 1 does not make for good odds if your technolgy can't overcome those numbers.
Old 2012-11-03, 14:20   Link #2048
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
RUPERT MURDOCH: If Chris Christie Doesn't 'Re-Declare' For Mitt Romney, He'll Be Blamed For His Loss
http://www.businessinsider.com/murdo...y-mitt-2012-11
Both seem to try to give Romney excuse for losing, other than his stance on pretty much everyting.
The old scumbag is not having trouble with British justice over tapping phone lines by News of the World? Murdoch should just get lost and disappear for everyone's sake.
Old 2012-11-03, 14:24   Link #2049
Dr. Casey

I hope there's never a draft again... I think it's morally wrong and goes against the very first line of the Constitution's Preamble (Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness). Forcing someone into a life or death struggle sounds to me rather alienating towards a right that is supposed to be 'unalienable.'

Quote:
In think (if they went that route) I could still be drafted, but they usually go for younger men.
I thought the draft was only for men aged 18-26?
Old 2012-11-03, 14:51   Link #2050
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Probably. It was raised at one point to 35, but I can't remember if it was lowered again to 26. I would be a 5-A if I recall.
Old 2012-11-03, 14:56   Link #2051
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Personally, I've always been a fan of the idea of "civil service" requirements, say, for anyone 18-20 required and then after that it was voluntary. (kind of like the "reserve" in other countries - or a cleaned up version of the "citizen militia/civil defense").

But yeah, the sense of community just isn't there so I'd have no idea how to bootstrap something like that.
Old 2012-11-03, 15:09   Link #2052
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Personally, I've always been a fan of the idea of "civil service" requirements, say, for anyone 18-20 required and then after that it was voluntary. (kind of like the "reserve" in other countries - or a cleaned up version of the "citizen militia/civil defense").

But yeah, the sense of community just isn't there so I'd have no idea how to bootstrap something like that.
100% agree with this.
As Thomas Jefferson once wrote to Peter Carr in 1785:
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore by the constant companion of your walks."

Mixed with civil service (like helping to clean up trash, etc.) a properly formed, regulated (trained), and funded militia would do wonders for the youth of the US today.
I served 4 years in the USAF, 2 in the National Guard, and am still a member of the CMP after 20 years. It has done me a great deal of good in helping to build confidence, character, and a sense of responsibility to my community (which includes facing down local officials at town meetings who are corrupt).

I long for the return of the Dept. of Civilian Marksmanship that Theodore Roosevelt created for just that purpose.
Old 2012-11-03, 15:17   Link #2053
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I don't know if Boy Scouts counts at all, but I was in Boy Scouts in one capacity of another for about 15 years. I was never a Cub Scout, so it was Boy Scout (earning the rank of Eagle Scout) and Explorer for a number of years than acting as an Assistant Scoutmaster for the remainder of that time until work made me far too tired on our meeting nights to continue (nearly falling asleep at a meeting does not set a good example). I stayed in until the last one I had seen enter while I was a Scout turned 18.
Old 2012-11-03, 19:44   Link #2054
james0246

I've deleted the off topic draft discussion, especially the unnecesarily aggressive direction the discussion took. Please move along, nothing to see here.
Old 2012-11-03, 19:45   Link #2055
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I've deleted the off topic draft discussion, especially the unnecesarily aggressive direction the discussion took. Please move along, nothing to see here.
I thought the last post I made was pretty civil :(
Old 2012-11-03, 19:47   Link #2056
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I thought the last post I made was pretty civil
If you would like it back, I can send it to you and you can pm it to others. Otherwise, the discussion has run its course.
Old 2012-11-03, 19:48   Link #2057
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
If you would like it gack, I can send it to you and you can pm it to others. Otherwise, the discussion has run its course.
Naw, don't worry, I saved the post.

Welp, three days until the big day...
Old 2012-11-03, 20:12   Link #2058
Lost Cause

Quote:
Probably. It was raised at one point to 35, but I can't remember if it was lowered again to 26. I would be a 5-A if I recall.
During World War 2 it was 18-45.
And the former Soviet Union had a mandatory 2 year service for all makes prior to going to college.
Old 2012-11-03, 22:40   Link #2059
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
You are right in a general sense, but the point still remains that the anti-Obama fodder isn't as simple as race-card many seem to believe at. It's more of an ideological stance that divides between liberalism and conservatism. There won't be a riot regardless of the outcome.
I'm not sure how big of a factor the race-card is. I know it isn't the only factor and I know not all anti-Obama people are racist against blacks, but I think the race-card matters a good amount, not just "kinda". People could be a bit racist or very racist, and then their dislike for Obama's ideologies feed off of that, and then you end up with some of the nastiest anti-Obama people.

I know there are plenty of people that hate Obama that aren't racist against blacks, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more people that hold Obama's race against him than some of you guys think. They don't all have to be very racist. It could be a more mild racism.

Whoever wins the election, we probably won't get riots, but I'm starting to get pessimistic about politics in America. I'm starting to get pessimistic about American citizens and politics. It seems like they've become nastier and uglier than ever before with politics and how they conduct themselves when involved in it. It just seems like, in these regards, we are just sliding down and down. Just look at the "debates" this year. A real shame. Romney sets the tone for them all with his aggressiveness and rudeness, and then we have Biden playing the game to try to win his debate and he overcompensates, and then we have Obama playing this game and he is interrupting more and being more aggressive. These things ended up being the things that won the debates. Undecided voters were less swayed about what the politicians actually said and whether or not what they said was even true and if they even agreed with the stances they've held for months!

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-11-03 at 22:51.
Old 2012-11-03, 23:19   Link #2060
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It matters a great deal in the South, especially with the 'dixiecrat' faction that jumped to the GOP after 1964. Their sons and daughters still think the same way. The question is, will the vote be suppressed/manipulated in key counties and will enough people irritated at the 'dixiecrats' show up to vote.

Early analysis is that, in North Carolina for example, there's an unexpected turn-out of "unlikely voters". Now there's a spin on the bottle